Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
11th, 9th & 11th 23:09 - Feb 11 with 9276 viewsGlasgowBlue

That’s our League one finishing position for the last three seasons. Money doesn’t give us the God given right to a top 2 finish just one season later.

Look at the money Sunderland spent. It took them four or five seasons to get out of this division. And going into March last year they looked like the team who were going to drop outside of the play off places.

If we finish 6th then that’s progress. If we finish in the top two, and that is still a real possibility, then it will be a fantastic achievement.

As for today’s result; so many of our draws have felt like defeats. This draw feels like a win. And psychologically could give the players a real boost.

Let’s cut out the defeatist talk, the sense of entitlement and the over the top criticism of Kieran McKenna. Along with the owners and Mark Ashton, he has given us our most exciting and entertaining season in years.

Let’s get behind the club, the players and the manager.

COYB!!!
[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 23:12]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:07 - Feb 12 with 1504 viewstextbackup

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:29 - Feb 12 by Pinewoodblue

Why do you thrive on negativity. You reject realistic would you accept achievable?

Sheffield Wednesday are where they are by winning so many games 1-0. Plymouth are where they are by winning on the back of amazing home results W14 D0 L1.

Will they both keep going without a blip? Who knows. There isn’t anything we do to change it but we can still achieve our primary objective of automatic promotion if we all pull together. Our style of play excites the fans that is why attendance is around 20% up on last season.

Players make mistakes, the manager too often hinders momentum by making substitutions for the sake of it but these things are not enough reason for negativity.

I don’t know how old you are but judging by your comments back in 78 you would have gone to Wembley full of doom and gloom because our League results between semi final and final were below par.

Just get behind the team and help make it happen.

Whatever I say on here doesn’t mean a thing in terms of support.

For 90mins I’ll back them 100%

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:08 - Feb 12 with 1497 viewstextbackup

11th, 9th & 11th on 10:14 - Feb 12 by braveblue

‘Likely’ to finish above us. Presume you mean Derby who lost yesterday. Talk about half empty!!

4 wins in 13… think about that

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:12 - Feb 12 with 1473 viewsTalkingBlues

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:08 - Feb 12 by textbackup

4 wins in 13… think about that

4 in 14

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:29 - Feb 12 with 1443 viewstextbackup

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:12 - Feb 12 by TalkingBlues

4 in 14

I feel sick

Atleast we nearly drew with Burnley twice

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:33 - Feb 12 with 1424 viewsTalkingBlues

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:29 - Feb 12 by textbackup

I feel sick

Atleast we nearly drew with Burnley twice

Apparently, according to the usual suspects on here, those performances proved we were a top half of the table Championship side, what a pity we can't get out of League 1 eh?

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:53 - Feb 12 with 1391 viewspointofblue

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:33 - Feb 12 by TalkingBlues

Apparently, according to the usual suspects on here, those performances proved we were a top half of the table Championship side, what a pity we can't get out of League 1 eh?

As this is Ipswich, I do have nagging doubts, but I do think we are set up nicely for the tier above. I think part of our issue is lack of physicality and experience. Take our outfield starters yesterday:

Clarke - 21
Woolfenden - 24
Burgess - 27
Davis - 23
Morsy - 31
Humphreys - 19
Burns - 28
Chaplin - 25
Broadhead - 24
Hirst - 23

Only four players aged 25 or over. Fantastic for the future but for now?

Compare that to Wednesday: Iorfa (27), Flint (33), Famewo (24), Palmer (31), Byers (26), Vaulks (29), Bannan (33), Johnson (32), Windass (29), Smith (31)

Only three players are younger than our second oldest.

Have to admit I did wonder about Plymouth; this is their starting outfield from yesterday: Longwijk (20), Wilson (33), Gillesphey (27), Edwards (32), Randell (22), Butcher (25), Miller (27), Wright (22), Cosgrove (26), Hardie (25)

We had seven players 24 or under starting yesterday; they had seven players 25 or over. Younger than Wednesday, but older than ourselves. I’d be fascinated with the make up of the rest of the top six, so may do that later, but do think whilst youth could benefit us in the long run, it may be hurting us slightly now.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:09 - Feb 12 with 1358 viewsGlasgowBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 11:00 - Feb 12 by TalkingBlues

We are firmly heading back down the "haven't played 3 at the back since last season" tripe again aren't we? It's embarrassing, just stop.

