Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me 18:30 - Nov 28 with 2728 viewsunstableblue

Mick Mills stated:

- “at the end of Wycombe away we saw a Town team that had weathered an intense opposition and the Town team played brilliantly to win, and he thought the Town support was as good as he could remember” - agree, I was there it felt, as Mick also stated, that we were on the ascendency

- “this season has seen some of the most entertaining football for 5 seasons” - Agree, and in flashes today the football was brilliant to watch, the move for Bonnes first miss and Celina standing out

- BUT now both the players and the fans are on their heels, not believing, and getting nervous and going into themselves - completely agree, this is a belief/confidence issues, which we saw in spades today, and of course the fans just went, and booing at the end! Jesus

The Cook added, in another spot on interview:

- come the end of the season it will read 0 points against Sunderland and 3 points against Crewe… not with at we were much better than Sunderland and stuttered against Crewe… spot on

Will changing Cook fix this player mind set?! Is it his fault only?! Will a change actually be worse in the long run?

I don’t know the answer. And I’m not sure many on here do.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 19:56]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:37 - Nov 28 with 2568 viewsitfcjoe

I don’t think I’ve seen an Ipswich side as poor off the ball as we are in a long time, how many times were they able to bypass the midfield - normally just with a simple triangle, or 1-2. Too often our defence is under siege as they come at us with runners - luckily they had very little quality in the final third or we’d have lost that.

There were a better team than us, and their confidence must be rock bottom - we just had a bit more quality where it mattered in Aluko and Celina. And I don’t think Cook knows what to do with it.

This is the time of the season when in previous years those teams that have become to be well organised and overtake us after our good starts - we just don’t look good at all in any facet realy bar having some good individuals

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:37 - Nov 28 with 2565 viewsKeaneish

Cook sent them players flying out the traps today. Donacien was eating up ground like never before and Aluko was unplayable. The front three were buzzing and it was a case of how many…then it stopped.

This side has all the ability to play one-two touch football but we don’t. We take too many touches and look to open up teams like it’s a training game as they pour men behind the ball. Our problem is definitely psychological. We have to be quicker, sharper and hungrier box-to-box. If I ever see Nsiala play a lazy pass forward and squander possession in dangerous areas again, I’m coming in the pitch and taking his boots of him.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:38 - Nov 28 with 2533 viewsthebooks

I’m really surprised this hasn’t worked out — big investment in the squad, proven manager, but here we are.

Ultimately, the manager is responsible. There’s always a bit of “the players didn’t cover themselves in glory” at the end of a managerial reign — see OGS — but their attitude is either down to the manager or just reflects things going wrong.

Besides, this really is Cook’s team — he made a big deal of dumping the last squad — no excuses on that front.

Hard to see how a change could make things worse. We’re a mid-table League One team; we have to get out of this league.
3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:43 - Nov 28 with 2449 viewsWacko

The answer is employing a leader who can instil confidence in the minds of both players and fans, by demonstrating he has tactical nous and the guts to change things when faced with teams who have worked out his plan A

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me on 18:50 - Nov 28 with 2327 viewsIllinoisblue

The idea that our problems are down to lack of confidence is quite a take. We got torn apart numerous times by bottom of the table Crewe.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:56 - Nov 28 with 2226 viewsHerbivore

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:37 - Nov 28 by itfcjoe

I don’t think I’ve seen an Ipswich side as poor off the ball as we are in a long time, how many times were they able to bypass the midfield - normally just with a simple triangle, or 1-2. Too often our defence is under siege as they come at us with runners - luckily they had very little quality in the final third or we’d have lost that.

There were a better team than us, and their confidence must be rock bottom - we just had a bit more quality where it mattered in Aluko and Celina. And I don’t think Cook knows what to do with it.

This is the time of the season when in previous years those teams that have become to be well organised and overtake us after our good starts - we just don’t look good at all in any facet realy bar having some good individuals

It was the same in our last 16 games of last season too. So poor out of possession, whether that's picking up second balls, tracking runners, or closing down the opposition rather than standing off them. The playing squad has changed entirely, the manager is the same. To be honest I make us only a bit better with the ball. There's not much in the way of structure, no discernable pattern of play. It's get the ball to the attacking players and hope one of them produces something. Compare that to the passing and movement of bottom of the league Crewe, they were more cohesive than us for most of the match. Give them any one of the attacking players we fielded today and they probably win that game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:21 - Nov 28 with 2003 viewsunstableblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:37 - Nov 28 by itfcjoe

I don’t think they were the better team on the afternoon. We edged the game and deserved to win.

That’s crystal clear. Bonne missed the two best and clearest opportunities of the match.

But it was far too close and we gifted them opportunities and passages of play.

Also I’ve seen far far worse performances off the ball by Town in recent seasons.

But you are bang on with some of the paucity in our shape and critically how the midfield was bypassed too easily, some of those easy central through balls that left them us at sixes and sevens were very worrying. This was in part because we were going quite gung-ho at 2-1. But another team would have scored easily.

