Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
81 points from 38 Championship games... 11:39 - Mar 20 with 3076 viewsLinners

I mean, that's insane isn't it?

Eight games to go and our PPG average has us getting the same number of points as last season in League One, with largely the same squad.

I know it might still end in heartbreak, but...wow...
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 11:55 - Mar 20 with 2991 viewstextbackup

I saw a load of ncfc fans on Twitter discussing how they need 75/76/77 points to hit the playoffs… with 8 games to go.

Didn’t even feel the need to reply, just smiled to myself

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:02 - Mar 20 with 2669 viewsBluePG

At the current run rate we’ll get 98 points, and could finish third.

The previous highest points tally (in past 15 seasons) for such a position is 89 points, and average for second place is 83 points. Relentlessly bonkers.

Poll: Best Dane?

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:27 - Mar 20 with 2581 viewsVegtablue

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:02 - Mar 20 by BluePG

The previous highest points tally (in past 15 seasons) for such a position is 89 points, and average for second place is 83 points. Relentlessly bonkers.

Think I read on here that the highest ever 3rd place finish in Div Two is 93 points, so I'm gunning for history at the very least and further spotlight on our broken English pyramid (cue us breaking the points total but finishing 4th 😅).

Edit: Zx1988 is right, it's 90 points. Sunderland, 97/98 season, promoted in playoffs. Charlton finished 4th on 88 points, what a year. Below is a great site for viewing this stuff:

https://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/final/indexftables.html
[Post edited 20 Mar 14:45]
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:29 - Mar 20 with 2570 viewsZx1988

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:02 - Mar 20 by BluePG

Running the stats back to the start of football in 1992, you get the following for 1st/2nd/3rd:

Highest: 106/93/90
Lowest: 81/79/74
Average: 94/87/83

No team scoring 93pts or higher has ever failed to go up automatically and, in one of the seasons, we'd have been league champions already.

You can't help but laugh sometimes.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:50 - Mar 20 with 2504 viewsitfcjoe

Other seasons

91/92 title winners - 84 points

Best season under Burley points wise (99/2000) - 87 points

Joe Royle team that came 3rd - 85 points

2014/15 play off season - 78 points

ALl the below adjusted to 3 points for a win and 46 game seasons

1981/82 - 91 points

1980/81 - 87 points

1967/68 Div 2 title winning team - 89 points

1961/62 English Champions - 88 points

1960/61 Div 2 winners - 93 points

Effectively 4 wins from here makes it our best ever season points wise in the top 2 tiers

Best seasons in 3rd tier (adjusted as above)
1953/54 - 100 points
1955/56 - 89 points
1956/57 - 84 points
2022/23 - 98 points

Funny that we've had 4 good seasons in last 20 years

2004/05 - 85 points to come 3rd which is very high
2014/15 - 78 points to come 6th which is very high
2022/23 - 98 points to come 2nd which is ludicrous
2023/24 - ?? points to come ?? which will be ludicrous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 15:55 - Mar 20 with 2344 viewsFrimleyBlue

I had a go at the latest fm24 with the update.
Made 0 new signings as Travis. Moore etc already part of squad as per the update.

Finished 3rd on 98 points behind Leeds and Leicester.
Fkers.
Got Coventry in play off semi.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 16:13 - Mar 20 with 2286 viewsHerbivore

Any other season and we'd be coasting to autos, another three wins from eight games would be enough. Absolutely crazy that we may have to reach or get very close to 100 points to seal promotion. We're already very close to surpassing the totals that Nodge and Saints got in the early 2010s as the last two sides to secure back to back promotions. By any measure we've had a ridiculously good season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 17:27 - Mar 20 with 2128 viewsgainsboroughblue

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 15:55 - Mar 20 by FrimleyBlue

I had a go at the latest fm24 with the update.
Made 0 new signings as Travis. Moore etc already part of squad as per the update.

Finished 3rd on 98 points behind Leeds and Leicester.
Fkers.
Got Coventry in play off semi.

Town players got a massive ability upgrade on the last update.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 17:31 - Mar 20 with 2111 viewsChurchman

Bonkers.

Whatever we do between now and the end of the season and regardless of which division we are in 2024/5, this season (and last) have been extraordinary. It’s not just the numbers, but the way we’ve gone about it.

I never thought I’d see an Ipswich team doing this. Never thought I’d see the ground full on a regular basis again. We are moving forward. Growing.

I’m loving it.
[Post edited 20 Mar 23:51]
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 21:05 - Mar 20 with 1805 viewsLeaky

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 17:31 - Mar 20 by Churchman

Bonkers.

Whatever we do between now and the end of the season and regardless of which division we are in 2024/5, this season (and last) have been extraordinary. It’s not just the numbers, but the way we’ve gone about it.

I never thought I’d see an Ipswich team doing this. Never thought I’d see the ground full on a regular basis again. We are moving forward. Growing.

I’m loving it.
[Post edited 20 Mar 23:51]

Also a plus the number of neutrals & plastics from sky wanting to watch us on tv
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 21:11 - Mar 20 with 1795 viewsDubtractor

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 16:13 - Mar 20 by Herbivore

Any other season and we'd be coasting to autos, another three wins from eight games would be enough. Absolutely crazy that we may have to reach or get very close to 100 points to seal promotion. We're already very close to surpassing the totals that Nodge and Saints got in the early 2010s as the last two sides to secure back to back promotions. By any measure we've had a ridiculously good season.

