Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... 12:17 - Feb 6 with 2761 viewsKieran_Knows

... few words from Saturday from EADT.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich_town_managing_director_ian_milne_says_it_s_n

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:28 - Feb 6 with 2195 viewsWD19

So he has promised to turn it around, but its Micks job to do it with all arms and legs tied behind his back.

Thanks for that Ian......
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:29 - Feb 6 with 2180 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I just cant see us getting promoted at all to be honest, ever.

I'm not even laying the blame with Mick or ME, its just the way football finances have gone.

I would like to see us try to play attractive football though.

The Jan transfer window is a crap place to do business, I hope we can make some Webster / Ward type signings in the summer. Maybe make a couple of the recent loans permanent if they work out.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:30 - Feb 6 with 2161 viewsKieran_Knows

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:28 - Feb 6 by WD19

So he has promised to turn it around, but its Micks job to do it with all arms and legs tied behind his back.

Thanks for that Ian......

That bit did make me chuckle....!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:57 - Feb 6 with 2059 viewskizaitfc

The fact we have an MD and an owner who have not got a clue is very worrying

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:01 - Feb 6 with 2033 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:57 - Feb 6 by kizaitfc

Ive read this a few thousand times to see if I can make sense of it;

"I think most people think, on paper, that should be a good squad and should be up in the top six or close to it."

Does he mean;

a. In the context of our £12m wage bill.
b. No caveats, purely looking at our squad strength.

or

c. something else?

Just seems to be on another planet.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:05 - Feb 6 with 1991 viewsSWGF

I enojoyed the MD's appraisal of Andre Dozzell.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:10 - Feb 6 with 1961 viewsReuser_is_God

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:05 - Feb 6 by SWGF

I enojoyed the MD's appraisal of Andre Dozzell.

Bless 'im.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:11 - Feb 6 with 1956 viewstractorboy1978

What is 'making it work'? Considering he's 'promised' it I am keen to know what he thinks he has committed himself to.

Challenging for the top 6? Being in the top 6? Going up? Or pleasing the fans enough that they get off his/owner's back for a bit?
Login to get fewer ads

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:33 - Feb 6 with 1875 viewsGlasgowBlue

Same old same old.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:48 - Feb 6 with 1821 viewsPhilTWTD

Ahem... from Life's a Pitch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/p04ps27c
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 13:53 - Feb 6 with 1787 viewsrickw

"The board has backed Mick McCarthy" if he honestly believes that then we're in trouble!!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:02 - Feb 6 with 1748 viewsLeoMuff

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 12:57 - Feb 6 by kizaitfc

They seem to have very much a clue, he clearly is stating that even middling championship players are too rich for Marcus now, and we will have to buy cheap and sell high.

Anyone who manages us will need to work a miracle.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:08 - Feb 6 with 1719 viewshype313

He's the Mark Fish of MD's.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:16 - Feb 6 with 1688 viewskizaitfc

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:02 - Feb 6 by LeoMuff

They seem to have very much a clue, he clearly is stating that even middling championship players are too rich for Marcus now, and we will have to buy cheap and sell high.

Anyone who manages us will need to work a miracle.

Well you've contradicted your own post, stating they have a clue then saying a manger needs a miracle

Milne states we have a team that should be in and around the playoffs, and that ME has invested plenty into this team

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:20 - Feb 6 with 1670 viewsLankHenners

I don't condone people (on Twitter etc. mainly) calling him a cnt, telling him to "fck off" etc. but he certainly seems out of his depth at this time. I always thought he spoke very well and had a sensible head on, but it appears to be that it was much easier to come across that way when things were going well, the fans were happy and there was little he could have said to upset anyone.

Now, when things aren't so great, he comes across a bit clueless. He's gone from "as long as I'm here, Mick'll be here" to 'Mick's job to sort it out' in the space of a few months!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:31 - Feb 6 with 1627 viewschicoazul

"We’ve got to rebuild the squad and reduce those Murphys and McGoldricks and what have you for the future"

I dont really understand this. Is he saying that the club have to get the wage bill down to match ticket income?

EDIT: he also say its a "huge squad" which in terms of numbers it is. Thats an interesting point for him to make.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 14:32]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:34 - Feb 6 with 1604 viewsPJH

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:31 - Feb 6 by chicoazul

"We’ve got to rebuild the squad and reduce those Murphys and McGoldricks and what have you for the future"

I dont really understand this. Is he saying that the club have to get the wage bill down to match ticket income?

EDIT: he also say its a "huge squad" which in terms of numbers it is. Thats an interesting point for him to make.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 14:32]

I did not understand that either,unless 'reduce' is an EADT typo.(reproduce perhaps).
I have not listened to the radio chat so I don't know if the quote is accurate.
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:38 - Feb 6 with 1560 viewsWBBlue18

"Huge squad"?

