Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know 09:54 - Jan 9 with 16574 viewsFinidiCentenary

I was thinking about this late last night and the thought occurred to me that nobody has actively pursued Mick during his tenure here.

There seems to be a feeling that in the Summer Mick will depart either through his own choice or Evans will thank him and move on but it made me think about what is next for McCarthy if this happens.

We know only too well that the narrative from outside the club that Mick has done absolute wonders with the limited resources that he has, has an element of truth to it, but that also the level of gratitude we are supposed to continue to show Mick differs from what we feel he's justified over the last few seasons.

Mick's been here over 5 years. During that time there has not been a single approach for him from another club. There's been the odd rumour here and there but nobody has ever come in for him.

We know Mick is on a decent salary for this level. His salary for this division is certainly better than the players salary for this level or the quality of player we have for this level. So in reality where does Mick go from here.

Those that sing his praises from outside are plentiful but no Premier League club has turned to him in their hour of need and I simply cannot see he has any prospect of any job there.

Any club towards the bottom end of this division is ultimately going to pay no more than McCarthy is currently on here, but with the likeliness of a much greater chance of a chairman or owner who won't give him half the time Evans has to do his job.

Is Mick really who you would turn to at the top end of the Championship? His promotions are now a mile off when you consider managers the other managers regularly knocking about out of work that have been in the lower part of the Premier League or won promotion from this division more recently.

If I was McCarthy and I was intent on continuing to work and maximise my earning potential, I cannot see any other jobs that I would be likely to get better paid or more comfortable than where he currently is.

If Mick takes a punt and sits around waiting for the phone to ring, I'm not sure a bigger club than us would come calling you know, despite what a reasonable job he's done. More and more of the clubs above us have been up in the Premier League, have had parachute money or have foreign owners and I think many would appoint a sexier alternative to what they may see as a stubborn, forthright, Yorkshireman, who's achieved in reality very little this decade, if they are even aware of his achievements.

Wolves, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Sunderland could all have turned to Mick over the last few seasons and he was never in the frame for any of them. I just don't see why he'd leave other than the stress of it being too much, but I think Mick is very thick skinned and is unlikely to be swayed by the current, still very timid, levels of animosity that should be worse given the last two years of dross and contempt for the fans.

This animosity is still so heavily diluted by that playoff season, which almost entirely came down to Daryl Murphy having a dream season and underpinned by the fear that with another, less streetwise manager, we'd be relegated with this budget.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 9:58]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:12 - Jan 9 with 10969 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mick may have no say in the matter. His contract will run out, at which point his current salary is irrelevant.

...and the biggest point will be that there will be no pay off required.

It will be a case of 'thankyou and goodbye'. No hard feelings.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:19 - Jan 9 with 10945 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I think you answer your own question in a way.. The large salary we pay him is the reason that no one has walked into ME's office and lumped a load of money on his desk to prise MM off us

Without that initial financial barrier I would expect that probably up 60% of the clubs in this league would seriously consider him if they were found wanting a new manager. He may be on big wages, but that isn't a constant and I think the fact ME was always likely to want a big upfront payment for Mick is the reason no one actively pursued him.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:22 - Jan 9 with 10931 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:12 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Mick may have no say in the matter. His contract will run out, at which point his current salary is irrelevant.

...and the biggest point will be that there will be no pay off required.

It will be a case of 'thankyou and goodbye'. No hard feelings.

Only if Evans pulls the trigger.

If Evans is looking to sell the club, he won't be putting loads more money into it. So who better than Mick to keep us steady in the interim and away from danger? Mick is asked to stay.

If Evans is looking to keep the club on the current budget, would he really trust a lower league manager or young manager to come in and outperform the experienced McCarthy, who has kept his job for 5 years so is clearly rated highly by Evans? I can't see it. His three appointments have been managers who have won promotion from this division. If you're going after one of those, then surely it's replacing Mick with another Mick? Mick may as well be asked to stay.

