Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is Brexit still happening? 11:08 - Jul 13 with 84151 viewstcblue

Almost everyone involved has said it will be a catastrophe, and the only person still thinking it's a good idea is failed politician radio host Nigel Farage. Even Boris and POB got the jobs they were perhaps angling for out of it so won't be pro anymore.

I just don't get it. Yes, there was an election with a result - but was that really done properly with an informed electorate?

I don't really give a toss if this is dismissed as snowflaking. It is obvious that Brexit will make this country significantly worse off, and for some reason we still have our foot on the gas despite being ten feet away from the cliff edge.

If there were true principles and strong leaders in our politics (whichever colour) nowadays, we would be having conversations about not respecting the will of the 52% right now.

Everyone in politics wants to pull the parachute. I'm sure of it.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:26 - Jun 23 with 3519 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:05 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

That's all well and good but it is history now, we have to wipe our mouths and move on.

Of course the real problem is never addressed, The EU is a gravy train for unelected bureaucrats.

The EU needed massive transformation but no one spoke about it so we got Brexit.

Brexit and Trump are a direct result of people being afraid to debate complex issues.

Please don't take offence but to be honest Herby you are part of the problem, as soon as someone says something that you don't like on here you suggest they are a racist, it's pretty boring to be honest. The word racist is batted around too often for no reason, it is a tool to hit people with and to stop them from expressing their opinions.

Personally I am very much pro immigration, I genuinely get a lift when I'm out shopping and hear different languages, I love being able to buy quality fresh meat at a reasonable price from foreign mini marts.,I love the fact that I can buy fresh herbs, I love visiting Portuguese cafes for some quality coffee and I love the fact that these people wanted to come and live with us.

Trouble is, If anyone suggests for example that knife crime has surged nationwide largely due to unrestricted and unvetted mass immigration (which is as plain as day) they get called a racist. The result of this is that people think that UKIP and Tommy Robinson are the only ones listening.

Also, take Farage. He gets a pounding on here but he is an excellent orator and a very skilled man. He is very interesting to listen to and comes up with some great points. I also love listening to George Galloway, I think he is fantastic to listen to as well. By saying that either of these are skilled individuals doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything they say and I shouldn't be pigeon holed if I think they have a point about something.

Who have I called a racist?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:26 - Jun 23 with 3517 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:08 - Jun 23 by Benters2

At you alright?

It's a simple question, what bit are you struggling with?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:28 - Jun 23 with 3494 viewsBenters2

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:26 - Jun 23 by BrixtonBlue

It's a simple question, what bit are you struggling with?

Did you ask me a question,i thought you were being mean.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:35 - Jun 23 with 3494 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:18 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

Oh Dolly. It's not whatabouterry. It's a direct like for like comparison.

Business have said that in the event of no deal being reached then they may move out of the country, jobs will be affected and the economy will take a hit (note: THIS ALSO HASN'T HAPPENED YET)

Business have said that in the event of Labour winning the election then they may move out of the country, jobs will be affected and the economy will take a hit.

You, and any other person who voted Labour at the last election must vacate the moral high ground that leads you to call out those of us who cast a vote to leave the EU if you are going to base your argument purely on economics.

Secondly, you can't use the excuse that your vote for Labour was a losing vote whereas my vote to leave the EU was a winning vote. Esecialy if you are going to cast that vote in the same direction at the next election. Business have said they will have to releocate if Labour win the election. Will you be voting for that the next time around old boy?

Thirdly, Brexit has happened yet. Unemployemnet is down. Employment is up.

Forththly. You voted for a man to become Chancellor who cheered when the economy crashed and thousands of people lost their businesses, jobs and homes. Again you have vacated the moral high ground on the issue of Boris the buffoon saying "F*** business*".

*Do you have a direct link to a reliable report that he actualy did say that. Seems odd considering you have speant the past God knows how long sayin g that the Tories are only in it to help big business and screw the little man.

More bull from you. Of course it's whatabouterry. We were talking about Brexit not Corbyn's mythical effect on business had he won the election. Then you said WHATABOUT Corbyn.

"You voted for a man to become Chancellor who cheered when the economy crashed and thousands of people lost their businesses, jobs and homes. Again you have vacated the moral high ground on the issue of Boris the buffoon saying "F*** business*"."

What utter cretinous disingenuous nonsense. Where did I vote for a Chancellor?! Where have I "based my argument purely on economics?!?!" Please tell me where. As far as I was aware all I said was Boris saying, "F*** business" was moronic.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:36 - Jun 23 with 3492 viewsLord_Lucan

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:26 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Who have I called a racist?

It's something you constantly do.

Simple as.

There are a whole load of people on here that chuck it around as soon as someone says something they disagree with.

Now I may be a borderline alcoholic who gets into too many scrapes for a man of his age and I may post some incessant garbage on here but at least I can admit to it and shock horror - I am not an uneducated man.

