Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Care homes moaning about PPE. 18:35 - Apr 17 with 4130 viewsPecker

Blaming the Government. As the high majority are privately owned and charge a fortune, surely it is down to the owners to provide the PPE for their staff? Can't see why it is the Governments fault.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 18:36 - Apr 17 with 3091 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm sitting comfortably and I have the popcorn. Off you go everyone.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 18:56 - Apr 17 with 3054 viewsMattinLondon

I could be wrong but I think just prior to lockdown the government told care homes not to stockpile PPE etc as there was more than enough to go round. I could be wrong on that.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 18:57]
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 18:59 - Apr 17 with 3046 viewsBlueBadger

Given that they're keeping an awful lot of people out of hospital(including people who at this point would normally be in hospital with non-coved things), I'd probably be inclined to for us to give them a hand here because you never know it might
a) stop a few of their residents dying needlessly and/or winding up in hospital to die alone.
b) Stop their staff becoming ill with knock-on effects for a.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:09 - Apr 17 with 3006 viewsPecker

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 18:59 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

Given that they're keeping an awful lot of people out of hospital(including people who at this point would normally be in hospital with non-coved things), I'd probably be inclined to for us to give them a hand here because you never know it might
a) stop a few of their residents dying needlessly and/or winding up in hospital to die alone.
b) Stop their staff becoming ill with knock-on effects for a.

But it is their responsibility, right? The Government should help if they can, but it is the responsibility of the employer to look after their employees when on their premises. My mates Mum is in a care home and gets charged an absolute fortune for her to stay there, so the least they can do is buy a few gowns and masks for their staff.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:10 - Apr 17 with 3001 viewsITFC_Forever

Surely the issue is around availability, not whether they will pay for it or not?

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:11 - Apr 17 with 2993 viewsPecker

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:10 - Apr 17 by ITFC_Forever

Surely the issue is around availability, not whether they will pay for it or not?

They were just on the news complaining the Government aren't getting them any.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:12 - Apr 17 with 2992 viewsGuthrum

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:09 - Apr 17 by Pecker

But it is their responsibility, right? The Government should help if they can, but it is the responsibility of the employer to look after their employees when on their premises. My mates Mum is in a care home and gets charged an absolute fortune for her to stay there, so the least they can do is buy a few gowns and masks for their staff.

But that would be the same as the government turning around to all businesses closed during the lockdown and saying it's their responsibility to cover all the wages of staff who aren't working.

They don't charge that much more than hotels, especialy when you add in the required higher staff ratios, the provided catering, etc.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:13 - Apr 17 with 2987 viewsMercian

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:11 - Apr 17 by Pecker

Moaning about PPE when a high number of their residents are dying and a high number of staff are likely infected. How dare they!
Login to get fewer ads

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:16 - Apr 17 with 2974 viewsPecker

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:13 - Apr 17 by Mercian

Moaning about PPE when a high number of their residents are dying and a high number of staff are likely infected. How dare they!

But the residents are their responsibility, right? They are mainly private companies.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:30 - Apr 17 with 2939 viewsPecker

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:12 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

But that would be the same as the government turning around to all businesses closed during the lockdown and saying it's their responsibility to cover all the wages of staff who aren't working.

They don't charge that much more than hotels, especialy when you add in the required higher staff ratios, the provided catering, etc.

No, it isn't the same at all.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:38 - Apr 17 with 2911 viewsSwansea_Blue

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:12 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Or in other words, the state does matter. This issue again highlights the problems of devolving to the private sector parts of an important area that needs a coordinated approach in order to be most effective.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:38 - Apr 17 with 2910 viewsjeera

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:16 - Apr 17 by Pecker

But the residents are their responsibility, right? They are mainly private companies.

No, I understand what you're saying and it's hard to argue really.

Some of these places charge a horrendous amount of money and should be geared up (by law) to protect their staff, but more so the clients who are chucking that money at them in return for the service.

