Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell Skip 20:31 - Aug 3 with 3698 viewsMullet

What a bloke, what a player, what a captain this man was. Privileged to see him lead out the team with the kind of intensity and pride not all players can muster.

Cheers Chambo

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Legend. (n/t) on 20:34 - Aug 3 with 3301 viewsBloots

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Legend. (n/t) on 20:35 - Aug 3 with 3258 viewsMullet

Legend. (n/t) on 20:34 - Aug 3 by Bloots

Thanks mate

Farewell Skip on 20:37 - Aug 3 with 3227 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic servant for the club. Hope he has a very happy retirement.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Farewell Skip on 20:37 - Aug 3 with 3234 viewsCoastalblue

The end of an era, and despite the criticism some might dish out on here was one of those who held the Club together in the Evans era.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

My pleasure. (n/t) on 20:38 - Aug 3 with 3202 viewsBloots

Legend. (n/t) on 20:35 - Aug 3 by Mullet

Thanks mate

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Farewell Skip on 20:56 - Aug 3 with 2989 viewsJ2BLUE

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Farewell Skip on 21:15 - Aug 3 with 2835 viewsitfcjoe

Captain. Leader. Legend.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Farewell Skip on 21:21 - Aug 3 with 2769 viewsSteve_M

What an impressive career, Town fans have to be particularly churlish not to appreciate that and what he did for the club.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Farewell Skip on 21:22 - Aug 3 with 2754 viewsJimmy86

All the best in your retirement Chambo and well deserved! A true legend for town and prob my fave Ipswich player... Know he has his football academy, but wonder what he'll do post playing career, wonder if there's a role at town for him under McKenna, or in the academy
Farewell Skip on 21:30 - Aug 3 with 2678 viewsmarvellous

Farewell Skip on 20:37 - Aug 3 by Coastalblue

The end of an era, and despite the criticism some might dish out on here was one of those who held the Club together in the Evans era.

I completely agree. For me, his love for the club and the fans is unquestionable.

Enjoy your retirement, Chambo 💪💪💪
Farewell Skip on 21:38 - Aug 3 with 2603 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Testimonial and final fist pump incoming?
Farewell Skip on 22:12 - Aug 3 with 2437 viewsitfcsuth

The absolute glue in some dark days for this club, always led by example, and was the absolutely gold standard of what it meant to be a captain.

His passion, honesty and commitment for this club can never be questioned, and should never be taken for granted.

I’m sure we will see him back at the club in some capacity in the future.
Farewell Skip on 23:13 - Aug 3 with 2269 viewsthatbdude

Good luck Chambo. Glad you played for us skipper

Poll: Who going down?

Farewell Skip on 23:14 - Aug 3 with 2279 viewsIllinoisblue

Farewell Skip on 21:21 - Aug 3 by Steve_M

What an impressive career, Town fans have to be particularly churlish not to appreciate that and what he did for the club.

I’m sure there’ll be an update to this hottest of hot takes incoming:

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Farewell Skip on 01:06 - Aug 4 with 2088 viewstractorshark

I said after McCarthy left his reign as manager would be given more respect as the years go by.
It’s the same with Chambers.
Both were excellent servants to the club, despite what some might think.
And they became victims and scapegoats for the neglect of Evans.
I wouldn’t say Chambers should be bestowed legendary status like a Wark, Beattie, Mills or Mariner.
But he should be regarded with the utmost respect by all for his commitment, leadership and achievements in the game.
We would have been in a much poorer position as a club had it not been for him and you certainly don’t play 800 games in the Football League without being a talented footballer.
Farewell Skip on 06:29 - Aug 4 with 1938 viewsTractorgirlforever

One of my favourite ever town players and ive been supporting for 45 years, legend and more importantly such a great bloke. He did so much for the club and the young players during his time here. Good luck to luke, would love to see him back here in a role with the academy somewhere.
Farewell Skip on 06:47 - Aug 4 with 1908 viewsChurchman

That number of appearances as a professional footballer is quite astonishing. I’m sure he will look back on that with well deserved pride.

However you might view Chambers as a footballer, there was never a shred of doubt that he gave his all every single game. A real one hundred percenter. I always thought his best position was at centre half but he was the type of person that’d have played anywhere he was asked. A real team player.

Chambers clearly likes the area and is settled here. I’d love to see him working back at the club in some capacity in the future with the wealth of experience he has. You just know that anything he does will be done to its very best.

Good luck to him.
Farewell Skip on 08:28 - Aug 4 with 1755 viewsMullet

Farewell Skip on 23:14 - Aug 3 by Illinoisblue

I’m sure there’ll be an update to this hottest of hot takes incoming:

The idea that's remotely true, especially with everything we know now (and were told at the time) is so fanciful.