If Evans is looking to keep the club and increase the budget, this first seems unlikely as he didn't back Mick when we were in / after the playoff season. But if he was going to back anyone would it not be Mick, how well Evans believes Mick has done with little to work with?

What scenario is there where Evans gets rid? Only to stop another 2,000 fans leaving, but that million quid a year lost could be less than what Evans would have to give another manager to get to where he feels Mick could - a small chance of a run at the playoffs.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:23 - Jan 9 with 10922 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:19 - Jan 9 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I think you answer your own question in a way.. The large salary we pay him is the reason that no one has walked into ME's office and lumped a load of money on his desk to prise MM off us

Without that initial financial barrier I would expect that probably up 60% of the clubs in this league would seriously consider him if they were found wanting a new manager. He may be on big wages, but that isn't a constant and I think the fact ME was always likely to want a big upfront payment for Mick is the reason no one actively pursued him.

But would other clubs take McCarthy on this wage?

If not, then McCarthy may as well hang around if he can get another year or two. He's likely to, at absolute best, go to another club in this division, on the same wage, but with a fair more impatient owner and fan base.

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:30 - Jan 9 with 10881 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:23 - Jan 9 by FinidiCentenary

If not, then McCarthy may as well hang around if he can get another year or two. He's likely to, at absolute best, go to another club in this division, on the same wage, but with a fair more impatient owner and fan base.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mick joined another club on a less lucrative wage to be honest.. He isn't the type to worry too much about his salary (so long as it's competitive) and would consider getting back into the Prem higher than a few extra quid of that I'm absolutely sure.

He's also perhaps thinking he has one (maybe two) more jobs left in him and if he's given a competitive budget at a middling championship club like Forest et al, he would have a fair chance of making a good fist of getting back into the Premier League. More so than he would staying here anyway.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:34 - Jan 9 with 10874 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:22 - Jan 9 by FinidiCentenary

Only if Evans pulls the trigger.

If Evans is looking to sell the club, he won't be putting loads more money into it. So who better than Mick to keep us steady in the interim and away from danger? Mick is asked to stay.

If Evans is looking to keep the club on the current budget, would he really trust a lower league manager or young manager to come in and outperform the experienced McCarthy, who has kept his job for 5 years so is clearly rated highly by Evans? I can't see it. His three appointments have been managers who have won promotion from this division. If you're going after one of those, then surely it's replacing Mick with another Mick? Mick may as well be asked to stay.

If Evans is looking to keep the club and increase the budget, this first seems unlikely as he didn't back Mick when we were in / after the playoff season. But if he was going to back anyone would it not be Mick, how well Evans believes Mick has done with little to work with?

What scenario is there where Evans gets rid? Only to stop another 2,000 fans leaving, but that million quid a year lost could be less than what Evans would have to give another manager to get to where he feels Mick could - a small chance of a run at the playoffs.

Not renewing a contract is not so much pulling a trigger as just saying goodbye.

And of course, we don't yet know if Mick would be seen as a safe pair of hands by a potential purchaser. We are currently very close to the bottom of the form table.

With Mick in charge there is likely to be another drop in season ticket sales.

I'm not a Mick outer, but I am also not so sure that a potential purchaser would view Mick as an asset.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:36 - Jan 9 with 10868 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Whether clubs would match his wage is not relevant.

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:37 - Jan 9 with 10862 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:36 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Whether clubs would match his wage is not relevant.

It is if Evans is willing to give him a new contract based on the three scenarios I have posted above.

Login to get fewer ads

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:39 - Jan 9 with 10854 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:37 - Jan 9 by FinidiCentenary

It is if Evans is willing to give him a new contract based on the three scenarios I have posted above.

Well if they wouldn't pay his current wage, why should we? As of June his salary is a big fat zero.

We could go round in circles all day discussing potential scenarios.

It's best for all parties if he leaves.