If anything I am slightly left leaning but some of the absolute cr4p that I read on here makes me think I am in some 6th form common room talking to a spotty tvvat wearing a Dr Who scarf and a second world war Great Coat.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 15:38]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:37 - Jun 23 with 3492 viewsm14_blue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:22 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

If I ever have a moment of doubt regarding my vote I shall simply re read that post.

If you haven't had a moment of doubt already then you're not the man I think you are.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:40 - Jun 23 with 3474 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:36 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Simple as.

There are a whole load of people on here that chuck it around as soon as someone says something they disagree with.

Now I may be a borderline alcoholic who gets into too many scrapes for a man of his age and I may post some incessant garbage on here but at least I can admit to it and shock horror - I am not an uneducated man.

If anything I am slightly left leaning but some of the absolute cr4p that I read on here makes me think I am in some 6th form common room talking to a spotty tvvat wearing a Dr Who scarf and a second world war Great Coat.

Sorry mate but you're talking bollox.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:42 - Jun 23 with 3451 viewsBenters2

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:36 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Simple as.

Good man.
Login to get fewer ads

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:43 - Jun 23 with 3462 viewsLord_Lucan

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:40 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Righty ho.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:43 - Jun 23 with 3441 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:40 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Well that didn't take long to google.

14th post down.

Theresa defeated.... by ElderGrizzly 13 Dec 2017 19:30
Whoops :)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/13/tory-brexit-rebels-inflict-major-defeat-on-theresa-may

Theresa May has lost a Brexit vote in the Commons for the first time.

MPs voted to back the Dominic Grieve amendment by 309 votes to 305 - a majority of four.
The amendment will curb some of the powers the government is giving itself in the EU withdrawal bill. Specifically, it means that although clause 9 of the bill gives ministers powers to implement the Brexit withdrawal agreement by order, the amendment that has been passed means says they can only exercise these powers “subject to the prior enactment of a statute by parliament approving the final terms of withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.”

Opposition MPs also claim the amendment gives parliament a “meaningful vote” on the withdrawal agreement. This is contested because ministers say parliament is already going to get a meaningful vote. But what it will mean is that ministers will not be able to use the powers in clause 9 to implement the EU withdrawal bill by order until the Commons has passed the bill allowing this. See

Around a dozen Tory MPs rebelled, according to Labour.

Would you like another example?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:45 - Jun 23 with 3451 viewsnoggin

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:05 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

That's all well and good but it is history now, we have to wipe our mouths and move on.

Of course the real problem is never addressed, The EU is a gravy train for unelected bureaucrats.

The EU needed massive transformation but no one spoke about it so we got Brexit.

Brexit and Trump are a direct result of people being afraid to debate complex issues.

Please don't take offence but to be honest Herby you are part of the problem, as soon as someone says something that you don't like on here you suggest they are a racist, it's pretty boring to be honest. The word racist is batted around too often for no reason, it is a tool to hit people with and to stop them from expressing their opinions.

Personally I am very much pro immigration, I genuinely get a lift when I'm out shopping and hear different languages, I love being able to buy quality fresh meat at a reasonable price from foreign mini marts.,I love the fact that I can buy fresh herbs, I love visiting Portuguese cafes for some quality coffee and I love the fact that these people wanted to come and live with us.

Trouble is, If anyone suggests for example that knife crime has surged nationwide largely due to unrestricted and unvetted mass immigration (which is as plain as day) they get called a racist. The result of this is that people think that UKIP and Tommy Robinson are the only ones listening.

Also, take Farage. He gets a pounding on here but he is an excellent orator and a very skilled man. He is very interesting to listen to and comes up with some great points. I also love listening to George Galloway, I think he is fantastic to listen to as well. By saying that either of these are skilled individuals doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything they say and I shouldn't be pigeon holed if I think they have a point about something.

Here we go again.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:47 - Jun 23 with 3440 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:43 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Righty ho.

You are. You do it a lot. You make stuff up to get your knickers in a twist about regardless of how well founded it is in reality.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:49 - Jun 23 with 3411 viewsBenters2

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:43 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

14th post down.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/13/tory-brexit-rebels-inflict-major-defeat-on-theresa-may

MPs voted to back the Dominic Grieve amendment by 309 votes to 305 - a majority of four.
The amendment will curb some of the powers the government is giving itself in the EU withdrawal bill. Specifically, it means that although clause 9 of the bill gives ministers powers to implement the Brexit withdrawal agreement by order, the amendment that has been passed means says they can only exercise these powers “subject to the prior enactment of a statute by parliament approving the final terms of withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.”

Opposition MPs also claim the amendment gives parliament a “meaningful vote” on the withdrawal agreement. This is contested because ministers say parliament is already going to get a meaningful vote. But what it will mean is that ministers will not be able to use the powers in clause 9 to implement the EU withdrawal bill by order until the Commons has passed the bill allowing this. See

Back of the net!
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:53 - Jun 23 with 3418 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:12 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

It's incredible arrogance and not worth even replying to IMO.

