Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TEAM TONIGHT 08:20 - Feb 14 with 2348 viewseddiespearitt03

What team and tactics for tonight's game @ Millwall ?

I think we should start with a 4-4-2 with Moore & Al Hamadi up front and hope to win the first 65 minutes before the subs come on.
TEAM TONIGHT on 08:41 - Feb 14 with 2267 viewsgeg1992

We're not going to start with a 4-4-2, that's for sure.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

TEAM TONIGHT on 08:41 - Feb 14 with 2272 viewshomer_123

No need to change our approach. It's been working for us for a while now.

I expect to see the same formation and tactics.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

TEAM TONIGHT on 08:45 - Feb 14 with 2247 viewsthebooks

Same as Saturday, perhaps bringing in Harness and/or Hutchinson for any of the Broadhead/Burns/Chaplin axis (of the 3 I’d be least inclined to drop Burns)
TEAM TONIGHT on 08:50 - Feb 14 with 2224 viewsSparky85

TEAM TONIGHT on 08:41 - Feb 14 by homer_123

No need to change our approach. It's been working for us for a while now.

I expect to see the same formation and tactics.

Hladky
Clarke, Fridge, Burgess, Davis
Morsy, Travis
Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead
Moore

Subs - Walton, Wolf, Humphries, Lluongo, Hutch, Harness, Sarmiento, Al Hamidi, Jackson

This is how I think we will line up. Some caveats:
I am not saying Wolf and Lluongo should be or are being dropped. This is just about rotation and Burge needs to come back in sooner rather than later.
Tempted to say Hutch gets a start, but I just think away from home KMcK will stick with the same front 4 from the off.
TEAM TONIGHT on 09:20 - Feb 14 with 2149 viewsJrm_72

TEAM TONIGHT on 08:50 - Feb 14 by Sparky85

Hladky
Clarke, Fridge, Burgess, Davis
Morsy, Travis
Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead
Moore

Subs - Walton, Wolf, Humphries, Lluongo, Hutch, Harness, Sarmiento, Al Hamidi, Jackson

This is how I think we will line up. Some caveats:
I am not saying Wolf and Lluongo should be or are being dropped. This is just about rotation and Burge needs to come back in sooner rather than later.
Tempted to say Hutch gets a start, but I just think away from home KMcK will stick with the same front 4 from the off.

Until I'm proven wrong, I think there are certain 'rules' of McKenna ball that don't ever get changed:

- It will be what us laymen call 4-2-3-1 but I'm sure KMc doesnt see it as that. You wont see 4-4-2.

- Travis and Morsy won't play at same time. I think KMc sees the two DM spots as different roles. Travis is Morsy back up, Taylor is Luongo. Same way we didnt see Luongo and Taylor to my memory when Morsy out, Ball went in then Travis. If Luongo rested more chance of seeing Humph there in Taylor's absence then Travis IMHO.
- On same vein, LCB and RCB separate positions, so you wont see Burgess and Fridge, wont see Tuanzebe and Wolf together etc etc

My team is:

Hladky
Clarke Wolf Fridge Davis
Morsy Luongo
Burns Chappers Harness
Moore

Not what I would do necessarily, just second guessing McK. Expect to see Luongo rested at Swansea if Taylor fit, and Broadhead back in.
TEAM TONIGHT on 09:25 - Feb 14 with 2126 viewstextbackup

Omari over Burns

Hopefully Burgess back in too

(Sorry Dave)
[Post edited 14 Feb 9:25]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:26 - Feb 14 with 2108 viewsSheffordBlue

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:20 - Feb 14 by Jrm_72

Until I'm proven wrong, I think there are certain 'rules' of McKenna ball that don't ever get changed:

- It will be what us laymen call 4-2-3-1 but I'm sure KMc doesnt see it as that. You wont see 4-4-2.

- Travis and Morsy won't play at same time. I think KMc sees the two DM spots as different roles. Travis is Morsy back up, Taylor is Luongo. Same way we didnt see Luongo and Taylor to my memory when Morsy out, Ball went in then Travis. If Luongo rested more chance of seeing Humph there in Taylor's absence then Travis IMHO.
- On same vein, LCB and RCB separate positions, so you wont see Burgess and Fridge, wont see Tuanzebe and Wolf together etc etc

My team is:

Hladky
Clarke Wolf Fridge Davis
Morsy Luongo
Burns Chappers Harness
Moore

Not what I would do necessarily, just second guessing McK. Expect to see Luongo rested at Swansea if Taylor fit, and Broadhead back in.

