Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. 16:28 - Dec 27 with 2066 viewsunstableblue

.... managers, rather than cerebral ones?

Ramsey and Robson were thinkers, using mental effort, and then only emotion if needed to win games, or set up to win games.

Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche, and even the likes of Kenny Jackett, mark warburton, dean smith.

It’s always frustrated over the last ten years that our managers never seem to talk technically about matches or performances, it’s all just cliches about effort, and characters.

Even Warnock used to describe games more technically than our gruff bunch.

I do wonder who has advised him?!
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 16:29]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:34 - Dec 27 with 1683 viewsJeanManuelThetis

I'm not sure Paul Hurst could be described as instinctive or cerebral...
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:40 - Dec 27 with 1667 viewsstrikalite

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:34 - Dec 27 by JeanManuelThetis

Keane should have been on paper the one, he ticks a lot of boxes, shame he can't man manage personalities...
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:44 - Dec 27 with 1662 viewsHipsterectomy

On paper I would say that RK was an excellent choice for us at the time - Sunderland fans still adore him and would take him back instantly. He has such high standards that he went there and completely transformed the club.

He also signed some excellent players for us: Edwards, Scotland, Priskin, Murphy, Delaney, Fulop, Hourihane (though a youngster)

Jewell a bizarre (cheap?) appointment, Mick an excellent appointment, Hurst a disaster, Lambert hasn't been great.

Other than MM you could argue ME has made mostly awful decisions, when as a successful businessman, I would expect him to get them correct most of the time
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 16:45]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:45 - Dec 27 with 1645 viewsartsbossbeard

Christ.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:02 - Dec 27 with 1611 viewsunstableblue

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:44 - Dec 27 by Hipsterectomy

On paper I would say that RK was an excellent choice for us at the time - Sunderland fans still adore him and would take him back instantly. He has such high standards that he went there and completely transformed the club.

He also signed some excellent players for us: Edwards, Scotland, Priskin, Murphy, Delaney, Fulop, Hourihane (though a youngster)

Jewell a bizarre (cheap?) appointment, Mick an excellent appointment, Hurst a disaster, Lambert hasn't been great.

Other than MM you could argue ME has made mostly awful decisions, when as a successful businessman, I would expect him to get them correct most of the time

I’d say he was completely the wrong choice for Town, because I’d suggest he was managing on an emotional level - if a player didn’t match his standards, he’d shout at them. Rather than thinking about the system and approach that was going to get them playing right.

I would agree he signed some players of merit.

Also he really did not suit a small family club.

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:07 - Dec 27 with 1597 viewsLankHenners

Fair play for STILL finding ways to get an anti-Mick dig long after the rest of you lot have given up.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:09 - Dec 27 with 1595 viewsHipsterectomy

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:02 - Dec 27 by unstableblue

I’d say he was completely the wrong choice for Town, because I’d suggest he was managing on an emotional level - if a player didn’t match his standards, he’d shout at them. Rather than thinking about the system and approach that was going to get them playing right.

I would agree he signed some players of merit.

Also he really did not suit a small family club.

I'm not sure, the players who couldn't hack it were moved on pretty quickly and the stubborn ones fell out with him and were alienated.

He signed a decent amount of ex-players who were happy to work him again

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:31 - Dec 27 with 1545 viewsunstableblue

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:07 - Dec 27 by LankHenners

Fair play for STILL finding ways to get an anti-Mick dig long after the rest of you lot have given up.

It was a serious point, Marcus has hired a certain type of personality as his managers. Yes with quite different applications of recruitment, style, system.

But generally I think they are pretty stubborn, gruff types. Don’t strike me as deeply technical managers.

Mick was the only one to have some success.

But my point was perhaps Marcus needed to got for a different type. Wasn’t a dig at Mick.

Login to get fewer ads

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:36 - Dec 27 with 1522 viewsblueislander

Robson was not unemotional. In his first season he actually came to blows with Billy Baxter and Tommy Caroll two of his most senior players.
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:57 - Dec 27 with 1487 viewsPJH

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:36 - Dec 27 by blueislander

Robson was not unemotional. In his first season he actually came to blows with Billy Baxter and Tommy Caroll two of his most senior players.

He had been here two years when that happened.

On checking in The Men Who Made The Town the date of that incident seems to have been 23rd Feb 1971-SBR was appointed in January 1969.
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:02 - Dec 27 with 1467 viewsBLUEBEAT

Harry Redknapp is his footballing adviser, which says it all.

