Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna and Ashton 11:16 - Aug 5 with 4826 viewsle2blue

Great interview on TownTv, could listen to them all day talking about our club, I know we know this but we're so fortunate to have them leading it...professional, intelligent, and calm. Such a contrast to the previous era.

It's going to be a fun season.
McKenna and Ashton on 07:03 - Aug 6 with 692 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna and Ashton on 02:15 - Aug 6 by Tractorboy24

So because you demand information, you should have it, regardless of consequences?

I’d much rather wait until a genuine signing is on the brink rather than the ‘leaks’ we’ve had where one went to a prem side for £5m & another to a side with income of circa £20m from player sales. Even then, if we were after those players, it shows where we’re aiming, but the fact we’re not spending at that level, is positive because it shows we’re not being taken for mugs.

The people scrambling for news by chasing cars etc around the area are clearly damaging the club, it’s along the same lines of the broadsheets vs tabloid albeit microsized. Chasing a player around Suffolk on the brink of signing for social media clicks is a paparazzi level of harassment which isn’t needed at a club our size. Surely there is no one here who thinks that the paparazzi are people just trying to make a living off the back of people who dared to become a little famous?

I think the Hirst thing is well overblown. I don't think anyone was "chasing the player around Suffolk". He was just spotted by numerous different people in different locations. Ipswich and Suffolk is a small place - it's not like London where a player can blend into the background.

Taking a photo and posting it to social media isn't my bag but that's the way of the world now unfortunately and you cannot escape it, news travels even faster. If Hirst hadn't posted a picture of his new car online the day before, nobody would have known it was him anyway!
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 7:05]
McKenna and Ashton on 07:26 - Aug 6 with 659 viewsVic

So because you demand information, you should have it, regardless of consequences?

I’d much rather wait until a genuine signing is on the brink rather than the ‘leaks’ we’ve had where one went to a prem side for £5m & another to a side with income of circa £20m from player sales. Even then, if we were after those players, it shows where we’re aiming, but the fact we’re not spending at that level, is positive because it shows we’re not being taken for mugs.

The people scrambling for news by chasing cars etc around the area are clearly damaging the club, it’s along the same lines of the broadsheets vs tabloid albeit microsized. Chasing a player around Suffolk on the brink of signing for social media clicks is a paparazzi level of harassment which isn’t needed at a club our size. Surely there is no one here who thinks that the paparazzi are people just trying to make a living off the back of people who dared to become a little famous?

I agree with the sentiment of your 2nd para.

However, I honestly don;t think that any players have been followed or chased around he area. the thing with Hirst's car has been overblown - supporters just photographed where they saw it, ie, at the Nuffield and driving along a country road somewhere. no evidence at all they were deliberately followed paparazzi style. I think we need to be careful not to let this narrative take hold - it didn't happen!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

McKenna and Ashton on 07:57 - Aug 6 with 645 viewsArchiRob

McKenna and Ashton on 16:12 - Aug 5 by Naylorsrightboot

I didn’t mention chasing people up the road did l ?! I was talking about speculation through chat on the internet or down the pub etc. Please dont put words in my mouth.
And yes, l do still believe MA is covering his @rse over signings. Plenty of good looking signings coming in at some of those clubs.

Still better covering his backside rather than talking out of it eh?

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

McKenna and Ashton on 09:47 - Aug 6 with 597 viewsFrimleyBlue

If you miss out on a player it won't be because a town fan or twtd posts about it.

Its laughable imo to believe clubs only become aware of what's happening with a player when it appears on social media.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

McKenna and Ashton on 09:54 - Aug 6 with 593 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton on 09:47 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

If you miss out on a player it won't be because a town fan or twtd posts about it.

Its laughable imo to believe clubs only become aware of what's happening with a player when it appears on social media.

And it’s laughable imo to believe that information leaked through social media can never under any circumstances have an impact on a transfer, be it cost and/or it happening at all.
McKenna and Ashton on 10:21 - Aug 6 with 560 viewsCoastalblue

But you still get all the social media angst of people like Talkingsh1te bemoaning our inability to sign anybody that then causes a negative affect across the fan base.

