Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burns Scores...... 17:47 - Jan 21 with 2766 viewsCheltenham_Blue

....and its a different game and we go onto win.
Harness scores and it's a different game and we go onto win.
Hirst scores and its a different game and we go onto win.
Chaplin scores and it's a different game and we go onto win.
Clarke doesn't head into the ground or the ground is a bit softer, not semi frozen and we draw.

We are just flat out of luck at the moment.

If we have a problem, it's this, and the one thing about McKenna that concerns me. We're one dimensional. The same formation, the same tactics, like for like substitutions for the most part.
Changes in personnel to not do anything to unsettle the opposition when the personnel are all playing exactly the same.

Sides come and stick 10 men behind the ball, and we've yet to find a way to play around it. We need to find a way to score early to open the play up.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Burns Scores...... on 17:52 - Jan 21 with 2153 viewsbilllm

3 chances burns had, if he learnt some craft and placed instead of power everytime, we would have won maybe, we started badly and never got going,
Burns Scores...... on 17:54 - Jan 21 with 2136 viewslazyblue

One dimensional however had we scored with these good chances then we would not be discussing the system.
Burns Scores...... on 17:55 - Jan 21 with 2124 viewsHerbivore

But as your post suggests, it's not like we aren't creating the chances to go in front early. We missed two sitters at 0-0 and a couple of other very good chances at 1-1. The way we are set up does enable us to create, even when sides go very defensive, but for whatever reason we are ridiculously wasteful in front of goal. Compared to how few chances we concede versus how many goals we concede, it's night and day. I have no idea what the answer is to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Burns Scores...... on 17:56 - Jan 21 with 2100 viewstextbackup

We are just flat out of luck at the moment

its not luck, its quality

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Burns Scores...... on 17:57 - Jan 21 with 2088 viewsParky

We can’t keep blaming luck, you make your own luck. Completely agree about your concern regarding being one dimensional, I’d love to see us change shape and go two up-top every now and then, or play with out-and-out wingers, we’ve certainly got the squad depth for it.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 17:59]
Burns Scores...... on 18:02 - Jan 21 with 2030 viewsLankHenners

We are certainly falling to some fine margins like that and generally haven't had a lot of the stuff like deflections, penalties, refereeing decisions, lucky goals etc. go our way but when it keeps happening then there's an issue.

Over the last few weeks we've managed to be very wasteful with chances/good positions and also let in soft goals often from absolutely nowhere. Bad when one of those things happen but a real problem when they both do.

Does suggest there's possibly a psychological element here. Not enough genuine belief we'll score chances and neither that we'll hold on when ahead?

Do agree we could be being 'worked out' but if we were doing Plan A better (or at least as well as we were doing it earlier in the season) we wouldn't run into so many problems. Fairly hopeful the new signings will give us a slightly different dynamic going forwards which will make us less predictable but it has to materialise pretty quickly.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Burns Scores...... on 18:04 - Jan 21 with 1971 viewsChurchman

We’ve been ‘out of form’ for a lot of games now. This is our form. We are a mid table team. All the possession and passing and possession in the world will not compensate for the things Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth have. Quality in key areas and at key times in a game. Congratulations to them.

It’s a case now of whether we can get to the play offs, but let’s face it, even if we manage that, we won’t beat the big boys. I hope I’m wrong.
Burns Scores...... on 18:05 - Jan 21 with 1966 viewsFrimleyBlue

We Don't let Charlton score 2 late goals we win
We Don't let Fleetwood score we win
We Don't let others score. We win

All if onlys

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Burns Scores...... on 18:07 - Jan 21 with 1929 viewsGuthrum

We do need to start games sharper. The patient building of momentum (which had been working well), is simply not coming together now.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Burns Scores...... on 20:15 - Jan 21 with 1753 viewscressi

Burns Scores...... on 18:07 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

We do need to start games sharper. The patient building of momentum (which had been working well), is simply not coming together now.

