Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? 15:31 - Apr 7 with 4281 viewsMullet

I had no chance of going yesterday, but think the club have massively dented all the goodwill we had going. The high of Southampton to yesterday no longer just hinges on the result or the football does it?

Everyone will want a system which suits them, and I lost out due to all my membership points being assigned to the supporters club not my name personally. As I couldn't have GC last season under the old system, all my tickets just went through the branch. Had done for years, paid my membership that way. That could no longer happen under the new system, and fair enough I guess. The potential I was going to pass them on along with 50 or so other people is an easy loophole the club wanted to close.

Wasn't chuffed at starting at 5, but took it and carried on. Then I lost out getting Brum tickets (fair enough it's localish and their ground is falling down - been there millions of times) it was the Rotherham thing that annoyed me personally. Awarding a point for the postponed game people had no intention of going to when rearranged seemed wrong to me. Then when I saw WBA sell out at 10pts when I was the next bracket down (on 9 if I remember right)

Not being able to try and buy a ticket really annoyed me when I saw loads of people making WBA their first away of the season etc. If 'd have missed out online, so be it but not being able to buy at all, made me wonder how many people were tipped into 10 pts by Rotherham for example.

I get rewarding everyone who went in the promotion season, but with hindsight adding on points from the GC was a mistake as they weren't policed at all. This meant when touting became an issue the club were in a bit of a bind. People were gaming the system, this was acknowledged but nothing really happened.

The fact it's continuing now fairly openly is neither here nor there after yesterday. Had there been bans immediately from all the twitter fallout and narcissism form a few, you'd have probably disincentivised enough to people to make touting or whatever you call it less appealing.

Had they just given 5pts at the start of this season and another 5 for renewing I dunno if people would have been that upset. New system, new slate, people who genuinely go to away games accumulate as the season progresses etc.

The ticket office have been brilliant whenever I've dealt with them since GC came in, and they've said publicly they are learning as they go with the points system. But charging £40 and how things have panned out is going to cause massive issues if people miss out on playoff tickets isn't it? We've had some genuinely brilliant away ends this season again, and people making the effort etc like Plymouth and Cardiff reflects that.

Whatever allocation we get if we drop from the top 2, whatever bracket they sell out at it's really cheapened it all I'd say, and made me wonder how they appease those fans who are doing serious mileage, hotels, time away etc to still come up short. With the potential of a two tier fanbase as Prem games are still in sight next season; the club are going to have invest some serious money into monitoring where tickets end up too. Approved providers charging thousands to American tourists is already in place at the biggest clubs, imagine that here one day.

They're also gonna look rather weak if they do go after fans abusing the system now, who will rightly say "but Norwich" won't they?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 15:49 - Apr 7 with 3982 viewsbazza

There’s an argument from every angle, you’ll never please everyone, it’s impossible, you can argue there’s season ticket holders that travel to every home game, maybe even stay over, and can’t get a ticket for an away game as they don’t have the points, or the spare money to travel to the ones that are so far away, the more local ones are impossible to get, because of the points system and away fans having the monopoly on it. And because of the almost near instant increase in crowds since GC came in, has left a lot of fans cut adrift, as purchasing the odd away ticket and super blues etc, will never help catch up with people already on 30+
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:32 - Apr 7 with 3735 viewsMullet

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 15:49 - Apr 7 by bazza

There’s an argument from every angle, you’ll never please everyone, it’s impossible, you can argue there’s season ticket holders that travel to every home game, maybe even stay over, and can’t get a ticket for an away game as they don’t have the points, or the spare money to travel to the ones that are so far away, the more local ones are impossible to get, because of the points system and away fans having the monopoly on it. And because of the almost near instant increase in crowds since GC came in, has left a lot of fans cut adrift, as purchasing the odd away ticket and super blues etc, will never help catch up with people already on 30+

Even when I had an ST for years it annoyed me when people would use it as some sort of entitlement to everything. Deckchair used to love picking fans moaning and put it in the paper - so many of them had a ST for X years, which always went back to the Prem seasons.