As somebody said above, if we didn't know about it to start with then that wouldn't be happening. A lot of this stuff just sorts the nobs from the normal people in the fan base I think.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

McKenna and Ashton on 10:23 - Aug 6 with 561 viewsoldbeardy

Both doing a great job although I did think some of Ashton's comments suggested he's a little bit rattled about transfers and maybe feeling the pressure. He seems to have gone from saying we're bringing in 2 or 3 players to strengthen the 1st 11 and a couple of those deals are well down the line to saying his job is ever so hard, made harder by leaks, and that there's little activity yet. I'm sure they'll get it sorted and that they'll act in the best interests of the club but reading between the lines they've perhaps not managed to close out a couple of deals they believed were pretty well done.
McKenna and Ashton on 10:36 - Aug 6 with 547 viewsTractorboy24

Social media is the tip of the iceberg though, if the information makes its way there, what other information is coming out of the club? Go back to the days where we had Charlie Austin & Shaun Derry in the building & still lost out on them, other clubs will have been alerted to them being here & made a move. Where that information came is what Ashton is trying to plug to avoid a repeat.

I find it laughable that you want information, at any cost.
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna and Ashton on 10:45 - Aug 6 with 532 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 10:36 - Aug 6 by Tractorboy24

Social media is the tip of the iceberg though, if the information makes its way there, what other information is coming out of the club? Go back to the days where we had Charlie Austin & Shaun Derry in the building & still lost out on them, other clubs will have been alerted to them being here & made a move. Where that information came is what Ashton is trying to plug to avoid a repeat.

We aren't talking about 'wanting' information. We are talking about Ashton trying to deflect by blaming town fans for spreading rumours on twitter.

It happens at every club. Ashton seems to be the only one who moans about it.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 10:50 - Aug 6 with 513 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 10:21 - Aug 6 by Coastalblue

But you still get all the social media angst of people like Talkingsh1te bemoaning our inability to sign anybody that then causes a negative affect across the fan base.

As somebody said above, if we didn't know about it to start with then that wouldn't be happening. A lot of this stuff just sorts the nobs from the normal people in the fan base I think.

But that's the world we live in.

Most of the stuff you see on social media follows the likes of nixon etc anyway.

If you as an individual want to believe we missed out on simms when he's gone for 8 mill that's upto you ( not you in this case but I mean as an individual)

Same as mcnally. Was he here. Was he not. Maybe maybe not.

I'm just genuinely curious what leak has caused a problem for town that Ashton keeps referring to.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 11:09 - Aug 6 with 502 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton on 10:45 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

We aren't talking about 'wanting' information. We are talking about Ashton trying to deflect by blaming town fans for spreading rumours on twitter.

It happens at every club. Ashton seems to be the only one who moans about it.

Deflect what? Well when you’ve taken Ashton up on whatever he is deflecting, let us know his response. I’m genuinely interested to hear what he has to say to you.
McKenna and Ashton on 11:15 - Aug 6 with 499 viewspointofblue

McKenna and Ashton on 10:50 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Most of the stuff you see on social media follows the likes of nixon etc anyway.

If you as an individual want to believe we missed out on simms when he's gone for 8 mill that's upto you ( not you in this case but I mean as an individual)

I'm just genuinely curious what leak has caused a problem for town that Ashton keeps referring to.

Thinking about it, I wonder whether it’s the fans response to a link as well?

Earlier this week, after McNally, Kongolo’s name was posted on here. The first reaction on here was hardly positive, and I imagine social media was the same. If I was a player, I would a bit nervous walking into a club knowing a section of the fanbase had questions about my ability/seemingly didn’t want me there. Whereas, if it’s kept quiet until the signing is made, then the contract is done, the player cannot back out and usually the fanbase comes round quickly anyway.

Although a stretch, that carries more logic to me that other teams scouting TWTD to catch up on our transfer business.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

McKenna and Ashton on 11:21 - Aug 6 with 493 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:09 - Aug 6 by Churchman

Deflect what? Well when you’ve taken Ashton up on whatever he is deflecting, let us know his response. I’m genuinely interested to hear what he has to say to you.

You can already imagine it.

Relentless in our efforts. No stone unturned. Let's be really clear etc etc.

:)

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 11:22 - Aug 6 with 491 viewsHorsham

McKenna and Ashton on 10:50 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

I genuinely don’t get why people don’t get this. Player transfers are deals where serious amounts of money change hands. If you’re doing deals like this in any commercial environment you put a big price on confidentiality etc. Publicity adds risk to the deal and the negotiations. Ashton is driven and rightly wants every advantage in doing the best deals he can. Every detail including privacy should be attended to. He wouldn’t be being thorough if he didn’t address it. Just because something is the way of the world doesn’t mean you should accept it and not challenge it. I’m glad our CEO cares enough to take this issue on.
McKenna and Ashton on 11:24 - Aug 6 with 488 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:15 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

Thinking about it, I wonder whether it’s the fans response to a link as well?

