Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
tv programmes being pulled 21:50 - Jun 11 with 18321 viewsTrequartista

where does this end? blm has been a worthy cause against the real issues of racism, but its in danger of being hijacked by people being retrospectively offended on their behalf.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/10/netflix-pulls-the-mighty-bo

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/11/fawlty-towers-dont-mention-the-war

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

tv programmes being pulled on 22:09 - Jun 11 with 7047 viewsSpruceMoose

Hopefully it ends with no more TV shows that are offensive to Black people and minorities airing.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

tv programmes being pulled on 22:22 - Jun 11 with 6978 viewsJakeITFC

The Fawlty Towers episode contains a couple of clearly racist scenes - I don’t think it would detract from the comedy too much to edit/remove them and I imagine that’s what they are doing.

The black face ones less easy and probably weren’t particularly ok even at the time they were made.
tv programmes being pulled on 22:23 - Jun 11 with 6975 viewsTrequartista

tv programmes being pulled on 22:09 - Jun 11 by SpruceMoose

Hopefully it ends with no more TV shows that are offensive to Black people and minorities airing.

Have BAME people been campaigning for an end to the these programmes? John Barnes, an anti-racism campaigner, wants systematic racism to be addressed but thinks Bo Selecta was harmless.

tv programmes being pulled on 22:26 - Jun 11 with 6941 viewsTrequartista

tv programmes being pulled on 22:22 - Jun 11 by JakeITFC

The Fawlty Towers episode contains a couple of clearly racist scenes - I don’t think it would detract from the comedy too much to edit/remove them and I imagine that’s what they are doing.

The black face ones less easy and probably weren’t particularly ok even at the time they were made.

Previously the 'n' word uttered by the major has been omitted, quite rightly i think, but pulling whole episodes? Surely the whole series is in jeopardy given Basil's attitude towards Manuel in every episode, if we take this to its logical conclusion?

tv programmes being pulled on 22:27 - Jun 11 with 6926 viewsElderGrizzly

tv programmes being pulled on 22:22 - Jun 11 by JakeITFC

It’s been edited out from that episode for over a decade on TV.

The Guardian is using a deliberately misleading headline to make people think it is the Germany reference and Nazi skit
tv programmes being pulled on 22:29 - Jun 11 with 6912 viewsWacko

tv programmes being pulled on 22:23 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

Have BAME people been campaigning for an end to the these programmes? John Barnes, an anti-racism campaigner, wants systematic racism to be addressed but thinks Bo Selecta was harmless.

Exactly, it was harmless. Bo Selecta was sending up specific people who were clearly identifiable other than the colour of the mask he was wearing. It's different from doing blackface which is clearly only about race

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

tv programmes being pulled on 22:36 - Jun 11 with 6854 viewsSpruceMoose

I don't know Trekkie. Is something only racist if John Barnes says it is?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

tv programmes being pulled on 22:37 - Jun 11 with 6842 viewsSpruceMoose

tv programmes being pulled on 22:29 - Jun 11 by Wacko

Exactly, it was harmless. Bo Selecta was sending up specific people who were clearly identifiable other than the colour of the mask he was wearing. It's different from doing blackface which is clearly only about race

Leigh Francis doesn't seem to agree with that assessment though.

Login to get fewer ads

tv programmes being pulled on 22:38 - Jun 11 with 6844 viewsjeera

Having once tried to sit through an episode of TMB, I can say that in my opinion removing it is doing a service to TV in general.

The others are now so old I can't imagine anyone being upset about anything there other than for the sake of it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

tv programmes being pulled on 22:39 - Jun 11 with 6841 viewsSpruceMoose

tv programmes being pulled on 22:38 - Jun 11 by jeera

Having once tried to sit through an episode of TMB, I can say that in my opinion removing it is doing a service to TV in general.

The others are now so old I can't imagine anyone being upset about anything there other than for the sake of it.

To be honest I tried watching FT again a few years ago. It's utter dross.

Come at me.

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 with 6798 viewsjeera

tv programmes being pulled on 22:39 - Jun 11 by SpruceMoose

To be honest I tried watching FT again a few years ago. It's utter dross.

Come at me.

1975 to be fair.

If I was rolling about laughing at that now I'd be concerned for my welfare.

