Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, after tonight’s result… 22:16 - Mar 21 with 3821 viewsringwoodblue

does anyone still think that Barnsley are not a major contender for automatic promotion?

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:19 - Mar 21 with 3771 viewsIllinoisblue

Barnsley and Plymouth have had incredible seasons on a fraction of our budget. We just need to make sure our season is a tad more incredible than theirs

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:22 - Mar 21 with 3705 viewsDyland

Who thought they weren't? And how are Town not, if Barnsley are?

I've seen some bollix on this board (not aimed at your post) after Town lose or draw or whatever, but tonight is something else.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:22 - Mar 21 with 3690 viewsHighgateBlue

They have scintillating form over the last dozen games. That's just over a quarter of a season, and they have 32 points over that time. They are serious contenders. Yes we've had a wonderful half dozen results, and there's no need for us to be afraid of anyone, but just assessing past form and future prospects in a calm way, I think tonight's Barnsley result was a bad one for us. To say that it's within our control is only a theoretical point. We're not going to win all of our remaining games, and we couldn't do what Barnsley did and beat Sheff Wed at home.

Tonight's results make winning the title marginally more likely, but I can't accept that they make top two any more likely. Barnsley's chances of overtaking us have improved by more than our chances of finishing above two of Plymouth, Wednesday and Barnsley.
So, after tonight’s result… on 22:22 - Mar 21 with 3668 viewsSwansea_Blue

I doubt it. Barnsley have been talked about a lot on here. Nothing’s changed there. It’s still Sheff Wednesday’s and Plymouth’s to lose though. Barnsley have the most work to do out of the four of us, although it’s looking like they can make up the ground on someone. Oakwell is going to be huge.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:26 - Mar 21 with 3572 viewsunstableblue

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:19 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

Barnsley and Plymouth have had incredible seasons on a fraction of our budget. We just need to make sure our season is a tad more incredible than theirs

Barnsley have wealthy backers… some Hong Kong money… have punted some money on wages and not fees… as per Plymouth

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:50 - Mar 21 with 3407 viewsIllinoisblue

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:26 - Mar 21 by unstableblue

Barnsley have wealthy backers… some Hong Kong money… have punted some money on wages and not fees… as per Plymouth

Surely not to anywhere near our level of spending? We spunked at least 3million in the Jan window alone.

62 - 78 - 81

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:22 - Mar 21 with 3180 viewsGuthrum

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:50 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

Surely not to anywhere near our level of spending? We spunked at least 3million in the Jan window alone.

Our average home attendances are 10k more than Plymouth and 14k above Barnsley. That's going to make a significant difference to our spending power, maybe enough on its own to offset our extra transfer fees.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:22 - Mar 21 with 3179 viewsunstableblue

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:50 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

No one is paying fees like us (I thought Weds had, but no).. its all wages

I think our backers are prepared to pay fees if they believe its a capital investment that's going to accrue value..

From what I've seen you could make a £2m profit off Davis tomorrow, £1m from Broadhead, and I suspect if Clarke continues as he is that's another £2m.

Login to get fewer ads

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:26 - Mar 21 with 3124 viewsunstableblue

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:22 - Mar 21 by Guthrum

Our average home attendances are 10k more than Plymouth and 14k above Barnsley. That's going to make a significant difference to our spending power, maybe enough on its own to offset our extra transfer fees.

6,500 ifollows purchases on occasion

35,000 replica shirts sold

4000 fans in fan zone

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:45 - Mar 21 with 2995 viewsIllinoisblue

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:22 - Mar 21 by unstableblue

No one is paying fees like us (I thought Weds had, but no).. its all wages

I think our backers are prepared to pay fees if they believe its a capital investment that's going to accrue value..

From what I've seen you could make a £2m profit off Davis tomorrow, £1m from Broadhead, and I suspect if Clarke continues as he is that's another £2m.