I see GB's being disingenuous as per.

Of course, I don't mean a fascist dictatorship. I mean that we move away from the current low point and get back to a more adult form of government and politics. Not addressing the underlying flaws in our system is just sticking our heads in the sand.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 15:54]

Pronouns: He/Him

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:53 - Jun 23 with 3417 viewsLord_Lucan

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:47 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

You are. You do it a lot. You make stuff up to get your knickers in a twist about regardless of how well founded it is in reality.

What have I made up?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:56 - Jun 23 with 3401 viewsDanTheMan

14th post down.

Calling a few people out of millions racists 6 months ago is hardly all the time.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:12 - Jun 23 with 3333 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:56 - Jun 23 by DanTheMan

Calling a few people out of millions racists 6 months ago is hardly all the time.

He does it constantly. Lucan has noticed it. I have noticed it. Without wanting to speak for J2 I'm pretty sure he has also challenged Herbie on this.

edit. This is classic Herbievore at the bottom of this thread. It sums up his views on those who voted for Brexit perfectly. I'm not sure why you are batting for this type of small minded bigotry Dan?

"The trade deals argument is just a cover for xenophobia, as are most arguments for Brexit".

They're not real tories by giant_stow 6 Feb 2018 10:28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42955553

Gloves off hey?!

[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 16:18]

Iron Lion Zion

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:13 - Jun 23 with 3325 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:53 - Jun 23 by Darth_Koont

I see GB's being disingenuous as per.

Of course, I don't mean a fascist dictatorship. I mean that we move away from the current low point and get back to a more adult form of government and politics. Not addressing the underlying flaws in our system is just sticking our heads in the sand.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 15:54]

So you just want a benevolent Dictatorship as a caretaker role until we can find a government, press and electorate that agrees with your point of view?

Iron Lion Zion

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:16 - Jun 23 with 3316 viewsHerbivore

14th post down.

That post was very obviously tongue in cheek, but well done. I see you didn't get a life during your break from here.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:19 - Jun 23 with 3304 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:12 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

He does it constantly. Lucan has noticed it. I have noticed it. Without wanting to speak for J2 I'm pretty sure he has also challenged Herbie on this.

edit. This is classic Herbievore at the bottom of this thread. It sums up his views on those who voted for Brexit perfectly. I'm not sure why you are batting for this type of small minded bigotry Dan?

"The trade deals argument is just a cover for xenophobia, as are most arguments for Brexit".

They're not real tories by giant_stow 6 Feb 2018 10:28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42955553

Gloves off hey?!

[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 16:18]

What nonsense. I see you've not gained any integrity during your break either.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:19 - Jun 23 with 3301 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:13 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

So you just want a benevolent Dictatorship as a caretaker role until we can find a government, press and electorate that agrees with your point of view?

Doubling-down on the rubbish then.

Where did I say any of that? You talking about politics is like the NRA talking about gun safety: Delusional and wrong.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:19 - Jun 23 with 3291 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:16 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

That post was very obviously tongue in cheek, but well done. I see you didn't get a life during your break from here.

Was this tongue in cheek?

It's small minded bigotry on your part. And as somebody who voted to leave I also find it rather insulting.

Iron Lion Zion

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:20 - Jun 23 with 3291 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:19 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

Was this tongue in cheek?

It's small minded bigotry on your part. And as somebody who voted to leave I also find it rather insulting.

So still no examples of me actually calling someone a racist for disagreeing with me then......

Take another break, mate.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:23 - Jun 23 with 3286 viewsSarge

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:13 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

I would like a press and electorate that bases decisions on facts and analysis rather than emotion, ‘I’ve always voted this way’ or outright lies. I would like the public to do some research before voting (the amount of young and elderly people I’ve spoken to who come out with complete and utter nonsense is shocking) and I would like some requirement of having a basic understanding of an election or referendum before being allowed to vote in it.

I don’t see the point in democracy if people don’t fully research their position before voting on it. If I in my line of work needed assistance designing a new spacecraft system I’m going to ask people who are informed, not large parts of Joe Public who not only don’t know, but don’t care either.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:26 - Jun 23 with 3273 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:23 - Jun 23 by Sarge

I would like a press and electorate that bases decisions on facts and analysis rather than emotion, ‘I’ve always voted this way’ or outright lies. I would like the public to do some research before voting (the amount of young and elderly people I’ve spoken to who come out with complete and utter nonsense is shocking) and I would like some requirement of having a basic understanding of an election or referendum before being allowed to vote in it.

I don’t see the point in democracy if people don’t fully research their position before voting on it. If I in my line of work needed assistance designing a new spacecraft system I’m going to ask people who are informed, not large parts of Joe Public who not only don’t know, but don’t care either.

Well said.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024