Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
11th, 9th & 11th 23:09 - Feb 11 with 9236 viewsGlasgowBlue

That’s our League one finishing position for the last three seasons. Money doesn’t give us the God given right to a top 2 finish just one season later.

Look at the money Sunderland spent. It took them four or five seasons to get out of this division. And going into March last year they looked like the team who were going to drop outside of the play off places.

If we finish 6th then that’s progress. If we finish in the top two, and that is still a real possibility, then it will be a fantastic achievement.

As for today’s result; so many of our draws have felt like defeats. This draw feels like a win. And psychologically could give the players a real boost.

Let’s cut out the defeatist talk, the sense of entitlement and the over the top criticism of Kieran McKenna. Along with the owners and Mark Ashton, he has given us our most exciting and entertaining season in years.

Let’s get behind the club, the players and the manager.

COYB!!!
[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 23:12]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

11th, 9th & 11th on 23:12 - Feb 11 with 4162 viewsTalkingBlues

Tbf, we had an exciting first 15 games, since then it’s been absolute gash

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:31 - Feb 12 with 3887 viewsGlasgowBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 23:12 - Feb 11 by TalkingBlues

It hasn’t been absolute gash since those first 15 games. Yes we’ve had some very poor results, although very rarely very poor performances with our two worst coming in the last month (Oxford and Cambridge).

In the period you consider to be ‘gash’ we have beaten promotion rivals Derby, Port Vale, Exeter, Peterborough, Oxford and Morecambe. Far too many draws over that period in games where we did more than enough to win most of them.

After finishing 11th, 9th and 11th, had our poor results been spread more evenly over the season and we found ourselves in 3rd place with 16 games to go, we would be more than happy with the progress.

So whilst the points total since regaining top spot the week before Christmas hasn’t been good enough to get promoted, the performances in general have been, and with new boys Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst starting to find some form in the team there is every reason to believe we can get back to winning ways. Starting with Bristol Rovers on Tuesday.

I have to say that you are the most negative poster on here. Every post you make is moan moan moan. Do you even support Ipswich

Iron Lion Zion

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:47 - Feb 12 with 3826 viewsBarcaBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 23:12 - Feb 11 by TalkingBlues

You wallow in this hyperbolic negative nonsense. Differing degrees of frustration at times but "gash" is pure negative hyperbole.
11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 with 3813 viewsChorleyBoy

Spot on, well said and thank you.

If this isn't stickied, I'll bump it to the top as often as required to keep it visible.
11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 with 3802 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Glad you mention Sunderland from last season. When they were falling and slowly dropping out from the top 6 they saved their season by changing the manager.
11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 with 3802 viewstextbackup

The notion that we should be grateful because we might finish higher than we previously have done, I’m sorry, but it’s absolutely pathetic.

You are totally overlooking the points lead we had over all those clubs that are likely to now finish above us.

That’s nothing to be grateful for, or proud of.

Top two is absolutely never going to happen. Wtf do you watch every week to believe it a ‘real possibility’ it’s delusional at best.

Them teams in those positions are relentless, can put together winning streaks, we’ve proved we can’t.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:55 - Feb 12 with 3754 viewsChorleyBoy

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 by textbackup

The notion that we should be grateful because we might finish higher than we previously have done, I’m sorry, but it’s absolutely pathetic.

You are totally overlooking the points lead we had over all those clubs that are likely to now finish above us.

Top two is absolutely never going to happen. Wtf do you watch every week to believe it a ‘real possibility’ it’s delusional at best.

Them teams in those positions are relentless, can put together winning streaks, we’ve proved we can’t.

I get your point. We've now got 5 very winnable matches coming up and if we don't get at least 11 points from those matches or end with a run of 3 wins, I might start to agree with you.
11th, 9th & 11th on 09:01 - Feb 12 with 3729 viewsGlasgowBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

Glad you mention Sunderland from last season. When they were falling and slowly dropping out from the top 6 they saved their season by changing the manager.