I think given for years I would pay something like £28 a ticket in churchmans and ST holders there got them for just over half that price, there's enough value for ST's to be just that and nothing more.

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:52 - Apr 7 with 3618 viewsbenrhyddingblue

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 15:49 - Apr 7 by bazza

You buy a season ticket to guarantee a ticket for a home game, nothing to do with away games. Those people who put in the time, money and effort to travel up and down the country through the season deserve to be prioritised for away games. No way having a season ticket should mean someone is prioritised for the odd away game now and again they may want to attend throughout a season. Previously you could also buy a gold card to get away game priority and now there’s a new system in place, which isn’t perfect but rewards those people who go to most away games.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:53 - Apr 7 with 3616 viewsbazza

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:32 - Apr 7 by Mullet

Even when I had an ST for years it annoyed me when people would use it as some sort of entitlement to everything. Deckchair used to love picking fans moaning and put it in the paper - so many of them had a ST for X years, which always went back to the Prem seasons.

I think given for years I would pay something like £28 a ticket in churchmans and ST holders there got them for just over half that price, there's enough value for ST's to be just that and nothing more.

I wasn’t disagreeing, you’ll never please everyone, it’s just life. 50% will always be happy, and the other 50% won’t . You can argue from an away day fan, they have no chance of a season ticket anymore, and are in the same situation trying to get a home ticket, as a home fan trying to get an away one, If you’re lucky enough to do both, I doff my cap. I will keep plugging away.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:59 - Apr 7 with 3577 viewsSarge

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:52 - Apr 7 by benrhyddingblue

You buy a season ticket to guarantee a ticket for a home game, nothing to do with away games. Those people who put in the time, money and effort to travel up and down the country through the season deserve to be prioritised for away games. No way having a season ticket should mean someone is prioritised for the odd away game now and again they may want to attend throughout a season. Previously you could also buy a gold card to get away game priority and now there’s a new system in place, which isn’t perfect but rewards those people who go to most away games.

It rewards those who go to most away games but only if they pay an extra £40 for the privilege of having their attendance recognised.

It’s also a relatively closed shop, in many cases the only way to get a ticket to a game is to already have been able to get a ticket to a game. This doesn’t bother me too much, as it’s a function of heavy demand for something that will always be limited. But times this season I’ve had to sit with the home fans whilst the away end has noticeable gaps because there are people that only buy tickets for the points. It’s disappointing.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 19:56 - Apr 7 with 3254 viewssouthnorfolkblue

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:59 - Apr 7 by Sarge

It rewards those who go to most away games but only if they pay an extra £40 for the privilege of having their attendance recognised.

It’s also a relatively closed shop, in many cases the only way to get a ticket to a game is to already have been able to get a ticket to a game. This doesn’t bother me too much, as it’s a function of heavy demand for something that will always be limited. But times this season I’ve had to sit with the home fans whilst the away end has noticeable gaps because there are people that only buy tickets for the points. It’s disappointing.

Talking of closed shop, presumably there wouldn’t be much incentive for someone to take out membership for the first time next season, because they’ll rank behind existing members for points?

Poll: Our final position

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:05 - Apr 7 with 3221 viewsbenrhyddingblue

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 17:59 - Apr 7 by Sarge

I started the season on five points for just for buying the membership and Norwich is the first away game I’ve wanted to go to that I couldn’t (been to 12 away games). People end up missing games for any number of reasons, unrelated to buying for points and I’m sorry but the away games I’ve been to have been packed out or still had tickets available. You make it out to be some scandalous thing that’s happening every away game. It definitely isn’t.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:11 - Apr 7 with 3157 viewsbenrhyddingblue

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 19:56 - Apr 7 by southnorfolkblue

Talking of closed shop, presumably there wouldn’t be much incentive for someone to take out membership for the first time next season, because they’ll rank behind existing members for points?

