Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This story is awful, but what I don't get 23:30 - Jul 5 with 3372 viewsBrixtonBlue

is why this chap was excluded from lectures by Swansea Uni just for having a relationship with a classmate. Half the fun of uni is about getting hold of someone isn't it?

I'm amazed nothing was made of it in the story, or am I missing something here?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44730807

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 23:49 - Jul 5 with 2944 viewsStokieBlue

From what I gather he posted something (text or photo) about it to his rugby mates, they leaked it and she found out.

Without knowing the contents of the message it's impossible to say I guess. Does seem very harsh but without the information we can't really form an opinion.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 00:01 - Jul 6 with 2913 viewsBrixtonBlue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 23:49 - Jul 5 by StokieBlue

From what I gather he posted something (text or photo) about it to his rugby mates, they leaked it and she found out.

Without knowing the contents of the message it's impossible to say I guess. Does seem very harsh but without the information we can't really form an opinion.

SB

Yeah, guess so. Still amazed the uni would get involved really.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 00:05 - Jul 6 with 2907 viewsfactual_blue

Is it to do with this 'safe place' malarkey that I don't really understand?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 01:06 - Jul 6 with 2842 viewsCotty

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 00:05 - Jul 6 by factual_blue

Is it to do with this 'safe place' malarkey that I don't really understand?

No, that's just nonsense stirred up by the right wing press because they don't like universities very much.
This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:02 - Jul 6 with 2634 viewsconnorscontract

Reading between the lines, the content of the message about his "brief relationship" with a fellow student was such that the university felt it appropriate to discipline him and/or keep him away from the other student.

He then felt unable to cope with the public shaming.

Jon Ronson wrote a really good book on the consequences of online shaming, "So you've been publicly shamed?" The speed with which these things can blow up and become all-consuming is part of what disorientates the individual, and the sense that because of the permanence of online records the individual will always be haunted by their one mistake.

Some people are able to ride it out easily (Trump should have crawled under a rock years ago at the thought of some of the things he has done) but they are narcissistic or sociopathic and impervious to shame. For those who are empathetic and caring I the sense of letting down others is too much for them to take.

Incredibly sad, such a waste of someone who was clearly a gifted and caring young man, but who couldn't cope with the consequences of his supposedly private banter becoming public.
This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:03 - Jul 6 with 2623 viewsfactual_blue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 01:06 - Jul 6 by Cotty

No, that's just nonsense stirred up by the right wing press because they don't like universities very much.

Fair enough. Those supporting right wing policies - here and more generally - never seem to be fond of (or indeed capable of) critical, dispassionate thinking.

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:06 - Jul 6 with 2607 viewslowhouseblue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 01:06 - Jul 6 by Cotty

it's not nonsense though. no platforming and seeking to exclude controversial voices are very live issues in universities. against that universities of course have a duty to uphold freedom of speech.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:06 - Jul 6 with 2598 viewsKeno

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:03 - Jul 6 by factual_blue

Fair enough. Those supporting right wing policies - here and more generally - never seem to be fond of (or indeed capable of) critical, dispassionate thinking.

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:11 - Jul 6 with 2587 viewsfactual_blue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:06 - Jul 6 by Keno

He's gone blond

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:11 - Jul 6 with 2582 viewslowhouseblue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:02 - Jul 6 by connorscontract

Reading between the lines, the content of the message about his "brief relationship" with a fellow student was such that the university felt it appropriate to discipline him and/or keep him away from the other student.

Jon Ronson wrote a really good book on the consequences of online shaming, "So you've been publicly shamed?" The speed with which these things can blow up and become all-consuming is part of what disorientates the individual, and the sense that because of the permanence of online records the individual will always be haunted by their one mistake.

Some people are able to ride it out easily (Trump should have crawled under a rock years ago at the thought of some of the things he has done) but they are narcissistic or sociopathic and impervious to shame. For those who are empathetic and caring I the sense of letting down others is too much for them to take.

Incredibly sad, such a waste of someone who was clearly a gifted and caring young man, but who couldn't cope with the consequences of his supposedly private banter becoming public.

we don't know the details and this is incredibly tragic. it may even have been that the university imposed restrictions while a complaint was being investigated. but some issues can generate group hysteria at the moment, and as you say online life and social media makes that reaction very much worse.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:14 - Jul 6 with 2576 viewsitfcjoe

That would be my reading of the situation - he's said stuff to his mates about her that is hugely embarrassed that has come out publicly andthen couldn't cope with thought that everyone knows what he said.

Incredibly sad, and Ronson's book is excellent in this - I always find the glee that people attack others with is sickening.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:23 - Jul 6 with 2537 viewsKeno

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:11 - Jul 6 by factual_blue

He's gone blond

boris Johnsons secret ........ brother?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:33 - Jul 6 with 2507 viewsconnorscontract

An aside:

Coroner's have an incredibly difficult job, but that reads like a very sensitive summing up to me.