The only person embarrassing themselves on here is you, with your constant negativity. You must literally drain the oxygen out of a room when you walk in.

I don’t recall you ever posting anything positive about this football club. Are you a Budgie?

Iron Lion Zion

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:44 - Feb 12 with 1303 viewsPrideOfTheEast

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 by textbackup

The notion that we should be grateful because we might finish higher than we previously have done, I’m sorry, but it’s absolutely pathetic.

You are totally overlooking the points lead we had over all those clubs that are likely to now finish above us.

That’s nothing to be grateful for, or proud of.

Top two is absolutely never going to happen. Wtf do you watch every week to believe it a ‘real possibility’ it’s delusional at best.

Them teams in those positions are relentless, can put together winning streaks, we’ve proved we can’t.

Almost 2-1 on skybet for Weds and Plymouth to be the top 2. Good odds.
Login to get fewer ads

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:50 - Feb 12 with 1274 viewsTalkingBlues

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:09 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

The only person embarrassing themselves on here is you, with your constant negativity. You must literally drain the oxygen out of a room when you walk in.

I don’t recall you ever posting anything positive about this football club. Are you a Budgie?

You perceive anything that isn’t wildly positive, to be a negative, but there is room in between, I am critical of our form and rightly so.

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:55 - Feb 12 with 1252 viewsGlasgowBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:50 - Feb 12 by TalkingBlues

You perceive anything that isn’t wildly positive, to be a negative, but there is room in between, I am critical of our form and rightly so.

Yiu dint have to be wildly positive. But as others have noted, you post nothing but negativity.

Btw we started yesterday’s game with a back three for the first time in ages, with Burns and Davis joining the midfield as wing backs.

As Mick Mills said after the game, KM changed it back to a back 4 for the second half because it wasn’t working. The seconded hair formation is how we have been playing fir most of this season.

Iron Lion Zion

11th, 9th & 11th on 13:01 - Feb 12 with 1209 viewsFrimleyBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:55 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

Yiu dint have to be wildly positive. But as others have noted, you post nothing but negativity.

Btw we started yesterday’s game with a back three for the first time in ages, with Burns and Davis joining the midfield as wing backs.

As Mick Mills said after the game, KM changed it back to a back 4 for the second half because it wasn’t working. The seconded hair formation is how we have been playing fir most of this season.

It was a back 3, unfortunately Clarke had no idea on how this works and left wolfy and Burgess exposed when being far to adventurous going forwards

Thankfully rectified at HT

IF Burns and Clarke is going to work on that right side, Burns needs to come inside more and offer more overlaps, Clarke was getting forwards but ran into walls as Burns just stood still and refused to move inside and drag a defender with him.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

11th, 9th & 11th on 13:19 - Feb 12 with 1202 viewsibbleobble

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:29 - Feb 12 by Pinewoodblue

Why do you thrive on negativity. You reject realistic would you accept achievable?

Sheffield Wednesday are where they are by winning so many games 1-0. Plymouth are where they are by winning on the back of amazing home results W14 D0 L1.

Will they both keep going without a blip? Who knows. There isn’t anything we do to change it but we can still achieve our primary objective of automatic promotion if we all pull together. Our style of play excites the fans that is why attendance is around 20% up on last season.

Players make mistakes, the manager too often hinders momentum by making substitutions for the sake of it but these things are not enough reason for negativity.

I don’t know how old you are but judging by your comments back in 78 you would have gone to Wembley full of doom and gloom because our League results between semi final and final were below par.

Just get behind the team and help make it happen.

Why does it have to be positive or negative? Why can’t it just be objective? McKenna and the team get lots of praise. They are also due criticism when it merits it - it’s part and parcel of professional sport. Right now, it’s fair to objectively criticise when you give your fiercest rivals two goal head starts or don’t turn up for 45 minutes in a ‘local derby’. Our form is poor and we’re not doing enough statistically to show we’ll achieve automatic promotion.