But again, no planning in place at local nor national level.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:40 - Apr 17 with 2899 viewsEwan_Oozami

There are many Local Authority patients in private care homes, those patients are the responsibility of the the Local Authority, who in situations like this are quite entitled to ask the Govt to step in and help...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:43 - Apr 17 with 2879 viewsPecker

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:40 - Apr 17 by Ewan_Oozami

There are many Local Authority patients in private care homes, those patients are the responsibility of the the Local Authority, who in situations like this are quite entitled to ask the Govt to step in and help...

Agree with that, but many are privately owned and therefore should be funding it themselves. I get both sides of this, but am fed up with everything being the Governments fault. Cheap journalism.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:56 - Apr 17 with 2855 viewsGuthrum

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:30 - Apr 17 by Pecker

No, it isn't the same at all.

Essential service/business needs government help in a crisis.

For that matter they might be talking about the logistics of getting hold of PPE (most of which is being sent to hospitals), rather than the cost.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:59 - Apr 17 with 2843 viewsfactual_blue

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:43 - Apr 17 by Pecker

Agree with that, but many are privately owned and therefore should be funding it themselves. I get both sides of this, but am fed up with everything being the Governments fault. Cheap journalism.

The government had best shut down the furlough scheme while they're about it.

#borisisacharlatan

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 20:07 - Apr 17 with 2817 viewsITFC_Forever

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:11 - Apr 17 by Pecker

Getting as in sourcing, not paying for.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 20:07 - Apr 17 with 2821 viewsBloomBlue

Correct, under UK and EU employment law the business have a responsibility to protect their employees.

As I said yesterday I have a friend in a care home and it cost £50k pa, 100 residents = £5million pa for the home. Friend asked the Manager last week why didnt they have PPE in the stores already last year, in readiness for a pandemic which comes around every generation.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 20:10 - Apr 17 with 2804 viewsMercian

True, and their senior management should be held account for it when the time comes. Right now they need the kit, play the blame game later.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 20:26 - Apr 17 with 2781 viewsPecker

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 20:10 - Apr 17 by Mercian

True, and their senior management should be held account for it when the time comes. Right now they need the kit, play the blame game later.

I am not blaming anyone. I just don't like the way it being portrayed as the Governments fault.
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:00 - Apr 17 with 2728 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 19:09 - Apr 17 by Pecker

When you say an absolute fortune, what is a reasonable cost?

Presumably your mate's mum is receiving accommodation, food and some level of care. I doubt the staff providing these earning a significant sum for what they do. Perhaps the care home owners are making a tidy profit, I don't know.

There is a real problem with the cost of caring for the elderly and we need to think how we do that fairly, efficiently and effectively.

I honestly have no clue how much care costs and am thankful that is because I have never been directly affected.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:20 - Apr 17 with 2699 viewsBrixtonBlue

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 20:26 - Apr 17 by Pecker

I am not blaming anyone. I just don't like the way it being portrayed as the Governments fault.

Poor Boris.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:27 - Apr 17 with 2680 viewsBloomBlue

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:00 - Apr 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

When you say an absolute fortune, what is a reasonable cost?

Presumably your mate's mum is receiving accommodation, food and some level of care. I doubt the staff providing these earning a significant sum for what they do. Perhaps the care home owners are making a tidy profit, I don't know.

There is a real problem with the cost of caring for the elderly and we need to think how we do that fairly, efficiently and effectively.

I honestly have no clue how much care costs and am thankful that is because I have never been directly affected.

Most care homes charge around £50-£60k per year
Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:39 - Apr 17 with 2661 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:27 - Apr 17 by BloomBlue

Most care homes charge around £50-£60k per year

Ouch.

As I say, if you think about the level of staffing and what they provide you can understand they are not cheap but that is an awful lot of money to find somehow even for stays that are not many years.

I guess once someone's own funds are exhausted the Government picks up the bill? Didn't they put a limit on how much a resident pays out of the value of their home?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Care homes moaning about PPE. on 21:41 - Apr 17 with 2662 viewstextbackup

£1k a week my nannys friends family pay.... if that cant buy the people there the kit they need then its a pretty poor show

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024