Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? 21:01 - Nov 13 with 5465 viewsMaySixth

Would it be the same for us?
I fear so.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 22:03]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:03 - Nov 13 with 4962 viewsWeWereZombies

One game at a time...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:05 - Nov 13 with 4940 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

They don’t have me in charge….
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:09 - Nov 13 with 4906 viewsunstableblue

First off for Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton to all get relegated, and Leicester, Leeds and Saints to get promoted, well that would be very bad news for English football.

Has it happened before?

Hoping Ipswich will prevent this happening. And of course the play-offs will be a lottery for the 3rd placed team.

Why are the promoted 3 struggling this season. Well I’m not surprised about Luton, it was a style that just about worked in the championship, and I think it will work at home in certain games this season. I think Sheff U just didn’t have the quality across the squad.

As for Burnley they did play a style that could prosper but it wasn’t a style or squad that built momentum over multiple seasons. And I think that’s the problem.

Brentford a model for us was developed over multiple seasons.

If we do get promoted this season or the next it will be 2.5 or 3.5 seasons together
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 21:27]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:09 - Nov 13 with 4884 viewsFrimleyBlue

No.

We've been playing prem style football since KM got here.
Prem football is a game of chess and we have one of the best chess players around,

I was watching the Chelsea. Man city game last night and it was so identical to town football in the rotations etc we would be ready.

We would need reinforcements of course. But two of those sides in the OP got promoted just by having a high press and going long. It was never gonna work in the prem. Burnely I'm surprised about tbh.

Also... didn't shef utd do the reverse of most clubs do and sold their best players.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 21:18]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 22:01 - Nov 13 with 4662 viewsMJallday

The many millions in cash make it easier

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 22:08 - Nov 13 with 4596 viewsbournemouthblue

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:09 - Nov 13 by FrimleyBlue

No.

We've been playing prem style football since KM got here.
Prem football is a game of chess and we have one of the best chess players around,

I was watching the Chelsea. Man city game last night and it was so identical to town football in the rotations etc we would be ready.

We would need reinforcements of course. But two of those sides in the OP got promoted just by having a high press and going long. It was never gonna work in the prem. Burnely I'm surprised about tbh.

Also... didn't shef utd do the reverse of most clubs do and sold their best players.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 21:18]

Burnley didn't keep Tella who was key to promotion, that can't have helped?

They also had a Chelsea loanee who was pretty important for them from memory, have they not replaced these players very well?

I know they'd had a tough start, which has put them back a little bit

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 22:13 - Nov 13 with 4556 viewsGlasgowBlue

It would suggest that the Championship was very poor last season. Burley ran away with it and the teams fighting to be runners up did their very best to blow it. The play off final was also very poor. Look at Coventry now.

The previous season Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest were promoted. For rthe first time I can recall*, not one of the three promoted Championship teams were relegated.

That has also made the Championship a very hard league this season.

*No doubt someone will pout me right regarding all three promoted teams staying up at other times.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 22:34 - Nov 13 with 4427 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 22:13 - Nov 13 by GlasgowBlue

It would suggest that the Championship was very poor last season. Burley ran away with it and the teams fighting to be runners up did their very best to blow it. The play off final was also very poor. Look at Coventry now.

The previous season Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest were promoted. For rthe first time I can recall*, not one of the three promoted Championship teams were relegated.

*No doubt someone will pout me right regarding all three promoted teams staying up at other times.

Yeah, it was poor last year. I saw Burnley once in the flesh and a few times on the box and they weren’t in any way exceptional. Just well organised, so defensively strong and then the extra individual quality at the top end. Us, Leicester, Leeds on this year’s form would all have given them a run for their money, plus Preston, Saints and ‘Boro are all building momentum now and look very good on their day.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 22:36 - Nov 13 with 4407 viewsTootingTown

I can't wait to find out.
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 23:01 - Nov 13 with 4274 viewsgainsboroughblue

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 22:13 - Nov 13 by GlasgowBlue

2001-2002 Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham

2011-2012 QPR, Nodge, Swansea

2017-2018 Newcastle, Plucky Bournemouth, Hudds
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 23:01]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 23:01 - Nov 13 with 4261 viewsLankHenners

It's not happened much, 3 or 4 times maybe (since the Premier League was a thing). 17/18 when Brighton, Newcastle and Huddersfield went and stayed up was the last time (before last season).