Poll: W or W

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:04 - Dec 27 with 1456 viewsBlueBadger

No, he's failed us by going for sh1t ones.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:16 - Dec 27 with 1441 viewsRadlett_blue

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:44 - Dec 27 by Hipsterectomy

Really?
Keane squandered Evans's initial investment on some VERY average players for whom he paid over the odds. e.g. Lee Martin, Priskin, Edwards & Leadbitter. He also played Damian Delaney at full back.
This was a big period in Evans's ownership as after Jim had also wasted some of his money on the hugely over-priced Norris, Quinn & Sumulikoski.After seeing so much money pi$$ed away without improving the team, Evans became very wary of the transfer market.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 10:01]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:24 - Dec 27 with 1425 viewshampstead_blue

I'd suggest that our budget also is a huge restriction on whom would want the job.

The likes of Dyche were snaffled a long time ago. Howe the same.

I don't know of another in their ilk.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:44 - Dec 27 with 1392 viewsBLUEBEAT

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:24 - Dec 27 by hampstead_blue

I'd suggest that our budget also is a huge restriction on whom would want the job.

Nigel Pearson should have been the one. He gets teams fighting tooth and nail.

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:48 - Dec 27 with 1379 viewsWD19

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 16:34 - Dec 27 by JeanManuelThetis

Distinctive and terrible!?!
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:55 - Dec 27 with 1360 viewsRegencyBlue

I think he’s failed the club, end of!
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:57 - Dec 27 with 1351 viewshampstead_blue

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:44 - Dec 27 by BLUEBEAT

Nigel Pearson should have been the one. He gets teams fighting tooth and nail.

Did we ever got close to him?
Oh, I agree he would have been good.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 19:20 - Dec 27 with 1317 viewsBLUEBEAT

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:57 - Dec 27 by hampstead_blue

Did we ever got close to him?
Oh, I agree he would have been good.

I’m sure he was interviewed at the beginning of Evans’ tenure and he’s had a few large gaps in his managerial history - the one between Leicester and Derby was a couple of years maybe? We are probably too low on his radar now, anyway. I think he was brought in at Watford to deal with impending Championship football but I reckon he may be able to keep them up.

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 19:25 - Dec 27 with 1299 viewsmrshallisfit

Priskin and Scotland.
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 19:30 - Dec 27 with 1296 viewsartsbossbeard

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 17:31 - Dec 27 by unstableblue

It was a serious point, Marcus has hired a certain type of personality as his managers. Yes with quite different applications of recruitment, style, system.

But generally I think they are pretty stubborn, gruff types. Don’t strike me as deeply technical managers.

Mick was the only one to have some success.

But my point was perhaps Marcus needed to got for a different type. Wasn’t a dig at Mick.

"Mick was the only one to have some success"

Well hidden but spotted and noted. You know, a lot more posters could get a bit cathartic here too and admit mid table championship is waaaaay better than being near the top of a pub league with a manager who appears to read tea leaves when it comes to team selection.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 20:42 - Dec 27 with 1209 viewsblueislander

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 19:30 - Dec 27 by artsbossbeard

"Mick was the only one to have some success"

Well hidden but spotted and noted. You know, a lot more posters could get a bit cathartic here too and admit mid table championship is waaaaay better than being near the top of a pub league with a manager who appears to read tea leaves when it comes to team selection.

Of course, quite a lot of views depend on whether you put results ahead of entertainment. Having said that, after promising much Lambert’s teams now seem to have reverted to hoofball.
Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 21:18 - Dec 27 with 1148 viewsunstableblue

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 18:24 - Dec 27 by hampstead_blue

Budget is a massive factor. But we’ve tended to still be outplayed by lesser funded perhaps more technical managers.

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 21:33 - Dec 27 with 1123 viewsBlueBadger

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 20:42 - Dec 27 by blueislander

Of course, quite a lot of views depend on whether you put results ahead of entertainment. Having said that, after promising much Lambert’s teams now seem to have reverted to hoofball.

Plus, aimless midfield tip-tap befor elosing last season under Lambert wasn't entertaining either.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 22:31 - Dec 27 with 1080 viewsmonty_radio

Do you think Marcus has failed us by going for emotive/instinctive/belligerent.. on 21:18 - Dec 27 by unstableblue

Budget is a massive factor. But we’ve tended to still be outplayed by lesser funded perhaps more technical managers.

Lambert has said that players matter more than systems. It's a half-truth. Eleven of the least wonderful players that have graced our turf in the past decade would respond to no system. But eleven out of the fairly technically well-equipped squad we currently possess e.g. Garbutt, Skuse, Downes, Nolan, Judge, Dozzell ought to be able to be moulded into something more coherent than we presently demonstrate.

The gruff rejoinder that repeats that systems don't matter is just saying I pick the team not you. Ramsey won the league via a system that others failed to fathom with players that were, by-and-large, not even household names in their own homes.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024