Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship sides 17:05 - May 11 with 3199 viewscressi

Last year's top 3 are relegated, Burnley lack of a plan B zero tactics, Sheffield United a muddle from day one sold decent players took to long to bring additions in.
And lastly Luton made a effort but never brought enough quality in and effort only gets you so far can we be better and more successful next season ? .
Championship sides on 17:27 - May 11 with 2775 viewsAndroyd

If the Town don’t get 2 proven Prem CB’s as a bare minimum then we will exceed Sheffield Uniteds s
Abject total of goals conceded. Chaplin Broadhead Leif Davies may prove able to step up to the required level but the pace of the Prem is so much higher than needed in the Championship. Talk of Nketiah is the right idea but without a secure base the Town have no chance next season. Robson got Alan Hunter and was able to develop Kevin Beattie and then Terry Butcher and Russell Osman. Mick Mills was a solid defender and Paul Cooper was an astute addition. I see no one in the current defence coming close to that standard and an inability to keep clean sheets will mean a season of misery. Double promotion is a fantastic achievement but means there hasn’t been a natural development of quality. McKenna will certainly get the best out of what players he has but he basically has a Champioship level squad. Minimum of 6 signings/loans needed. It may be the club take the attitude that we’ve over achieved and accept we are likely to get relegated but build quality slowly with a view to get promoted again in 25/26. WBA did this successfully a while ago and were able to survive for several seasons. The Towns recruitment process will be tested in a way it hasn’t for many years. Brighton and Brentford need to be the models followed but both those had much better defenders than the Town currently have.
Championship sides on 17:39 - May 11 with 2663 viewscbower

Championship sides on 17:27 - May 11 by Androyd

If the Town don’t get 2 proven Prem CB’s as a bare minimum then we will exceed Sheffield Uniteds s
Abject total of goals conceded. Chaplin Broadhead Leif Davies may prove able to step up to the required level but the pace of the Prem is so much higher than needed in the Championship. Talk of Nketiah is the right idea but without a secure base the Town have no chance next season. Robson got Alan Hunter and was able to develop Kevin Beattie and then Terry Butcher and Russell Osman. Mick Mills was a solid defender and Paul Cooper was an astute addition. I see no one in the current defence coming close to that standard and an inability to keep clean sheets will mean a season of misery. Double promotion is a fantastic achievement but means there hasn’t been a natural development of quality. McKenna will certainly get the best out of what players he has but he basically has a Champioship level squad. Minimum of 6 signings/loans needed. It may be the club take the attitude that we’ve over achieved and accept we are likely to get relegated but build quality slowly with a view to get promoted again in 25/26. WBA did this successfully a while ago and were able to survive for several seasons. The Towns recruitment process will be tested in a way it hasn’t for many years. Brighton and Brentford need to be the models followed but both those had much better defenders than the Town currently have.

I'm not sure I agree on the need for 2 new Centre Backs. One maybe but we will, imho, more likely see somec formation changes that make us more defensive and less open. 532 / 352 or 4321 maybe. Can’t see us playing all the time with three attacking
players behind one striker and only 2 midfielders and Davis bombing on. We'll need more legs in midfield for sure.

bluescouser

Championship sides on 17:44 - May 11 with 2631 viewspointofblue

Hi Don.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Championship sides on 18:46 - May 11 with 2431 viewsChurchman

Your picture of the past isn’t really how it was and your assumptions don’t look right. ‘But means there hasn’t been a natural development of quality’. That adheres to the Leeds, Leicester and Norwich assumption that there was no quality in the first place.

This team has piled up 96 points. Earned. Won. No luck, no favours. It’s broken record after record. It’s scored over 90 goals and ripped teams, especially in the last 20 mins, to bits.

We don’t talk about the drawn West Brom home game. They were excellent, yet the last 20 mins we went at them like Rocky in the last round. Everyone stood for the last 10 mins. It was then I truly realised there was more to this lot than a ‘League One’ team or whatever derogatory term people like to apply.

Is it a Championship level squad? Well I heard it was a League One squad. Leeds (£80m forward line) and Saints found out different. Leicester fans kept posting ‘who are those guys?’ (Butch Cassidy clip). They know now.

We are a better team than I thought we were and many people think we are now. The recruitment team? They’re going to be busy, but the one thing the ownership has done is bring in top people. Look at recruitment to date, injury recovery, squad management you name it. There’s an awful lot in place including a first class pitch that we know best how to play on..