They changed manager after a 6-0 defeat to Bolton. That change then saw them go in a run of L L D L D.

Actually it was turning a couple of draws into wins by scoring in injury time that kicked start their season. All it took was belief.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:02 - Feb 12 with 3721 viewstextbackup

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:55 - Feb 12 by ChorleyBoy

I get your point. We've now got 5 very winnable matches coming up and if we don't get at least 11 points from those matches or end with a run of 3 wins, I might start to agree with you.

How many times will the term winnable matches be used, then we muster a few draws from them?

I’ve not given up hope we could go up via the PO, but we need a huge wake up call, and change what we are doing, because it’s just not working. (I’m not suggesting a change of manager, that would be insane at this time)

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:02 - Feb 12 with 3719 viewsGlasgowBlue

Where have I said we should be grateful? Im saying that we should be realistic.

Iron Lion Zion

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:06 - Feb 12 with 3698 viewstextbackup

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:02 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

Where have I said we should be grateful? Im saying that we should be realistic.

Realistic is just as bad. We sat top, points clear.

This is terrible form. Just what on earth do you see to suggest we have a real chance of top 2?

(This isn’t a dig, you support how you want and fair play for being upbeat)

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:09 - Feb 12 with 3680 viewsDubtractor

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:06 - Feb 12 by textbackup

This is terrible form. Just what on earth do you see to suggest we have a real chance of top 2?

The way I look at it, is that we are clearly outsiders at the moment, and there really is no hiding from the number of draws we have taken from games we should have won.

But......I will always see the positive, remain optimistic, all that jazz. If we can play with the urgency, energy and and passion as we did in the second half yesterday, then we've got a chance.

It is a big if, but there is a chance. I get people's frustrations, but I don't understand people throwing in the towel just yet. And a lot of the possibly OTT positivity is in response to the relentless negativity from some other posters. I don't include you in that by the way.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:13 - Feb 12 with 3658 viewsGlasgowBlue

We have new owners, a new team and a new manager who is learning on the job.

I’d have that settled structure in place with a long term plan rather than the knee jerk reactions that chop and change managers. If we dint do it this year, we get better and go for it again.

I’m older than you are. My time is running out. But I still have aspirations to see us compete in the Premier League again.

Am I disappointed with our drop in form? Of course I am. We were flying. Do I believe that we have the manager and players capable of regaining that form? Absolutely.

Iron Lion Zion

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:13 - Feb 12 with 3657 viewstractorboy1978

We have a real job on our hands to get top 2 now. But I do think winning a couple of games on the spin will improve confidence and momentum. We've got 5 games on the spin now that we *should* win. I appreciate we've been here before but we've got the squad capable of going on a good run of form - see the start of the season.

I just don't think the over negativity from some people is very helpful. Everybody is frustrated and we should have done a lot better points wise since that Charlton game but too many are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There's 16 games left and we just need to finish as strongly as possible from here on and see where that gets us.
11th, 9th & 11th on 09:14 - Feb 12 with 3650 viewsoldbeardy

completely agree. we have underperformed for a few months now - it isn't a blip. And more recently we haven't come out firing when we needed to - ie Cambridge and yesterday. Top 2 has gone. Did very well to get back into it yesterday and credit for that but in truth we didn't create a great deal even when well on top for much of the second half. Ok, Weds are a good side for this level but we haven't played well enough against the less good teams on a consistent basis. We can't keep bemoaning bad luck and poor refs. Some of the players look like shadows of themselves from earlier in the season, notably Burns. Need to build some confidence for the play offs because currently we can't seem to get 'up' for pressure games
11th, 9th & 11th on 09:14 - Feb 12 with 3648 viewsChorleyBoy

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:02 - Feb 12 by textbackup

How many times will the term winnable matches be used, then we muster a few draws from them?

