Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blatant look at me 13:39 - Dec 17 with 6040 viewsBurwell_Blue

But I’m about to drive down to southern Spain for Xmas, 1500 miles in total) - are there any tips or hints, places to look out for or particularly stop at on the way down? (Going from the Tunnel to the west of Paris) - don’t want to stop for long, quick piss and let the dog have a crap type of thing before cracking on.
Blatant look at me on 13:45 - Dec 17 with 6015 viewsStokieBlue

I had to drive from Malaga to Bilbao one time. It's a long and quite dull drive except the two ends which are lovely (Andalucia and Basque).

Lots of nice places to stop though if you make the time. Without knowing your final destination in Southern Spain it's impossible to make any recommendations.

SB
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 13:46]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Blatant look at me on 14:01 - Dec 17 with 5987 viewsBurwell_Blue

Blatant look at me on 13:45 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

I had to drive from Malaga to Bilbao one time. It's a long and quite dull drive except the two ends which are lovely (Andalucia and Basque).

Lots of nice places to stop though if you make the time. Without knowing your final destination in Southern Spain it's impossible to make any recommendations.

SB
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 13:46]

Just outside Seville is where we are heading to.
Blatant look at me on 14:14 - Dec 17 with 5969 viewsStokieBlue

Blatant look at me on 14:01 - Dec 17 by Burwell_Blue

Just outside Seville is where we are heading to.

Cool.

When you get into Andalucia the following are great:

El Torcal - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Torcal_de_Antequera
Italica - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italica
Cordoba - nice place to stop, lovely roman bridge and obviously the Mezquita

Other places are on the way but depends on your route.

Not specifically on the way but if you have time these villages/towns are lovely:

Ronda
Arcos De La Frontera
Grazalema
Olvera
Zahara De La Sierra
Setenil

SB

Blatant look at me on 14:20 - Dec 17 with 5959 viewsRyorry

*Blatant* look at me's are fine :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Blatant look at me on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 5951 viewsTIB

I had some great tapas in Santander a few years back...actually one of the best nights out I've ever had. In general though, that northern region of Spain has some great scenery and food to offer. Safe travels buddy

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Blatant look at me on 14:25 - Dec 17 with 5947 viewsNewcyBlue

Blatant look at me on 14:14 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

Cool.

Not specifically on the way but if you have time these villages/towns are lovely:

Ronda
Arcos De La Frontera
Grazalema
Olvera
Zahara De La Sierra
Setenil

SB

You're extremely well traveled aren't you?

If you had 48 hours to travel somewhere, spend some time, and back, where would you go? Assume money is no object.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Blatant look at me on 15:07 - Dec 17 with 5900 viewsMullet

Blatant look at me on 14:24 - Dec 17 by TIB

I had some great tapas in Santander a few years back...actually one of the best nights out I've ever had. In general though, that northern region of Spain has some great scenery and food to offer. Safe travels buddy

All I get in my bank is a queue and a few old people looking confused because there's hardly any people there these days.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Blatant look at me on 15:57 - Dec 17 with 5855 viewsBurwell_Blue

Blatant look at me on 14:14 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

Cool.

Ronda
Arcos De La Frontera
Grazalema
Olvera
Zahara De La Sierra
Setenil

SB

That’s great. Will settle down tonight have a read through.

My family place is in Labrija, so will be interesting to see if any are close.
Login to get fewer ads

Blatant look at me on 16:03 - Dec 17 with 5838 viewsStokieBlue

Blatant look at me on 15:57 - Dec 17 by Burwell_Blue

That’s great. Will settle down tonight have a read through.

My family place is in Labrija, so will be interesting to see if any are close.

If you are going that far down then Jerez is also nice. It's the birthplace of sherry and you can get some lovely ones there, really superb stuff.

It's also got quite a decent alcazar although not a patch on Seville or Granada.

Enjoy your trip!

SB

Blatant look at me on 16:04 - Dec 17 with 5829 viewsStokieBlue

Blatant look at me on 14:25 - Dec 17 by NewcyBlue

You're extremely well traveled aren't you?

If you had 48 hours to travel somewhere, spend some time, and back, where would you go? Assume money is no object.

That's a great question.

Probably a few too many variables though - does the 48 hours include travelling and does it need to be somewhere one has already been?

There are so many wonderful places in the world to visit I think it's an incredibly hard question to answer :).

SB

Blatant look at me on 16:05 - Dec 17 with 5827 viewsLord_Lucan

My only advice is to avoid The Paris ring road thing - although I'm not sure you can.

Could you get a ferry from Portsmouth to northern Spain?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Blatant look at me on 16:06 - Dec 17 with 5834 viewsbrogansnose

Keep a visi vest in the front of the car incase the local plod stop you. You need to put this on before you get out the car or else you get a fine, or could do. This is according to the Brogan father who used to live there so could well be total rubbish.
Blatant look at me on 16:11 - Dec 17 with 5817 viewsNewcyBlue

Blatant look at me on 16:04 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

That's a great question.

Probably a few too many variables though - does the 48 hours include travelling and does it need to be somewhere one has already been?

There are so many wonderful places in the world to visit I think it's an incredibly hard question to answer :).

SB

48 hours including travel.

Let's say you're into good food and some sight seeing (historic parts of town, museums, etc).