At the moment lots of conversation seems to be divided between probability and hope. Probability wins.
11th, 9th & 11th on 13:42 - Feb 12 with 1156 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

What has a 11th place finish 3 years ago got to do with the last 8 weeks? Stop telling me how to think. This is a football forum where there will be post match analysis every week, nothing too crazy in that. Why if someone has concern with our form, defense and not killing teams of when in the ascendancy do you think that person has turned on the club or aren’t behind the team? This notion is so stupid.

It’s not entitlement it’s being realistic with our position, talent and budgets. It’s wanting to win and not suddenly becoming accepting that we are a notch below the teams above us when we were right there. It’s not being relieved at 2-2 or being content that we can’t win the biggest games at home because it’s better than it has been a few years ago. Town fans are so starved of success they are just happy with being in the conversation in League 1. Our ownership group will have very different ideas.

If you’re going to tell me these concerns on a fan Internet forum a few hours after a result are the reasons for our poor form, then we have bigger problems.

I’d say 29k at home is a pretty good backing of the team.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 13:48]
11th, 9th & 11th on 14:41 - Feb 12 with 1096 viewsTalkingBlues

11th, 9th & 11th on 12:55 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

All I've posted today is facts & figures on our form, comparisons every 10 games and 1st third of the season v 2nd third of the season. The fact that they make for unpleasant viewing doesn't mean I'm being negative, at some point you have to wake up and smell the coffee on what's going on, we are throwing the season away almost as badly as we did under several previous managers at the club, that's not a dig at McK, but simply where we are.

11th, 9th & 11th on 14:46 - Feb 12 with 1082 viewslongtimefan

11th, 9th & 11th on 08:49 - Feb 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

Glad you mention Sunderland from last season. When they were falling and slowly dropping out from the top 6 they saved their season by changing the manager.

I know a manager who’d get us out of this division. Unfortunately he’s employed in a league above us and something tells me you wouldn’t like him here
11th, 9th & 11th on 15:47 - Feb 12 with 1013 viewsNthsuffolkblue

11th, 9th & 11th on 09:01 - Feb 12 by GlasgowBlue

They changed manager after a 6-0 defeat to Bolton. That change then saw them go in a run of L L D L D.

Actually it was turning a couple of draws into wins by scoring in injury time that kicked start their season. All it took was belief.

"All it took was belief."

and Nathan Broadhead scoring those late goals.

We could do with a player like him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:10 - Feb 12 with 992 viewsVic

Hallelujah! Yes and amen to all this.

Wish I’d read this last night and not after I’d got home from church this morning!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:33 - Feb 12 with 970 viewsPique

Totally agree with the OP. I suspect we'll finish 3rd or 4th this season, and if we do I'll be happy with that as it will represent significant progress.
11th, 9th & 11th on 16:36 - Feb 12 with 955 viewsFrimleyBlue

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:33 - Feb 12 by Pique

Totally agree with the OP. I suspect we'll finish 3rd or 4th this season, and if we do I'll be happy with that as it will represent significant progress.

what about next season?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:58 - Feb 12 with 904 viewsPique

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:36 - Feb 12 by FrimleyBlue

what about next season?

Well, if we finish 3rd or 4th there's a more than reasonable chance we go up via the play offs - some people seem to be forgetting that. Personally I think we're very capable of beating any team in this division that isn't Plymouth or Sheff Wed over two legs, and then who knows what happens at Wembley, but I'd back us to do it. So next season could still be about what it would be if we got automatic, ie consolidating our position the Championship.

But if we don't (which I'm guessing is your assumption) then next season, yes, I would expect a serious and sustained push for the League One title, which would again represent progress. Particularly given a more settled squad, another year's experience for McKenna, probably a bit more investment in the squad, no more freak season Plymouth in the division and some pretty dross teams coming down from the Championship.

And if that doesn't happen, then yes, there would be a reasonable conversation to be had about whether McKenna is the right man. I'm not saying I'd agree with replacing him - it would depend on the context of the season. But it would be a reasonable question, because we wouldn't have progressed.

But we are progressing now, so it's a daft conversation to be having now.