The squad doesn’t need replacing. It needs reinforcing and supplementing. We don’t need anybody’s model. We just need to follow our way of doing things that for two years has proved outstanding.

No fear, hit it head on. I believe we will do a lot better than Burnley and will shock a few people. I hope we are underestimated. Treated as minnows (Leicester supporter), run out of steam. Nothings. It can only help us.
Championship sides on 18:54 - May 11 with 2385 viewsHipsterectomy

Championship sides on 18:46 - May 11 by Churchman

Your picture of the past isn’t really how it was and your assumptions don’t look right. ‘But means there hasn’t been a natural development of quality’. That adheres to the Leeds, Leicester and Norwich assumption that there was no quality in the first place.

This team has piled up 96 points. Earned. Won. No luck, no favours. It’s broken record after record. It’s scored over 90 goals and ripped teams, especially in the last 20 mins, to bits.

We don’t talk about the drawn West Brom home game. They were excellent, yet the last 20 mins we went at them like Rocky in the last round. Everyone stood for the last 10 mins. It was then I truly realised there was more to this lot than a ‘League One’ team or whatever derogatory term people like to apply.

Is it a Championship level squad? Well I heard it was a League One squad. Leeds (£80m forward line) and Saints found out different. Leicester fans kept posting ‘who are those guys?’ (Butch Cassidy clip). They know now.

We are a better team than I thought we were and many people think we are now. The recruitment team? They’re going to be busy, but the one thing the ownership has done is bring in top people. Look at recruitment to date, injury recovery, squad management you name it. There’s an awful lot in place including a first class pitch that we know best how to play on..

The squad doesn’t need replacing. It needs reinforcing and supplementing. We don’t need anybody’s model. We just need to follow our way of doing things that for two years has proved outstanding.

No fear, hit it head on. I believe we will do a lot better than Burnley and will shock a few people. I hope we are underestimated. Treated as minnows (Leicester supporter), run out of steam. Nothings. It can only help us.

Damn good post. One of the best I've ever read on here

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Championship sides on 18:55 - May 11 with 2374 viewsMK1

Yes.
Championship sides on 18:58 - May 11 with 2361 viewsipswichtillidie

We will sign 7-10 players minimum. That sounds like an overhaul but when you take into account, all the loan players who aren’t ours plus all the players that will get let go you’ll reach that number pretty quick’s. Plus players like Walton who won’t stay to make up the numbers. Others in the ilk of Ball, Jackson, Harness, Aluko (retired) will probably move on. Sarmiento/Hutch/Moore/Travis may return but no guarantees. Then you have Players that are younger that we may now look to loan out and replace in the squad given we have stepped up a level. Humphries, Ali, Miz,
That leaves a lot of holes.
So I think as a minimum (9)
1 GK Upgrade
1 Cover LB
1 RB upgrade
1CB Upgrade
1DCM replace Travis
1 RM to challenge Burns
2 No 10s to compete with Chaplin/Broady
1 Striker to compete with Hirst/Ali

Some of the 9 maybe players like Hutch/Sarmiento returning.

Gav

Championship sides on 18:58 - May 11 with 2358 viewsTrequartista

We have a proud history of being ace when we get promoted (1961/62 went quite well, last team to lose a game in the inaugural premier league, and 5th in 2000/2001). OK it's harder now but, we'll bring in some quality players that fit our system and finish 13th.
[Post edited 11 May 18:59]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Championship sides on 19:10 - May 11 with 2272 viewsMK1

Bravo sir. Exactly that. The squad needs a little tinkering with, not an overhaul.
Championship sides on 19:26 - May 11 with 2177 viewsDarkBrandon

Championship sides on 19:10 - May 11 by MK1

Bravo sir. Exactly that. The squad needs a little tinkering with, not an overhaul.

Yes. But a little tinkering is basically the same as the 7-10 mentioned in this thread.

Some cover. Some replacements for loan players. 1-3 very good players who you would expect to start most games. Then you are at, or close to, double figures
Championship sides on 19:29 - May 11 with 2154 viewsDarkBrandon

You see nobody in a championship defence of the same standard as our best ever player, three quarters of our defence in our best ever side, all of whom played for England and two of whom captained their country?