But he didn't no excuses
Burns Scores...... on 20:22 - Jan 21 with 1729 viewsSwansea_Blue

Burns Scores...... on 18:07 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

We’re not having those longer spells in possession and controlling games as we were, are we. It’s gone a bit rushed and desperate, with us trying to get forward more quickly. Yet mostly this just results in us giving possession away. Sometimes it would be good to take the pace out of the game and get our passing game going.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Burns Scores...... on 20:23 - Jan 21 with 1714 viewsChurchman

Burns Scores...... on 18:05 - Jan 21 by FrimleyBlue

We Don't let Charlton score 2 late goals we win
We Don't let Fleetwood score we win
We Don't let others score. We win

All if onlys

We didn’t let anybody score. They wanted it, they grabbed it. Hunger, desire, bottle, skill, anything you like but they earned it. Credit to them.

Sheffield Weds 2-0 down against us having struggled. They fought to the very end and grabbed a point. Can you imagine us doing that against them or Plymouth come to that?
Burns Scores...... on 20:26 - Jan 21 with 1690 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Burns Scores...... on 20:22 - Jan 21 by Swansea_Blue

We’re not having those longer spells in possession and controlling games as we were, are we. It’s gone a bit rushed and desperate, with us trying to get forward more quickly. Yet mostly this just results in us giving possession away. Sometimes it would be good to take the pace out of the game and get our passing game going.

The drop off in controlling games I think is because teams have started to press higher against us.

Our tactics are patient possession based football, but when we are pressed high, we seem to panic and often give the ball away. It's something I mentioned early in the season, as something we really don't like as a side.

We have to find a way around the press and that is to move the ball quicker.

Burns Scores...... on 20:45 - Jan 21 with 1624 viewsHerbivore

Burns Scores...... on 20:23 - Jan 21 by Churchman

We didn’t let anybody score. They wanted it, they grabbed it. Hunger, desire, bottle, skill, anything you like but they earned it. Credit to them.

Sheffield Weds 2-0 down against us having struggled. They fought to the very end and grabbed a point. Can you imagine us doing that against them or Plymouth come to that?

Well, we did come back to salvage draws late against Pompey and Lincoln recently, and when we went behind to Plymouth our keeper hit the bar from a corner as we pressed for an equaliser. So I don't think it's right to suggest that we don't show fight when we're behind in games. We hit the bar today late on as well, and we equalised within minutes of going behind in the first half. The issue is that we never really should have been behind in any of those games with the chances we created and missed before falling behind.

Burns Scores...... on 20:48 - Jan 21 with 1585 viewspointofblue

Burns Scores...... on 20:26 - Jan 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

The drop off in controlling games I think is because teams have started to press higher against us.

Our tactics are patient possession based football, but when we are pressed high, we seem to panic and often give the ball away. It's something I mentioned early in the season, as something we really don't like as a side.

We have to find a way around the press and that is to move the ball quicker.

The trouble is we're easy to read. Play out to Woolfenden, he feeds out to the wide players. We either then play it back to defence or down the side. We then cross. Opposition players know where the ball is going to go so act accordingly. Playing quicker is important yes, but we need to vary our approach too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Burns Scores...... on 20:50 - Jan 21 with 1561 viewsnoggin

If my grandmother had wheels.....

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Burns Scores...... on 20:52 - Jan 21 with 1556 viewspatrickswell

It isn't bad luck, it's fecking up and blinking when the pressure is on. They need to take responsibility and start putting it right, because across this poor run of results we've certainly had enough chances to have come away with more points, but they haven't taken them. It's their fault, not fate's.
Burns Scores...... on 20:58 - Jan 21 with 1527 viewsHerbivore

Burns Scores...... on 20:48 - Jan 21 by pointofblue

The trouble is we're easy to read. Play out to Woolfenden, he feeds out to the wide players. We either then play it back to defence or down the side. We then cross. Opposition players know where the ball is going to go so act accordingly. Playing quicker is important yes, but we need to vary our approach too.

