Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna and Ashton 11:16 - Aug 5 with 4726 viewsle2blue

Great interview on TownTv, could listen to them all day talking about our club, I know we know this but we're so fortunate to have them leading it...professional, intelligent, and calm. Such a contrast to the previous era.

It's going to be a fun season.
McKenna and Ashton on 13:06 - Aug 5 with 3226 viewstractorboy1978

Great interview as always.

Reading between the lines, we are waiting for the knock on effects of a few other deals being completed.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 13:22]
McKenna and Ashton on 13:17 - Aug 5 with 3203 viewsburnbudgiesburn

McKenna and Ashton on 13:06 - Aug 5 by tractorboy1978

Great interview as always.

Reading between the lines, we are waiting for the knock on effects of a few other deals being completed.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 13:22]

Also interesting that Ashton said we may enquire about players at other clubs just to test/find out the current market value of different types of player
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 13:29]
McKenna and Ashton on 13:33 - Aug 5 with 3102 viewsHighgateBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 13:17 - Aug 5 by burnbudgiesburn

Also interesting that Ashton said we may enquire about players at other clubs just to test/find out the current market value of different types of player
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 13:29]

Surprised he admitted to that tactic to be honest!
McKenna and Ashton on 13:44 - Aug 5 with 3060 viewsVic

Ashton always looks like the cat that got the cream when he sits next to KM as he’s being interviewed. Or maybe like a really proud older brother or dad. And so he should be - we’ve got super Kieron McKenna!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

McKenna and Ashton on 13:45 - Aug 5 with 3052 viewsKieran_Knows

McKenna and Ashton on 13:33 - Aug 5 by HighgateBlue

It’s not really a surprise, is it?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McKenna and Ashton on 14:52 - Aug 5 with 2895 viewsChurchman

It’s well worth a watch. It’s perfectly clear what they are aiming to do and, after a decent amount of time now, how they are going about it. They come across as so professional and focussed. Such a contrast to days gone by.

Interesting what Ashton has to say about transfer speculation and the harm it does. The problem is that there will always be people who won’t care about any harm as long as they can claim on social media to be ITK. Bit pathetic really.

As for ITFC internal leaks, if I was MA I’d make it clear that if a leak is traced back to an employee, they’re out of the door. Fired, whoever they are. There’s nothing radical or draconian about that.

Yes, it’s going to be fascinating.
McKenna and Ashton on 15:04 - Aug 5 with 2837 viewsNaylorsrightboot

McKenna and Ashton on 14:52 - Aug 5 by Churchman

It’s well worth a watch. It’s perfectly clear what they are aiming to do and, after a decent amount of time now, how they are going about it. They come across as so professional and focussed. Such a contrast to days gone by.

Interesting what Ashton has to say about transfer speculation and the harm it does. The problem is that there will always be people who won’t care about any harm as long as they can claim on social media to be ITK. Bit pathetic really.

As for ITFC internal leaks, if I was MA I’d make it clear that if a leak is traced back to an employee, they’re out of the door. Fired, whoever they are. There’s nothing radical or draconian about that.

You can't blame fans for speculation it's part of the game, it's natural to want to know who we are after. MA pushes the club, he gets everyone excited to know more, so people go looking for more stories, it's understandable.
Also comments made by him about no transfer business about this season. Well, just been watching soccer Saturday going around the championship and the clubs have signed loads of players, so don't get what he is really getting at there. Covering his own @rse l have a feeling.
McKenna and Ashton on 15:19 - Aug 5 with 2820 viewsKieran_Knows

So, let’s say Sam Morsy tells a mate we’re signing someone, and that gets out in the public domain, would you be happy for him to be sacked?

I get where Ashton is coming from, but you’ll never, 100% stop info coming out from the club. Whether that’s a player, member of staff or a parent who’s up there watching their kids play during the week in the academy. It happens.

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna and Ashton on 15:25 - Aug 5 with 2800 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 15:19 - Aug 5 by Kieran_Knows

So, let’s say Sam Morsy tells a mate we’re signing someone, and that gets out in the public domain, would you be happy for him to be sacked?

