Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Careful what you wish for 2.0 11:39 - Apr 23 with 3521 viewssoupytwist

Jonathan Liew in today's Guardian doing his best to give us all a reality check:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2024/apr/23/for-sheffield-united-and-c

Would we be demonstrably different to the current Sheffield United if we go up?
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:26 - Apr 23 with 653 viewstractorboy1978

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:30 - Apr 23 by ElderGrizzly

It depends what "every chance" means.

Every chance of staying up? That becomes the reality for 12 of the 20 each season and we will be in that group.

It's not really any different now to how it was 24 years ago when we last got promoted is it? You've got a small group of 3/4 teams that are realistically going to win it barring a miracle. Over the last couple of seasons we've seen established forces like Man Utd and Chelsea being reeled in by the likes of Newcastle and Villa (two teams we played in the Championship not long ago). West Ham came down to the Championship relatively recently and won a European competition last season.

We pulled a truly remarkable season out in 2000/01 but that wasn't remotely the norm. Man City and Bradford who we got promoted with both came straight back down with 34 and 26 points respectively.

You've got about 12 teams that are probably a few bad decisions away from relegation but it's always been thus. And no team has a right to be able to compete in the PL season in, season out.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:26 - Apr 23 with 651 viewsgiant_stow

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:17 - Apr 23 by You_Bloo_Right

Your team may have stayed up for 3 years but diver Holt had trouble staying up for 3 minutes.

... the best player not to play for England (although I think he nearly made a squad once).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:26 - Apr 23 with 654 viewsTheBoyBlue

People often talk as if relegation is inevitable as soon as you go up to the PL. However, the number of teams who go straight down seems to have been relatively small in recent seasons. Teams like Brentford and Brighton have shown that a 'small' team can survive and thrive up there and I'd like to think we're closer to that sort of model than Sheffield United's.

Either way, if we do achieve promotion, I can't imagine that my celebrations will be interrupted for a second by thoughts of VAR or how much Manchester City could batter us. It would just be fantastic to us back up there again.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:30 - Apr 23 with 620 viewsIllinoisblue

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:14 - Apr 23 by Guthrum

But then you get teams who use that as a base for building further. It may take quite a few years and not necessarily end up at the very top like Leicester. But it wasn't so long ago we were playing West Ham and Villa in the Championship, clubs who are now hunting European football.

There are tales of success as well as woe. But perhaps it takes time and incremental improvement, rather than too much change provoked by overambition or desperation.
[Post edited 23 Apr 13:15]

True. Measured growth is the aim.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 14:38 - Apr 23 with 568 viewsChurchman

Interesting article. Particularly the reference to ourselves.

The PL by the way it’s structured is designed to become ever more uncompetitive. I’m not sure it’s possible for teams to do what Charlton, Sunderland and to a lesser extent ourselves did 20+ years ago.

I want us to give it a try. To be the best we can be. It’s a challenge. Why not?

The risk though is that the costs absorb the money you acquire and if you don’t bounce back when you are inevitably relegated you are praying for a takeover to rescue you, as West Brom have done and Norwich will do if they fail to make it this season. Secondly, watching a team getting smashed every week isn’t fun. In fact it’s nine months of misery.

So what’s the answer? There isn’t one. I suspect at some stage the PL will pull up the drawbridge and keep all the money for themselves.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 14:44 - Apr 23 with 547 viewsSarge

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:22 - Apr 23 by giant_stow

Brighton are the outlier - fair enough. Think Brentford will most likely go down next season though - such teams always do sooner or later - don't forget that in our Grant Holt days we stayed up 3 seasons.

Made even more remarkable given that Grant Holt himself could barely stay up on his own two feet.

Edit: an observation already acutely made
[Post edited 23 Apr 14:46]
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 14:45 - Apr 23 with 545 viewsElderGrizzly

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 14:38 - Apr 23 by Churchman

Interesting article. Particularly the reference to ourselves.

The PL by the way it’s structured is designed to become ever more uncompetitive. I’m not sure it’s possible for teams to do what Charlton, Sunderland and to a lesser extent ourselves did 20+ years ago.

I want us to give it a try. To be the best we can be. It’s a challenge. Why not?

