Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Al Hamadi 12:16 - Mar 30 with 2838 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I was thinking this before kick off yesterday whilst watching the rain. What does everyone feel the plan is with Al-Hamadi?

His play is so different to what we have in Moore and Hurst, playing off the shoulder of the last defender, not really made for holding the ball up. I wonder if we had it in mind to convert him into a natural replacement for Burns, but the failure to get Gallagher has meant we've had to employ him as a striker from the bench for now?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 12:20 - Mar 30 with 2770 viewsBloots

....3 different types of CF really.

A "hold up" big man - Moore
A "on the last man" runner - AAH
A "fox in the box" finisher - Nobody currently

Horses for courses innit.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Al Hamadi on 12:22 - Mar 30 with 2743 viewstextbackup

Not seen anything remotely like the pace and directness from AAH to Burns. Personally think you either have that or you don’t, and I don’t see he has.

I’m sure our excellent manager has a plan for him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 12:23 - Mar 30 with 2737 viewstextbackup

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 12:20 - Mar 30 by Bloots

Fox in the box - Chaplin (but he’s not a striker) so I don’t know where we are with that

Al Hamadi on 12:23 - Mar 30 with 2733 viewsLankHenners

Think he's here to add a bit of variety to the striking 'team'. McKenna always talks about adding different attributes and qualities to the squad and he certainly does that.

Probably wasn't our top target in the window as it's quite a large step up to go from League Two to promotion-chasing Championship but the opportunity arose to sign him and we took it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 12:23 - Mar 30 with 2728 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Totally get that, it's just with our style of play, which McK seems to go hand in hand with, that means that AAH would struggle to ever be considered a starter and lead the line regularly.

And given the investment in him, that seems unlikely

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Al Hamadi on 12:27 - Mar 30 with 2661 viewsBarcaBlue

I don't see it could have been seen as a Burns backup. More a longer term project and possibly as part of a front two when chasing games at the moment, or giving Moore a rest if we're more comfortable. He's not yet an ideal striker to bring on to close out matches but hopefully that will come. Yesterday was just down to a case of a lack of alternatives I guess.
I think the ideal squad would have.... on 12:31 - Mar 30 with 2604 viewsGeoffSentence

AAH has been pretty foxy in the boxy.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Al Hamadi on 12:33 - Mar 30 with 2581 viewsLord_Lucan

Plan C innit.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Al Hamadi on 12:33 - Mar 30 with 2581 viewsMookamoo

Isn't he the natural replacement for Jackson, assuming he will move on at the end of the season.

Can play, or with a bit of coaching, play anywhere up front. Used to stretch teams and offer an option of running in behind.

Jackson has been pretty good wide right when needed and that is down to a lot of hard work from the coaches and the player. I would expect the same will be happening at the moment with Al-Hamadi. He seems the type of player that wants to learn.
Al Hamadi on 13:39 - Mar 30 with 2286 viewsNthQldITFC

He seemed to be looking for space to receive the ball between the defenders yesterday without being in a position to actually receive the ball given where it was having to come from. I think he's strong, quick and awkward enough to play right on the shoulder of a centre-back and hustle and bustle.

One or two he'll get them turned and shoulder to shoulder in which case his speed and strength will give him a chance of going through, other times he'll prevent a clean clearance from the CB and then we're looking for our 10 to pick up loose bits and pieces and move through a disrupted back line.

Yesterday, I think he was trying to play a role he's not yet quite ready for, rather than playing to his strengths.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 13:46 - Mar 30 with 2245 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 12:23 - Mar 30 by textbackup

Fox in the box - Chaplin (but he’s not a striker) so I don’t know where we are with that

Chaplin had always played up top until he came here. https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/21872804.i-definitely-want-more

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Al Hamadi on 13:49 - Mar 30 with 2225 viewsNutkins_Return

He's a plan B/longer term project.

He would be completely unsuited to the Burns role. Not a fantastic footballer at this point and doesn't have the attributes. Position would constantly be turned over.

He's a live wire with decent pace and size who will pester defenders and throw his body in the mix and sniff out goals.

He'll get better at gold up etc but I see him as a different option and for the next 12 months probably mostly off the bench. May even get loaned out next season but for now he's super useful.
I think the ideal squad would have.... on 13:53 - Mar 30 with 2200 viewstextbackup

I think the ideal squad would have.... on 13:46 - Mar 30 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Chaplin had always played up top until he came here. https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/21872804.i-definitely-want-more

(Don’t have the link) but he’s said countless times he’s not a striker (whilst playing for town)

Al Hamadi on 16:55 - Mar 31 with 1672 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Thought his pressing wasn't great , no acceleration into the final 2 metres, looked a bit aimless overall....
Al Hamadi on 17:05 - Mar 31 with 1614 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I like him off the left in the inside forward role and think he may be a better fit there than Broadhead for those tough away games which Broady I’m not sure enjoys too much.

At AFCW he spent a lot of time playing a second striker off a target man, making runs in behind and playing off them. I’m not sure I see him as an out and out number 9.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Al Hamadi on 17:42 - Mar 31 with 1474 viewsFrimleyBlue

Maybe not a player with a long term plan here but one who is handy short term but more of a player trading opportunity.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Al Hamadi on 18:00 - Mar 31 with 1416 viewsredrickstuhaart

Al Hamadi on 16:55 - Mar 31 by AndrewRatcliffITFC

Thought his pressing wasn't great , no acceleration into the final 2 metres, looked a bit aimless overall....

You dont accelerate into the final 2 metres unless you are convinced you can win the ball. That gives the opponent the chance to sidestep. Basic coaching!
Al Hamadi on 20:34 - Mar 31 with 1176 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Al Hamadi on 18:00 - Mar 31 by redrickstuhaart

You dont accelerate into the final 2 metres unless you are convinced you can win the ball. That gives the opponent the chance to sidestep. Basic coaching!

Incorrect, Ipswich press to win the ball high up the field or to force errors so you absolutely do need to press with acceleration and conviction, there is a difference between pressing and holding play. Much of the time Hamadi was jogging around into holding positions.
Al Hamadi on 22:04 - Apr 1 with 865 viewsNutkins_Return

Al Hamadi on 17:05 - Mar 31 by TRUE_BLUE123

I like him off the left in the inside forward role and think he may be a better fit there than Broadhead for those tough away games which Broady I’m not sure enjoys too much.

At AFCW he spent a lot of time playing a second striker off a target man, making runs in behind and playing off them. I’m not sure I see him as an out and out number 9.

Amazes me how many people think Al Hamadi would suit a wide role. He doesn't have the technical ability for that role. That's not a criticism. He's very raw. He's an instinctive striker with great energy and very quick to pounce on things. He isn't a dribbler, box of tricks, head up and vision type player at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024