Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? 20:38 - Mar 15 with 1812 viewsgiant_stow

My mum's talking like she'd rather get the virus than be stuck at home on her own for 4 months.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:44 - Mar 15 with 1465 viewsMullet

My parents, Aunts and Uncles look after my Grandad in turns. He's 92 and has had issues with his lungs for a while now. I know they'll do everything for him, but it is incredibly worrying being the other end of the country and not knowing how badly it might affect them.

We're also being briefed on very little information to go into work, not knowing how many staff etc. can or will be in. There is a hospital less than a mile down the road where deaths have occurred. We're being told to prep work for kids, but have no idea of timescales, or what we do to carry on our regular job in the meantime.

I'm seeing a lot of teachers on social media worried about their health, their kids and feeling like we are seen as essential childcare with little protection or risk assessments. I can see tomorrow and the coming days being tricky for so many people.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:49 - Mar 15 with 1427 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:44 - Mar 15 by Mullet

My parents, Aunts and Uncles look after my Grandad in turns. He's 92 and has had issues with his lungs for a while now. I know they'll do everything for him, but it is incredibly worrying being the other end of the country and not knowing how badly it might affect them.

We're also being briefed on very little information to go into work, not knowing how many staff etc. can or will be in. There is a hospital less than a mile down the road where deaths have occurred. We're being told to prep work for kids, but have no idea of timescales, or what we do to carry on our regular job in the meantime.

I'm seeing a lot of teachers on social media worried about their health, their kids and feeling like we are seen as essential childcare with little protection or risk assessments. I can see tomorrow and the coming days being tricky for so many people.

F*ck man, you have my sympathies. You’re teachers, this is not in your job role or pay scale.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:51 - Mar 15 with 1406 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:49 - Mar 15 by monytowbray

F*ck man, you have my sympathies. You’re teachers, this is not in your job role or pay scale.

Agree. Same as medical staff, care home workers, supermarket and pharmacy staff etc.

If this outbreak ends up being better than expected and costing less than expected i'd like to see certain industries get rewarded. The actual staff on the ground, not the likes of Tesco as a company.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:51 - Mar 15 with 1405 viewsReuser_is_God

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:44 - Mar 15 by Mullet

Anything in the theory that they’re trying to incorporate the “lockdown” period in with the Easter holidays? When do they even start? Not for a few weeks yet I’d assume?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:52 - Mar 15 with 1388 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:51 - Mar 15 by Reuser_is_God

Anything in the theory that they’re trying to incorporate the “lockdown” period in with the Easter holidays? When do they even start? Not for a few weeks yet I’d assume?

I give it a week if we have a shred of sanity left. Then we’re on our own in no-man’s land.

TWTD never forgets…

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:53 - Mar 15 with 1382 viewsgiant_stow

Best of luck with your grandad mr. Very werid times - feels like we're all feeling our way, day by day where even little micro decisions can have massive consequnces.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:53 - Mar 15 with 1371 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:51 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

Agree. Same as medical staff, care home workers, supermarket and pharmacy staff etc.

If this outbreak ends up being better than expected and costing less than expected i'd like to see certain industries get rewarded. The actual staff on the ground, not the likes of Tesco as a company.

Payrise for public workers? They’ll be promised them and then told “actually budget won’t allow for it, too many millionaires we need to bail out.”

I wish.

TWTD never forgets…

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:56 - Mar 15 with 1340 viewsm14_blue

Yep, my mum is only just 70 but is on borrowed time already and this basically means they won’t be able to do any of the things they like for much of what’s left of it, including seeing their grandchildren.

Pretty sh1t situation all round, and there’ll be millions of individual stories like this.

Gutting.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:57 - Mar 15 with 1329 viewsGuthrum

Just been speaking to my mother (age 81) and she's quite stoical about the whole thing. Major disappointment being that she may not get to see my sister and the grandchildren at Easter.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:02 - Mar 15 with 1307 viewsTangledupin_Blue

We have a family funeral tomorrow. One aunt in mid eighties has already travelled down from Lancashire and is staying 'til Tuesday. Dad's sister, aged 93, is travelling down from Lancs tomorrow and returning home tomorrow night.

They have plenty of family around to help them in small ways but, as much as possible, they are independent, spirited people who won't take easily to being cooped up.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:02 - Mar 15 with 1305 viewsPJH

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:56 - Mar 15 by m14_blue

Yep, my mum is only just 70 but is on borrowed time already and this basically means they won’t be able to do any of the things they like for much of what’s left of it, including seeing their grandchildren.

Pretty sh1t situation all round, and there’ll be millions of individual stories like this.

Gutting.

Yes, my wife and myself were going to go to see wife's mum in Nottinghamshire the week after next-her mum is 95-but wife's brother who lives with the mum has said not to go.