I can honestly say I don't go looking for comedies from 40 odd years ago.

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 with 6794 viewsTrequartista

tv programmes being pulled on 22:36 - Jun 11 by SpruceMoose

I don't know Trekkie. Is something only racist if John Barnes says it is?

I would say he knows a lot more about it than you or I.

I understand your point, but i'm not cherry-picking John Barnes from a multitude of other BAME people who disagree with him and are campaigning for these comedies to stop.

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 with 6797 viewsLankHenners

Citing John Barnes isn't the best - he's long been accused of taking pay checks for saying things some white people want to say but can't because it would cross a line. Plenty of activists have rolled their eyes and shaken their heads at him for being unhelpful to the movement because of his pandering to those types of white people.

In general, I'm not sure there's an easy answer. Fawlty Towers seems like a poor decision by a TV exec trying to do the 'right thing' when they could have just aired the edited version with the strong racist language taken out. Blackface is clearly bad, there shouldn't be an argument about it and BAME people have, quite rightly, protested against programmes that included it for years since they aired. However, there's a discussion to be had about whether you leave some things up with an explainer that attitudes were different and the product reflects that, or you take it down completely, as it showcases bad attitudes and won't change any minds. Problem is, I think it's fine to personally find something 'non-PC' funny, whilst agreeing it shouldn't be given mainstream broadcast as it gives a bad message.

Programmes that satirise something or a type of person have to strike the balance perfectly or it comes across as cruel, especially when it's being broadcast to a mainstream audience. In that situation, the jokes become broader to gain mass appeal but the subtleties of irony get lost, to the point you can't detect that it was even there at all.

In short, I don't think you can make some things completely unavailable to watch but they should come with a disclaimer and moving forwards, people should just try and do comedy without doing anything racist.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

tv programmes being pulled on 22:46 - Jun 11 with 6781 viewsjeera

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

I would say he knows a lot more about it than you or I.

I understand your point, but i'm not cherry-picking John Barnes from a multitude of other BAME people who disagree with him and are campaigning for these comedies to stop.

Are people campaigning? I didn't know.

But again, does it matter? "These comedies to stop". I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people whose noses are put out didn't even know they were still available, nor cared.

tv programmes being pulled on 22:48 - Jun 11 with 6762 viewsTrequartista

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 by LankHenners

Citing John Barnes isn't the best - he's long been accused of taking pay checks for saying things some white people want to say but can't because it would cross a line. Plenty of activists have rolled their eyes and shaken their heads at him for being unhelpful to the movement because of his pandering to those types of white people.

In general, I'm not sure there's an easy answer. Fawlty Towers seems like a poor decision by a TV exec trying to do the 'right thing' when they could have just aired the edited version with the strong racist language taken out. Blackface is clearly bad, there shouldn't be an argument about it and BAME people have, quite rightly, protested against programmes that included it for years since they aired. However, there's a discussion to be had about whether you leave some things up with an explainer that attitudes were different and the product reflects that, or you take it down completely, as it showcases bad attitudes and won't change any minds. Problem is, I think it's fine to personally find something 'non-PC' funny, whilst agreeing it shouldn't be given mainstream broadcast as it gives a bad message.

Programmes that satirise something or a type of person have to strike the balance perfectly or it comes across as cruel, especially when it's being broadcast to a mainstream audience. In that situation, the jokes become broader to gain mass appeal but the subtleties of irony get lost, to the point you can't detect that it was even there at all.

In short, I don't think you can make some things completely unavailable to watch but they should come with a disclaimer and moving forwards, people should just try and do comedy without doing anything racist.

A thoughtful post, thanks.

tv programmes being pulled on 23:04 - Jun 11 with 6699 viewsTrequartista

Even Owen Jones agrees (shortly after i started the thread, this wasn't a setup). Surprised by that, he must be a fan of the show.

tv programmes being pulled on 23:12 - Jun 11 with 6665 viewsjeera

tv programmes being pulled on 23:04 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

Even Owen Jones agrees (shortly after i started the thread, this wasn't a setup). Surprised by that, he must be a fan of the show.

He doesn't suggest he's a fan but gives his reasoning.

The comment below makes it all worthwhile though.

