Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day 07:32 - Aug 3 with 1310 viewsSteve_M

What a finish:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58067231

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 07:47 - Aug 3 with 1271 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Imagine being told you’re going to smash the world record in the final and then finishing with silver.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:14 - Aug 3 with 1221 viewsitfcjoe

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 07:47 - Aug 3 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Imagine being told you’re going to smash the world record in the final and then finishing with silver.

Was a superb race - but looking at the times you wonder how much difference the technology is making with regards to the track and the shoes.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:22 - Aug 3 with 1190 viewsKeno

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:14 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

Was a superb race - but looking at the times you wonder how much difference the technology is making with regards to the track and the shoes.

I remember seeing a article a couple of years back how much lower world records could go which highlighted 3 factors of which does and track were a part but put the main factor as training methods and fitness, including diet etc.

If I get a few minutes I'll see if I can find it

Edit - not what I was looking but interesting nevertheless less

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/athletics-records-set-tumble-how-do-we-
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 8:26]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:28 - Aug 3 with 1168 viewsitfcjoe

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:22 - Aug 3 by Keno

I remember seeing a article a couple of years back how much lower world records could go which highlighted 3 factors of which does and track were a part but put the main factor as training methods and fitness, including diet etc.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/athletics-records-set-tumble-how-do-we-

There's an interesting one re the new Nike shoes for marathons - which sees about 3 minutes or so shaved of elite runners times - whcih has seen it dip below 2 hours as a WR

They have a plate with spring in it, which means you don't have to load up your achilles and release it every step - it also means that those who have a shorter contact time (i.e. time when foot is on ground) have an advantage over those with longer.

It gets to a stage with technology increasing, that you can only really compare those racing against each other - rather than back with previous times for World Records - but then it probably always has been that

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:30 - Aug 3 with 1162 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm gonna have a coffee and a fag first, but I have put me trainers on already. No point rushing these things.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:37 - Aug 3 with 1144 viewshomer_123

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:22 - Aug 3 by Keno

I'll slightly counter that though Keno - in part World records continue to tumble not only because of humans becoming faster/ fitter etc. but so much has changed around the track, facilities etc.

Go back to 100 years and athletes were running on 'ashen' tracks, using heavy shoes et al. Tracks now are bouncy and developed to help us run faster, for example. Factor in clothing, shoes and it all makes a difference. No starting blocks, or spikes etc.

The 100m was run in 12 seconds 130 years ago!

The interesting question would be - if a person from 100 years ago had access to the same faculties and coaching methods as we do now - they would likely be able to run just as fast. Also, what is possible going forward - what are the limits?

I'm trying to dig out the article, was very interesting. This isn't the one but the two paras are pertinent to my point:

"That probably puts the theoretical limit for the 100 meter dash closer to 9.58 than 9.00. But Weyand, for his part, thinks athletes have plenty of room to improve. "If you put together a perfect human being, and the perfect race, I could certainly see something in the low 9.40-second range, maybe a little bit faster than that, under currently legal conditions," he says.

Then again, who knows how those conditions could change. When Thomas Burke coiled into a crouch at the starting line for the first Olympic 100 meter dash, he did so without the speed-boosting benefits of modern nutrition, apparel, or training. He didn't even have starting blocks. Athletes at the Olympic Games in 2120 may well scoff at the rudimentary preparations of today’s sprinters too."

https://www.wired.com/story/ai-100-meter-dash/

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:40 - Aug 3 with 1130 viewsKeno

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:37 - Aug 3 by homer_123

I'll slightly counter that though Keno - in part World records continue to tumble not only because of humans becoming faster/ fitter etc. but so much has changed around the track, facilities etc.

Go back to 100 years and athletes were running on 'ashen' tracks, using heavy shoes et al. Tracks now are bouncy and developed to help us run faster, for example. Factor in clothing, shoes and it all makes a difference. No starting blocks, or spikes etc.

The interesting question would be - if a person from 100 years ago had access to the same faculties and coaching methods as we do now - they would likely be able to run just as fast. Also, what is possible going forward - what are the limits?

I'm trying to dig out the article, was very interesting. This isn't the one but the two paras are pertinent to my point:

"That probably puts the theoretical limit for the 100 meter dash closer to 9.58 than 9.00. But Weyand, for his part, thinks athletes have plenty of room to improve. "If you put together a perfect human being, and the perfect race, I could certainly see something in the low 9.40-second range, maybe a little bit faster than that, under currently legal conditions," he says.

Then again, who knows how those conditions could change. When Thomas Burke coiled into a crouch at the starting line for the first Olympic 100 meter dash, he did so without the speed-boosting benefits of modern nutrition, apparel, or training. He didn't even have starting blocks. Athletes at the Olympic Games in 2120 may well scoff at the rudimentary preparations of today’s sprinters too."

I'm certainly not going to disagree with any of that and ultimately its a combination of factors, but it does look like the shoe tec is having the biggest impact

I just found this which I thought was interesting

[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 8:44]

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:42 - Aug 3 with 1123 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:28 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

There's an interesting one re the new Nike shoes for marathons - which sees about 3 minutes or so shaved of elite runners times - whcih has seen it dip below 2 hours as a WR

They have a plate with spring in it, which means you don't have to load up your achilles and release it every step - it also means that those who have a shorter contact time (i.e. time when foot is on ground) have an advantage over those with longer.