It’s a chance you take. But why shouldn’t those who have been regulars at away games this season and in League One last season have priority? It’s not complicated and I really don’t understand why this debate is still going on - apart from in the context of the club own goal with the Norwich game.
Login to get fewer ads

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:23 - Apr 7 with 3100 viewssouthnorfolkblue

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:11 - Apr 7 by benrhyddingblue

It’s a chance you take. But why shouldn’t those who have been regulars at away games this season and in League One last season have priority? It’s not complicated and I really don’t understand why this debate is still going on - apart from in the context of the club own goal with the Norwich game.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but the Club surely wants to attract new fans as well? It's the price of success I suppose. A lot of newcomers will soon disappear if we don't consider on an upward trajectory

Poll: Our final position

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:25 - Apr 7 with 3097 viewsitfcjoe

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 19:56 - Apr 7 by southnorfolkblue

This sort of thing is the price of success, my eldest is desperate to go to away games but have managed to get him to one with me this year, I doubt I’ll ever be able to get him up to my level of points, and then my youngest is a couple of years below him and will want to start, and if he does my ST holding wife will - the reality of what happens if success stays is I end up slipping back as can’t miss too much family time, actual reality is we slide back from success and then they can join me!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:34 - Apr 7 with 3031 viewsMullet

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:25 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

This sort of thing is the price of success, my eldest is desperate to go to away games but have managed to get him to one with me this year, I doubt I’ll ever be able to get him up to my level of points, and then my youngest is a couple of years below him and will want to start, and if he does my ST holding wife will - the reality of what happens if success stays is I end up slipping back as can’t miss too much family time, actual reality is we slide back from success and then they can join me!

This happened in 00/01 from memory too. Lots of people wanting to see Man United come to town etc. Lots of your unstereotypical fans shall we say, turning up etc.

One thing that will be interesting is how many people will drop down brackets when the League One season's points are taken off in the summer. Can't imagine it'll be many now the extent of buying up tickets and not going yourself has been discussed.

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 21:21 - Apr 7 with 2883 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:34 - Apr 7 by Mullet

This happened in 00/01 from memory too. Lots of people wanting to see Man United come to town etc. Lots of your unstereotypical fans shall we say, turning up etc.

One thing that will be interesting is how many people will drop down brackets when the League One season's points are taken off in the summer. Can't imagine it'll be many now the extent of buying up tickets and not going yourself has been discussed.

I guess there will be another fee to join the club again!
Totally knew there wasn’t any chance of newbies getting a Norwich ticket!

And I didn’t take into account- celebrities and friends getting 400 tickets
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:03 - Apr 7 with 2764 viewsPlums

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:34 - Apr 7 by Mullet

This is where I am now. I refuse to pay £70 for a place in a queue for my daughter and I so will just pick up tickets where I can. I've done 45 years and am old and grey enough to know that I'll be able to go loads of times when the wheel turns downwards again (I'm not wishing for that BTW) and the points gatherers are no longer interested.

It's so depressing seeing endless threads on here about loyalty points rather than football.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 14:10 - Apr 8 with 2271 viewsMullet

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:03 - Apr 7 by Plums

This is where I am now. I refuse to pay £70 for a place in a queue for my daughter and I so will just pick up tickets where I can. I've done 45 years and am old and grey enough to know that I'll be able to go loads of times when the wheel turns downwards again (I'm not wishing for that BTW) and the points gatherers are no longer interested.

It's so depressing seeing endless threads on here about loyalty points rather than football.

It really is isn't it? A tension that's been simmering for a while over Norwich given some were presumably gaming the system to get a ticket. Likewise how many were sold on for a profit? All things you wouldn't bother speculating on normally.

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 20:35 - Apr 8 with 1962 viewsStadiumofdark

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:03 - Apr 7 by Plums

What you doing Sat, beer before the game?
[Post edited 8 Apr 20:38]
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:04 - Apr 8 with 1756 viewsitfcsuth

I don’t understand the issue regarding ticketing for the Norwich game.

Standard practice for there to be an allocation for players, staff and commercial partners, and they will all be snapped up for Norwich of course.

Can someone fill in the blanks for me if I’m missing something?
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:50 - Apr 8 with 1640 viewsSarge

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:04 - Apr 8 by itfcsuth

Standard practice for there to be an allocation for players, staff and commercial partners, and they will all be snapped up for Norwich of course.