Mick said last summer "with no emergency loans I will need more players".
At the end of the August transfer window = 6 FEWER professional playing staff that at the end of 2015-16.
At the end of Jan 2017 window, signed 7 players, released 1 player = net 6 MORE players.
Overall as at Feb 2017 = same number as 2015-16. And that's without the emergency loans being available, that Mick has already said everybody in the FL had to increase squad depth to cover (except ITFC it seems).

"We invested £1m...". Compared to what? We must have saved a fair whack to date this season by running with 6 fewer players than last year - one of which was amongst the highest earners. And that's ignoring the fact that the percentage of players under 21 has increased as the number of youths added to the professional staff outnumbered additions at a higher age group last summer (not that is is necessarily a bad thing, but it is a saving in salaries).

Also mentioned was the fees and salaries for Lawrence and Williams. It was reported at the time we didn't pay for Williams whilst he was injured, so that's 3 months off the table for the original injury. As to whether this arrangement stands for new injuries is unclear (probably not).

Do these guys think we are unable to do the math or have zero memory? How gullible do they think we are?
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:57 - Feb 6 with 1494 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

just doing some maths

6.5 million in ticket revenue
plus
the "6 million" that ME puts into the club
that makes 12.5 million which is the wage bill as stated by Milne.

so where has the 3 million from murphs gone? either are wage bill is 15.5 million and Milne has got it wrong or ME doesn't put in 6 million and its 3 million.

or perhaps the 3 million has just fallen behind the filing cabinet in ME's office!
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 15:34 - Feb 6 with 1383 viewsFrimleyBlue

Look at that squad. We have no doubt it can turn things around.

Hang on Milnes. You just said. You and evans dont get involved its Mick and Bowmen who look at players. So dont get on your high horse and say you have an understanding of the quality of the squad. You dont.

Youve taken the names of players from a desperate manager who needs to improve the squad with feck all support to do so. You have no idea who these players are let alone how good the squad is.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 15:41 - Feb 6 with 1355 viewsGuthrum

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:57 - Feb 6 by Guru_of_Ipswich

just doing some maths

plus

so where has the 3 million from murphs gone? either are wage bill is 15.5 million and Milne has got it wrong or ME doesn't put in 6 million and its 3 million.

or perhaps the 3 million has just fallen behind the filing cabinet in ME's office!

The rest of the running costs of the club, including the Academy and non-playing/coaching staff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 15:54 - Feb 6 with 1310 viewsWBBlue18

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 15:41 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

The rest of the running costs of the club, including the Academy and non-playing/coaching staff.

Ignoring the transfer revenue, the "loss" of £6m per season is actually less than that over the last 3 years as we ran one year at a profit because of the timing of the sale of Cresswell and Mings (oops - c**k up there by the accountants as the timing was close - but no cigar). Therefore the average loss for the last 3 seasons is £4m. Given that the losses will offset taxable profit elsewhere within the UK of circa 20%, the figure is reduced. Add in the headline sponsorship at circa £1.5m under the going rate (we are back at Greene king levels), then the current rate of subsidy by ME is probably around £2m tops. That puts us right at the bottom of the Championship table as far as investment is concerned. So whatever spin is put on it by the likes of Milne, we are being run on the same financial footing as the top 4 or 5 teams in league one but trying to compete in the division above...
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 15:56]
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 16:01 - Feb 6 with 1272 viewshochiblue

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 15:54 - Feb 6 by WBBlue18

Ignoring the transfer revenue, the "loss" of £6m per season is actually less than that over the last 3 years as we ran one year at a profit because of the timing of the sale of Cresswell and Mings (oops - c**k up there by the accountants as the timing was close - but no cigar). Therefore the average loss for the last 3 seasons is £4m. Given that the losses will offset taxable profit elsewhere within the UK of circa 20%, the figure is reduced. Add in the headline sponsorship at circa £1.5m under the going rate (we are back at Greene king levels), then the current rate of subsidy by ME is probably around £2m tops. That puts us right at the bottom of the Championship table as far as investment is concerned. So whatever spin is put on it by the likes of Milne, we are being run on the same financial footing as the top 4 or 5 teams in league one but trying to compete in the division above...
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 15:56]

Interesting to know how much rent ITFC have to pay for the training ground and facilities, and if its a market based rent. Supposing that it was transferred out of ITFC at a then market value.
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 16:02 - Feb 6 with 1268 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 15:41 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

when talking about wage bill I would say all coaching and non playing members of staff is included.

Plus what about revenue made from planet blue? catering?

I must praise the club from getting the 'other costs' down from 8 million when mings was sold to only the 3 million when murphs was sold!

I'm grateful for whatever ME puts in, but I would rather be given the truth rather than some PR bull that doesn't even add up.
Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 16:03 - Feb 6 with 1261 viewsPhilTWTD

Milne say's its up to Mick to 'make it work'.... on 14:57 - Feb 6 by Guru_of_Ipswich

just doing some maths

plus

Player wage bill is c£12m, overall wage bill for last year was £16.5m.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024