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:44 - Jan 9 with 10841 viewsGeoffSentence

Listening to him speak, listening to him keep having subtle pops at the fans when there is no need to, seeing his general demeanour at games and conferences, I think he has had enough and will be delighted to leave at the end of the season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:45 - Jan 9 with 10834 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:44 - Jan 9 by GeoffSentence

Listening to him speak, listening to him keep having subtle pops at the fans when there is no need to, seeing his general demeanour at games and conferences, I think he has had enough and will be delighted to leave at the end of the season.

Best for all parties.

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 12:02 - Jan 9 with 10715 viewsCurrie10

As soon as Mick started saying it would be Evans, not him re Bart / McGoldrick I thought ' he's had enough right now, no chance he's getting stitched up for the third season running '.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 13:02 - Jan 9 with 10551 viewsrickw

Mick wants promotion to Prem and won't get that under ME's budget so he wants to leave.

ME now appreciates the fans want MM gone due to our falling attendances, so he too wants Mick to leave in his hope the attendances will start rising again afterwards.

So in short nobody wants Mick to be here next season, so unless we get promoted - he won't be!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 14:16 - Jan 9 with 10421 viewsNo9

After 5 years with no success (even the play-off slot was gifted) & a mixed bag of injuries in the squad it's time for a change.
His record in football management isn't that goo & his main objective since he arrived at PR has been not to get beaten rather than give us some hope that there is a team that can play football lurking somewhere in the hall of Ipswich Town.
The Owner must know MM has burnt his bridges with the fans and revenue is going to decrease unless things are changed. He will surely be advise that MM isn't the person to bring about those changes.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 14:46 - Jan 9 with 10369 viewslongtimefan

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 14:16 - Jan 9 by No9

After 5 years with no success (even the play-off slot was gifted) & a mixed bag of injuries in the squad it's time for a change.
His record in football management isn't that goo & his main objective since he arrived at PR has been not to get beaten rather than give us some hope that there is a team that can play football lurking somewhere in the hall of Ipswich Town.
The Owner must know MM has burnt his bridges with the fans and revenue is going to decrease unless things are changed. He will surely be advise that MM isn't the person to bring about those changes.

THe playoff slot was gifted! What utter tosh. We got the sixth highest points total in the division and that’s all there is too it.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 14:46 - Jan 9 with 10369 viewsitfcjoe

It doesn't really suit any part for Mick to be here next season, and I can't imagine for one second he will stay.

Mick - thinks he gets unfair stick for the job he has done under tight financial constraints, and the stick from fans has clearly hurt him as he can't help himself having a go back

Fans - a big enough proportion of the fan base are basically in a position where they don't care who the manager is unless it isn't Mick

Evans - Can't risk alienating fan base further, knows he needs a change

And whilst no-one has come in for Mick publicly ti's hard to know. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have an agent and represents himself, and is a loyal bloke to Evans - so he isn't going to have someone doing his bidding in the media and linking him with jobs. I think it has been established that there is a significant buy out to get Mick out of his contract also.

A lot of Championship clubs would take him on if he was available - he's spent 5 years here on a tiny budget with no money for fees punching above his weight. A lot of chairman don't worry about the style of football if results are being achieved. If he can get in at a club with parachute payments, or an owner willing to throw more cash at it then not many would bet against him.

Remember when everyone in football outside of the club says how good a job he's doing, that those voices hold more weight than a moaning fan base.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 15:22 - Jan 9 with 10317 viewsDebenBlue

Word on the grapevine is that ME has approached MM about extending his contract, but MM has told ME he wants to leave in the summer, and I expect MM to be here at least until we are mathematically safe.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 15:34 - Jan 9 with 10292 viewsBinner

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 13:02 - Jan 9 by rickw

Mick wants promotion to Prem and won't get that under ME's budget so he wants to leave.

ME now appreciates the fans want MM gone due to our falling attendances, so he too wants Mick to leave in his hope the attendances will start rising again afterwards.

