Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate penalty preparation mind games 14:13 - Jul 4 with 5329 viewsLord_Lucan

Apart from the final winner none of our penalty takers celebrate their goals, apparently this is all part of the penalty tactics master plan and instructions from the brain shrinks. I also heard something about the keeper or A N Other handing our designated taker the ball in the same way prior to every kick. This is all part of the same same approach for every kick, noticeable that Henderson deviated and was playing keepy up before he took it.

I'm very impressed that England have taken on board an approach to penalties that I guess teams like Germany have done for years.

I cannot begin to describe how impressed I am with Gareth Southgate.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2018 14:19]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 14:31 - Jul 4 with 4646 viewsGeoffSentence

Have you bought a waistcoat yet?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 14:47 - Jul 4 with 4593 viewsBerlinBlue

The overall change in approach is very noticeable and like you I'm impressed with Gareth. Over the last years I've listened to Joachim Löw talk football a lot. He's really very impressive in eveything he says and does and his success is a reflection of that. When Southgate talks I hear a lot of Löw in him. So many people slated the FA for appointing him, but I reckon we're slowly seeing it was the right thing to do. Of course, he has a long way to go to emulate someone like Löw, however the signs are promising.
Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:10 - Jul 4 with 4542 viewsdavblue

Have to say i thought he was out of his depth when he got the job.

He obviously has an understanding of our failures and successes having been part of our best team in 96, which has helped him with this squad of players and he's a deep thinker of the game.

I still have reservations as to him being good enough to deliver a trophy but his work has been very impressive to date. The caveat is we haven't played a really top team yet and beaten them, that's the next step in a competitive game. The penalty issues we have had have been overcome and the experience the team will gleam from last night will be vital in their development.
Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:12 - Jul 4 with 4527 viewsStokieBlue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:10 - Jul 4 by davblue

He obviously has an understanding of our failures and successes having been part of our best team in 96, which has helped him with this squad of players and he's a deep thinker of the game.

I still have reservations as to him being good enough to deliver a trophy but his work has been very impressive to date. The caveat is we haven't played a really top team yet and beaten them, that's the next step in a competitive game. The penalty issues we have had have been overcome and the experience the team will gleam from last night will be vital in their development.

"I still have reservations as to him being good enough to deliver a trophy"

Isn't that more to do with the players not being good enough?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:13 - Jul 4 with 4523 viewsDanFord

I honestly believe that Southgate was the best man we could have appointed at the time and I think he knows it too because he continually dresses like a best man.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:15 - Jul 4 with 4516 viewsLord_Lucan

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:10 - Jul 4 by davblue

Blimey.

Talk about The Great British attitude.

You can only play what is up against you and you don't get to the last 16 of the WC by being mugs. Who is a top team in your opinion, Spain, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Argentina???

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:28 - Jul 4 with 4483 viewsdavblue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:15 - Jul 4 by Lord_Lucan

Blimey.

Talk about The Great British attitude.

You can only play what is up against you and you don't get to the last 16 of the WC by being mugs. Who is a top team in your opinion, Spain, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Argentina???

I think you have misunderstood the point i was making.

For their development and belief beating one of the really good sides with help them in the long term.
Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:28 - Jul 4 with 4477 viewsdavblue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:12 - Jul 4 by StokieBlue

"I still have reservations as to him being good enough to deliver a trophy"

Isn't that more to do with the players not being good enough?

SB

Nope, not sure he's quite good enough to tactically.

For the record i hope he proves me very wrong. We are in the quarters and we have a chance.

I think Martinez will cost Belgium tactically for example.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2018 15:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:45 - Jul 4 with 4415 viewsDyland

I've also been generally impressed by Southgate. However, the tactics post 75 odd minutes last night were McCarthyesque.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:14 - Jul 4 with 4305 viewsLord_Lucan

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:45 - Jul 4 by Dyland

I've also been generally impressed by Southgate. However, the tactics post 75 odd minutes last night were McCarthyesque.

I think they got the jitters.

Extra time + winning on penalties will have done them the world of good, psychologically it couldn't have happened in a better way.

It's coming home

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:39 - Jul 4 with 4256 viewsDanFord

I don't think Southgate did a lot wrong but I'd have taken Sterling off for Vardy or Rashford at about 70 minutes. It was obvious that Colombia would have to start to go for it and having blistering pace (Sterling is quite but was shattered) would have left them in two minds and pegged them back for a bit longer. I can see what he was trying to do with Dier. We were 1-0 up. He changed from 352 with a holding midfielder and two further forward to a 352 with two holding midfielders. But this then left Lingard on his own and left a big gap in the middle. But it created a solid 7 which Columbia couldn't get behind. The problem that then ensued was the wing backs tucking in to help midfield and Colombia rained in crosses. We were lucky a few times that Falcao wasn't at it. I think Southgate was a little too defensive but he's a rookie manager. I can see what he was trying to do but when Colombia shifted their formation a bit Southgate didn't respond and kept the shape for the personnel and not the opposition.

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:48 - Jul 4 with 4224 viewsGlasgowBlue

Can you imagine the meltdown on here had his name been in the frame for the Ipswich job a couple of years ago?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:50 - Jul 4 with 4215 viewsMullet

Exactly. We won.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:52 - Jul 4 with 4211 viewsKieran_Knows

Englands keeper coach also handed Pickford a different water bottle at the end of extra time which had scrawled on the back of it details of the Colombian's players, as well as their preferred side to hit penalties.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jordan-pickfords-penalty-saving-sec

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:52 - Jul 4 with 4205 viewsDanFord

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:48 - Jul 4 by GlasgowBlue

Can you imagine the meltdown on here had his name been in the frame for the Ipswich job a couple of years ago?