The accusation is that there were 400 such tickets and 1600 ‘actual fans’. Meaning that 20% of the travelling support was comprised of people who:
a) haven’t accumulated the 25+ points required to even get close to getting a ticket
b) may have little to no interest in the game itself
c) may not contribute to the atmosphere
d) all of the above

The issue isn’t the practice, it seems more that it’s the sheer numbers for such a highly sought after, and hugely important fixture. 20% to me seems like a very high proportion.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:59 - Apr 8 with 1598 viewsbackwaywhen

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:04 - Apr 8 by itfcsuth

It’s the quantity if 400 is to be believed, 20% of our allocated tickets , ridiculous amount and just doesn’t sit right with majority of fans .
How many were at Blackburn I wonder ? ……20 tops if any at all .
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 08:17 - Apr 9 with 1256 viewsBLUEBEAT

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:50 - Apr 8 by Sarge

The accusation is that there were 400 such tickets and 1600 ‘actual fans’. Meaning that 20% of the travelling support was comprised of people who:
a) haven’t accumulated the 25+ points required to even get close to getting a ticket
d) all of the above

The issue isn’t the practice, it seems more that it’s the sheer numbers for such a highly sought after, and hugely important fixture. 20% to me seems like a very high proportion.

All of this.

Also, no mention of a percentage being held back in membership T&Cs. Breach!

Poll: W or W

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 08:35 - Apr 9 with 1176 viewsElephantintheRoom

It’s a football today issue. Season tickets themselves cut hundreds if not thousands of fans adrift from the club simply because they can’t or don’t want to go to every game. It’s a good problem to have from the franchise’s point of view - and there are no easy answers.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 08:59 - Apr 9 with 1091 viewsazuremerlangus

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 08:35 - Apr 9 by ElephantintheRoom

It’s a football today issue. Season tickets themselves cut hundreds if not thousands of fans adrift from the club simply because they can’t or don’t want to go to every game. It’s a good problem to have from the franchise’s point of view - and there are no easy answers.

Season ticket seat official re-selling goes some way to fix this. Pompey’s system only gives £5 back to the seat owner when they can’t/won’t attend if it gets re-sold, meaning it makes no financial sense to underuse your seat. I would have thought the vast majority of ST holders make full use of their tickets and still will in the future.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 09:49 - Apr 9 with 957 viewsitfcsuth

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 22:50 - Apr 8 by Sarge

d) all of the above

I understand that, I don't know where or if the actual figure is 400, but yes, that would seem like a large allocation.

Although I would say, all players, staff & commercial partners would receive an allocation of 2-4 tickets for all away games, naturally they are going to be snapped up for the biggest away day of the season.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 10:22 - Apr 9 with 878 viewsCrayonKing

The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 08:17 - Apr 9 by BLUEBEAT

All of this.

Also, no mention of a percentage being held back in membership T&Cs. Breach!

This is the key part for me. Once you start charging for priority access to tickets, with strict rules about who can buy them and when, then you can't go letting large numbers of people circumvent that. It's a slap in the face to those who've paid for membership and accumulated the points.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 10:49 - Apr 9 with 804 viewslongtimefan

"It rewards those who go to most away games but only if they pay an extra £40 for the privilege of having their attendance recognised."

I really don't get this attitude. If you want to go to away matches the membership is a no-brainer. If you're not a season ticket holder and want tickets for home matches the membership is a no-brainer. For an away match where you're likely spending at least £75 on ticket, travel and food/drink so it really doesn't work out as much of an overhead if you attend even semi-regularly. No one seemed to complain about the Goldcard (cheaper I know) previously, which was also a necessity if you wanted to guarantee tickets for low capacity away grounds.
The big own goal regarding ticketgate is the potential of the playoffs isn't it? on 11:24 - Apr 9 with 723 viewsDinDjarin

If there are another alleged 400 tickets given away to happy clapper day trippers for any play off semi final resulting in lots of fans missing out who have put in the hard yards then that would create another shiite storm.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024