Spoiler: we have to pay wages too

62 - 78 - 81

So, after tonight’s result… on 00:02 - Mar 22 with 2919 viewsbournemouthblue

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:45 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

Spoiler: we have to pay wages too

Only Walton gets mentioned when listing the highest wage earners in this league, so who really knows how our wage budget compares with others

We have more depth than most sides, so it may be larger across the squad in general.

As others say, our attendances probably balance out some of the spending, how much money was recovered through sales and exits etc?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

So, after tonight’s result… on 01:19 - Mar 22 with 2698 viewsKropotkin123

I totally expected them to drop off because they beat a bunch of poor teams in their initial run. But they have maintained it. There are clearly 4 genuine contenders for automatic promotion right now.

Hoping we make autos. If we don't, I'd rather Plymouth join us in the play offs.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

So, after tonight’s result… on 06:38 - Mar 22 with 2251 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Well they have to beat us. We are winning every match to the end of the season.

Poll: would you rather

So, after tonight’s result… on 06:39 - Mar 22 with 2246 viewsWestSussexBlue

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:22 - Mar 21 by HighgateBlue

They have scintillating form over the last dozen games. That's just over a quarter of a season, and they have 32 points over that time. They are serious contenders. Yes we've had a wonderful half dozen results, and there's no need for us to be afraid of anyone, but just assessing past form and future prospects in a calm way, I think tonight's Barnsley result was a bad one for us. To say that it's within our control is only a theoretical point. We're not going to win all of our remaining games, and we couldn't do what Barnsley did and beat Sheff Wed at home.

Tonight's results make winning the title marginally more likely, but I can't accept that they make top two any more likely. Barnsley's chances of overtaking us have improved by more than our chances of finishing above two of Plymouth, Wednesday and Barnsley.

Spot on. Their form and some of our remaining away fixtures give me cause for concern.
So, after tonight’s result… on 06:49 - Mar 22 with 2192 viewsiamatractorboy

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:22 - Mar 21 by HighgateBlue

I agree with this 100%. Looking at the fixtures for all 4 clubs, ours are easily the toughest. That's not to say we can't win them, but history (this season) says that is very unlikely. Even if we do, we may still not finish top 2, which is ridiculous, but a possibility. As I posted the other day, 4 teams on 95+ pts is well within the realms of it.
So, after tonight’s result… on 09:37 - Mar 22 with 1679 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So, after tonight’s result… on 22:26 - Mar 21 by unstableblue

Barnsley were bought in 2017 by their current owners; last Summer despite being a division above us we bought Connor Chaplin from them, with him dropping down in part because we could pay him more money than them. They also lost other key players such as Mowatt and Sollbauer and finished bottom of the league

This Summer saw the likes of Walton, Woodrow and Helik leave with Ipswich cast-off James Norwood being their biggest signing. Where are you getting this information from that they are spending big on wages?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So, after tonight’s result… on 09:38 - Mar 22 with 1670 viewsMaySixth

They are a contender.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

So, after tonight’s result… on 10:15 - Mar 22 with 1555 viewsSamWhiteUK

Imagine how good we'll feel when we go and beat them 2-0 at their place
[Post edited 22 Mar 2023 10:16]
So, after tonight’s result… on 12:18 - Mar 22 with 1342 viewsBobbychase

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:26 - Mar 21 by unstableblue

6,500 ifollows purchases on occasion

35,000 replica shirts sold

4000 fans in fan zone

I think Ashton said it was 50,000 shirts sold in that interview with Matt Holland

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

So, after tonight’s result… on 15:48 - Mar 22 with 1098 viewsFrimleyBlue

Which is why some of the talk about the postponed game being looked back on if we lose as the reason we miss out on autos. You have to remember 1st November we were 12 points clear of Barnsley.

This run we are on is excellent and gives us a chance still but if we end up outside top 2 it won't be because of the end of the season fixtures and definitely not if we lose that game v Barnsley.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So, after tonight’s result… on 21:00 - Mar 22 with 876 viewsArnieM

So, after tonight’s result… on 23:22 - Mar 21 by Guthrum

Plus, we’re building for a sustainable future, not just a promotion. Or words to that effect from Ashton.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024