Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Suffolk spot 23:00 - Apr 8 with 5521 viewsNeedhamChris

Where is everyone's favourite Suffolk spot?

For me - it's Orford. Nowhere else I'd rather spend a few hours or more, although Walberswick isn't far behind.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:15 - Apr 11 with 883 viewsChurchman

Favourite Suffolk spot on 21:58 - Apr 11 by BLUEBEAT

That’s a lot of churches! Pretty sure that there are more churches in Norfolk/Suffolk than anywhere else in the UK.

I’m obviously just focusing on niche Saxon roundtowers and there are still in excess of 180. Must be at least twentyfold that for all church types.

I must do some of the churches. A load of my ancestors lived in the Bury St Edmunds, Stowmarket area and a little nosing about wouldn’t go amiss. I like the scale of them. They’re all small and steeped in history.

The services for my mum and dad were done at Waldringfield church. It’s small, but totally charming. You can see the history (the bit I’m interested in tbh) in it back a good few 100 years, yet it’s kind of on its own outside the main village.

I like doing the walks along the Deben. You can stand looking out on the river across to Sutton Hoo and imagine the Saxons (Angles) and later Vikings rowing silently up the river. Spine chilling!
Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:29 - Apr 11 with 854 viewslowhouseblue

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:12 - Apr 11 by BLUEBEAT

That’s a good idea 😆

I’ve done 53 so far.

this, wonderful website, is what you need.

http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/churchlists.htm

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:48 - Apr 11 with 837 viewsBLUEBEAT

Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:29 - Apr 11 by lowhouseblue

this, wonderful website, is what you need.

http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/churchlists.htm

Yep! I use that and his N*rfolk one.

Main reference points are Round Tower Churches Society website and an old book by Stephen Hart.

Poll: W or W

Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:48 - Apr 11 with 837 viewscressi

Haverhole
Favourite Suffolk spot on 06:45 - Apr 12 with 776 viewsElephantintheRoom

Nobody seems to have mentioned Minsmere Bird Reserve. The walk up past Sizewall to Minsmere is a delightful mix of the best and worst of Suffolk. Covehishould be on every Suffolk resident’s bucket list - but for those with a penchant for history could do a lot worse than visit the wartime USAAF air bases. Not as interesting now as they were just a few short years ago - but thought provoking and atmospheric.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Favourite Suffolk spot on 07:06 - Apr 12 with 764 viewsbazza

Favourite Suffolk spot on 06:45 - Apr 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Nobody seems to have mentioned Minsmere Bird Reserve. The walk up past Sizewall to Minsmere is a delightful mix of the best and worst of Suffolk. Covehishould be on every Suffolk resident’s bucket list - but for those with a penchant for history could do a lot worse than visit the wartime USAAF air bases. Not as interesting now as they were just a few short years ago - but thought provoking and atmospheric.

Good shout, minsmere and dunwich Heath Lovely trails for the kids there, and a lovely cafe, with a look out .
Favourite Suffolk spot on 07:55 - Apr 12 with 717 viewsDJR

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:09 - Apr 11 by bazza

Google says 500 in Suffolk.. that’s almost 10 years in weekends… majority of the round towers are Norfolk, maybe take some Ipswich stickers , stick one somewhere on all the Norfolk ones.

The fact that there are more round tower churches in Norfolk than Suffolk may be due in part to the importance of the wool trade in Suffolk which led to rebuilding of some fairly grand churches in place like Lavenham.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2014-08-06/hidden-histories-suffolks-wool-trade

"During the 15th century Suffolk was incredibly wealthy because of the woollen cloth it produced. Places like Lavenham were so rich it paid more tax than big cities like York and Lincoln. In fact, at its height, it was the 14th wealthiest settlement in the country. And it was a similar yarn of success in towns like Long Melford, Sudbury, Bury St Edmunds and Clare.

And as the towns grew in wealth, so they grew in size. The merchants built fine houses, grand guildhalls, and enormous churches – giving us the magnificent architecture we see in the wool towns of today."
[Post edited 12 Apr 8:05]
Favourite Suffolk spot on 09:03 - Apr 12 with 669 viewssolemio

Favourite Suffolk spot on 07:06 - Apr 12 by bazza

Good shout, minsmere and dunwich Heath Lovely trails for the kids there, and a lovely cafe, with a look out .

From the lookout I once counted 21 vessels. You're lucky now if you see one.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Suffolk spot on 09:56 - Apr 12 with 637 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite Suffolk spot on 09:03 - Apr 12 by solemio

"I remember when there used to be ships on the Tyne".
Stares moodily out of the window.
#Spender

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Favourite Suffolk spot on 10:03 - Apr 12 with 625 viewsElephantintheRoom

Favourite Suffolk spot on 09:03 - Apr 12 by solemio

You could see a load of parked oil tankers parked offshore a few years back waiting for the oil price to rise. How times change

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Favourite Suffolk spot on 10:30 - Apr 12 with 595 views_clive_baker_

Favourite Suffolk spot on 08:11 - Apr 9 by Bluespeed225

Must say I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Felixstowe since moving there. I think it's the free parking for pops into town! Enough to keep me occupied pub wise, decent walks, a few dinner places, it's alright.