Lets be honest - if we were offered 81 points total at the start of the season, almost every one off us would have been delighted with it, so to have that with 8 to play is remarkable.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 21:25 - Mar 20 with 1744 viewsAviator

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 16:13 - Mar 20 by Herbivore

My take on this is different:

Any other season and we would have far fewer points. And the reason, bluntly, is that the standard this year is crap. Yes, we have done well, but we are not amazing. It’s just other teams have been very inconsistent. Look at the bottom half of the table, it’s unreal from 11th down. And the teams from 5th to 10th aren’t much better. I mean Norwich have lost 13 games and they are sixth.

We will never have a better chance than this.
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 22:48 - Mar 20 with 1614 viewsHerbivore

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 21:25 - Mar 20 by Aviator

Any other season and we would have far fewer points. And the reason, bluntly, is that the standard this year is crap. Yes, we have done well, but we are not amazing. It’s just other teams have been very inconsistent. Look at the bottom half of the table, it’s unreal from 11th down. And the teams from 5th to 10th aren’t much better. I mean Norwich have lost 13 games and they are sixth.

Different is certainly one way to describe your take.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 23:01 - Mar 20 with 1569 viewsStewart27

You are using ridiculous metrics as a stick to beat us with.

We’ve been absolutely insane this season.

How you can view this like you are is obsurd.
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 23:13 - Mar 20 with 1518 viewsLankHenners

At the end of the day, 'consistency' is what gives the teams their place in the league. The teams who are more positively consistent end up towards the top, the ones that lose every other week are right down the bottom and the inconsistent ones are in between. The simple maths of everyone playing everyone twice a season means you can't have many being 'consistent' throughout the whole thing.

It's really not unusual for teams to finish in the playoffs having lost double digit number of games - you've got to go back to 15/16 for the last time no team in the playoffs lost at least a dozen matches in the regular season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 23:15 - Mar 20 with 1511 viewsVegtablue

Yours is quite an easy theory to test. 18 clubs witnessed last season's standard in great detail, so the majority of fans in the division will have well-formed opinions on how the average quality compares to last year and so on. I didn't watch much last year and didn't track the summer transfer market closely either, but the impression I've gained from skimming other forums is very different to your conclusions.

The final statement is patently absurd, given there are only three promotion spots in this league. Highlighting Norwich's losses adds nothing, honestly, when this time last season Blackburn were sat in 5th with 15 losses. Millwall were 6th after 38 games last season, on 60 points. This season it's Norwich on 61 points. That Millwall and Blackburn are relegation candidates this year would suggest that the division has left them behind, Sunderland and Middlesbrough also.

The congestion from 12th down is indicative of how competitive the league has been this year. Only Rotherham are appreciably worse than the average in the division, while mammoth totals in L1 for Plymouth and Wednesday has translated into 2nd bottom and 3 points away from 2nd bottom. The worst team notably came very close to depriving us of 4 points. So I agree with you that we aren't amazing, if "amazing" is reserved for the highest standards of football, but it is unsurprising that your opinion is held by very few others.

Lastly, the performances of Championship teams in domestic cup competitions has improved significantly this year.
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 23:58 - Mar 20 with 1371 viewsChurchman

If you say so. You are clearly the expert on standards year on year.what metrics do you use? I saw most of our home games and a few away live but some of the matches over four seasons out of it on tv so I’m no judge. You clearly saw plenty of live games over that time and presume you went to watch QPR when your beloved Norwich were in the Championship.

On the ball city eh?
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 00:41 - Mar 21 with 1334 viewsBluePG

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:27 - Mar 20 by Vegtablue

Think I read on here that the highest ever 3rd place finish in Div Two is 93 points, so I'm gunning for history at the very least and further spotlight on our broken English pyramid (cue us breaking the points total but finishing 4th 😅).

Edit: Zx1988 is right, it's 90 points. Sunderland, 97/98 season, promoted in playoffs. Charlton finished 4th on 88 points, what a year. Below is a great site for viewing this stuff:

And in 97/98 Manchester City finished 22nd. Bury were 17th!

Poll: Best Dane?

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 00:57 - Mar 21 with 1316 viewsgainsboroughblue

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:27 - Mar 20 by Vegtablue

Sunderland missed out in the play-offs, losing that insane final v Charlton.

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 01:16 - Mar 21 with 1303 viewsVegtablue

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 00:57 - Mar 21 by gainsboroughblue

Sunderland missed out in the play-offs, losing that insane final v Charlton.

Ah I've misread the columns on the left side haven't I (little before my time from a memory standpoint). 😅 So the three relegated PL sides in 96/97 finished 1st-3rd in 97/98! In what before today is the record breaking Div Two season. And the one that missed out on automatics was beaten in the playoffs by the best of the normals...
81 points from 38 Championship games... on 01:24 - Mar 21 with 1288 viewsgainsboroughblue

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 01:16 - Mar 21 by Vegtablue

Ah I've misread the columns on the left side haven't I (little before my time from a memory standpoint). 😅 So the three relegated PL sides in 96/97 finished 1st-3rd in 97/98! In what before today is the record breaking Div Two season. And the one that missed out on automatics was beaten in the playoffs by the best of the normals...

Quite confusing on first glance if you don't realise isn't it? Says PL which makes you assume they went up with the top 2. I really like this page though, not seen it before. Shows what happened to the teams who came up or down from the previous season and how teams fared in the cups. Going to bookmark that.

81 points from 38 Championship games... on 14:41 - Mar 21 with 769 viewsJackSted

Any other season and we could've been on the way to winning promotion at Carrow Road which hurts just thinking about it

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024