I get where Ashton is coming from, but you’ll never, 100% stop info coming out from the club. Whether that’s a player, member of staff or a parent who’s up there watching their kids play during the week in the academy. It happens.

Tbh imo it's trying to deflect the non signing of players away from him.

He talks of Hirst rumours. Yet says deal been happening since Jan. Same with Taylor. So what's he worried about. A player seen at the club and he's shocked its local news?- give over.

You see player rumours from all clubs everywhere on social media. Yet Ashtons the only one who seems to blame supporters for spreading rumours.

Again that's not me being anti town.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

McKenna’s 3 key team objectives were a thing of technical/progressive beauty (n/t) on 15:45 - Aug 5 with 2745 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McKenna and Ashton on 15:49 - Aug 5 with 2728 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton on 15:04 - Aug 5 by Naylorsrightboot

You can't blame fans for speculation it's part of the game, it's natural to want to know who we are after. MA pushes the club, he gets everyone excited to know more, so people go looking for more stories, it's understandable.
Also comments made by him about no transfer business about this season. Well, just been watching soccer Saturday going around the championship and the clubs have signed loads of players, so don't get what he is really getting at there. Covering his own @rse l have a feeling.

So you think chasing a bloke up the road with a phone camera like the mug who chased Hirst is ok? I don’t. I actually think it’s rude and pathetic. Yes Ashton promotes the club. It’s his job. He also said two years ago what potentially harms the club, yet people ignore that. I don't think that’s understandable at all.

There’s a difference between pub style speculation and talking about players as we all do and spilling information that somebody gets to hear and actually potentially harms a transfer. Deals in public like Evans tried to do rarely work. But if people in the know care more about their standing on social media or with their mates than they do the football club, great. Crack on. The witless will do so anyway, that’s for sure.

This is Transfer Market with a summary

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

Any particular player you think we should have signed? All of them? Some of them? It’s dead easy to sign players, even with no money. Lambert did it. Signing players you want for the level you want them at - not so easy. The current squad has been put together over time. We’ve added a couple in addition to Hirst and Luongo and shipped out a few this summer.

In other words our squad looks quite stable compared to many and to what we’ve seen for a very long time. I presume you would have preferred a lot more binned out and new players brought in who are automatically better than what we have because they are new?

Interesting that Norwich spent £3m and raised £1.15 on selling Mumba who could well prove a far better player than the one they spent money on. On the ball City, eh?
McKenna and Ashton on 16:01 - Aug 5 with 2678 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Massive hyperbole from Ashton. Ipswich are no different to every other club in the country. Transfers leak at every club. If you want the deal done, pay the cash. It will get done regardless of leaks.

But the following of Hirst was very poor. Those people need to stop being so weird.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

McKenna and Ashton on 16:04 - Aug 5 with 2660 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton on 15:19 - Aug 5 by Kieran_Knows

If somebody in any walk of life is privy to confidential information that will harm the business, whatever that may be, and is told up front it’s not for discussion outside and say they then go do just that and it reaches the media. Can they complain if they are kicked out? They know the rules. If they break them the consequences are clear. This isn’t difficult.

So to answer your question directly, if Morsy deliberately did that (I suspect he’d be the last person to do such a thing) and it harmed the club, yes I’d move him on. Nobody is bigger than the club.

Probably why I don’t work in football, but I always found as a fairly simple person, keeping it simple was the best way.
McKenna and Ashton on 16:12 - Aug 5 with 2619 viewsNaylorsrightboot

McKenna and Ashton on 15:49 - Aug 5 by Churchman

So you think chasing a bloke up the road with a phone camera like the mug who chased Hirst is ok? I don’t. I actually think it’s rude and pathetic. Yes Ashton promotes the club. It’s his job. He also said two years ago what potentially harms the club, yet people ignore that. I don't think that’s understandable at all.