So in short nobody wants Mick to be here next season, so unless we get promoted - he won't be!

"Nobody wants him here next season" - not true...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know (n/t) on 18:37 - Jan 9 with 10156 viewsWestSussexBlue

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 10:44 - Jan 9 by GeoffSentence

I’m more of the opinion he’s a brazen stubborn and slightly arrogant Yorkshire man who’ll go when he’s ready, ME doesn’t appear to be making any plans for June onwards so I think he may take another short deal, I.e a one year deal.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 18:42]
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 18:53 - Jan 9 with 10123 viewsbluejacko

IF he was to stay it would be disastrous for a good many season tkt holders! The attendance figures are well down as it is. Many who sit around me including myself would not renew with the knock on effect of other family members not attending as well.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 19:27 - Jan 9 with 10080 viewscarlisleaway

Listening to the England cricket coach earlier, he is departing in 2019 and said no manager or coach should hang around after 5 years. A new manager would bring in new ideas and reunite the fans.
I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 20:16 - Jan 9 with 10009 viewsazuremerlangus

Another scenario:

Mick gets offered the extension, probably on less money but with the promise of better investment.

He can be trusted to spend it wisely and the extra spending will appease the fans.

Not likely to happen but you never know.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 20:20 - Jan 9 with 9989 viewsTractorWood

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 14:46 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

It doesn't really suit any part for Mick to be here next season, and I can't imagine for one second he will stay.

Mick - thinks he gets unfair stick for the job he has done under tight financial constraints, and the stick from fans has clearly hurt him as he can't help himself having a go back

Fans - a big enough proportion of the fan base are basically in a position where they don't care who the manager is unless it isn't Mick

Evans - Can't risk alienating fan base further, knows he needs a change

And whilst no-one has come in for Mick publicly ti's hard to know. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have an agent and represents himself, and is a loyal bloke to Evans - so he isn't going to have someone doing his bidding in the media and linking him with jobs. I think it has been established that there is a significant buy out to get Mick out of his contract also.

A lot of Championship clubs would take him on if he was available - he's spent 5 years here on a tiny budget with no money for fees punching above his weight. A lot of chairman don't worry about the style of football if results are being achieved. If he can get in at a club with parachute payments, or an owner willing to throw more cash at it then not many would bet against him.

Remember when everyone in football outside of the club says how good a job he's doing, that those voices hold more weight than a moaning fan base.

I agree wholeheartedly but all of your points were broadly the same at the end of last season and nothing was done. Not much has changed other than more months have gone by whittling down any compensation. He will probably go at the end of the season but if he had another year, I'd bet he would stay. So the actual pervasive reason is he's out of contract.

I think a Prem club in dire straits or a Championship team who want results for no money may came in for him but I'd be surprised if a big new money club would want him at the helm. I don't think he's the right character for a strategic change of direction post money. If you want £10k youngsters and players 3 years past their sell by date to stodge out smash and grabs at Pride Park, he's your man.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 20:32]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 20:38 - Jan 9 with 9946 viewsMullet

Fulham enquired about him around his peak, then obviously went in this current direction IIRC.

Let alone the ones that never get linked. The idea that teams wouldn't love to take on Mick is a fantasy I'm afraid.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 21:32 - Jan 9 with 9868 viewsKeaneish

I'm not so sure Mick will go you know on 20:38 - Jan 9 by Mullet

Fulham enquired about him around his peak, then obviously went in this current direction IIRC.

Let alone the ones that never get linked. The idea that teams wouldn't love to take on Mick is a fantasy I'm afraid.

We haven't agreed on anything for a while but i agree with you on this. Plenty of teams will want to take Mick when he leaves this summer and rightly so as his football will serve a purpose to many cubs as it did us when we steered us away from the relegation zone. Pullis, Martin O'Neill are other examples of managers who will always find work because they create hard to beat teams. Sadly that comes at a cost though.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024