Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Suffolk spot 23:00 - Apr 8 with 5519 viewsNeedhamChris

Where is everyone's favourite Suffolk spot?

For me - it's Orford. Nowhere else I'd rather spend a few hours or more, although Walberswick isn't far behind.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Favourite Suffolk spot on 15:39 - Apr 9 with 1480 viewsZx1988

Southwold and its pier (off-season).

Lots of very happy memories there, and a plaque on the pier commemorating our wedding day.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Favourite Suffolk spot on 15:48 - Apr 9 with 1441 viewsbluelagos

Lots of lovely spots named already. I am quite partial to a walk along the Stour or Orwell estuaries. Shotley peninsula from Pin Mill to Shotley is very nice, as is the other side from Stutton to Cattawade.

Best bit is a lot of the time you can walk all day and see only a handful of people in-between the villages.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Favourite Suffolk spot on 15:51 - Apr 9 with 1414 viewsyesjohn99

Summer - Bottom Shops
Winter - Top shops
Favourite Suffolk spot on 15:59 - Apr 9 with 1398 viewsDJR

For me, it's the area extending from Southwold to Walberswick, and also the area from the Dip to Felixstowe Ferry, not least because they bring back memories of my parents.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 16:32 - Apr 9 with 1354 viewsjudespiveyg

Boyton marshes are really really tranquil and utterly idyllic on a summer's day.
Also love Shingle Street which is just down the road.
[Post edited 9 Apr 16:34]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Favourite Suffolk spot on 17:19 - Apr 9 with 1297 viewsFrans_Arnie

Thorpeness - pebble beach with a fairly steep incline into the sea. The mere, quirky buildings including the House in the Clouds, close to Aldeburgh for fish & chips but not as busy and coastal walk as far as Dunwich.

Felixstowe …..to the left of the pier is pretty good too .
Favourite Suffolk spot on 17:50 - Apr 9 with 1263 viewssoupytwist

Never been there myself but this Twitter post makes me want to walk from Snape to St Botolph's church in Iken.

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:10 - Apr 9 with 1190 viewsBLUEBEAT

Favourite Suffolk spot on 10:54 - Apr 9 by Mookamoo

There is a nice walk from Melton to Bawdsey which takes you past Ramsholt Church. You can sit by the church, which used to be a Saxon lookout tower and look over the Deben. I think that is the perfect Suffolk view

Have a pint in the Ramsholt Arms, walk to Bawdey and get the ferry to Felixstowe for chips by the sea. None more Suffolk.

Oh lovely. I am currently on a quest to visit all of our Saxon round tower churches by the end of this year. Have to say Ramsholt is my favourite so far. One of the oldest and in a fantastic setting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cws1wbcMSED/?igsh=MXF6bnFvazZ4Y2JzYw==

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Suffolk spot on 19:08 - Apr 11 with 1021 viewsford6600

Southwold nice out of season, fish n chips n Adnams in pub or on pier..Lavenham of course, Kersey, and Darmsden Church a Victorian rebuild on a hill overlooking valley near Needham Market is a nice spot if you ignore the pylons!
Favourite Suffolk spot on 19:20 - Apr 11 with 1010 viewsMK1

Framlingham Castle.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 19:33 - Apr 11 with 981 viewsbazza

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:10 - Apr 9 by BLUEBEAT

Oh lovely. I am currently on a quest to visit all of our Saxon round tower churches by the end of this year. Have to say Ramsholt is my favourite so far. One of the oldest and in a fantastic setting.

I worked with a guy who had visited nearly every church in Suffolk.. he was on an archeological dig near barham, working on an old Roman settlement. I think he said coddenham and a few around that area was all he had left, That’s some going.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 20:05 - Apr 11 with 958 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Favourite Suffolk spot on 14:46 - Apr 9 by ThatMuhrenCross

The sofa seat in the front window of The Crown Hotel in Framlingham, overlooking the square on market day with a coffee and a sausage sandwich.