Agree that without Aluko and Celina we would have struggled, BUT, Bonne, Chaplin and Doacien/Clements/Morsy were all out of sorts… evans woeful again… that’s a lot of players not giving 70%+… and that’s one of the key themes of this season.

But we had some exciting and positive displays and attacking moves… and I liked Fraser, and Edwards was good again coming on.

But my main point is we’re not yet organised, many players are out of form and our confidence is shot to pieces ….and we’re 7 points off the play offs.. with 26 games to go

It’s a risk analysis about Cook for me… he’s brought these players in, he’s a good character, he’s made some progress, and it feels if we got some confidence AND THE FANS DONT TURN.. we would definitely go on a run… BUT are the clear WARNING SIGNS that Cook is not showing enough tactical and technical nouse.

Regarding technical and tactical prowess Oxford showed a style for 20mis that if you put our squad into that shape/approach - we really maybe would fly.

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me on 19:23 - Nov 28 with 1958 viewsunstableblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me on 18:50 - Nov 28 by Illinoisblue

The idea that our problems are down to lack of confidence is quite a take. We got torn apart numerous times by bottom of the table Crewe.

As Mick Mills stated as soon as things go slightly against us, we fall apart and go insular, and stop the press and open up.

That was a fact today.

We just lose our heads, and then lose our shape.

It’s as plain as day.

Login to get fewer ads

POST OF THE DAY (n/t) on 19:25 - Nov 28 with 1940 viewsunstableblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:37 - Nov 28 by Keaneish

Cook sent them players flying out the traps today. Donacien was eating up ground like never before and Aluko was unplayable. The front three were buzzing and it was a case of how many…then it stopped.

This side has all the ability to play one-two touch football but we don’t. We take too many touches and look to open up teams like it’s a training game as they pour men behind the ball. Our problem is definitely psychological. We have to be quicker, sharper and hungrier box-to-box. If I ever see Nsiala play a lazy pass forward and squander possession in dangerous areas again, I’m coming in the pitch and taking his boots of him.

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:42 - Nov 28 with 1824 viewsitfcjoe

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:21 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

I don’t think they were the better team on the afternoon. We edged the game and deserved to win.

That’s crystal clear. Bonne missed the two best and clearest opportunities of the match.

But it was far too close and we gifted them opportunities and passages of play.

Also I’ve seen far far worse performances off the ball by Town in recent seasons.

But you are bang on with some of the paucity in our shape and critically how the midfield was bypassed too easily, some of those easy central through balls that left them us at sixes and sevens were very worrying. This was in part because we were going quite gung-ho at 2-1. But another team would have scored easily.

Agree that without Aluko and Celina we would have struggled, BUT, Bonne, Chaplin and Doacien/Clements/Morsy were all out of sorts… evans woeful again… that’s a lot of players not giving 70%+… and that’s one of the key themes of this season.

But we had some exciting and positive displays and attacking moves… and I liked Fraser, and Edwards was good again coming on.

But my main point is we’re not yet organised, many players are out of form and our confidence is shot to pieces ….and we’re 7 points off the play offs.. with 26 games to go

It’s a risk analysis about Cook for me… he’s brought these players in, he’s a good character, he’s made some progress, and it feels if we got some confidence AND THE FANS DONT TURN.. we would definitely go on a run… BUT are the clear WARNING SIGNS that Cook is not showing enough tactical and technical nouse.

Regarding technical and tactical prowess Oxford showed a style for 20mis that if you put our squad into that shape/approach - we really maybe would fly.

I was careful to say a better team and not the better team, and they are despite being bottom of the league on todays evidence.

If they even had the quality we can afford to leave out of the 18 like Norwood or Barry as an example they’d have beaten us as was just desperately short of it ij both boxes despite being able to work good positions quite easily

We are a bang average League 1 side and going absolutely nowhere

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me on 19:52 - Nov 28 with 1714 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How did we get 3 points against Sunderland? Or is he THAT confident we will win the return match?

Those extra 3 points for that defeat will be very handy, mind. When do we get awarded them?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:55 - Nov 28 with 1680 viewsunstableblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:42 - Nov 28 by itfcjoe

I was careful to say a better team and not the better team, and they are despite being bottom of the league on todays evidence.

If they even had the quality we can afford to leave out of the 18 like Norwood or Barry as an example they’d have beaten us as was just desperately short of it ij both boxes despite being able to work good positions quite easily

I hear you.

That’s why it really gets my goat when people go “oh unstable’s banging on about technical again”

We don’t have a bang average set of players, we don’t have a bang average off field set-up….

… we have a bang average mind set in the players and it seems a bang average technical and tactical plan… and the buck stops with Cook on much of this.

But technical and tactical coaching has been our issue since Royle and Mahilyow/Klugg…. And what am I told from Wigan supporters club leaders is that Cook is progressive.

And at Sunderland, against Wycombe etc we have looked the better technical side. But today, the 20mins against Oxford, Rotherham and other games we HAVE NOT.