"Well said Owen, but it's too late.
This what your side wanted to happen and the average Brit won't stand for it."

"Your side".

"The average Brit".

Won't stand for what? Who the heck seriously gives a damn about some rusty old shows having the plug pulled on channels they probably don't even watch?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 23:13]

tv programmes being pulled on 00:23 - Jun 12 with 6515 viewsfactual_blue

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 by jeera

1975 to be fair.

If I was rolling about laughing at that now I'd be concerned for my welfare.

I can honestly say I don't go looking for comedies from 40 odd years ago.

The Major understood the difference between test match teams though...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

tv programmes being pulled on 07:16 - Jun 12 with 6194 viewsWeWereZombies

tv programmes being pulled on 22:43 - Jun 11 by LankHenners

Good points there and am broadly in agreement except that I don't know how programme makers can know that what they prepare now will not be offensive in the future. Unfortunately, difficult to comprehend because it never - never ever - happens on the TWTD forum, but there are people who appear to read or watch something with the intention of being offended first and then, once all the hoops have been jumped through, allowing others to participate. And publishing a load of disclaimers beforehand is a bit like asking people to jump through a prescribed set of hoops before they can settle down and watch the programme.

I suggest that what is more important is that content is available to all but it is also important to discuss what you have read or seen afterwards. That helps us understand why we find something funny or sad, perhaps we learn that what we find funny or sad in someone else is just a reflection of what is funny or sad about ourselves. Here is Stephen K. Amos on an unfortunate incident he has recounted one or two times:

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

tv programmes being pulled on 07:22 - Jun 12 with 6174 viewsEly_Blue

tv programmes being pulled on 22:26 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

Previously the 'n' word uttered by the major has been omitted, quite rightly i think, but pulling whole episodes? Surely the whole series is in jeopardy given Basil's attitude towards Manuel in every episode, if we take this to its logical conclusion?

Do we also edit out such things as the sketch in goodness gracious me where the Indian family go out for “an English”? I mean it’s racially offensive the other way isn’t it if we want to get all snowflake like and start being politically correct and racially equal in these things?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

tv programmes being pulled on 07:25 - Jun 12 with 6168 viewsDanTheMan

tv programmes being pulled on 07:22 - Jun 12 by Ely_Blue

Do we also edit out such things as the sketch in goodness gracious me where the Indian family go out for “an English”? I mean it’s racially offensive the other way isn’t it if we want to get all snowflake like and start being politically correct and racially equal in these things?

BuT wHaT aBoUt WhItE pEoPlE?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

tv programmes being pulled on 07:42 - Jun 12 with 6119 viewsEly_Blue

tv programmes being pulled on 07:25 - Jun 12 by DanTheMan

Hey I’m not bothered by it but I just wanted to give a context on where does it end, I can fully understand the blackface stuff on little Britain being removed and the like but surely people have a right to choose what to watch from a historical perspective (dads army, fawlty towers etc) as it’s not like these are being shown weekly on prime time tv to audiences of millions?

I understand the need for some semblance of sensitivity on anything in the public domain and the whole thing around statues being removed as they are technically glorifying the people or they are there as a sign of respect for people to look up to (after all why should someone be forced to walk past a statue of someone who glorified the slave trade) but I truly don’t know how you draw a line or where you draw that line without going back through every perceived point that could be offensive to every person or that could be perceived as being so. I genuinely don’t know the answer to that but somewhere along the line some serious grown up conversations need to be had in society, we are all equal human beings who need to<have a shared respect for each other

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

tv programmes being pulled on 07:43 - Jun 12 with 6115 viewsWeWereZombies

tv programmes being pulled on 07:25 - Jun 12 by DanTheMan

Exactly, I am so offended by what this black man says that I am going to share it with the TWTD forum (warning, contains an 'n' word or two)

Here he is again, being typically offensive towards us:

I am so offending that I might just spend the whole day seeking out and re-watching all those shows before they get taken off of YouTube...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

tv programmes being pulled on 07:47 - Jun 12 with 6097 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So now everybody is talking about statues.....well that should do it!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

tv programmes being pulled on 07:55 - Jun 12 with 6068 viewsElephantintheRoom

You can still download Spartacus though

Clearly glamourising the jolly lives of white slaves with dimpled chins is fine

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024