How surprising and shocking
Championship sides on 20:07 - May 11 with 1993 viewssmithy69

1st ever post and immediate downvotes lol :)

Enjoy the summer - smile - leave it to the experts in KMAc and his staff. I trust their judgment

Also comparing teams from 45 years ago is pretty pointless IMO

Also”a Season of misery” ?? Cheer up mate
Championship sides on 20:12 - May 11 with 1974 viewsredrickstuhaart

Its almost impossible given the ffp rules. You cant risk spending anything like the established clubs do, for fear of ffp
Championship sides on 20:17 - May 11 with 1923 viewsParisBlue

Kieran knows exactly what we need.

In one of his interviews last weekend he mentioned that last summer he looked at it and decided for the Championship there was a need for pace. I'd expect he'll form a plan for next season which gives us a chance (and a bit like at Leeds, we may get it wrong sometimes)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Championship sides on 20:28 - May 11 with 1863 viewsSwansea_Blue

Of course we can do better. We’ve got Kieran. Nobody in their right mind would think Rob Edwards, Chris Wilder or Vincent Kompany are better coaches/managers than Kieran. We’ve literally got one of the hottest properties in the whole pyramid. In terms of up and coming managers, he must be one of the best in the world, never mind the PL.

Not that it’s going to be easy and not need a shed load of hard work and difficult decisions over the summer. Big he’s proven he’s willing to make tough decisions for the greater good and put the work in.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Championship sides on 20:36 - May 11 with 1824 viewsEuropablue

There is a lot of talk about the three promoted teams being relegated and the Premier League only getting tougher, but it seems disingenuous to ignore the fact that all three promoted teams survived last year and will now have a third season next year. I think you have to take each team on its own merits. ITFC have gone through adversity, so we know that the lads can rely on each other when the chips are down. It definitely helps to be battle hardened before you go up.
Championship sides on 20:45 - May 11 with 1760 viewsMK1

Championship sides on 19:26 - May 11 by DarkBrandon

Yes. But a little tinkering is basically the same as the 7-10 mentioned in this thread.

Some cover. Some replacements for loan players. 1-3 very good players who you would expect to start most games. Then you are at, or close to, double figures

I agree. We will let go/sale 7-10 players, so they need replacing with better. I just want the vast majority of the starting X1 to be given a proper chance of keeping us up. If Kieran wants to rip the heart out of the side, because he doesn't think they are good enough (which I don't believe) then I would trust that judgement, but I would like them to have a good go at it.
Championship sides on 20:46 - May 11 with 1754 viewsibbleobble

Completely agree. There’s nothing to fear next season. We’ll lose some and get taught a few lessons in the off days but we’ll be pretty comfortable. This idea that we need to bring in players en masse to add “more quality” is a bit of a misnomer. More experience in places for sure but a whole new centre-back pairing? I remember some saying Burgess shouldn’t be in the starting eleven in league one and now look at him. Not sure why so many are quick to write off players that have walked two divisions.

We have our way. We are turning affordable signings into very good and in some cases, international players. We need supplementing in some areas, that is all.

Mid table finish next season.
Championship sides on 21:06 - May 11 with 1660 viewsVic

Championship sides on 19:10 - May 11 by MK1

Replace a few loanees and squad players with players who really rival our first team, and a couple with genuine Prem pedigree and we should be all right.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Championship sides on 21:23 - May 11 with 1576 viewsGeoffSentence

inability to keep clean sheets?

Kept 15 clean sheets this season 5th highest in the division.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Championship sides on 21:25 - May 11 with 1562 viewsMK1

Championship sides on 21:23 - May 11 by GeoffSentence

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell him that. He wants us relegated before a ball is kicked.
Championship sides on 21:38 - May 11 with 1504 viewsjayessess

Championship sides on 21:23 - May 11 by GeoffSentence

When we set up defensively we generally defended well. There's a lot of over-simplification of our defensive record, like it's just "we concede goals, therefore our centre backs are bad" but we defend as a whole team.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Championship sides on 21:48 - May 11 with 1469 viewsbournemouthblue

Burnley didn't sign a lot of the players who got them up either

That can't have helped?

Tella went to Leverkusen
Maatsen to Dortmund

was Harwood-Bellis there too?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

pish on 21:49 - May 11 with 1459 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Top response Churchers on 22:02 - May 11 with 1409 viewsDyland

" We don’t need anybody’s model. We just need to follow our way of doing things that for two years has proved outstanding.... No fear, hit it head on."

Badafackinbing.

I can only assume Androyd is a) clueless b) a rival troll c) indeed an AI bottom or d) all three.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024