Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Omari vs Gio 14:24 - Feb 27 with 3332 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Does Omani go down as the best loan we've ever had? Harsh comparison as we didn't have Gio for a full season but....

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Omari vs Gio on 14:29 - Feb 27 with 2450 viewsEddyJ

Lawrence, Fraser and Bullard all had a much bigger impact.

Lawrence, in particular, held a terrible team together and probably saved us from relegation that year.
Omari vs Gio on 14:31 - Feb 27 with 2428 viewsBiGDonnie

Omari vs Gio on 14:29 - Feb 27 by EddyJ

Lawrence, in particular, held a terrible team together and probably saved us from relegation that year.

Not sure I agree with that at all. We're challenging for promotion to the Prem and Omari has been a massive part of that and will no doubt contribute even more between now and end of the season.

Also, technically, Omari's better than all of those you mentioned.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Omari vs Gio on 14:34 - Feb 27 with 2410 viewsArnoldMoorhen

If we are promoted this season then he will be in with a shout.

Alongside Jim Magilton and Martijn Reuser.

Darryl Murphy, Asmir Begovic and Giovanni Dos Santos were great but didn't get us up. Matt Elliott was another superb short-term loanee. Probably the best "Bang per buck/games played" in a futile cause was DJ Campbell.

And then he has to be compared with Fraser, Lawrence, Williams and Celina, as a long-term loanee who adds a bit of stardust. Had Fraser not been hacked down then he would probably be top of them all, including Omari, but Hutchinson has the opportunity to complete the job and out-rank them all.
Omari vs Gio on 14:38 - Feb 27 with 2384 viewsRadlett_blue

Omari vs Gio on 14:34 - Feb 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

Darryl Murphy, Asmir Begovic and Giovanni Dos Santos were great but didn't get us up. Matt Elliott was another superb short-term loanee. Probably the best "Bang per buck/games played" in a futile cause was DJ Campbell.

And then he has to be compared with Fraser, Lawrence, Williams and Celina, as a long-term loanee who adds a bit of stardust. Had Fraser not been hacked down then he would probably be top of them all, including Omari, but Hutchinson has the opportunity to complete the job and out-rank them all.

A little perspective here, please. Omari has started 9 league games this season. He's also been a very effective impact player, has improved during the season & works hard. He's only 20 & still should have plenty of improvement in him. But just because he's been the best "impact player" in what's the best team Town have had for over 20 years doesn't mean we should put him on a pedestal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Omari vs Gio on 14:40 - Feb 27 with 2372 viewsEddyJ

Omari vs Gio on 14:31 - Feb 27 by BiGDonnie

Not sure I agree with that at all. We're challenging for promotion to the Prem and Omari has been a massive part of that and will no doubt contribute even more between now and end of the season.

Tom Lawrence got 9 goals and 9 assists in a terrible team in 2016/17. We finished 4 points above the drop zone. Tom Lawrence single-handedly kept us up.

Omari Hutchinson has 5 goals and 4 assists in a very good team this season. He rarely starts. He is a useful contributor, but not a star player.

Judging them technically is rather subjective. Lawrence scored several wonder goals, if I remember correctly.
Omari vs Gio on 14:47 - Feb 27 with 2339 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Id go with Tom Lawrence. Purely because he was basically doing it all on his own. We might not have been good that season, but I dread to think how much more not good we would've been without him.

We would have gone down more than likely.
[Post edited 27 Feb 14:48]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Omari vs Gio on 15:02 - Feb 27 with 2236 viewscbower

Are we forgetting George Hirst last season here?

bluescouser

Omari vs Gio on 15:18 - Feb 27 with 2163 viewsDarkBrandon

Going back a few years further I’d add Jim Magilton and Jason Cundy, both of whom made a huge difference to us.

Clearly neither were as good as Omari, but their impact on our team was arguably more significant
Login to get fewer ads

Omari vs Gio on 15:21 - Feb 27 with 2149 viewsTractorCam

In terms of pure ability, I would still opt for Gio and not sure he will ever be beaten, he was just ridiculous. Omari is having the bigger impact as Gio was only here for a month when the season was done.

