Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Omari vs Gio 14:24 - Feb 27 with 3436 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Does Omani go down as the best loan we've ever had? Harsh comparison as we didn't have Gio for a full season but....

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Omari vs Gio on 00:00 - Feb 28 with 897 viewsbournemouthblue

Omari vs Gio on 14:29 - Feb 27 by EddyJ

Lawrence, Fraser and Bullard all had a much bigger impact.

Lawrence, in particular, held a terrible team together and probably saved us from relegation that year.

Alan Mahon too was different gravy

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Omari vs Gio on 00:07 - Feb 28 with 893 viewsbournemouthblue

Omari vs Gio on 22:31 - Feb 27 by JackNorthStand

I think Hutchinson is now the best loan we’ve ever had. He has not only
Improved the whole team but also improved himself hugely.

No offence and don't take me wrong but you are wrong on this one

He is very talented sure and he has made an impact but we have had other loanees who were bigger players for us, that's just a reality

Sorry to burst your bubble

He falls into a similar bracket to Lawrence, Gio, Fraser, Mahon (who everyone seems to have forgotten), Celina perhaps to a lesser extent and if we are going further back still, Reuser who proved to be very handy indeed

He will be an excellent player I am sure and he is exciting but he isn't quite a first name on team sheet type player yet, even if he may prove to be

I think there's some recency bias going on, coupled with some excitement for a decent season
[Post edited 28 Feb 0:08]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Omari vs Gio on 01:01 - Feb 28 with 854 viewsSwansea_Blue

Omari vs Gio on 16:45 - Feb 27 by SomethingBlue

Jason Cundy was a very important and transformative loan at the time as well.

Andrews and Bullard (first spell) were MILES above anyone else we had at in those squads, so no I don’t think they were frauds. Although let’s not talk about Bullard once he signed. Fraud is then very much on the table.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Omari vs Gio on 03:01 - Feb 28 with 831 viewsHalifaxBlue

Omari vs Gio on 14:38 - Feb 27 by Radlett_blue

A little perspective here, please. Omari has started 9 league games this season. He's also been a very effective impact player, has improved during the season & works hard. He's only 20 & still should have plenty of improvement in him. But just because he's been the best "impact player" in what's the best team Town have had for over 20 years doesn't mean we should put him on a pedestal.

I love this comment because Omari is actually a player who was instrumental in making me realize - starts as a statistic are nearly obsolete in a well build squad in the 5 substitute era.

You don't have starters and subs anymore if the squad is well built - you have openers and closers.

McK makes nearly the same subs at nearly the same time every game. We have been successful in part because we haven't tried to put Burns, Broady, Sarmiento, Hutch into a hierarchy or "depth chart" - we've recognized that it's brilliant depth and found legitimate roles for each of them in a basketball-like rotation.

Hutch rarely starts, but it's not because he isn't as good as Broadhead or Burns (in fact I think he's reaching a level that will make it hard to argue he isn't better than both). It's because he is devastatingly effective when legs are tired and teams are clinging on and denying space. If you have a surplus of options in his role, it would be stupid if you DID start him given this skillset.

I don't think you can easily say he's the best. But only Fraser and Lawrence can touch him at this point, in my opinion. Lawrence arguably kept us up, and Fraser was key in driving a very average team to 7th. Hutch has been absolutely essential (I know that sounds exaggerated, but it isn't - he's done so so much to keep this side where we are) to getting an only-just-promoted team to 3rd in February. I'd listen to anyone who'd argue for Gio, because he was magic - almost like a blessing. But the actual impact isn't the same.
[Post edited 28 Feb 3:04]

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Omari vs Gio on 06:08 - Feb 28 with 786 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Omari vs Gio on 22:50 - Feb 27 by textbackup

Based on Jim being a permanent player that’s why he didn’t get the vote from me.

Reuser at the time was ‘only’ a loan, and I thought that was what the OP was all about.

Magilton was originally a loan, signed in Jan 99 and was absolutely brilliant, to the point that we signed him permanently for a sizeable fee 2 months later

Reuser also signed permanently after his original loan - so I don’t see the difference??

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Omari vs Gio on 08:50 - Feb 28 with 734 viewstractorboy1978

Omari vs Gio on 01:01 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

Andrews and Bullard (first spell) were MILES above anyone else we had at in those squads, so no I don’t think they were frauds. Although let’s not talk about Bullard once he signed. Fraud is then very much on the table.

They both came in and played for their own benefit at the detriment of the team as a whole. That 1-5 Norwich game summed Bullard up - drifted about doing very little work/running and then slapped one in from 30 yards. Andrews came in to score headline goals and get his move somewhere else, which he duly did.
Omari vs Gio on 09:11 - Feb 28 with 718 viewsDarkBrandon

Omari vs Gio on 16:45 - Feb 27 by SomethingBlue

Jason Cundy was a very important and transformative loan at the time as well.

Glad someone else remembers him as fondly as I do.

Obviously a defender isn’t as spectacular as Gio or Omari but he massively changed that side.
Omari vs Gio on 09:12 - Feb 28 with 716 viewsDarkBrandon

Omari vs Gio on 08:50 - Feb 28 by tractorboy1978

They both came in and played for their own benefit at the detriment of the team as a whole. That 1-5 Norwich game summed Bullard up - drifted about doing very little work/running and then slapped one in from 30 yards. Andrews came in to score headline goals and get his move somewhere else, which he duly did.