You like watching w@nkers shopping!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:07 - Apr 11 with 897 viewsHelp

To many to mention

Lavenham for all its beauty.
BSE
Shotley
Orford
Lowestoft
Aldeburgh
Rendlesham Forest

In fact I love visiting any village/town and in between because we live in a fantastic county
[Post edited 12 Apr 9:45]
Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:14 - Apr 11 with 889 viewsMookamoo

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:10 - Apr 9 by BLUEBEAT

Great shots
Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:19 - Apr 11 with 885 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Sudbury Meadows, happy childhood memories I guess.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:31 - Apr 11 with 865 viewsChurchman

Thanks for all these ideas. I’m taking Mrs C as part of her recovery to stay at my late father’s house (my house now, I suppose) in Waldringfield in May for a week. I know plenty of these places, particularly in that area, but all suggestions of places to visit, eat and chill gratefully received!
Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:35 - Apr 11 with 859 viewsMelford

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:19 - Apr 11 by AndrewRatcliffITFC

Sudbury Meadows, happy childhood memories I guess.

Going down Ballingdon woods to hit the bong and eat mushrooms. Laying on top of the old WW2 pillboxes looking up at the stars. Nicking a boat from the Quay Theatre and going on a joyride down the river.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:37 - Apr 11 with 846 viewsEdwardStone

I vote for Edwardstone

From the splendour of Temple Bar to the fleshpots of The White Horse boozer, it is a village of endless delight

https://www.eadt.co.uk/resources/images/15445087/?type=og-image
Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:58 - Apr 11 with 816 viewsBLUEBEAT

Favourite Suffolk spot on 19:33 - Apr 11 by bazza

I worked with a guy who had visited nearly every church in Suffolk.. he was on an archeological dig near barham, working on an old Roman settlement. I think he said coddenham and a few around that area was all he had left, That’s some going.

That’s a lot of churches! Pretty sure that there are more churches in Norfolk/Suffolk than anywhere else in the UK.

I’m obviously just focusing on niche Saxon roundtowers and there are still in excess of 180. Must be at least twentyfold that for all church types.

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:09 - Apr 11 with 806 viewsbazza

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:58 - Apr 11 by BLUEBEAT

That’s a lot of churches! Pretty sure that there are more churches in Norfolk/Suffolk than anywhere else in the UK.

I’m obviously just focusing on niche Saxon roundtowers and there are still in excess of 180. Must be at least twentyfold that for all church types.

Google says 500 in Suffolk.. that’s almost 10 years in weekends… majority of the round towers are Norfolk, maybe take some Ipswich stickers , stick one somewhere on all the Norfolk ones.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:12 - Apr 11 with 803 viewsBLUEBEAT

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:09 - Apr 11 by bazza

Google says 500 in Suffolk.. that’s almost 10 years in weekends… majority of the round towers are Norfolk, maybe take some Ipswich stickers , stick one somewhere on all the Norfolk ones.

That’s a good idea 😆

I’ve done 53 so far.

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:19 - Apr 11 with 792 viewsnorfsufblue

Favourite Suffolk spot on 15:15 - Apr 9 by giant_stow

Beccles. Honorary Norfolk really.

Beccles Clock Tower... as Aan Brazil famously states.... doesn't give the time of day to Norfolk!
Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:21 - Apr 11 with 791 viewsbazza

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:12 - Apr 11 by BLUEBEAT

That’s a good idea 😆

I’ve done 53 so far.

Quite funny how people would pay good money to visit a castle, but churches are equally as grand, and full of history , How long has it taken to do the 53?
Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:52 - Apr 11 with 769 viewsBLUEBEAT

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:21 - Apr 11 by bazza

Quite funny how people would pay good money to visit a castle, but churches are equally as grand, and full of history , How long has it taken to do the 53?

Agree. I’m not even into Christianity. More interested in the Old Ways and the Saxon churches show many signs of Paganic worship alongside early Christian symbolism. Fascinating. To me, anyway.

Started September 2023. Ramsholt was the second one specifically visited after a wander around Sutton Hoo.

They’re all on IG under #takemetochurchquest

Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:03 - Apr 11 with 741 viewsbazza

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:52 - Apr 11 by BLUEBEAT

Agree. I’m not even into Christianity. More interested in the Old Ways and the Saxon churches show many signs of Paganic worship alongside early Christian symbolism. Fascinating. To me, anyway.

Started September 2023. Ramsholt was the second one specifically visited after a wander around Sutton Hoo.

They’re all on IG under #takemetochurchquest

Love Sutton hoo, decent 53 in 6 months, get to see some nice Suffolk/Norfolk countryside as well as a bit of Essex, enjoy .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024