Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? 10:49 - May 18 with 10322 viewsHarryWright

I'm talking about a youngster who had all the hype coming through but wasn't actually very good. I'll start with Ronan Murray, although special mention to Teddy Bishop.
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 10:52 - May 18 with 5030 viewsSwailsey

There was a bit of buzz around Richard Logan wasn't there?

I suppose Bowditch or Billy Clarke (1) - I know they both have had strong careers, but much more was hoped for them wasn't it.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 10:52 - May 18 with 5029 viewsSteve_M

Josh Carson. A couple of goals, loads of hype but he wasn't quite that good enough.

Maybe Richard Logan.

Murray was fine, decent technically but lightweight. Never overly hyped either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 10:58 - May 18 with 4980 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Byron Lawrence.

Never really played for us but was always considered to be something special (Even rumours of Arsenal being interested)

But then he left, and has fallen through the leagues
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 10:59 - May 18 with 4969 viewshype313

Josh Carson, can't remember there being much furor around Logan.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:10 - May 18 with 4927 viewsSteve_M

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 10:58 - May 18 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Byron Lawrence.

Never really played for us but was always considered to be something special (Even rumours of Arsenal being interested)

But then he left, and has fallen through the leagues

I nearly mentioned him but i would be a little unfair; Jewell stuck him in the squad as a futile piece of tokenism. I'm not sure he was that highly rated for any other reason.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:17 - May 18 with 4880 viewsunbelievablue

Bowditch all day.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:18 - May 18 with 4875 viewshoppy

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 10:52 - May 18 by Swailsey

There was a bit of buzz around Richard Logan wasn't there?

I suppose Bowditch or Billy Clarke (1) - I know they both have had strong careers, but much more was hoped for them wasn't it.

Bowditch was supposedly on Liverpool's radar, wasn't he? And then we gave him about 27 million contracts in the hope that his potential would realise itself, but never quite happened. He's done ok for himself, but not had his name in the bright lights that were expected really.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:19 - May 18 with 4871 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Marriott and Dozzell for fan hype

The more they didn't/don't play, the more people are convincing themselves that they should be weekly starters who would change us into a top team.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Login to get fewer ads

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:20 - May 18 with 4856 viewsCoco

Definitely Billy Clarke. He had a double page spread in EADT and everything.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the-billy-clarke-story-1-77095

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:22 - May 18 with 4848 viewsJakeITFC

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:10 - May 18 by Steve_M

I nearly mentioned him but i would be a little unfair; Jewell stuck him in the squad as a futile piece of tokenism. I'm not sure he was that highly rated for any other reason.

Think there was a real buzz around him at academy level - I remember one dad saying he was as good as any kid they'd seen.

I don't think Teddy Bishop has been overrated, he was/id genuinely very good at this level.
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:22 - May 18 with 4838 viewsSwailsey

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:18 - May 18 by hoppy

Bowditch was supposedly on Liverpool's radar, wasn't he? And then we gave him about 27 million contracts in the hope that his potential would realise itself, but never quite happened. He's done ok for himself, but not had his name in the bright lights that were expected really.

Yeah.

He's still made a good career, but he really did seem like he was going to be a star.

Carson (as others have said) was another. The goals in his first few games made him look like he had real promise.

In terms of being overrated though...I don't think any of our young players have played enough to be overrated have they? That isn't a dig at Mick, but I can't think of any managers over the last 15 years who have persisted with youngsters when they weren't performing?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:25 - May 18 with 4813 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I think overhyped is more accurate a word.

Bowditch definitely had the biggest hype since Wright. His first impressions also made it look as if the hype was true.

He's had a decent career, but his reported potential was much greater than any of the other names mentioned in this thread.

Poll: Best Football Song

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:26 - May 18 with 4804 viewsPJH

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:17 - May 18 by unbelievablue

Bowditch all day.

I don't think Bowditch was overrated, he just did not develop into the very good player that it seemed he would become when he arrived on the scene at age 16/17.
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:34 - May 18 with 4772 viewsITFC_Forever

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:20 - May 18 by Coco

Definitely Billy Clarke. He had a double page spread in EADT and everything.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the-billy-clarke-story-1-77095

Clarke was excellent until he got injured (away to Southend I think), he never quite got it back for us after that.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:35 - May 18 with 4771 viewsmonty_radio

The whole issue is a tough call really. "Overhyped" is certainly a fair description of a two page spread in the Star before you've made an impression at first team level. On the other hand, these lads were simply doing what they were good at, but, the occasional waster apart, merely discovered that "what they were good at" got found out at the true professional level.

Probably increasingly true of goalscorers - many will have played against the lad who could score half-a-dozen goals a game at 15, but settled down to become a good, reliable S.I.L. 20-goal-per-season centre forward. I think it's the same at higher levels when defensive stategies get better because adults are better at organising than kids. Then your Ronan Murrays, who don't develop new coping strategies, get found out.

Nevertheless, the hype is a good measure of Portman Rd starvation - as this season's Goals For tally indicates.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:08 - May 18 with 4703 viewsGrahamHarbey

Can''t say that about Teddy, he was awesome for a decent period in 14-15, agree on Murray as he was as good as Antonio Murray eg not very good!
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:12 - May 18 with 4674 viewsTractorWood

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:19 - May 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Marriott and Dozzell for fan hype

The more they didn't/don't play, the more people are convincing themselves that they should be weekly starters who would change us into a top team.

Not sure there was much hype about Marriott's ability just frustration that he wasn't getting a chance. Bowditch or Carson for me.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:15 - May 18 with 4655 viewsPhilTWTD

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:22 - May 18 by JakeITFC

Think there was a real buzz around him at academy level - I remember one dad saying he was as good as any kid they'd seen.

I don't think Teddy Bishop has been overrated, he was/id genuinely very good at this level.

Indeed, I think part of Byron's early inclusion was down to interest and trying to make sure the tribunal figure was significant if that was firmed up. Like plenty of others, ultimately didn't fulfil the potential. Good luck to him though as he seems to be making progress. Really decent lad.

Carson was similarly seen as a big talent - Town beat a lot of big clubs to get him - and a lot of surprise at the club that he was one who lost his way in the manner that he did as seemed an unlikely character to go that way.
Richard Logan? (n/t) on 12:19 - May 18 with 4625 viewsMenton

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:20 - May 18 with 4621 viewsCaptainObvious

Harry Wright

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:23 - May 18 with 4591 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Westlake?

I remember watching him and thinking he was destined to go onto better things than us, but disappeared down the leagues after his move to Leeds
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:31 - May 18 with 4523 viewstheblueginger

Josh Wight, academy left-back from a few years ago was linked with Liverpool i think. He then just vanished into thin air.
Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:32 - May 18 with 4512 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jordan Rhodes.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:54 - May 18 with 4425 viewsitfcjoe

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 11:22 - May 18 by JakeITFC

He was excellent at that level - but was used as a pawn by Jewell to show we were looking to the future and just hyped up. Although part of that was to get him to sign here rather than leave.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Most Overrated ITFC youngster ever? on 12:57 - May 18 with 4414 viewsitfcjoe

I'd say Darryl Knights, I think partly because he was local but he was really hyped up but just didn't do enough once we had a few Irish boys come in but kept that reputation.

Bar a forgettable only appearance at the Stadium of Light he just drifted further and further behind likes of Billy Clarke

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024