Bullard transformed Norris alongside him. With the opportunity to pass the ball to someone who wouldn’t lose it Norris played the best football of his time with us
Login to get fewer ads

Omari vs Gio on 09:12 - Feb 28 with 716 viewsTownOnTheUp

Can't believe there's been no mention of the one and only Mike Pollitt. Joined on loan from Wigan in 2006, played one game in goal and was then recalled... but the one game was Ipswich 3-1 Norwich.
Omari vs Gio on 09:51 - Feb 28 with 690 viewschicoazul

Truly amazed that this question could be asked seriously of a club that had Reuser and Magilton on loan. And Samassi Abou.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Omari vs Gio on 10:09 - Feb 28 with 681 viewsvilanovablue

Omari vs Gio on 00:00 - Feb 28 by bournemouthblue

Alan Mahon too was different gravy

So disappointed we couldn't extend his loan.
Omari vs Gio on 11:09 - Feb 28 with 653 viewsDarkBrandon

Omari vs Gio on 10:09 - Feb 28 by vilanovablue

So disappointed we couldn't extend his loan.

Not as disappointed as I was when we couldn’t sign Sixto Perelta
Omari vs Gio on 11:42 - Feb 28 with 629 viewsBiGDonnie

Omari vs Gio on 20:32 - Feb 27 by Churchman

Yes, Hutchinson is in a better team. But they’re a better team and squad because of impact he has on it. Have seen all those mentioned play for us. He is already a better player than Lawrence, Fraser, Bullard, Gio etc in my view. He may, just may be the quality player that gets us over the line this season which would make him our best ever loan signing.

This is where I'm at. Technically he's ridiculous for the championship. He's also 'assisted the assister' lots of times.

Gio was ridiculous as well, but played in dead rubber games that meant nothing.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Omari vs Gio on 13:21 - Feb 28 with 591 viewsyorkshireblue

Depends how you define best... I don't think anyone would say Hirst is a better player than Gio was - but if it wasn't for him we would still be in League One in all likelihood.

Whereas, it could be argued Gio did more long term harm than good (by hiding the squad deficiencies in Keane's first games in charge at the end of that season).
Omari vs Gio on 13:54 - Feb 28 with 564 viewsRadlett_blue

Omari vs Gio on 13:21 - Feb 28 by yorkshireblue

Depends how you define best... I don't think anyone would say Hirst is a better player than Gio was - but if it wasn't for him we would still be in League One in all likelihood.

Whereas, it could be argued Gio did more long term harm than good (by hiding the squad deficiencies in Keane's first games in charge at the end of that season).

Really? That squad had been good enough to finish just outside the play offs & I don't think that Gio scoring 4 goals made a material difference, although obviously he played well against Norwich & was beter than what we had. Plenty of solid Championship players in the team & as Keane said, we needed 3 or 4 additions to make a promotion team. Unfortunately, Keane made the wrong additions & turned the team inside-out.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Omari vs Gio on 17:16 - Feb 28 with 526 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Omari vs Gio on 03:01 - Feb 28 by HalifaxBlue

I love this comment because Omari is actually a player who was instrumental in making me realize - starts as a statistic are nearly obsolete in a well build squad in the 5 substitute era.

You don't have starters and subs anymore if the squad is well built - you have openers and closers.

McK makes nearly the same subs at nearly the same time every game. We have been successful in part because we haven't tried to put Burns, Broady, Sarmiento, Hutch into a hierarchy or "depth chart" - we've recognized that it's brilliant depth and found legitimate roles for each of them in a basketball-like rotation.

Hutch rarely starts, but it's not because he isn't as good as Broadhead or Burns (in fact I think he's reaching a level that will make it hard to argue he isn't better than both). It's because he is devastatingly effective when legs are tired and teams are clinging on and denying space. If you have a surplus of options in his role, it would be stupid if you DID start him given this skillset.

I don't think you can easily say he's the best. But only Fraser and Lawrence can touch him at this point, in my opinion. Lawrence arguably kept us up, and Fraser was key in driving a very average team to 7th. Hutch has been absolutely essential (I know that sounds exaggerated, but it isn't - he's done so so much to keep this side where we are) to getting an only-just-promoted team to 3rd in February. I'd listen to anyone who'd argue for Gio, because he was magic - almost like a blessing. But the actual impact isn't the same.
[Post edited 28 Feb 3:04]

The flip side to that argument is that Hutchinson usually comes on against a team that has already had to deal with the likes of those you mention frequently playing with the full knowledge they will be substituted on 60-70 mins.

Hutchinson rarely starts mainly because he is far more effective coming off the bench against a tiring team. He has improved his consistency and looked better in the matches he has started more recently, though.

He is clearly a very good player and may well prove ultimately to be the difference to us going up. Then again, if that's the criteria Reuser fills the bill already. However, had Reuser played in a team that didn't have any of Magilton, Holland, Stewart, Mowbray, Venus, etc, he would not have made the difference.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024