The pressure they are under is so intense. I went with friends to support them at their daughter's inquest. She had fallen from her bike and been run over by a following driver, a young woman in her early 20's. Her sister was riding along behind and witnessed everything.

The family attached no blame to the driver (and the mum made a point of giving her a hug and telling her to move on with her life and enjoy it because that is what her daughter would wish for her- the most amazing thing I've ever seen) but every question the coroner put was potentially distressing, particularly when the sister was testifying, and she took real care to do it with sensitivity. I was really struck by how much pressure she was under and how one thoughtless turn of phrase could have had ongoing repercussions.

When they do the job badly they get, rightly, hammered, but rarely praised when they do it well.
This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:48 - Jul 6 with 2466 viewsBrixtonBlue

That's a good explanation, thanks. What on earth must his mates who shared it be thinking now?!
As you say, incredibly sad.

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 09:14 - Jul 6 with 2409 viewsfactual_blue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:23 - Jul 6 by Keno

boris Johnsons secret ........ brother?

Catamite?

(No - that isn't marmite made from felines)

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 10:40 - Jul 6 with 2306 viewswkj

There is more to this story that hasn't come out yet, a source of mine tells me he was one of the ones who pushed the Holy stone of Birmingham down the cliff.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 10:45 - Jul 6 with 2279 viewsSwansea_Blue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 08:48 - Jul 6 by BrixtonBlue

That's a good explanation, thanks. What on earth must his mates who shared it be thinking now?!
As you say, incredibly sad.

Rugby club 'prank' gone horribly wrong from what I've heard. Can't confirm whether or not the Uni did actually discipline him. I'd be surprised if they did.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:06 - Jul 6 with 2220 viewsBrixtonBlue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 10:40 - Jul 6 by wkj

There is more to this story that hasn't come out yet, a source of mine tells me he was one of the ones who pushed the Holy stone of Birmingham down the cliff.

Mate, a young man has committed suicide. Give it a rest.

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:10 - Jul 6 with 2204 viewschicoazul

Perhaps as the article says he ended his life as he felt the resulting social media outcry would harm his life chances? Remain anonymous friends. Big Brother is watching you; learn to be invisible.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:14 - Jul 6 with 2193 viewsDanFord

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 10:40 - Jul 6 by wkj

The irony of posting this sort of gossip, which could well be the exact same issue that he struggled with in the first place. The need for people on the internet to judge others, especially in this case because of something you either heard from someone second hand or just made up. I despair. To achieve what exactly?
[Post edited 6 Jul 2018 11:18]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:51 - Jul 6 with 2135 viewsBrixtonBlue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:14 - Jul 6 by DanFord

The irony of posting this sort of gossip, which could well be the exact same issue that he struggled with in the first place. The need for people on the internet to judge others, especially in this case because of something you either heard from someone second hand or just made up. I despair. To achieve what exactly?

He was doing a joke because I said prison was OTT for the kids who pushed that ancient stone over.

Still, pretty classless.

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:55 - Jul 6 with 2130 viewswkj

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:14 - Jul 6 by DanFord

All I can say is this, when a story without all the facts is posted onto the internet, the discussion being started opens the doors to abstract opinions and points of veiw. My crime is being blatantly abstract, though people have already insert serious assumptions in this post without knowing the facts.

So giving it a rest should be a blanket sentiment.

Crybaby

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:56 - Jul 6 with 2121 viewswkj

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:51 - Jul 6 by BrixtonBlue

He was doing a joke because I said prison was OTT for the kids who pushed that ancient stone over.

Still, pretty classless.

Classless, yes, but there are a few parallels between the two posts, the main one being a lost of assumptions about punishments or conduct being harsh or not are being made in the absence of all the facts. By that virtue, classlessness rests on more shoulders than my own.

Crybaby

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 12:01 - Jul 6 with 2106 viewsBrixtonBlue

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 11:56 - Jul 6 by wkj

Classless, yes, but there are a few parallels between the two posts, the main one being a lost of assumptions about punishments or conduct being harsh or not are being made in the absence of all the facts. By that virtue, classlessness rests on more shoulders than my own.

My OP asked if I was missing something, and people have informed me.

You made a joke about a young man who has committed suicide.

They are very different.

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 12:04 - Jul 6 with 2099 viewswkj

This story is awful, but what I don't get on 12:01 - Jul 6 by BrixtonBlue

My OP asked if I was missing something, and people have informed me.

You made a joke about a young man who has committed suicide.

They are very different.

I didn't make a joke about someone committing suicide, that is fundamentally against my nature, it was a poke at false facts being inserted into a discussion.

Source: What I was thinking in my head at the time.

Edit: In many ways it is no worse (or better) than using this as a platform to debate left wing / right wing sh1te, or Farage's hair colour
[Post edited 6 Jul 2018 12:06]

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024