It gets to a stage with technology increasing, that you can only really compare those racing against each other - rather than back with previous times for World Records - but then it probably always has been that

There has always been a bit of that Joe, certainly in relation to the track. The commentators on the men's long jump final reminded the viewers that in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics they still used a cinder track (including in the long jump) - by 1968 and Mexico that had changed.

That said of course some Olympic records in athletics are (maybe "were" now at time of writing) over 30 years old.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:48 - Aug 3 with 1101 viewsKeno

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:42 - Aug 3 by You_Bloo_Right

There has always been a bit of that Joe, certainly in relation to the track. The commentators on the men's long jump final reminded the viewers that in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics they still used a cinder track (including in the long jump) - by 1968 and Mexico that had changed.

That said of course some Olympic records in athletics are (maybe "were" now at time of writing) over 30 years old.

Isnt Bob Beamons Mexico long jump still the Olympic record?

Not sure its the world record still tho

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:58 - Aug 3 with 1068 viewsChrisd

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:48 - Aug 3 by Keno

Isnt Bob Beamons Mexico long jump still the Olympic record?

Not sure its the world record still tho

WR- 8.95m by Mike Powell in 1991 when he beat Carl Lewis in the World Championships

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 09:05 - Aug 3 with 1050 viewsElephantintheRoom

On the face of it an astonishing race. But you have two generational talents runing on a bouncy track with 'superspikes'. It's hardly a surprise - Imagine how fast Ed Moses might have gone with such advantages - and a bit of competition .

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 09:06 - Aug 3 with 1043 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:58 - Aug 3 by Chrisd

WR- 8.95m by Mike Powell in 1991 when he beat Carl Lewis in the World Championships

Held in Tokyo.

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 09:06 - Aug 3 with 1041 viewshomer_123

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 09:05 - Aug 3 by ElephantintheRoom

On the face of it an astonishing race. But you have two generational talents runing on a bouncy track with 'superspikes'. It's hardly a surprise - Imagine how fast Ed Moses might have gone with such advantages - and a bit of competition .

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day by homer_123 3 Aug 2021 8:37

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 09:31 - Aug 3 with 978 viewsSteve_M

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:58 - Aug 3 by Chrisd

The early 90s were great days for athletics, probably a combination of relative British success, a lot of TV coverage but also some superb athletes globally. I had forgotten Mike Powell until you reminded me.

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:02 - Aug 3 with 892 viewsRyorry

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 09:05 - Aug 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Was about to say the race reminded me of the wonderful Ed Moses & how he dominated the 400m hurdles back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Moses

Inspirational and humble man, a hero to me - I'll always remember him saying after winning one gold in the 1970s "I thank god for my gift of health", as I was flat on my back for a year with spinal injury at the time & thinking how much other people took their good health for granted.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:29 - Aug 3 with 859 viewsSteve_M

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 08:14 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

Interesting piece on that point:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/03/karsten-warholm-slams-super-spikes

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:58 - Aug 3 with 834 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why was his first thought 'I need to show the world my nipples'?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 12:01 - Aug 3 with 828 viewsRyorry

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:58 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

His alpha male reaction was as enjoyable as the race itself!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 12:06 - Aug 3 with 820 viewssolemio

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:02 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

Was about to say the race reminded me of the wonderful Ed Moses & how he dominated the 400m hurdles back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Moses

Inspirational and humble man, a hero to me - I'll always remember him saying after winning one gold in the 1970s "I thank god for my gift of health", as I was flat on my back for a year with spinal injury at the time & thinking how much other people took their good health for granted.

Marvellous Moses. He and Michael Johnson are probably my favourite track athletes ever.
Such a good human being, Ed Moses, and I've heard nothing to make me think that this doesn't apply also to Johnson.
The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 13:38 - Aug 3 with 765 viewsitfcjoe

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:29 - Aug 3 by Steve_M

Interesting piece on that point:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/03/karsten-warholm-slams-super-spikes

Very interesting - and good to hear an athlete talking about it properly.

Interestingly John Akii-Bua who won the Munich Olympics setting that world record is a good friends Dad's cousin. my friends brother was in the academy at Ipswich and did his 2 year scholarship without getting a pro contract. Decent sporting genes though
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 13:44]

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 15:32 - Aug 3 with 701 viewsfactual_blue

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 11:58 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

We all do that don't we?

Don't we?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 16:35 - Aug 3 with 670 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 15:32 - Aug 3 by factual_blue

We all do that don't we?

Don't we?

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 17:16 - Aug 3 with 650 viewsfactual_blue

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 16:35 - Aug 3 by You_Bloo_Right

I remember that photo shoot.

Happy days.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The men's 400m hurdles final is a good way to start your day on 18:17 - Aug 3 with 625 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I was watching thing it live last night. It’s the single greatest athletics performance of all time for me.

Sub 46 seconds over 400m HURDLES is ridiculous.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024