Think this season all 3 relegated clubs arguably went down more because of being mismanaged than not having a good enough squad so were pretty set up to be fighting right at the top end of the Championship.

Obviously a long way to go where so much can happen but wouldn't be a huge surprise if the top teams kept pulling away and it ended up being a right old scrap for the final couple of playoff places. Hopefully we can stay with the leading pack throughout.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 23:13 - Nov 13 with 4212 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Season before all 3 promoted teams stayed up. Luton are doing alright.

But most importantly, it is November and we aren't promoted.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 00:49 - Nov 14 with 4085 viewsBigCommon

I would say that its very difficult for newly promoted sides to recruit the kind of players needed to truly compete at that level.... Burnley in particular, who every man and his dog, knew were going up, well before last season ended. Had plenty of time , in theory, to get some decent recruitment done. Which shows how difficult it is.
Must be hard to lift players that were used to winning games last season. That are now losing, virtually every week..
As far as we're concerned. We really do have a genius coach and coaching staff. I doubt we'd take the Premier League by storm. But the remit will be to gain 40 pts as quickly as possible. I personally think that the top 4 sides in todays Championship, are better than the promoted 3 from last season. If you also, factor in, that at some point we'll probably change tact , towards the end of the season, if we have a points buffer to defend. That, in itself, will lend some grit and determination to our squad.. It's a big jump up (should it happen). . But you wouldn't compare yourself to the Man City's and Liverpool's of the division. It would be about trying to finish top of a mini league in the bottom 3rd, on your first season up..With the odd surprise result thrown in..
I honestly think we'd have more points on the board, in the Prem'. Than the bottom 3 atm.. Even with our current squad, I just do...
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 00:58 - Nov 14 with 4058 views_clive_baker_

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:09 - Nov 13 by unstableblue

First off for Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton to all get relegated, and Leicester, Leeds and Saints to get promoted, well that would be very bad news for English football.

Has it happened before?

Hoping Ipswich will prevent this happening. And of course the play-offs will be a lottery for the 3rd placed team.

Why are the promoted 3 struggling this season. Well I’m not surprised about Luton, it was a style that just about worked in the championship, and I think it will work at home in certain games this season. I think Sheff U just didn’t have the quality across the squad.

As for Burnley they did play a style that could prosper but it wasn’t a style or squad that built momentum over multiple seasons. And I think that’s the problem.

Brentford a model for us was developed over multiple seasons.

If we do get promoted this season or the next it will be 2.5 or 3.5 seasons together
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 21:27]

‘Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton to all get relegated, and Leicester, Leeds and Saints to get promoted’

Might not be good for English football, and obviously disappointing that we’ve not gone up, but that wouldn’t be the worst result in terms of our chances next season if we’re here for another crack at it.
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 01:45 - Nov 14 with 4016 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We could also surprise a few people, but that league is a mess with the rules and VAR right now, I can see us getting screwed by a few bad decisions given what’s happening up there. Spurs dared to threaten City and were punished for it!
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 07:46 - Nov 14 with 3603 viewsmatteoblue

Don't be overawed by the 'Premier' league. Half of the teams are very average and would not look out of place in the 2nd division. It's the rich few at the top that make it look better than it is.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 10:14 - Nov 14 with 3332 viewsunstableblue

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 00:58 - Nov 14 by _clive_baker_

‘Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton to all get relegated, and Leicester, Leeds and Saints to get promoted’

Might not be good for English football, and obviously disappointing that we’ve not gone up, but that wouldn’t be the worst result in terms of our chances next season if we’re here for another crack at it.

That is a good point

And Town will only be stronger the following season.. with new signings, likes of Baggot really emerging. Wolfenden and Humphreys maturing. Hirst, Chaplin, Burns in total prime.

Also there has to be some merit in one more season gelling, setting the systems and culture in stone, before tackling the tough challenge of the Premiership

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 10:26 - Nov 14 with 3272 viewsBseaBlue

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 10:14 - Nov 14 by unstableblue

That is a good point

And Town will only be stronger the following season.. with new signings, likes of Baggot really emerging. Wolfenden and Humphreys maturing. Hirst, Chaplin, Burns in total prime.

