Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? 19:12 - Jul 17 with 1223 viewsNthQldITFC

Just saw a very well presented piece by Ros Atkins on the news channel, specifically dealing with the US heat-waves mainly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-57868135

Something about the way it was presented seemed a bit more unequivocal and hard-hitting, and a bit less mollycoddling to me, and I wonder whether there has been a policy change in the wake of these frankly staggering events? I certainly hope so; the issue needs to be rammed in everybody's face right now whether they like it or not, no matter how upsetting or frightening it is, and the BBC really ought to be at the vanguard of that effort.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 20:42 - Jul 17 with 1145 viewsTrequartista

I would also hope the horrific casualty numbers coming out of Germany and Belgium should wake everyone up - the sort of numbers you might expect in developing countries that historically would expect extreme weather.

Scientists seem to have underestimated the impact of climate change if anything.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 20:49 - Jul 17 with 1133 viewsvapour_trail

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 20:42 - Jul 17 by Trequartista

I would also hope the horrific casualty numbers coming out of Germany and Belgium should wake everyone up - the sort of numbers you might expect in developing countries that historically would expect extreme weather.

Scientists seem to have underestimated the impact of climate change if anything.

I’m not sure that last statement is correct.

Increased prevalence of extreme and unpredictable weather events is at the core of the narrative.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:00 - Jul 17 with 1109 viewsTrequartista

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 20:49 - Jul 17 by vapour_trail

Increased prevalence of extreme and unpredictable weather events is at the core of the narrative.

I haven't really studied what has been predicted in great detail, so happy to be corrected.

I just don't think the average person, (neither climate change sceptic, nor someone following the science closely), was expecting huge heat domes and mass casualties on the European mainland. They were expecting average temps rising by a couple of degrees, some ice melting, increased coastal erosion and a few more storms.

These recent events should alter a few mindsets.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:07 - Jul 17 with 1097 viewsvapour_trail

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:00 - Jul 17 by Trequartista

I haven't really studied what has been predicted in great detail, so happy to be corrected.

I just don't think the average person, (neither climate change sceptic, nor someone following the science closely), was expecting huge heat domes and mass casualties on the European mainland. They were expecting average temps rising by a couple of degrees, some ice melting, increased coastal erosion and a few more storms.

If you’re interested, I’d recommend the uninhabitable earth, by David Wallace Wells, a US journo.

The title is attention grabbing clearly.

It’s a sobering read however, without, IMVHO, feeling scaremongering.

I’ll be honest, it left be thoroughly depressed.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:13 - Jul 17 with 1087 viewsJ2BLUE

Say what you like about Sky but they have a daily climate show now. I think other broadcasters have upped their game in reply.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:18 - Jul 17 with 1072 viewsOldsmoker

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 20:49 - Jul 17 by vapour_trail

The general understanding is that we should expect an increase in extreme weather events.
It doesn't say when or by how much, so is a bit of a catchall and a 'hedging your bets' type statement.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:26 - Jul 17 with 1061 viewsClapham_Junction

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:07 - Jul 17 by vapour_trail

If you’re interested, I’d recommend the uninhabitable earth, by David Wallace Wells, a US journo.

The title is attention grabbing clearly.

It’s a sobering read however, without, IMVHO, feeling scaremongering.

I’ll be honest, it left be thoroughly depressed.

I'll second that. It is probably the most depressing book I have ever read.

While thankfully there is little climate change denialism in the UK, too many people are still unwilling to accept significant change is needed, whether it's farmers getting upset about the idea of people eating less meat, or people getting (very) angry about low traffic neighbourhoods.

I would love to see some kind of class action suit against the media and politicians who in the past have promoted climate change denial. I wonder whether in a few years we might see some against politicians who failed to act while in office. There does seem to be a trend both here and abroad of governments only taking really decisive action when court cases are brought against them.
BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:41 - Jul 17 with 1027 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ros Atkins is great. He uses the longer format allowed by online pieces very well. Pretty much every one of these summaries he’s done over the last few years has been well researched and comprehensive.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:47 - Jul 17 with 1007 viewsjaykay

good job trump isn't in charge of the u.s.a. he would be calling this fake news.
mind you last time this was discussed on here it boiled down to ,is it climate change or global warming

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 22:50 - Jul 17 with 955 viewsTangledupin_Blue

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 21:00 - Jul 17 by Trequartista

They have been warning for years that there would be more frequent, more extreme weather events.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 00:57 - Jul 18 with 851 viewsBlueBadger

Your first four words were sufficient.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

BBC policy getting a bit more robust on climate change reporting? on 10:18 - Jul 18 with 698 viewsRyorry

I think they've been pretty decent for many years tbh. Roger Harrabin, their chief environment correspondent has been superb for them since the 1980s with regular programmes like 'Costing the Earth' on R4, World Service docus etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Harrabin

Like others, they've quite rightly upped their game in response to the increasing urgency that's needed to address climate change .
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 10:24]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024