Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The home v away thing 12:48 - Apr 24 with 1389 viewsGuthrum

The teams, manager and coaches are the same as normal. The energy of our away fans is at least equal to the sum of most home crowds. The pitch is roughly the same shape and size as any other. Travel is comfortable, with hotel stays where necessary.

Why is being away from home considered such a disadvantage?

Admittedly, it'd be different if we were taking only a few hundred to other grounds, but we're pretty much always selling out.

Is the difference purely psychological?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The home v away thing on 13:13 - Apr 24 with 1287 viewsHelp

Changing rooms are always cramped and cold.
The home v away thing on 13:26 - Apr 24 with 1247 viewsJakeITFC

A lot to be said for routine - sleeping in your own bed, driving your car to the ground, our recent thing of meeting at the training ground for lunch etc.

There is also a very marginal thing about the knowledge of your own ground/pitch - think of a player like Chaplin for instance who runs on almost pure instinct, I would imagine the geography of where he is on the pitch/in Portman Road is a helpful reminder of when playing those first time volleyed passes.

I also think we play better when we play later in the day, so hopeful for Hull and Coventry but worried about Huddersfield!
The home v away thing on 13:28 - Apr 24 with 1235 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“Why is being away from home considered such a disadvantage?”

Have you been to Stoke on Trent… nuff said…
The home v away thing on 13:31 - Apr 24 with 1222 viewsFrimleyBlue

Everything changes really

Pre Match pre, lunch times, pre game fitness work ( think of Morsy i think it was in millwalls hallway)
Then you have variable pitches, despite being similar sizes, some may play slower, some will play faster, some will be boggy in corners, or boggy in middles. Then you throw in the officials and how they tend naturally to favour the home side, well apart from ours.
etc

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The home v away thing on 13:34 - Apr 24 with 1208 viewsSwansea_Blue

Away from how you have 3 sides of the ground calling you a w&nker. Can’t be fun.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The home v away thing on 13:45 - Apr 24 with 1124 viewsArchiRob

The state of Hulls Rugby pitch.
Samiento for example has been noticeably sub-par performances on the rubbish uneven away pitches
The home v away thing on 13:49 - Apr 24 with 1091 viewsGuthrum

The home v away thing on 13:28 - Apr 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“Why is being away from home considered such a disadvantage?”

Have you been to Stoke on Trent… nuff said…

Yes! Not sure any of them were Tuesday night, but it was certainly cold ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The home v away thing on 14:11 - Apr 24 with 1032 viewsSmithersJones

I’m pretty sure Vincent Kompany did his MBA dissertation on this.
Login to get fewer ads

The home v away thing on 14:34 - Apr 24 with 979 viewsBent_double

The home v away thing on 13:26 - Apr 24 by JakeITFC

A lot to be said for routine - sleeping in your own bed, driving your car to the ground, our recent thing of meeting at the training ground for lunch etc.

There is also a very marginal thing about the knowledge of your own ground/pitch - think of a player like Chaplin for instance who runs on almost pure instinct, I would imagine the geography of where he is on the pitch/in Portman Road is a helpful reminder of when playing those first time volleyed passes.

I also think we play better when we play later in the day, so hopeful for Hull and Coventry but worried about Huddersfield!

I'm worried about that early KO too - cosidering how we've performed in all the other early Saturday KO's.

The fact that Uddersfield are truly awful should help us though - whether they are already down and don't care, or if they need a win to stay up, which should play right into our hands.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

The home v away thing on 17:15 - Apr 24 with 800 viewsRadlett_blue

The home v away thing on 13:26 - Apr 24 by JakeITFC

This has been analysed & the main conclusion is that hoem teams do better because referees are influenced by the crowd & therefore bias their decisions - however unconsciously - in favour of the home team.
We all remember how many away players used to get sent off at Elland Road & I remmeber a PL ref saying that you might not think twice about sending off Danng Higginbotham at Old Trafford, but before you sent off John Terry at Stamford Bridge, you would think twice & wonder if you wanted our name to be all over the tabloids on Sunday morning if you'd got it wrong.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The home v away thing on 17:22 - Apr 24 with 773 viewsNthsuffolkblue

4 wins fewer and 4 defeats more suggests there is a significant difference, whether that is travelling, routine, all the dark arts clubs like nodge employ of black smaller changing rooms with no electricity etc, or whatever. However, a 52.4% win percentage suggests we shouldn't fear travelling away.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The home v away thing on 17:40 - Apr 24 with 722 viewsNthQldITFC

The home v away thing on 13:34 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

Away from how you have 3 sides of the ground calling you a w&nker. Can’t be fun.

I get that at home.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The home v away thing on 17:46 - Apr 24 with 695 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I guess a major part is despite how noisy they are or aren't, you know about 80% of the crowd are supporting you at home, willing you to success, even singing songs about how much they love you. Away from home the majority not only want you to fail, but embarrass yourself, get injured, all sorts of nasty stuff. It's like walking into a rough bar/part of town. 99% of the time you'll be fine, but you're still more aware, more on edge, less confident.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The home v away thing on 17:51 - Apr 24 with 674 viewshoppy

The home v away thing on 17:40 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

I get that at home.

No, that's 4 sides...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The home v away thing on 18:10 - Apr 24 with 607 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The home v away thing on 17:51 - Apr 24 by hoppy

No, that's 4 sides...

You're forgetting people who shout down the chimney.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The home v away thing on 18:11 - Apr 24 with 599 viewshoppy

The home v away thing on 18:10 - Apr 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're forgetting people who shout down the chimney.

And also at the TV, the number of times we've been on live this season... must be quite a few extras there.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The home v away thing on 19:31 - Apr 24 with 485 viewsHighgateBlue

I don't know why. But I shall try to shed a little light on how much better teams are at home than away. Bear with me. In short, 32% more points have been scored by the home team this season in the Champ than the away team.

In common with the whole "don't worry about any other results, they don't matter, we just have to win our games" attitude, we are being a bit self-centered about the home v away issue. Most replies in the thread below that are based on fact rather than sentiment focus on our away form.

But let's just consider Hull's home form for a moment. There will be two teams playing each other, after all.

Hull are 7th in the league and have a sniff at the playoffs if they beat us.

However they are 5th in the away league table, and only 12th in the home league table. So they're bang average in terms of 'being a home team'. It's not terribly uncommon to be higher up the away league table than the home one of course - each of those league tables is comparing a team against its peers. That fact alone is not saying that the team is actually BETTER away than at home.

However, in Hull's case, they are not only higher up the away league table than the home league table, but they are one of very few teams who actually score fewer points per game at home than away. For every point they score away, they only score 0.9 at home.

There are in fact 5 teams who score fewer points per game at home. One of those is Hull. Rotherham are an outlier: so poor away that they score 5 times as many PPG at home as away.

The table below shows the ratio for all Champ teams of 'home PPG : away PPG'

Rotherham 5.00
Birmingham City 2.54
Norwich City 2.00
Plymouth 2.00
West Brom 1.77
Sheffield Wed 1.47
Leeds Utd 1.43
Preston 1.42
Coventry City 1.38
Bristol City 1.36
Sunderland 1.33