Hopefully we will get to see her when this lot is over.

My own mum is 94 but she is only down the road from us so I see her almost every day but she could certainly do without catching this thing.
Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:06 - Mar 15 with 1274 viewsMullet

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:49 - Mar 15 by monytowbray

Cheers Callis, but it's not on a scale that proper frontline workers are facing I guess.

It's a very hard balancing act in my place. It's in the bottom 5 most deprived areas of Greater Manchester, (bottom 20 in the UK) has a lot of students who don't speak English well, many are Italian born and from immigrant stock who got EU citizenship there. There was a real panic to assess who might have travelled or come into contact with family who had been in affected areas, with little information coming from that.

We also have lots of issues around child protection, deprivation and other stuff I can't go into. But it means plenty of kids will be at risk of other social issues as school is the place they get fed, looked after etc. You don't want to be at home, because you know they will suffer not just from losing track in their education but other ways too.

Many won't admit they can't access the internet or their only access is phone data they can't afford to use to download loads of work on for example, or will take paper copies of stuff even if we can get them out in time.

The boss has been clear and sent out emails asap but we can only go off the government's advice and that's just "wash your hands" in the main it seems. I'd say you'll see a rough correlation of school responses and damage done, relative to the wealth of the area and kids unless something is sorted tomorrow.

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:08 - Mar 15 with 1257 viewsMullet

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:53 - Mar 15 by giant_stow

Best of luck with your grandad mr. Very werid times - feels like we're all feeling our way, day by day where even little micro decisions can have massive consequnces.

Cheers mate. I'm trying not to be too over dramatic, but I do worry about getting down to see him right now I'm not going to lie.

It's all very surreal, I'm seeing people you wouldn't expect at both ends of the scale from bog roll snatching mania to outright refusal that anything is wrong.

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:11 - Mar 15 with 1238 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:06 - Mar 15 by Mullet

Cheers Callis, but it's not on a scale that proper frontline workers are facing I guess.

It's a very hard balancing act in my place. It's in the bottom 5 most deprived areas of Greater Manchester, (bottom 20 in the UK) has a lot of students who don't speak English well, many are Italian born and from immigrant stock who got EU citizenship there. There was a real panic to assess who might have travelled or come into contact with family who had been in affected areas, with little information coming from that.

We also have lots of issues around child protection, deprivation and other stuff I can't go into. But it means plenty of kids will be at risk of other social issues as school is the place they get fed, looked after etc. You don't want to be at home, because you know they will suffer not just from losing track in their education but other ways too.

Many won't admit they can't access the internet or their only access is phone data they can't afford to use to download loads of work on for example, or will take paper copies of stuff even if we can get them out in time.

The boss has been clear and sent out emails asap but we can only go off the government's advice and that's just "wash your hands" in the main it seems. I'd say you'll see a rough correlation of school responses and damage done, relative to the wealth of the area and kids unless something is sorted tomorrow.

The whole system is being exposed in the way some folk have been screaming for years and still people are more concerned about toilet paper panic buyers rather than the lives of thousands.

What a depressing time. No expense should be too much to help anyone right now yet we’ve seen zero planning from our leader who is probably conference calling from an island somewhere (or will be soon).

TWTD never forgets…

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:20 - Mar 15 with 1202 viewsm14_blue

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:02 - Mar 15 by PJH

Yes, my wife and myself were going to go to see wife's mum in Nottinghamshire the week after next-her mum is 95-but wife's brother who lives with the mum has said not to go.

Hopefully we will get to see her when this lot is over.

My own mum is 94 but she is only down the road from us so I see her almost every day but she could certainly do without catching this thing.

Scary stuff isn’t it?

Best of British to all concerned.
Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 21:28 - Mar 15 with 1173 viewsclive_baker

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 20:51 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

That would be nice.

My wife is a nurse, she’s not in it for the money but it sure would boost morale. It feels like the calm before the storm in many respects. One thing we can take comfort from is that there are a lot of phenomenal people within the NHS. We’re so so lucky to have such a capable health service. Needless to say there’s only a finite amount of capacity, and hopefully everyone who needs assistance over the coming weeks can continue to get it. One day at a time is our approach.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 22:12 - Mar 15 with 1055 viewsRadlett_blue

My wife cooks each week for a group of oldies at a local "lunch club". The current intention is not to cancel it as for some of these people, this is the only social interaction they get & they'd rather take a small risk rather than be cooped up at home eternally.
However, I appreciate that the isolation of those over 70 is designed to try to keep the pressure on health services down to a manageable level.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 22:24 - Mar 15 with 1031 viewsEdmundo

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 22:12 - Mar 15 by Radlett_blue

My wife cooks each week for a group of oldies at a local "lunch club". The current intention is not to cancel it as for some of these people, this is the only social interaction they get & they'd rather take a small risk rather than be cooped up at home eternally.
However, I appreciate that the isolation of those over 70 is designed to try to keep the pressure on health services down to a manageable level.