As per cbower, George Hirst is arguably the best loan we've had as he (along with others) bought us up a gear to get us over the promotion line last season. This could still be beaten by someone like Omari or Big Kief this year.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Omari vs Gio on 15:38 - Feb 27 with 2085 viewstextbackup

Reuser for me… however, let’s see what OH can do for us in the next load of games, that could change

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Omari vs Gio on 15:42 - Feb 27 with 2072 viewsSwansea_Blue

The difference is that the likes of Gio, Murphy, Magilton, Begovic, etc., were all pretty much the first names on the team sheet whereas Hutchinson more often than not starts from the bench. I don't see how he can be considered more important than any of them when he's not a nailed on starter. He's certainly a valued member of the squad though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Omari vs Gio on 15:45 - Feb 27 with 2050 viewsRadlett_blue

Omari vs Gio on 15:18 - Feb 27 by DarkBrandon

Going back a few years further I’d add Jim Magilton and Jason Cundy, both of whom made a huge difference to us.

Clearly neither were as good as Omari, but their impact on our team was arguably more significant

Magilton was far more influential than Omari, if less spectacular, apart from the Bolton 2nd leg play off game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Omari vs Gio on 16:23 - Feb 27 with 1963 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Omari vs Gio on 15:45 - Feb 27 by Radlett_blue

Magilton was far more influential than Omari, if less spectacular, apart from the Bolton 2nd leg play off game.

The answer is Magilton by a mile, most people in this thread have short memories it seems, but worth pointing out that he was a permanent player when we got promoted, his loan was the season before

Reuser is of course second

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Omari vs Gio on 16:37 - Feb 27 with 1899 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Omari vs Gio on 14:31 - Feb 27 by BiGDonnie

Massive is an exaggeration. He has played his part but he is not the difference between us missing out on the play offs and challenging for the top two.

Many of the other loans mentioned were very much the big difference to the team. The fact the rest of the team was so far below what was required only makes their contribution more significant doesn't it?

I would say Gio remains the best individual we had on loan. Hutchinson has time to beat that and is certainly not far away. I would say the impact of some of the others including the likes of Bullard, Murphy and Andrews was greater than the impact of Hutchinson so far. However, there is also still time for Hutchinson to make the key difference to whether we get promoted. That will make him the most impactful loan signing but that is also partly down to the quality of the rest of the team. Put the contribution of any one of those other loanees into the rest of this team and we would be above Leicester right now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Omari vs Gio on 16:43 - Feb 27 with 1876 viewstractorboy1978

Omari vs Gio on 16:37 - Feb 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

Massive is an exaggeration. He has played his part but he is not the difference between us missing out on the play offs and challenging for the top two.

Many of the other loans mentioned were very much the big difference to the team. The fact the rest of the team was so far below what was required only makes their contribution more significant doesn't it?

I would say Gio remains the best individual we had on loan. Hutchinson has time to beat that and is certainly not far away. I would say the impact of some of the others including the likes of Bullard, Murphy and Andrews was greater than the impact of Hutchinson so far. However, there is also still time for Hutchinson to make the key difference to whether we get promoted. That will make him the most impactful loan signing but that is also partly down to the quality of the rest of the team. Put the contribution of any one of those other loanees into the rest of this team and we would be above Leicester right now.

Bullard and Andrews are two of the biggest frauds to ever pull on our shirt.
Omari vs Gio on 16:45 - Feb 27 with 1855 viewsSomethingBlue

Jason Cundy was a very important and transformative loan at the time as well.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Omari vs Gio on 17:28 - Feb 27 with 1773 viewsSparky85

For me the correct answer to best loan ever is Magilton. What he went on to achieve during and post loan as a player was great and then of course went on to manage

Reuser a close second.