It's surprising how many good chances we create every week being so predictable.

Burns Scores...... on 21:05 - Jan 21 with 1482 viewspointofblue

Burns Scores...... on 20:58 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

It's surprising how many good chances we create every week being so predictable.

True. But I thought the original poster was talking about the troubles we have controlling a game, especially when we're leading. How many points have we chucked away from winning positions?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Burns Scores...... on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 1437 viewsRadlett_blue

Burns Scores...... on 18:04 - Jan 21 by Churchman

We’ve been ‘out of form’ for a lot of games now. This is our form. We are a mid table team. All the possession and passing and possession in the world will not compensate for the things Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth have. Quality in key areas and at key times in a game. Congratulations to them.

It’s a case now of whether we can get to the play offs, but let’s face it, even if we manage that, we won’t beat the big boys. I hope I’m wrong.

Indeed, we are now beginning to resemble Paul Lambert's Ipswich - ponderous in possession & incapable of keeping a clean sheet. McKenna has been given the ammunition to improve the squad - we have brought in 2 new strikers, one of whom seems to be a crock. Recent form is very poor & both Plymouth & Wednesday are as strong as ever. I wonder how Gamechanger will feel about McKenna if Town stumble into the play-offs & go out, given he has been given pretty much everything he could have asked for?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Burns Scores...... on 21:59 - Jan 21 with 1368 viewsHerbivore

Burns Scores...... on 21:05 - Jan 21 by pointofblue

True. But I thought the original poster was talking about the troubles we have controlling a game, especially when we're leading. How many points have we chucked away from winning positions?

The OP very much seems to be about us not taking our chances. For me that remains our biggest issue, that and conceding randomly when under no real pressure.

Burns Scores...... on 22:25 - Jan 21 with 1299 viewsJuggsy

Burns Scores...... on 20:22 - Jan 21 by Swansea_Blue

Personally think we are way too pedestrian in turning play, too often going sideways/backwards which allows opposing teams to fill their box with players before we finally decided to shoot after passing the ball around. We don’t seem to be able to manage games at all, everything is one dimensional and sloooow - we couldn’t even manage to muster a shot in injury time today - it’s like we’ve forgotten how to attack quickly or shoot from distance.

McKenna should just go back to basics and work on formations and tactics which can change up our play rather than this stubborn insistence of playing the ball around from the back which just drops us in the crap constantly. I’m not suggesting we are anything like we were but Lambert used to quote possession as a measure of the teams success and we all knew he was full of it …
Burns Scores...... on 22:55 - Jan 21 with 1241 views3_5_2

How many times have we said this? We create chance after chance and fail to score as many as we should. Burns, Chaplin, Hirst and Lapado, all really good chances but didn’t even hit the target

Been our issue all season.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Burns Scores...... on 23:07 - Jan 21 with 1200 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Burns Scores...... on 22:55 - Jan 21 by 3_5_2

How many times have we said this? We create chance after chance and fail to score as many as we should. Burns, Chaplin, Hirst and Lapado, all really good chances but didn’t even hit the target

Been our issue all season.

But what’s the answer then? We’ve brought in Hirst and Broadhead to address that but the most either has played is 80 minutes over two games.

How’s about giving them a chance before writing the season off?

Burns Scores...... on 23:19 - Jan 21 with 1180 viewsHerbivore

Burns Scores...... on 23:07 - Jan 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

But what’s the answer then? We’ve brought in Hirst and Broadhead to address that but the most either has played is 80 minutes over two games.

How’s about giving them a chance before writing the season off?

Indeed. Our problems are obvious and VERY frustrating but people are throwing out all kinds of 'solutions' that in no way address the issues we have. It's not easy to fix players missing chances as a manager, as you say, we've signed two forwards and hopefully that will help but they've barely played thus far. Our other issue is that Wednesday and Plymouth are relentless right now so if we don't immediately see our fortunes changing then automatic promotion is going to get away from us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024