There’s a difference between pub style speculation and talking about players as we all do and spilling information that somebody gets to hear and actually potentially harms a transfer. Deals in public like Evans tried to do rarely work. But if people in the know care more about their standing on social media or with their mates than they do the football club, great. Crack on. The witless will do so anyway, that’s for sure.

This is Transfer Market with a summary

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

Any particular player you think we should have signed? All of them? Some of them? It’s dead easy to sign players, even with no money. Lambert did it. Signing players you want for the level you want them at - not so easy. The current squad has been put together over time. We’ve added a couple in addition to Hirst and Luongo and shipped out a few this summer.

In other words our squad looks quite stable compared to many and to what we’ve seen for a very long time. I presume you would have preferred a lot more binned out and new players brought in who are automatically better than what we have because they are new?

Interesting that Norwich spent £3m and raised £1.15 on selling Mumba who could well prove a far better player than the one they spent money on. On the ball City, eh?

I didn’t mention chasing people up the road did l ?! I was talking about speculation through chat on the internet or down the pub etc. Please dont put words in my mouth.
And yes, l do still believe MA is covering his @rse over signings. Plenty of good looking signings coming in at some of those clubs.
McKenna and Ashton on 16:13 - Aug 5 with 2623 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton on 16:01 - Aug 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Massive hyperbole from Ashton. Ipswich are no different to every other club in the country. Transfers leak at every club. If you want the deal done, pay the cash. It will get done regardless of leaks.

But the following of Hirst was very poor. Those people need to stop being so weird.

I’m always reminded of the Bobby Robson story. He was approached by Everton and actually agreed a deal to become their manager. Part of the agreement was that it was not to be leaked to the media before he told the Ipswich Board.

The story was published before Robson spoke to Cobbold. They broke their word and Robson stayed. Everton lost out on one of the best managers in the game at that time. So deals don’t always happen regardless of leaks and while many do I suspect you pay more for them as Evans almost certainly did more than once.

But it seems I’m in a minority on this so will shut up and look forward to the pasting Ashton will get at the fans forum from Frimley and NaylorsRB’ for ‘covering his own ar**e’.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 16:18]
McKenna and Ashton on 16:19 - Aug 5 with 2591 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 16:13 - Aug 5 by Churchman

I’m always reminded of the Bobby Robson story. He was approached by Everton and actually agreed a deal to become their manager. Part of the agreement was that it was not to be leaked to the media before he told the Ipswich Board.

The story was published before Robson spoke to Cobbold. They broke their word and Robson stayed. Everton lost out on one of the best managers in the game at that time. So deals don’t always happen regardless of leaks and while many do I suspect you pay more for them as Evans almost certainly did more than once.

But it seems I’m in a minority on this so will shut up and look forward to the pasting Ashton will get at the fans forum from Frimley and NaylorsRB’ for ‘covering his own ar**e’.

Erm. Naylor used the phrase covering his own ar se btw.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 16:22 - Aug 5 with 2583 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

McKenna and Ashton on 16:13 - Aug 5 by Churchman

It’s ok to have a differing opinion?

People in football talk. If we were say about to sign Ellis Simms, Coventry Swansea etc would have known about this with fans leaking or without fans leaking. That’s just how football is now. I’m sure it was slightly different in Sir Bobbys day. I get what he’s saying and he probably doesn’t want to feel under pressure when arranging a deal. But I do think he’s slightly overstated the position.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

McKenna and Ashton on 16:23 - Aug 5 with 2570 viewsNaylorsrightboot

McKenna and Ashton on 16:19 - Aug 5 by FrimleyBlue

Erm. Naylor used the phrase covering his own ar se btw.

He has changed it now to be fair.
McKenna and Ashton on 16:28 - Aug 5 with 2557 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 16:22 - Aug 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

It’s ok to have a differing opinion?

People in football talk. If we were say about to sign Ellis Simms, Coventry Swansea etc would have known about this with fans leaking or without fans leaking. That’s just how football is now. I’m sure it was slightly different in Sir Bobbys day. I get what he’s saying and he probably doesn’t want to feel under pressure when arranging a deal. But I do think he’s slightly overstated the position.