The risk though is that the costs absorb the money you acquire and if you don’t bounce back when you are inevitably relegated you are praying for a takeover to rescue you, as West Brom have done and Norwich will do if they fail to make it this season. Secondly, watching a team getting smashed every week isn’t fun. In fact it’s nine months of misery.

So what’s the answer? There isn’t one. I suspect at some stage the PL will pull up the drawbridge and keep all the money for themselves.

On your last point, they are edging towards that with the latest proposals around PSR.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 14:52 - Apr 23 with 515 viewsNthQldITFC

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:17 - Apr 23 by You_Bloo_Right

Your team may have stayed up for 3 years but diver Holt had trouble staying up for 3 minutes.

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Not very apt, but then my thoughts often are not.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 15:08 - Apr 23 with 495 viewsrodney76

Nothing's changed over the years except that it gets more of a strugle.

"We've got a point, we've got a point,
Eee, I, adio, we've got a point."

How long ago was it that Graeme Taylor sang at getting a draw when his doomed team, Watford were a one-season inhabitant of the top league?
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 15:31 - Apr 23 with 463 viewsGeoffSentence

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:26 - Apr 23 by giant_stow

... the best player not to play for England (although I think he nearly made a squad once).

You mean Marcus Stewart of course.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 16:02 - Apr 23 with 415 viewsronnyd

Blimey, that's a take.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 16:59 - Apr 23 with 384 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Of your ex-players that accolade goes to Rob Green, surely?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 17:19 - Apr 23 with 365 viewsitfc48

It's a shame that the Prem has become an absolute sewer that's consumed by greed.

I don't think we're far off a big attempt from a number of owners to close up the shop and move to an MLS style model.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 17:45 - Apr 23 with 343 viewsEdwardStone

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:30 - Apr 23 by Illinoisblue

True. Measured growth is the aim.

Very succint Mr Illnois

I can feel a call/response terrace chant coming on

"What Do We Want?? "

"Measured Growth"

"When Do We Want It?? "

"Progressively Over The Next Few Years "
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 17:47 - Apr 23 with 335 viewsSwansea_Blue

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:16 - Apr 23 by giant_stow

He's bang on about this being the good bit.

Yeah yeah, I know Norwich are rubbish / always go down etc... but he's still right.

Depends on the club I suppose. It doesn’t seem long ago that our fans unrolled a dopey banner at Brighton in a Championship match. Since the we’ve been in L1 and them in Europe. I bet they don’t regret being promoted. Palace is another one who not long ago was a regular Championship fixture.

Obviously if you end up just making up the numbers it must be pretty soul destroying. So he’s right if you fail. The odds of staying in the Pl any length of time aren’t good for medium sized clubs though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 17:53 - Apr 23 with 319 viewsRadlett_blue

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 11:46 - Apr 23 by Steve_M

The difference between the Sheffield United who deservedly got promoted in 2019 and the one that took second place almost by default last season is pretty stark, and the reasons for that largely come down to poor decisions made off the pitch. Luton may get relegated but they've not stunk the place out like Sheffield United have.

Liew's wider point on the financial imbalance making the Premier League more sh1t with every passing year I agree with and it would be better for everyone else if the top six or seven clubs did just feck off to their superleague with no relegation and see if the wider footballing-public give as much of a sh1t about it as a competitive national division.
[Post edited 23 Apr 13:12]

You might say that, but the PL TV rights increase in value every year, especially the more competitive overseas rights so it's hard to argue against the fact that the PL is doing exceptionally well as a competitive, attractive product.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 17:58 - Apr 23 with 299 viewsNthQldITFC

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 17:45 - Apr 23 by EdwardStone

Very succint Mr Illnois

I can feel a call/response terrace chant coming on

"What Do We Want?? "

"Measured Growth"

"When Do We Want It?? "

"Progressively Over The Next Few Years "

"What Do We Want?? "

"Instant Gratification"

"When Do We Want It?? "

"When The Time Is Right"

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 18:11 - Apr 23 with 278 viewsStrimmer

He's right about one thing: should've let the big six (seven now?) go off to their euro super league. Honestly. Those clubs are on a different plain now, its not worth trying. Can we reel in man city now or newcastle in 3 years, no. Can we reel in Everton and West Ham, yes.

A new top league made of lower prem/upper championship would be outstanding.

Poll: Was it a punch?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024