Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive 09:45 - Feb 6 with 1405 viewsThe_Last_Baron

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/10889719/ten-stunning-wetherspoons-theatre-bingo

Some amazing buildings here which are now Wetherspoons. There's even one in Bury SE. And Hamilton Hall near Liverpool St Station.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 09:48 - Feb 6 with 1383 viewsBlueBadger

Nothing says 'respect for heritage' more than filling them full of all-day drinkers and gammon and infusing them with the smell of stale beer and oven chips.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 09:49 - Feb 6 with 1369 viewshampstead_blue

He is certainly a man in love with this country.

Full marks to him.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 09:50 - Feb 6 with 1359 viewsEdwardStone

A self-made man

Just not done a very good job of it
Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:02 - Feb 6 with 1336 viewsGuthrum

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 09:48 - Feb 6 by BlueBadger

Nothing says 'respect for heritage' more than filling them full of all-day drinkers and gammon and infusing them with the smell of stale beer and oven chips.

To be fair, by keeping them functional in some fashion, he has saved what were otherwise not always very useful redundant spaces (e.g. old cinemas) from falling into disrepair and being demolished. Preserving a lot of period decoartion in the process.

I do also like the information displays in each pub detailing the history of the location, the building itself and local personalities.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:02 - Feb 6 with 1330 viewsnoggin

Rool britanya.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:06 - Feb 6 with 1314 viewschicoazul

I enjoy many of the films of Roman Polanski, who fled America after pleading guilty for sexual assault.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:11 - Feb 6 with 1297 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:02 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

To be fair, by keeping them functional in some fashion, he has saved what were otherwise not always very useful redundant spaces (e.g. old cinemas) from falling into disrepair and being demolished. Preserving a lot of period decoartion in the process.

I do also like the information displays in each pub detailing the history of the location, the building itself and local personalities.

That's very true; plenty of towns have derelict theatres and cinemas. There' one in Swansea that's been left to rot and only now there are plans to restore it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/treasured-swansea-building-ama

Badger's reply did make me chuckle though. There's a certain culture clash between the buildings' original use and those that have been turned into Spoons.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:19 - Feb 6 with 1278 viewsBrianTablet

It's basically a Will-Of-The-People National Trust, rather than the Elite Establishment Quango that we have now.

#makestatelyhomesgreatagain #abeer(ortwo)withyourfryupisntacrime

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Login to get fewer ads

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:23 - Feb 6 with 1256 viewsGeoffSentence

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:02 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

I don't much like what I have seen of Tim Martin on the telly box, but I have to admire how he runs his business.

From the spectacular buildings the he chooses, like these which are a draw in themselves, to his pricing and just getting the details right, brandy served in brandy glasses for instances - a lot of 'proper' pubs get that wrong, that business is run well.

On the downside, you rarely get a such a good view of the interiors of his buildings through the forest of purple rinse taking advantage of lunch for a tenner.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:23 - Feb 6 with 1256 viewsGuthrum

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:11 - Feb 6 by Swansea_Blue

That's very true; plenty of towns have derelict theatres and cinemas. There' one in Swansea that's been left to rot and only now there are plans to restore it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/treasured-swansea-building-ama

Badger's reply did make me chuckle though. There's a certain culture clash between the buildings' original use and those that have been turned into Spoons.

Even there, the early cinemas (and many of the theatres) were palaces of mass entertainment for the common people, not erudition. Very little different from the modern Saturday night TV (overwrought melodramas, sentimental music, a bit of comedy, maybe something saucy, being typical fare).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:43 - Feb 6 with 1232 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Good to see listed buildings invested in. Most of those mentioned do not convert well to pubs, as evidenced by the photos.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 10:43]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 12:30 - Feb 6 with 1136 viewsThe_Last_Baron

What a bitter, joyless response to the work of a fine man providing jobs and saving fantastic buildings into the bargain.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 12:54 - Feb 6 with 1107 viewsnoggin

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 12:30 - Feb 6 by The_Last_Baron

What a bitter, joyless response to the work of a fine man providing jobs and saving fantastic buildings into the bargain.

As well as giving the unemployed something to do with their giro money.

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 13:33 - Feb 6 with 1073 viewsHARRY10

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 10:23 - Feb 6 by GeoffSentence

I don't much like what I have seen of Tim Martin on the telly box, but I have to admire how he runs his business.

From the spectacular buildings the he chooses, like these which are a draw in themselves, to his pricing and just getting the details right, brandy served in brandy glasses for instances - a lot of 'proper' pubs get that wrong, that business is run well.

On the downside, you rarely get a such a good view of the interiors of his buildings through the forest of purple rinse taking advantage of lunch for a tenner.

I'm not sure if he 'runs his business' given that he only has a 32% share of it.
Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 13:34 - Feb 6 with 1070 viewstractordownsouth

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 12:30 - Feb 6 by The_Last_Baron

*jobs that the taxpayer has to subsidise with tax credits because he pays people below the living wage

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 13:43 - Feb 6 with 1055 viewsnoggin

Tim Martin - keeping beautiful building alive on 13:34 - Feb 6 by tractordownsouth

*jobs that the taxpayer has to subsidise with tax credits because he pays people below the living wage

Patriot indeed. That is disgraceful practice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024