Also there has to be some merit in one more season gelling, setting the systems and culture in stone, before tackling the tough challenge of the Premiership

Just one thing with this. If we don't get promoted, I'd be concerned about how close we are to the FFP limit and then the likelyhood of having to move on our best players to cover the difference.

Add in then that the chances of losing the manager significantly increases as well....
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 10:50 - Nov 14 with 3191 viewsPinewoodblue

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 21:03 - Nov 13 by WeWereZombies

One game at a time...

I know most of us buy into this one game at a time thing but that is only half of it.

The second part of the current philosophy is just as important that relates to long term planning. Last season it wasn’t just about gaining promotion, this season isn’t about establishing ourselves in Championship, nor about promotion to EPL. It is a long term plan to see just how far we can go.

You look at a lot of clubs promoted to the top flight and it seems obvious that they have achieved their goal no way will that happen to Town when we are promoted.

We are all on an adventurous journey, long may it last.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 10:52 - Nov 14 with 3185 viewsGreenEye

Luton are living the dream having come back from oblivion but have yet to get smashed so I think they're a bet to stay up. Burnley are trying to play like Citeh without the players to do it and Sheffield Utd have too many out injured.
Wolves & Fulham gave us a good sight of the gap from top half of PL.
PL is a mixed bag. Most are fighting for mediocrity, some for survival and the same few for silverware.
PL is a mixed bag of fixtures at crap times. Personally, I like 3pm Saturday and a midweek match in a competitive league.
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 11:12 - Nov 14 with 3117 viewstractorboy1978

Luton and Sheffield United haven't even tried to stay up. Giving proper Norwich, take the money with the intention of yo-yoing vibes. Sheffield United are actually arguably weaker than they were last season!
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 11:15 - Nov 14 with 3090 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

They aren't good enough for the league.

.... and yes, unless we made some changes, we would also struggle, but that is no criticism of anyone here, it's a bloody tough league to stay in. I just hope we play it safe financially if we do go up and if we come down we are stronger for it, rather than weaker, it may take a number of years to establish ourselves again.
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 11:17 - Nov 14 with 3082 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 11:12 - Nov 14 by tractorboy1978

Luton and Sheffield United haven't even tried to stay up. Giving proper Norwich, take the money with the intention of yo-yoing vibes. Sheffield United are actually arguably weaker than they were last season!

Luton not spending 10s of millions on players = Not trying to stay up

They are a very well run club who presumably spent a lot of money on the stadium and are only 3 points off safety and took points off Liverpool last week. The players they have signed that were questioned Ogbene, Chong etc. Have been pretty good.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 11:39 - Nov 14 with 3007 viewstractorboy1978

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton struggling in the PL? on 11:17 - Nov 14 by TRUE_BLUE123

Luton not spending 10s of millions on players = Not trying to stay up

They are a very well run club who presumably spent a lot of money on the stadium and are only 3 points off safety and took points off Liverpool last week. The players they have signed that were questioned Ogbene, Chong etc. Have been pretty good.

I'm not knocking them, it's probably sensible in their position. In response to the initial question though, it should hardly be a surprise they are 'struggling' when relatively they've not really invested in the playing squad.
Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 11:56 - Nov 14 with 2926 viewsWeWereZombies

Why are Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton performing struggling in the PL? on 10:50 - Nov 14 by Pinewoodblue

I know most of us buy into this one game at a time thing but that is only half of it.

The second part of the current philosophy is just as important that relates to long term planning. Last season it wasn’t just about gaining promotion, this season isn’t about establishing ourselves in Championship, nor about promotion to EPL. It is a long term plan to see just how far we can go.

You look at a lot of clubs promoted to the top flight and it seems obvious that they have achieved their goal no way will that happen to Town when we are promoted.

We are all on an adventurous journey, long may it last.

I wouldn't disagree with you, it is just that the long term planning is for the owners, management and coaches whilst I think it is better for us supporters to, as you say, enjoy the adventurous journey...one game at a time, rather than torture ourselves with worries about things that are months away...or may never happen.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024