I’ve not given up hope we could go up via the PO, but we need a huge wake up call, and change what we are doing, because it’s just not working. (I’m not suggesting a change of manager, that would be insane at this time)

"How many times will the term winnable matches be used, then we muster a few draws from them?"

"Very winnable" matches are ones when we play teams near the bottom while we're near the top. If we keep saying the term "very winnable matches", it'll mean we're still near the top.

At the end of the day it's about where we finish, not how we got there. So as long as a top 2 or playoff place is possible it makes no sense to do anything other than to give the team our full support, right?
11th, 9th & 11th on 09:26 - Feb 12 with 3606 viewsFunge

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:09 - Feb 12 by Dubtractor

The way I look at it, is that we are clearly outsiders at the moment, and there really is no hiding from the number of draws we have taken from games we should have won.

But......I will always see the positive, remain optimistic, all that jazz. If we can play with the urgency, energy and and passion as we did in the second half yesterday, then we've got a chance.

It is a big if, but there is a chance. I get people's frustrations, but I don't understand people throwing in the towel just yet. And a lot of the possibly OTT positivity is in response to the relentless negativity from some other posters. I don't include you in that by the way.

Dubbers you are wicked safe poster and a TWTD institution.

I am a negative MF, so do read my posts in that light.

We were good second half, after being beyond atrocious in the first half. Yet, as nice as we played second half, we've got Davis' slightly deflected goal, Chaplin's volley and Ladapo's chance at the end to show for it. Not enough chances created, for all that nicely-constructed football, and, again, we don't take the chances we create.

It's recurring. This team plays lovely football sometimes, but we are wasteful and inconsistent. None of our defenders fill me with confidence - Woolf looked caned first half yesterday - and it would be lovely if Walton could make a few 'unexpected' saves (I am well aware of the Cambridge pen save...)

We've chucked away automatic - to get back in now, would require us to go on a run of good form we haven't had since Sept, and for Argyle & Weds to find a corresponding run of poor form that neither have had for months.

Which leaves us in the play-offs, against Norwood's Barnsley, McGoldrick's Derby, or Notlob, most likely. Can't wait!!!

This team haven't overachieved all season - the 3-2 win against Pompey, perhaps, could be used in argument against this point, or, at a push, the 1-0 win against a Derby side in transition - and we come across as flat-track bullies - screw you, Morecambe! - this team appear mentally weak.

It's a mess, and I don't understand it. I like McK, GC's backing is a million miles away from what we saw under ME, and off the pitch it seems that we're mainly getting it right.

None of that, however, removes the need for scrutiny of how we've managed to throw automatic away - for that's exactly what we've done.
11th, 9th & 11th on 09:29 - Feb 12 with 3583 viewsPinewoodblue

Why do you thrive on negativity. You reject realistic would you accept achievable?

Sheffield Wednesday are where they are by winning so many games 1-0. Plymouth are where they are by winning on the back of amazing home results W14 D0 L1.

Will they both keep going without a blip? Who knows. There isn’t anything we do to change it but we can still achieve our primary objective of automatic promotion if we all pull together. Our style of play excites the fans that is why attendance is around 20% up on last season.

Players make mistakes, the manager too often hinders momentum by making substitutions for the sake of it but these things are not enough reason for negativity.

I don’t know how old you are but judging by your comments back in 78 you would have gone to Wembley full of doom and gloom because our League results between semi final and final were below par.

Just get behind the team and help make it happen.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:35 - Feb 12 with 3528 viewsTalkingBlues

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:31 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

It hasn’t been absolute gash since those first 15 games. Yes we’ve had some very poor results, although very rarely very poor performances with our two worst coming in the last month (Oxford and Cambridge).

In the period you consider to be ‘gash’ we have beaten promotion rivals Derby, Port Vale, Exeter, Peterborough, Oxford and Morecambe. Far too many draws over that period in games where we did more than enough to win most of them.

After finishing 11th, 9th and 11th, had our poor results been spread more evenly over the season and we found ourselves in 3rd place with 16 games to go, we would be more than happy with the progress.