Felixstowe is on the up and this is a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Understandably doesn't get the attention that Southwold and Aldeburgh get, but I'll leave them to the London 2nd homers and Chelsea tractors personally. Nice to look at, but a little too twee for me. Felixstowe has had a really nice vibe the last few times I've been, good golf course, nice walks, decent pubs, I was really pleased to see how busy it was last time I went too. The pier and amusements were rammed, people eating fish & chips and Ice creams. I like it, its good old fashioned family fun innit. Lots for kids and families to do, and the addition of the beach street bit is welcome with a little beer hut in there and some good pizza.

The high street is a little rough around the edges but there's a lot going for the town IMO. Way nicer than it was even 10-15 years back.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 11:08 - Apr 12 with 564 viewsbelgablue

Little shout out to Flatford Mill as it's not been mentioned yet. On a spring day the loop walk around / through Dedham and Flatford is cracking, with lunch in either the Flatford cafe or the excellent Sun pub in Dedham (technically Essex). Always give a little cheer / (colourful) remark when we cross the bridge from Essex to Suffolk for the benefit of Mrs Belga, an Essex native.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Favourite Suffolk spot on 11:20 - Apr 12 with 555 viewsleitrimblue

Favourite Suffolk spot on 22:52 - Apr 11 by BLUEBEAT

Agree. I’m not even into Christianity. More interested in the Old Ways and the Saxon churches show many signs of Paganic worship alongside early Christian symbolism. Fascinating. To me, anyway.

Started September 2023. Ramsholt was the second one specifically visited after a wander around Sutton Hoo.

They’re all on IG under #takemetochurchquest

Have you done Little Bradley Church?
Church itself as a few Saxon features, but what I find interesting about it is there us a large enough Deserted Medieval Village in the field behind it. Don't think there any buildings in the village of any age so the DMV probably coincides with possibly the construction but all most definitely the use of the Church.

Just walk up the hill slightly from the Church and jump in the field, you will see a serious of earthworks, looks like bumps and flatter linear areas( streets/roads).

If anyone asks what you doing in there just tell um with confidence yer an archaeologist.
Favourite Suffolk spot on 11:38 - Apr 12 with 542 viewsJ2BLUE

Favourite Suffolk spot on 15:37 - Apr 9 by mutters

Portman Road

Had to scroll way too far for this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Favourite Suffolk spot on 18:05 - Apr 12 with 458 viewsDJR

Favourite Suffolk spot on 23:15 - Apr 11 by Churchman

I must do some of the churches. A load of my ancestors lived in the Bury St Edmunds, Stowmarket area and a little nosing about wouldn’t go amiss. I like the scale of them. They’re all small and steeped in history.

The services for my mum and dad were done at Waldringfield church. It’s small, but totally charming. You can see the history (the bit I’m interested in tbh) in it back a good few 100 years, yet it’s kind of on its own outside the main village.

I like doing the walks along the Deben. You can stand looking out on the river across to Sutton Hoo and imagine the Saxons (Angles) and later Vikings rowing silently up the river. Spine chilling!

I have a particular soft spot for the Deben as our sea scouts moored their dinghies at Woodbridge, and we sometimes sailed as far as Felixstowe Ferry, where we once had an Admiralty inspection by what seemed like Royal Naval bigwigs.

I don't think the 9th Ipswich is still going but I see from the following that the 13th is still recognised and so undergoes such inspections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_Recognised_Sea_Scouts

EDIT: this indicates the 9th (which was formed in 1915) merged with the 31st in 2004 and are no longer sea scouts but they remain based at the same place, next to a footpath that leads to Copleston.

FURTHER EDIT: one of the sailing dinghies was name after a scout who drowned before I joined which just goes to show the difference between then and now because these days the parents would sue rather than donating a boat.

[Post edited 12 Apr 18:29]
Favourite Suffolk spot on 18:28 - Apr 12 with 415 viewscatch74

Favourite Suffolk spot on 17:50 - Apr 9 by soupytwist

Never been there myself but this Twitter post makes me want to walk from Snape to St Botolph's church in Iken.

My dad used to have a little boat there, we’d sail up to Butley Creek and other places. Used to swim at Iken, there was a cliff with a great rope swing and a kind of beach there when I was a kid.
Born in Blaxhall, so love all that area - Snape Maltings a bit too popular now but it’s all stunning.
The coast from Southwold down to Felixstowe - so many childhood memories and the best fish and chips.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024