Would have been fine. Manage us for a bit. Go off and win the world cup with England. It's the known recipe for success.

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:55 - Jul 4 with 4189 viewsGlasgowBlue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:14 - Jul 4 by Lord_Lucan

I think they got the jitters.

Extra time + winning on penalties will have done them the world of good, psychologically it couldn't have happened in a better way.

It's coming home

I doubt he will make the same tactical substitution if we are one up against Sweden with 15 minutes to go.

Also, our game is about blowing the opposition out of the water in the first 35 minutes. After that we tire. So we need to turn that possession and pressure into goals.

That game was a big learning curve.

Iron Lion Zion

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:56 - Jul 4 with 4187 viewsSouperJim

I heard Shearer on 5live talking about David Batty's miss at France 98, he said he told Batty before the kick that if he had any doubt, hit hard down the middle. Batty said that is what he was going to do. After the miss, Shearer asked him why he took it differently and Batty said that he just changed his mind as he walked up.

Blows my mind that for years we so evidently had such a disorganised approach, even the great Sir Bob asking who wanted to take one etc. Seems so obvious to me that you should have a plan, it should be practiced, you should know how you're going to take your penalty beforehand etc. No wonder we've never won a shootout at a world cup before.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:59 - Jul 4 with 4164 viewsMullet

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:55 - Jul 4 by GlasgowBlue

I doubt he will make the same tactical substitution if we are one up against Sweden with 15 minutes to go.

Also, our game is about blowing the opposition out of the water in the first 35 minutes. After that we tire. So we need to turn that possession and pressure into goals.

That game was a big learning curve.

I thought it was the wrong game for Sterling once it was clear the Colombians knew they literally had to sit on him once he ran into blind alleys.

RLC was the one I couldn't fathom. He'd have never got caught up in their games and been a real outlet as well as protecting Walker from himself a bit better.

Ashley Young really impressed me. Quietly effective in cutting off Cuadrado and the supply to Falcao. Just a shame he couldn't do more going forward as well.

This is probably a relatively weak and young group of players but they're much more of a team than many England sides.

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 17:12 - Jul 4 with 4105 viewsGlasgowBlue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:59 - Jul 4 by Mullet

I thought it was the wrong game for Sterling once it was clear the Colombians knew they literally had to sit on him once he ran into blind alleys.

RLC was the one I couldn't fathom. He'd have never got caught up in their games and been a real outlet as well as protecting Walker from himself a bit better.

Ashley Young really impressed me. Quietly effective in cutting off Cuadrado and the supply to Falcao. Just a shame he couldn't do more going forward as well.

This is probably a relatively weak and young group of players but they're much more of a team than many England sides.

This WC was supposed to be about a young team gaining experience fir 2022. The way the group has fallen has slightly changed that. But regardless, I think we have 4 years to find a Gazza type figure who can win a game from midfield with a little bit if magic. That’s the one type of player we lack.

Iron Lion Zion

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 17:52 - Jul 4 with 4006 viewsconnorscontract

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 17:12 - Jul 4 by GlasgowBlue

This WC was supposed to be about a young team gaining experience fir 2022. The way the group has fallen has slightly changed that. But regardless, I think we have 4 years to find a Gazza type figure who can win a game from midfield with a little bit if magic. That’s the one type of player we lack.

It should have been Oxlade-Chamberlain. His link up play with Salah this year was exceptional.
Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 18:15 - Jul 4 with 3954 viewsmanchego

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 15:28 - Jul 4 by davblue

Nope, not sure he's quite good enough to tactically.

For the record i hope he proves me very wrong. We are in the quarters and we have a chance.

I think Martinez will cost Belgium tactically for example.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2018 15:33]

you mean the guy who now has our defenders passing out of defence, looking for the pass, everyone wanting the ball, playing into midfielders who want the ball, who play sideways when they need to and forward when they want to.

that guy.

please tell me the last time England played like that.
Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 18:38 - Jul 4 with 3897 viewspowinswitch

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 16:50 - Jul 4 by Mullet

Exactly. We won.

McCarthy never won knock out games.
Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 18:51 - Jul 4 with 3862 viewsMullet

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 18:38 - Jul 4 by powinswitch

McCarthy never won knock out games.

Given I was at one, I think you may want to check that.

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 19:03 - Jul 4 with 3831 viewsGlasgowBlue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 17:52 - Jul 4 by connorscontract

It should have been Oxlade-Chamberlain. His link up play with Salah this year was exceptional.

Good call.

On Saturday we need at least two out of Lingard, Ali and Sterling to turn it on.

Also noticeable from last night is that we may have dominated set pieces in the group stages but their number 5 was winning most things in the air from corners and free kicks. Stones and McGuire need to do better on Saturday.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2018 20:36]

Iron Lion Zion

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 20:28 - Jul 4 with 3718 viewsdavblue

Southgate penalty preparation mind games on 18:15 - Jul 4 by manchego

you mean the guy who now has our defenders passing out of defence, looking for the pass, everyone wanting the ball, playing into midfielders who want the ball, who play sideways when they need to and forward when they want to.

that guy.

please tell me the last time England played like that.

A style of play and tactical nous a very different things.

The style has been good, I’ve not disputed that. Although we have scored 2 goals from open play so far and tbh we didn’t really pepper Colombia’s goal but it was decent performance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024