We don't go away for more than a couple of days so usually go within the UK.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Blatant look at me on 16:12 - Dec 17 with 5820 viewsStokieBlue

Blatant look at me on 16:05 - Dec 17 by Lord_Lucan

My only advice is to avoid The Paris ring road thing - although I'm not sure you can.

There is a ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao but it takes about 28 hours.

It was quite good actually but the Bay of Biscay can get rather choppy (obviously not by Newcy standards).

They were going to stop the route but for now I believe it still runs. If you have multiple drivers it's probably quicker to drive all the way.

SB

Blatant look at me on 16:12 - Dec 17 with 5814 viewsBurwell_Blue

Should be close to Paris about midnight tomorrow, so traffic should be minimal at that time one would hope.
Blatant look at me on 16:13 - Dec 17 with 5811 viewsBurwell_Blue

Blatant look at me on 16:12 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

It was quite good actually but the Bay of Biscay can get rather choppy (obviously not by Newcy standards).

They were going to stop the route but for now I believe it still runs. If you have multiple drivers it's probably quicker to drive all the way.

SB

We sometimes come back that way as the UK car can only be kept in Spain for 9 months of the year apparently.
Blatant look at me on 16:33 - Dec 17 with 5779 viewsEdwardStone

Blatant look at me on 16:06 - Dec 17 by brogansnose

Keep a visi vest in the front of the car incase the local plod stop you. You need to put this on before you get out the car or else you get a fine, or could do. This is according to the Brogan father who used to live there so could well be total rubbish.

Not rubbish at all Mr B

Hi viz needs to be kept inside the car where you can reach it, not in the boot or in a bag/case

Also, you will need to be carrying 2 self breath test thingies in France

All available in a handy kit from your local Halfords.....or eye-watering cost at Eurotunnel terminal/ on ferry

Best bet for travelling to southwest France or onwards to Spain is the overnight boat Portsmouth - St Malo....all fast dual carriageway/payage all the way. Bordeaux 6 hrs from when you dock in France
Blatant look at me on 16:35 - Dec 17 with 5771 viewsLord_Lucan

Blatant look at me on 16:12 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

SB

I think I looked at that once but from memory it was very expensive.

I can't imagine driving to Spain, I drove to the southern part of France once and that was bad enough.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Blatant look at me on 16:54 - Dec 17 with 5754 viewsearlsgreenblue

Blatant look at me on 16:33 - Dec 17 by EdwardStone

Not rubbish at all Mr B

Hi viz needs to be kept inside the car where you can reach it, not in the boot or in a bag/case

Also, you will need to be carrying 2 self breath test thingies in France

All available in a handy kit from your local Halfords.....or eye-watering cost at Eurotunnel terminal/ on ferry

Best bet for travelling to southwest France or onwards to Spain is the overnight boat Portsmouth - St Malo....all fast dual carriageway/payage all the way. Bordeaux 6 hrs from when you dock in France

Hiviz for all passengers, accessible from passenger compartment, no need for breath test kit in France now, they’ve done away with that, but spare bulbs, warning triangle, first aid kit, etc still required as far as I know!
Safe trip, mind the traffic police generating income to justify their jobs.......
Blatant look at me on 17:03 - Dec 17 with 5727 viewsallezlesbleus

I would agree wth LL and avoid Paris.......even if travelling at night time.

Easier to travel down via Rouen, Le Mans and Tours.

Bon voyage!
Blatant look at me on 17:14 - Dec 17 with 5711 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've done the run down to Southern France many times. We've also driven down to Granada via Barcelona and Valencia on the east side, but I guess that's little help to you.

Oing West of Paris, Poitiers or Angoulême would make a good stop offs or overnighters. We've used both; they're fairly small, have lovely architecture and are easy places to find a meal or have a quick look round without going out of your way or having the hassles of getting into or out of a major city.

Or there's Biarritz of course down by the Spanish border - lovely spot. Presumably would be lovely with Christmas lights, but I haven't been at this time of year.

Enjoy. Although it can be a bit of a slot I really love of trips down there. The whole feel of the places, cafe culture, etc., make a nice change from the UK.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Blatant look at me on 17:46 - Dec 17 with 5669 viewsBurwell_Blue

Loads of great info, thanks for all the replies.
Blatant look at me on 18:11 - Dec 17 with 5634 viewsPinewoodblue

Blatant look at me on 17:03 - Dec 17 by allezlesbleus

I would agree wth LL and avoid Paris.......even if travelling at night time.

Easier to travel down via Rouen, Le Mans and Tours.

Bon voyage!

Easier on the pocket tollwise as well.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Blatant look at me on 18:20 - Dec 17 with 5626 viewsbluejake78

We did South of Benidorm/North of Alicante a few years back.I wouldn't do it again!!!
It is nice going South when you start seeing orange and lemon trees in fruit.Not so nice coming home and the weather crapping up.
Blatant look at me on 22:00 - Dec 19 with 5359 viewsallezlesbleus

Blatant look at me on 18:11 - Dec 17 by Pinewoodblue

Easier on the pocket tollwise as well.

I did mean to mention that as well.

Also, try and have some spare euros (coins and small notes) for the tolls, as sometimes UK credit cards don't work and often, especially at night, the toll booths aren't manned.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024