Honorable mentions to Tom Lawrence, Gio, DJ Campbell, Fraser and to some extent Daryl Murphy also
Omari vs Gio on 18:53 - Feb 27 with 1683 viewsVic

Fraser or Williams (1st time) had more in game impact than Omari so far. I’ve no doubt that he’s a better player than both and will have a better career, but both those two were so exciting week after week while they were with us

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Omari vs Gio on 19:37 - Feb 27 with 1597 viewsjayessess

Wrote a bit about him here - https://jacksaunders.substack.com/p/theres-something-about-omari - for me, he's one of the best development loans we've ever had.

We've obviously had a fair few mid-career loans come in who've been hugely important - Magilton, Reuser, Bullard, even Kieffer Moore right now.

We've also had some good young players - Gio, Lawrence, Dos Santos, Fraser as the main ones that come to mind.

But all of those guys were older and more experienced than Omari, so I don't think we saw them develop in front of our eyes like he has. I also think goal contributions is a bit of an unfair comparison. All four of them came in as the main creative spark in teams that were pretty boring. So they played every week and became our attacking focal point.

This team is much better than those teams, so Omari isn't so central. Doesn't mean he isn't as good.
[Post edited 27 Feb 19:38]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Omari vs Gio on 19:44 - Feb 27 with 1566 viewsWhos_blue

Considering position, time with the club, impact etc, there are some very worthy contenders mentioned already, but I'm finding it hard to look past Magilton.
He was massive on and off the pitch and of all the names mentioned, he is the only player mentioned so far that actually went on to manage the club.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Omari vs Gio on 20:32 - Feb 27 with 1485 viewsChurchman

Omari vs Gio on 14:40 - Feb 27 by EddyJ

Tom Lawrence got 9 goals and 9 assists in a terrible team in 2016/17. We finished 4 points above the drop zone. Tom Lawrence single-handedly kept us up.

Omari Hutchinson has 5 goals and 4 assists in a very good team this season. He rarely starts. He is a useful contributor, but not a star player.

Judging them technically is rather subjective. Lawrence scored several wonder goals, if I remember correctly.

Yes, Hutchinson is in a better team. But they’re a better team and squad because of impact he has on it. Have seen all those mentioned play for us. He is already a better player than Lawrence, Fraser, Bullard, Gio etc in my view. He may, just may be the quality player that gets us over the line this season which would make him our best ever loan signing.
Omari vs Gio on 20:33 - Feb 27 with 1483 viewsSwansea_Blue

Omari vs Gio on 17:28 - Feb 27 by Sparky85

For me the correct answer to best loan ever is Magilton. What he went on to achieve during and post loan as a player was great and then of course went on to manage

Reuser a close second.

Honorable mentions to Tom Lawrence, Gio, DJ Campbell, Fraser and to some extent Daryl Murphy also

It’s classic forum fodder this, where ‘best’ isn’t defined. You make a great case for Magic though. He was best value probably. I can’t think of another loan player who’s gone on to have the long term impact for us that Jim had. Murphy is probably the next best based on that criteria.

Gio wins best quality though, hands down. No offence to Omari, but Gio was at a different level when he was with us. Possibly, he was the best player in the league at that time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Omari vs Gio on 21:44 - Feb 27 with 1397 viewsNutkins_Return

Jon Stead. Was so good he was signed after 1 loan game in which he scored a beaut (best of his career he said).
Omari vs Gio on 22:31 - Feb 27 with 1339 viewsJackNorthStand

I think Hutchinson is now the best loan we’ve ever had. He has not only
Improved the whole team but also improved himself hugely.
Omari vs Gio on 22:50 - Feb 27 with 1313 viewstextbackup

Omari vs Gio on 16:23 - Feb 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The answer is Magilton by a mile, most people in this thread have short memories it seems, but worth pointing out that he was a permanent player when we got promoted, his loan was the season before

Reuser is of course second

Based on Jim being a permanent player that’s why he didn’t get the vote from me.

Reuser at the time was ‘only’ a loan, and I thought that was what the OP was all about.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024