But to be honest, I don't really give a toss about next season right now, because we're still in the thick of an incredibly tough promotion race, and we're right in it. He has my 100% backing.
11th, 9th & 11th on 17:04 - Feb 12 with 870 viewsNthsuffolkblue

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:58 - Feb 12 by Pique

Well, if we finish 3rd or 4th there's a more than reasonable chance we go up via the play offs - some people seem to be forgetting that. Personally I think we're very capable of beating any team in this division that isn't Plymouth or Sheff Wed over two legs, and then who knows what happens at Wembley, but I'd back us to do it. So next season could still be about what it would be if we got automatic, ie consolidating our position the Championship.

But if we don't (which I'm guessing is your assumption) then next season, yes, I would expect a serious and sustained push for the League One title, which would again represent progress. Particularly given a more settled squad, another year's experience for McKenna, probably a bit more investment in the squad, no more freak season Plymouth in the division and some pretty dross teams coming down from the Championship.

And if that doesn't happen, then yes, there would be a reasonable conversation to be had about whether McKenna is the right man. I'm not saying I'd agree with replacing him - it would depend on the context of the season. But it would be a reasonable question, because we wouldn't have progressed.

But we are progressing now, so it's a daft conversation to be having now.

But to be honest, I don't really give a toss about next season right now, because we're still in the thick of an incredibly tough promotion race, and we're right in it. He has my 100% backing.

Indeed. I also think the majority stated before this seasons started that to lose the play-offs would be failure but still progress and could see the manager being given more time in that scenario.

If we failed to go up, I think there would be pressure to start next season well. If we started to drop away from a good start (say where we are now again this time next season), then there would be big pressure for change. It is about showing progress and to be where we are now again next season wouldn't be progress.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

11th, 9th & 11th on 17:05 - Feb 12 with 856 viewsStewart27

No mate.

KM has been given 14 months, 2 transfer windows and more resources than any other manager. The fact that he has changed the way we play isn’t enough. We must not only play like this, but be 20 points clear top. Remember that we also have more fans now (as a result of the style of football) so that should also be used as a stick to beat him with.

In all seriousness, fantastic post.

Christ alive even now I’m thinking about us over 180 minutes against Wednesday. I know who id rather watch week in week out.
11th, 9th & 11th on 17:12 - Feb 12 with 804 viewsTractorWood

11th, 9th & 11th on 16:33 - Feb 12 by Pique

How so? We still start the next season in the same league. A bit of participation mindset creeping into what is frankly a dismal league.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

11th, 9th & 11th on 17:31 - Feb 12 with 772 viewsHARRY10

Utter nonsense.

Any expectation on supporters part is down to the hype (as now is) from the US group, who saw promotion as an almost certainty in their first season.

"Let’s cut out the defeatist talk"

Defeatist ! From tge man who states that finishing 6th would be progress. Yes if was Evan owning the ckub and not McK as manager. And if we don't go up it is not as if we start next season 19 places ahead of the rest. There is no advantage to finishing 6th if you don't go up.

We have had xonsiderable investment, with the understanding of that being to get us into the PL. Yet here we are into the second season with every thought that we may only reach the play offs with the all uncertainty that brings

The real defeatism is your sort, who will accept anything, other than town supporters questioning the club.

Yesterdays draw with 2nd place Weds is not what has caused the questioning, but the dropped points against the likes of Lincoln, Cambridge, Oxford. 8 points out of the last 21

But 'McK is learning' goes the bleat. We are not a ruddy driving school. I exoect with alk the money and talk we would employ some FI driver, not someone doing 30mph with his L plates up.

So don't call those who question what is happening defeatists, as they are the supporters who were led to believe we would achieve better than 6th (and be grateful for it).

And if the manager cannot produce a squad capable of automatic promotion out of L1, then what hope is there if we get to the Championship ?
11th, 9th & 11th on 17:37 - Feb 12 with 769 viewskeighleyblue

11th, 9th & 11th on 23:12 - Feb 11 by TalkingBlues

Tbf, we had an exciting first 15 games, since then it’s been absolute gash

You're either a budgie, a Plymouth or Wednesday supporter. Either way I am wasting none of my time reading your embarrassing attempts to wind the fanbase up, which incidentally are utter gash. You're on IGNORE, I suggest others do the same
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024