I think your observation about the CM and CB roles is broadly true. The Taylor injury may move McKenna away from being as rigid in this though and Humphreys seems to be regarded as LB cover these days.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:33 - Feb 14 with 2062 viewshomer_123

My team is:

Hladky
Clarke Wolf Fridge Davis
Morsy Luongo
Burns Chappers Harness
Moore

It is 4-2-3-1 but we look for overloads so rarely looks like it on the pitch.

The left AM sits inside allowing Davis the space to push forward. The right AM sits wide, allowing space for the central AM to work in or the RB to come inside. There's more as well but it is 4-2-3-1 on paper, but with, without the ball and during the transition phases, it is very different.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:35 - Feb 14 with 2043 viewsbaxterbasics

5-1-4 bypass the midfield and hoof it to Moore every time.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:36 - Feb 14 with 2041 viewsitfcsuth

Hladky
Clarke - Woolfenden - Burgess - Davis
Morsy - Travis
Burns - Chaplin - Broadhead
Moore
Return of the Walt on 09:40 - Feb 14 with 2004 viewsblueasfook

You know it makes sense.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:45 - Feb 14 with 1990 viewsExiled2Surrey

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:35 - Feb 14 by baxterbasics

5-1-4 bypass the midfield and hoof it to Moore every time.

Alex Jones on the KoA podcast was suggesting McKenna had indicated there are a few things we might have up our sleeve wrt to tactics to prevent this ridiculous habit of conceding early goals - and he thought that might be 3/5 at the back. That might just be the same players in subtly different starting positions, but it could also mean AT being preferred to HC in that RB role.

In any event, I want to see Burgess in at LCB and I would not mind seeing Sarmiento on the left as well
TEAM TONIGHT on 09:55 - Feb 14 with 1944 viewsbaxterbasics

As a serious answer - albeit at risk of resurrecting heated arguments - I might be tempted to start Hutch over Burns.

Edit - having said that, I know McKenna will have taken a close look at Millwall and made his own judgement over who will be more effective against their defence. So I absolutely defer to him if he ignores my advice.
[Post edited 14 Feb 9:59]

zip

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:56 - Feb 14 with 1903 viewsPMac13

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:45 - Feb 14 by Exiled2Surrey

Alex Jones on the KoA podcast was suggesting McKenna had indicated there are a few things we might have up our sleeve wrt to tactics to prevent this ridiculous habit of conceding early goals - and he thought that might be 3/5 at the back. That might just be the same players in subtly different starting positions, but it could also mean AT being preferred to HC in that RB role.

In any event, I want to see Burgess in at LCB and I would not mind seeing Sarmiento on the left as well

I think we might see some changes with the three games in a week thing, I don't thin k it will be this many but wouldn't surprise me...
Vas
Clarke, Woolfy (wouldnt rule out Tuanzebe though) Burgess, Davis
Morsy, Travis
Hutchinson, Alhamadi, Broadhead
Moore
As I say I dont think it will be this but I wouldnt rule it out! I think Chaplin and Burns could do with a rest and Sarmiento is better coming on as a sub
TEAM TONIGHT on 09:57 - Feb 14 with 1884 viewsNutkins_Return

My team is:

Hladky
Clarke Wolf Fridge Davis
Morsy Luongo
Burns Chappers Harness
Moore

I could see Travis coming in for his energy and tenacity in and away game. Give us Luongo off the bench 2nd half along with the attack lads for the last 30 assault
TEAM TONIGHT on 10:13 - Feb 14 with 1793 viewsExiled2Surrey

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:56 - Feb 14 by PMac13

I think we might see some changes with the three games in a week thing, I don't thin k it will be this many but wouldn't surprise me...
Vas
Clarke, Woolfy (wouldnt rule out Tuanzebe though) Burgess, Davis
Morsy, Travis
Hutchinson, Alhamadi, Broadhead
Moore
As I say I dont think it will be this but I wouldnt rule it out! I think Chaplin and Burns could do with a rest and Sarmiento is better coming on as a sub

The reason for saying that Sarmiento might start is that KM had suggested that might have happened in a league game a couple of weeks back if it hadn’t been for an injury. For me, Hutch is the one who is the most effective from the bench versus starting,but his development curve is so steep who knows…

One thing that gives me a bit of confidence for tonight is that my recollection of the Den surface a couple of pre-seasons ago was that it was pretty good - feels like conditions will not be against us at least (they were definitely a factor at PNE, Huddersfield, etc)
TEAM TONIGHT on 10:22 - Feb 14 with 1733 viewsbaxterbasics

Is Williams definitely not an option still? Though he was due back by now.

zip

TEAM TONIGHT on 10:23 - Feb 14 with 1740 viewsPhilTWTD

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:45 - Feb 14 by Exiled2Surrey

Kieran said he had "a couple of things in my mind that we will try and address" rather than ideas he had up his sleeve as such, as I understood him anyway. Was after Saturday's match.