A number of elderly folk in our village are planning to carry on regardless. They'd rather take the risk than have isolation and the mental stress that goes with it. It's a tough one. Just hope and pray we "flatten the curve", the sun shines on our little island and we get over this miraculously quickly.
Be healthy, everyone.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 22:30 - Mar 15 with 1011 viewsJ2BLUE

Should have posted this in here:

Facebook Portal/Amazon Echo Show - Elderly in lockdown by J2BLUE 15 Mar 2020 21:10
Anyone got either of these or anything similar? I'm thinking they might be a great idea for the elderly facing lockdown, especially if they live alone.

Or maybe even a cheap Amazon Kindle Fire with the Skype app.

Anyone planning anything similar?

Could make a big difference for elderly people to be able to see their kids/grandchildren etc.

Truly impaired.

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:01 - Mar 15 with 941 viewsRyorry

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 22:30 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

Should have posted this in here:

Facebook Portal/Amazon Echo Show - Elderly in lockdown by J2BLUE 15 Mar 2020 21:10
Anyone got either of these or anything similar? I'm thinking they might be a great idea for the elderly facing lockdown, especially if they live alone.

Or maybe even a cheap Amazon Kindle Fire with the Skype app.

Anyone planning anything similar?

Could make a big difference for elderly people to be able to see their kids/grandchildren etc.

Will take a look at that, thanks, could be crucial. Friend rang earlier & we were talking about possible methods of visual phone contact, 4 of us as a group but none of us have ever used skype.

70+ now & I'm one of those who's luckily quite good at being in my own company, but does the Govt. really understand what it would be asking over 70s and/or others in high risk group to do to do? For those who live on their own, it's effectively 4 months of house arrest in solitary confinement. The risk of mental breakdown would be huge.

Hats off to all who are carers, looking out for others, and are in essential services keeping things going incl teachers, retail workers, communications staff etc etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:07 - Mar 15 with 907 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:01 - Mar 15 by Ryorry

Will take a look at that, thanks, could be crucial. Friend rang earlier & we were talking about possible methods of visual phone contact, 4 of us as a group but none of us have ever used skype.

70+ now & I'm one of those who's luckily quite good at being in my own company, but does the Govt. really understand what it would be asking over 70s and/or others in high risk group to do to do? For those who live on their own, it's effectively 4 months of house arrest in solitary confinement. The risk of mental breakdown would be huge.

Hats off to all who are carers, looking out for others, and are in essential services keeping things going incl teachers, retail workers, communications staff etc etc.

If they have internet access then a cheap tablet with Skype is probably the way to go. There are quite a few options for those with a bit of cash to spare. Temporary internet is available from places like PC World. A crash course in Skype shouldn't take too long and they could always bookmark a few Skype tutorials on Youtube if they need a refresher.

Facetime is another decent option on the off chance they have iphones.

I'm going to set up multiple face to face options with my mum and brother. My nan lives nextdoor to my mum so another option is having a coffee together over the garden fence!

Truly impaired.

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:19 - Mar 15 with 879 viewsRyorry

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:07 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

If they have internet access then a cheap tablet with Skype is probably the way to go. There are quite a few options for those with a bit of cash to spare. Temporary internet is available from places like PC World. A crash course in Skype shouldn't take too long and they could always bookmark a few Skype tutorials on Youtube if they need a refresher.

Facetime is another decent option on the off chance they have iphones.

I'm going to set up multiple face to face options with my mum and brother. My nan lives nextdoor to my mum so another option is having a coffee together over the garden fence!

Mmm, thanks, i think shelling out on new tablets or whatever + taking course in new tech might not be too popular tho! I'd been considering getting a new phone, not too happy with Samsung 2016 version, but pretty sure everyone else isn't on apple.

Can't you skype on any device with a net connection then?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:27 - Mar 15 with 850 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:19 - Mar 15 by Ryorry

Mmm, thanks, i think shelling out on new tablets or whatever + taking course in new tech might not be too popular tho! I'd been considering getting a new phone, not too happy with Samsung 2016 version, but pretty sure everyone else isn't on apple.

Can't you skype on any device with a net connection then?

You can with a webcam or built in camera.

Truly impaired.

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:33 - Mar 15 with 819 viewsjeera

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:27 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

Some are just plug and play aren't they.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:34 - Mar 15 with 815 viewsRyorry

Anyone else's elderly relatives dreading a long isolation? on 23:27 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

I think we might break the habits of 5 years & whip the tape off our webcams then

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024