That whole era saw so many people dig in and buy into these weird conspiracies to justify anything rather than look at the obvious. Some of these people will go to their graves spouting the same stuff I guess.

Farewell Skip on 09:14 - Aug 4 with 1644 viewsGeoffSentence

He swears when he wants.

Shame he didn't drop an F-bomb in his sign off.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Farewell Skip on 09:15 - Aug 4 with 1625 viewsKeno

Farewell Skip on 08:28 - Aug 4 by Mullet

The idea that's remotely true, especially with everything we know now (and were told at the time) is so fanciful.

That whole era saw so many people dig in and buy into these weird conspiracies to justify anything rather than look at the obvious. Some of these people will go to their graves spouting the same stuff I guess.

I think the Chambers debate is a really good way telling who knows football and who is a complete div.

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I'd argue it tells us who can rationally understand humans rather than footy on 09:26 - Aug 4 with 1569 viewsDyland

Farewell Skip on 09:15 - Aug 4 by Keno

I think the Chambers debate is a really good way telling who knows football and who is a complete div.

Was Chambers a brilliant footballer? Not really. but this is all relative and somewhat subjective. Very solid for us especially with Berra. A right back to trouble promotion or prem aspirations? I'd say no. Whatever.

He was demonstrably a brilliant captain and leader, and one of the best servants of ITFC, kind of ever, in relation to the time vs era vs etc whatever, blah blah. It's a fact, and people who slag him off are delusional and clueless...downright slanderous and libelous if anyone actually gave a shat about their "opinions", which are based on little more than Chinese whispers and simple lies.

Evans innit, and an extremely poor changeover from McCarthy to Hurst and his ridiculous deputy. I hold zero ill will to Hurst as it happens, it's all about Evans and the chronic lack of structure and support. I'd go so far as saying I'd apportion blame for the demise, for want of a better word, to McCarthy than to Chambers. Yeh I know, that's silly cos it's Evans full stop, but my point is a defence of Chambers.

COYFC

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I'd argue it tells us who can rationally understand humans rather than footy on 09:31 - Aug 4 with 1522 viewsKeno

I'd argue it tells us who can rationally understand humans rather than footy on 09:26 - Aug 4 by Dyland

Was Chambers a brilliant footballer? Not really. but this is all relative and somewhat subjective. Very solid for us especially with Berra. A right back to trouble promotion or prem aspirations? I'd say no. Whatever.

He was demonstrably a brilliant captain and leader, and one of the best servants of ITFC, kind of ever, in relation to the time vs era vs etc whatever, blah blah. It's a fact, and people who slag him off are delusional and clueless...downright slanderous and libelous if anyone actually gave a shat about their "opinions", which are based on little more than Chinese whispers and simple lies.

Evans innit, and an extremely poor changeover from McCarthy to Hurst and his ridiculous deputy. I hold zero ill will to Hurst as it happens, it's all about Evans and the chronic lack of structure and support. I'd go so far as saying I'd apportion blame for the demise, for want of a better word, to McCarthy than to Chambers. Yeh I know, that's silly cos it's Evans full stop, but my point is a defence of Chambers.

COYFC

Totally agree with that Dyllers

As a players gave everything in could it some very trying circumstances

As a captain and as a bloke, one of the best

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I can kind of understand where it comes from on 09:41 - Aug 4 with 1492 viewsDyland

I'd argue it tells us who can rationally understand humans rather than footy on 09:31 - Aug 4 by Keno

Totally agree with that Dyllers

As a players gave everything in could it some very trying circumstances

As a captain and as a bloke, one of the best

Emotion and anger and a target to blame, and all that. That is not to say the detractors are right. They are wrong, full stop.

Our paths have crossed a few times and the one that really stands out is on a train to London after a Saturday game, he was in the same carriage - cheap weekend first class, obvs ;) - and a gang of p1ssed up happy Town fans saw him and all sat around yarning footy, cussing and blinding loudly but all perfectly jovial. He was totally fine with it and answered all their questions and didn't complain about the spurting tinnies, had a laugh and gave his time up. The fans got off at Manners and Chambo turned round (there were only a handful of people in the carriage now) and apologised about the language. I think it shows the mark of a man, that.

The footballing memory that sticks in the mind is a direct free kick he took (er wtf?) that flew almost out of the North.

So there we go, arf.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Farewell Skip on 09:48 - Aug 4 with 1461 viewsStewart27

Loved Chambo in his pomp. Was my favourite player even before he became captain.

The last few seasons were awful for him here and was part of the reason we got relegated (obviously). Kinda wish he left earlier.

But now I can look back with fondness at his time here.
Farewell Skip (n/t) (n/t) on 09:48 - Aug 4 with 1460 viewsjacobnikons

Farewell Skip on 09:15 - Aug 4 by Keno

[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 9:50]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024