McKenna: Another Game We Feel We've Done Enough to Win 10th Feb 2024 16:08
Town boss Kieran McKenna felt his side would have deserved all three points from their 2-2 home draw with West Bromwich Albion, the Blues having twice come from a goal down and having come close to winning it via a late Ali Al-Hamadi shot which was well saved by Baggies keeper Alex Palmer. 37

This post has been edited by an administrator
TEAM TONIGHT on 10:33 - Feb 14 with 1628 viewsNthQldITFC

TEAM TONIGHT on 09:33 - Feb 14 by homer_123

It is 4-2-3-1 but we look for overloads so rarely looks like it on the pitch.

The left AM sits inside allowing Davis the space to push forward. The right AM sits wide, allowing space for the central AM to work in or the RB to come inside. There's more as well but it is 4-2-3-1 on paper, but with, without the ball and during the transition phases, it is very different.

The mean position is probably something like this, as you say a nominal 4-2-3-1 although it could easily be defined as 3-3-3-1 or even 3-2-4-1 (Davis being the lad in three places at once!) but it's increasingly meaningless to define most teams with a set of four numbers, particularly us.

HladkyTuanzebeWoolfendenEdmundsonDavisMorsyTravisBurnsChaplinBroadheadMoore
Substitutes: Clarke   Luongo   Hutchinson   Sarmiento   Al_Hamadi   Harness   Humphreys   

Walton Burgess

I'd start Axel tonight to give Clarke's Achilles a rest (but only if that is necessary), and I'd start Travis to wear their midfield down a bit, but bring Luongo (who does look tired to me) on quite early to take full control through the middle.

I'd also try to ensure we have a ten minute warm up period in each half with reduced baiting of their attackers around the box, with targeted long balls into the Moore/Chaplin/Burns area when possible. Broadhead can play a bit higher on the left in that period, with Moore further right. Then go into our standard patterns.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

TEAM TONIGHT on 13:10 - Feb 14 with 1356 viewsNazemariner

I can't see McKenna changing the formation, but I'm not sure he needs to as our approach is pretty fluid.

I'd like to see Tuanzebe given a go instead of Clarke, in what is effectively the right side of three CB's. Travis bought into the middle to sure us up a little defensively, perhaps in a three with Mass and Morsy. Davis and Burns give us the width, whilst Chaplin goes wherever he likes behind the target man Moore.

All sorts of offensive options from the bench should we need them.
TEAM TONIGHT on 13:15 - Feb 14 with 1299 viewssjg

I think it might be time for Chaplin to get the rest and rotate treatment
TEAM TONIGHT on 13:19 - Feb 14 with 1262 viewspointofblue

I think Tuanzebe will play. The question is will Clarke be rested to nurse him through his injury? If so, then Tuanzebe will be at right back; if not then in the place of Woolfenden, as tends to happen for midweek games. Edmundson could switch to right RCB with Burgess coming in at LCB.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Travis in for Luongo, nor switching of the wingers. Could Harness come in for Chaplin as well? I think it’s possible.

So my guess is:

Hladky
Ckarke* - Tuanzebe - Burgess - Davis
Morsy - Travis
Hutchinson - Harness - Sarmiento
Moore

Subs: Walton, Edmundson*, Humphreys, Luongo, Burns, Broadhead, Chaplin, Jackson, Al-Hamidi

* - If Clarke being nursed, Edmundson at RCB and Tuanzebe at RB, with Woolfenden on the bench

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

TEAM TONIGHT on 13:46 - Feb 14 with 1133 viewsGeoffSentence

Don't think the team will be much different from Saturday. Maybe Travis in for Luongo, and possibly Tuanzebe to make start.

Tactically, "GET IT FORWARD", or if not, stick with what has served us so well this season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024