So whilst the points total since regaining top spot the week before Christmas hasn’t been good enough to get promoted, the performances in general have been, and with new boys Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst starting to find some form in the team there is every reason to believe we can get back to winning ways. Starting with Bristol Rovers on Tuesday.

I have to say that you are the most negative poster on here. Every post you make is moan moan moan. Do you even support Ipswich

We've won 4 in our last 14 league games, 5 in 15, so it's mathematically impossible for us to have beaten 6 sides, as you claim. That's mid table league form btw, which given the squad we have and the £multimillions spent "improving" it, is unacceptable by any measure.

Points gained not good enough for promotion, bur performances are? Lol, you probably want to have a revisit of that statement and work out where you're going wrong.

There's never anything stopping the "belief" that we can get to winning games, the reality is, we aren't winning games, living in fantasy land won't get us promoted in real life.

I'm not moaning, I'm being critical and rightly so.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:38 - Feb 12 with 3521 viewsibbleobble

I’d argue your tone is defeatist. Stating a club of this stature with the spending power it has should see 6th as ‘progress’ given the absolute shower of 9th and 11th place finishes as a means of justification is deeply flawed.

We’ll hit 82 pts and a play-off spot. McKenna’s average is 9pts every 5 games. That’s decent but it’s not enough for automatic. Play-offs it is. I’m happy with that but given the Jan money spent and the clear daylight we’ve squandered, it’s not great spurning all of that for a lottery.
11th, 9th & 11th on 09:45 - Feb 12 with 3485 viewsMach_foreignBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:01 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

They changed manager after a 6-0 defeat to Bolton. That change then saw them go in a run of L L D L D.

Actually it was turning a couple of draws into wins by scoring in injury time that kicked start their season. All it took was belief.

Lee Johnson was sacked having had 54 points from 29 games.

Today we have 55 points from 30 games.

As you see very similar records. So is the way things pan out as we are slowly and gradually are falling like Sunderland did prior to sacking Johnson.

Sunderland acted as they were hysterically obsessed with getting out of this league. Ipswich? No pressure whatsoever from the large percent of our fanbase. That's the difference.

If we fail to get promoted McKenna and players will still be both clapped and applauded. They will also tell us they have learnt a lot from this season and everything will be groovy for many of our fans.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 9:48]
11th, 9th & 11th on 10:14 - Feb 12 with 3386 viewsbraveblue

‘Likely’ to finish above us. Presume you mean Derby who lost yesterday. Talk about half empty!!
11th, 9th & 11th on 10:25 - Feb 12 with 3345 viewstractordownsouth

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

But that manager was Lee Johnson, one of the biggest frauds in the EFL.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

11th, 9th & 11th on 10:40 - Feb 12 with 3311 viewsGlasgowBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:35 - Feb 12 by TalkingBlues

We've won 4 in our last 14 league games, 5 in 15, so it's mathematically impossible for us to have beaten 6 sides, as you claim. That's mid table league form btw, which given the squad we have and the £multimillions spent "improving" it, is unacceptable by any measure.

Points gained not good enough for promotion, bur performances are? Lol, you probably want to have a revisit of that statement and work out where you're going wrong.

There's never anything stopping the "belief" that we can get to winning games, the reality is, we aren't winning games, living in fantasy land won't get us promoted in real life.

I'm not moaning, I'm being critical and rightly so.

You said out first 15 games. I listed the wins since game 15.

That’s the trouble with hyperbole. It’s generally busted by facts.

Iron Lion Zion

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:00 - Feb 12 with 3254 viewsTalkingBlues

11th, 9th & 11th on 10:40 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

You said out first 15 games. I listed the wins since game 15.

That’s the trouble with hyperbole. It’s generally busted by facts.

We are firmly heading back down the "haven't played 3 at the back since last season" tripe again aren't we? It's embarrassing, just stop.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024