Earlier this week, after McNally, Kongolo’s name was posted on here. The first reaction on here was hardly positive, and I imagine social media was the same. If I was a player, I would a bit nervous walking into a club knowing a section of the fanbase had questions about my ability/seemingly didn’t want me there. Whereas, if it’s kept quiet until the signing is made, then the contract is done, the player cannot back out and usually the fanbase comes round quickly anyway.

Although a stretch, that carries more logic to me that other teams scouting TWTD to catch up on our transfer business.

If a player let's that get to them then they probably haven't got the right mentally that you want from a player. The first thought should be I'll show them not oh they don't rate me.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 11:27 - Aug 6 with 480 viewspointofblue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:24 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

If a player let's that get to them then they probably haven't got the right mentally that you want from a player. The first thought should be I'll show them not oh they don't rate me.

Or if you have a choice between two teams - one where the response from the fans is positive, another where it’s negative?

McKenna and Ashton on 11:31 - Aug 6 with 471 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:27 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

Or if you have a choice between two teams - one where the response from the fans is positive, another where it’s negative?

Again not really the right mentality.
What do fans know? If the manager likes you that's all that matters. You then do your job. You do it well and the fans will like you.

Likewise. He could choose the club who had 4 fans like him compared to the 3 that didn't. Put in a run of bad performances and those 4 fans decide they don't like him.

There's never really any player who has 100% of fans approving of a move. There will always be doubts

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 11:31 - Aug 6 with 471 viewsHorsham

McKenna and Ashton on 11:24 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Is any of it actually helpful though?
McKenna and Ashton on 11:33 - Aug 6 with 456 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:31 - Aug 6 by Horsham

Is any of it actually helpful though?

Just modern football where social media exists.

Right or wrong. It's how it is and it will never change unless you close down all forums and social media routes.

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 11:37 - Aug 6 with 450 viewsHorsham

McKenna and Ashton on 11:33 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Right or wrong. It's how it is and it will never change unless you close down all forums and social media routes.

Do we want the football club to accept that things are what they are or try to use every advantage including privacy to get the best outcome for the club?
McKenna and Ashton on 11:38 - Aug 6 with 446 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton on 11:21 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

You can already imagine it.

Relentless in our efforts. No stone unturned. Let's be really clear etc etc.

:)

So you are calling him a liar then before he’s answered your question.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 11:39]
McKenna and Ashton on 11:40 - Aug 6 with 441 viewspointofblue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:33 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

And perhaps that’s part of the reason why Ashton is trying to shut down the true links. Not the speculation, as more often than not, it tends to be about players the fanbase as a collective feels positively towards.

Interestingly, he did make a similar comment last summer, when we were struggling to get players in. There is no harm in not revealing links until deals are done though, as much as I’d love to be a fly on the wall and know who we’re targeting - just to serve my curiosity.

McKenna and Ashton on 11:40 - Aug 6 with 439 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:38 - Aug 6 by Churchman

So you are calling him a liar then before he’s answered your question.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 11:39]

No. Just saying what I think he'd include in his answer

Waka waka eh eh

McKenna and Ashton on 11:41 - Aug 6 with 436 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna and Ashton on 10:36 - Aug 6 by Tractorboy24

It doesn't happen like that re players though. Clubs and agents have touted players that are leaving/available for sale well in advance to all and sundry to try and get the best deal. Professional football clubs don't become alerted to players on social media/forum rumours.

There's a raft of reasons why the club might not want info getting out but there aren't any secrets in football.
McKenna and Ashton on 11:44 - Aug 6 with 412 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna and Ashton on 11:37 - Aug 6 by Horsham

Do we want the football club to accept that things are what they are or try to use every advantage including privacy to get the best outcome for the club?

They aren't going to change everything.

You can try stop the moles. You won't change anything outside of that, You're now asking them to censor the fans which is a bit odd.

What he can do is stop giving interviews to certain podcasts which gives them a bit of credibility who are one of the worst at spreading rumours.. maybe that's a starting place.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024