In Robson days there wasn't even a thing called a mobile phone let alone social media. Football agents weren't even a thing in the way they are now.

I personally don't believe that there is ever a secret signing nowadays. Clubs certainly don't find out because a podcast announces a rumour on their social media account.

Also this injury thing. What did Sunderland learn which gives them an advantage? GK who didn't play in last friendlies is injured so not a shock.
Clarke who's injured is suspended

The other 2 are in the squad for the game.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 16:29 - Aug 5 with 2556 viewsKieran_Knows

McKenna and Ashton on 16:04 - Aug 5 by Churchman

If somebody in any walk of life is privy to confidential information that will harm the business, whatever that may be, and is told up front it’s not for discussion outside and say they then go do just that and it reaches the media. Can they complain if they are kicked out? They know the rules. If they break them the consequences are clear. This isn’t difficult.

So to answer your question directly, if Morsy deliberately did that (I suspect he’d be the last person to do such a thing) and it harmed the club, yes I’d move him on. Nobody is bigger than the club.

Probably why I don’t work in football, but I always found as a fairly simple person, keeping it simple was the best way.

I don’t particularly disagree with you, I just don’t see how you’ll ever stop it 100%.

McKenna and Ashton on 16:30 - Aug 5 with 2547 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 16:29 - Aug 5 by Kieran_Knows

I don’t particularly disagree with you, I just don’t see how you’ll ever stop it 100%.

You won't and Ashton knows that.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 01:08 - Aug 6 with 2292 viewsberkstractorboy

McKenna and Ashton on 16:30 - Aug 5 by FrimleyBlue

The thing is all the names we are linked with posted by fans on social media or here on TWTD are already public domain by other journalists so it’s not town fans doing harm. Those ITK on here are cryptic and no names so I am not so sure Ashton is right to say it’s town fans leaking anything.

Once a name is known and the following around to get a photo is weird and really should stop!!
McKenna and Ashton on 02:15 - Aug 6 with 2264 viewsTractorboy24

McKenna and Ashton on 16:30 - Aug 5 by FrimleyBlue

So because you demand information, you should have it, regardless of consequences?

I’d much rather wait until a genuine signing is on the brink rather than the ‘leaks’ we’ve had where one went to a prem side for £5m & another to a side with income of circa £20m from player sales. Even then, if we were after those players, it shows where we’re aiming, but the fact we’re not spending at that level, is positive because it shows we’re not being taken for mugs.

The people scrambling for news by chasing cars etc around the area are clearly damaging the club, it’s along the same lines of the broadsheets vs tabloid albeit microsized. Chasing a player around Suffolk on the brink of signing for social media clicks is a paparazzi level of harassment which isn’t needed at a club our size. Surely there is no one here who thinks that the paparazzi are people just trying to make a living off the back of people who dared to become a little famous?
McKenna and Ashton on 05:26 - Aug 6 with 2182 viewspointofblue

Fans are always going to speculate. I doubt Ashton has an issue with that for a moment, as it shows investment in the club. He’s talking about “In The Know” discussion, which I get in some ways but not in others. I mean, take McNally. No one will convince me that Stoke only became aware of our interest, and/or made a counter bid, because it was posted on TWTD. But it did lead to the first sign of frustration when it fell through. If we were unaware of it, as a fanbase, we’d probably assume they were still working on it and have a specific target in mind.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

McKenna and Ashton on 06:38 - Aug 6 with 2138 viewsPioneerBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 13:33 - Aug 5 by HighgateBlue

It’s obvious and all clubs must do it otherwise how do you set a budget not knowing where the market is. It’s happens in business sometimes when looking for an understanding of the pricing for significant acquisition of products or services ahead of actually buying them.

I think this is what also drives a lot of the early speculation. I presume they are usually the type of players we might like but take Armstrong for example, he would have been an interesting benchmark when planning the budget for this season ahead of maybe looking at Simms or buying Hirst.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024