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me on 19:57 - Nov 28 with 1648 viewsunstableblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook sum it up for me on 19:52 - Nov 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

How did we get 3 points against Sunderland? Or is he THAT confident we will win the return match?

Those extra 3 points for that defeat will be very handy, mind. When do we get awarded them?

My bad, have edited. You know what I meant. And was paraphrasing cook.

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:57 - Nov 28 with 1642 viewsNthsuffolkblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 19:42 - Nov 28 by itfcjoe

They look like they did last season. A team very capable of playing but without a clinical finisher and too willing to play it out at the back at too great a risk. Entertaining to watch but not effective at winning matches.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 20:04 - Nov 28 with 1575 viewsDurovigutum

Our shape doesn't work when the players stop working. The 2 DCMs today were too close together, this failed to open the triangles and give the pivots. Celina wandered off repeatedly and there was a huge gap down the left, so we didn't create the space - great goal, but he was the left forward and where did he score from? We are so vulnerable to balls into the gap in front of the full backs. Bonne has nothing to work with, whoever is playing as the 10 is too far away.

I read a great piece a German journalist wrote about Chelsea under Lampard and Tuchel (in the context of the newan U manager). Lampard was bemoaning the "individual mistakes" that plagued his team, Tuchel stopped them very quickly - but these mistakes were the result of a team lacking shape and direction. It is exactly where we are - Nsiala puts aimless balls forward because he is getting closed down and the midfield aren't offering him an outlet. Walton suffered the same today, looking for an outlet and his teammates were hiding, it was particularly bad at 70 minutes when we retreated into our shell.

Playing 4-2-3-1 might work with the correct players and a team with confidence, but two up front in league one with keepers who spill chances and defenders who miscontrol the ball is more sensible - especially when that two could be Piggot and Bonne.
3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 20:06 - Nov 28 with 1554 viewsunstableblue

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 18:56 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

It was the same in our last 16 games of last season too. So poor out of possession, whether that's picking up second balls, tracking runners, or closing down the opposition rather than standing off them. The playing squad has changed entirely, the manager is the same. To be honest I make us only a bit better with the ball. There's not much in the way of structure, no discernable pattern of play. It's get the ball to the attacking players and hope one of them produces something. Compare that to the passing and movement of bottom of the league Crewe, they were more cohesive than us for most of the match. Give them any one of the attacking players we fielded today and they probably win that game.

Yup

You’re lasering in on what are my concerns with Cook.

But again if Celina scores at Sunderland, their fans would have joined Wycombe and Pompey fans in saying exactly what you’re saying about their teams against us.

BUT, Marcus fecked up every manager choice by them not being technical and progressive enough… is it a surprise that he may have fecked up his final choice.

Time will tell.

But I still think player confidence and drive is meaning that they are not actually implementing cooks plans effectively in a consistent manner… I’d love to see us go on a run, so we could really judge.

But I fear the fan base have gone.

It’s interesting that the Sunderland home game could be the making of Cook or the end. And that will depend how quickly the team come out of the traps.

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 21:17 - Nov 28 with 1266 viewsN2_Blue

Spot on....we are going nowhere but too many of our fans refuse to see it. I think many know it but don't want to admit to us being pretty average after all the positivity that has happened in last 6 months.

This season will end in general malaise. Not enough dissatisfaction to put pressure on manager and owners and we will just meander our way to a 8-11th finish.

I'd love to say it will be different under Cook next season but i don't see anything in him at all.

Something needs to change but i don't think it will.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 05:33 - Nov 29 with 842 viewspowinswitch

3 comments from Mick Mills and 1 from Cook Sun it up for me on 20:04 - Nov 28 by Durovigutum

Our shape doesn't work when the players stop working. The 2 DCMs today were too close together, this failed to open the triangles and give the pivots. Celina wandered off repeatedly and there was a huge gap down the left, so we didn't create the space - great goal, but he was the left forward and where did he score from? We are so vulnerable to balls into the gap in front of the full backs. Bonne has nothing to work with, whoever is playing as the 10 is too far away.

I read a great piece a German journalist wrote about Chelsea under Lampard and Tuchel (in the context of the newan U manager). Lampard was bemoaning the "individual mistakes" that plagued his team, Tuchel stopped them very quickly - but these mistakes were the result of a team lacking shape and direction. It is exactly where we are - Nsiala puts aimless balls forward because he is getting closed down and the midfield aren't offering him an outlet. Walton suffered the same today, looking for an outlet and his teammates were hiding, it was particularly bad at 70 minutes when we retreated into our shell.

Playing 4-2-3-1 might work with the correct players and a team with confidence, but two up front in league one with keepers who spill chances and defenders who miscontrol the ball is more sensible - especially when that two could be Piggot and Bonne.

We watch the same game, but see things very differently. I feel our 2 DCM are generally too far apart, today it was better. We have an over reliance on our flanks. We are so easy to prepare for, because you know we are going to attack down the sides. And then teams play through us with ease because our central midfield is overrun.

But I think Fraser and Morsy works better than anything with evans. But the overall shape of 4231 is not working
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024