Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian story McKenna and Palace 15:20 - Feb 13 with 5196 viewsIllinoisblue

Probably have to get used to this

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/13/crystal-palace-kieran-mckenna-i

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:22 - Feb 13 with 3975 viewshomer_123

No point losing sleep over it. He is never going to stay forever. What will be will be.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:27 - Feb 13 with 3918 viewsIllinoisblue

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:22 - Feb 13 by homer_123

No point losing sleep over it. He is never going to stay forever. What will be will be.

The sun will rise. The earth will turn. (But I’d like us to get promoted before he leaves)

62 - 78 - 81

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:28 - Feb 13 with 3909 viewsburnbudgiesburn

This is my thoughts on it too. At the end of the day its McKennas choice, if he genuinely is building things here (because he chose this club) ground up I think he'll only go to a top 6 club or Everton/Leeds should they get relegated/fail to go up.

All of the clubs mentioned are at their ceiling and can only go downwards from here.

If he does decide to want out 1 year into a 4yr contract then we bank the compensation, and hope he overpays for Leif Davis. We'd have a tidy wedge to spend for FFP then.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:30 - Feb 13 with 3859 viewsvilanovablue

The least surprising news!
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:37 - Feb 13 with 3791 viewshomer_123

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:27 - Feb 13 by Illinoisblue

The sun will rise. The earth will turn. (But I’d like us to get promoted before he leaves)

That would be ideal Illy!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:47 - Feb 13 with 3672 viewsBlueschev

I love the guy, but nobody is bigger than the club and we will continue to grow regardless. The board unearthed McKenna, I'd trust them to find a decent replacement.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:55 - Feb 13 with 3591 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Exactly. With the backing we have now, we're going to be competitive with or without KM. He continues to be absolutely fantastic for us and long may it continue of course, but we do have to be realistic. If we don't go up, seems pretty obvious that there's a very good chance he leaves. We'll have the pick of managers outside the top tier though won't we.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:56 - Feb 13 with 3563 viewslazyblue

You know it’s going to happen at some point in the future with KMac but it’s still really going to hurt when it does.
Login to get fewer ads

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:01 - Feb 13 with 3520 viewsElderGrizzly

And if he does go in the summer, £4m is nothing to a PL club.

You'd like to think he's more ambitious than a Palace side in decline though and likely to lose their two best players in the summer too.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:01 - Feb 13 with 3517 viewsKeno

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:01 - Feb 13 with 3516 viewsSawtrich

When you read the story there's not much in it. Palace thinking of changing manager (not a surprise). McKenna one of a few managers sounded out about the position (not a surprise). He's said he's quite busy with Ipswich so not now thanks (not a surprise).
I'm sure every club has to have a manager succession plan going on in the background and I'm sure McKenna is on plenty of lists of possible replacements. I seriously doubt he'd leave us for a club we might be swapping places with in a few months.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:11 - Feb 13 with 3426 viewschicoazul

Only way I can see this happening is if they’re in the Prem and we’re not by June. Otherwise it seems a fairly pointless move.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:13 - Feb 13 with 3422 viewsTresBonne

The one sentence that worries me, from Phil's report.

'isn’t willing to leave Portman Road while challenging for promotion'

What if we don't go up then? He's not going to be here forever, obvs, but it would be heartbreaking.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:15 - Feb 13 with 3387 viewsElderGrizzly

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:13 - Feb 13 by TresBonne

What if we don't go up then? He's not going to be here forever, obvs, but it would be heartbreaking.

I assume it will come down to talks with Ashton in the summer and what we can do with the squad too.

A lower PL team isn't a huge upgrade to us if we are still pushing like this season.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:29 - Feb 13 with 3249 viewscbower

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 15:28 - Feb 13 by burnbudgiesburn

This is my thoughts on it too. At the end of the day its McKennas choice, if he genuinely is building things here (because he chose this club) ground up I think he'll only go to a top 6 club or Everton/Leeds should they get relegated/fail to go up.

All of the clubs mentioned are at their ceiling and can only go downwards from here.

If he does decide to want out 1 year into a 4yr contract then we bank the compensation, and hope he overpays for Leif Davis. We'd have a tidy wedge to spend for FFP then.

^^^This

Personally think even if we don’t go up, unless it's a big club, he will give it one more season with ITFC. This season has been beyond expectations surely. I don’t believe McKenna could have thought we would be challenging for automatic. A shot at the play offs would have been more realistic. However, one more transfer window in the summer and we could seriously contend again. Outside of tge top 7 or 8 clubs, the others in the Premier League are always one bad run away from a relegation battle.
[Post edited 13 Feb 16:55]

bluescouser

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:34 - Feb 13 with 3174 viewshype313

If we don't go up then he'll go.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:42 - Feb 13 with 3121 viewstextbackup

I’m certain this works both ways, and MA will have his eye on KM replacement already. He needs to protect us moving forwards if KM were to leave

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:43 - Feb 13 with 3104 viewsEastTownBlue

Palace may look elsewhere in the meantime or they may not. There is likely to be more options for McKenna during the summer than now.
[Post edited 13 Feb 16:57]
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 17:41 - Feb 13 with 2833 viewsRonFearonsHair

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:34 - Feb 13 by hype313

If we don't go up then he'll go.

The thing that makes me think he might not is that the three teams coming down don’t look as though they would be anywhere near as strong as those that may go up. So potentially we could be even more competitive next season than we are now.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 17:42 - Feb 13 with 2827 viewsIllinoisblue

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 16:42 - Feb 13 by textbackup

I’m certain this works both ways, and MA will have his eye on KM replacement already. He needs to protect us moving forwards if KM were to leave

Oh for sure. No doubt multiple succession plans have been made and dare I say it, up and coming managers quietly tapped up.

62 - 78 - 81

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 18:00 - Feb 13 with 2740 viewsMK1

Think they will go for Steve Cooper before season's end, so only West Ham and Everton possibly in the summer. Both big clubs and ones I think McKenna would find almost impossible to turn down. He has to leave sometime, just glad it isn't now.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 18:42 - Feb 13 with 2553 viewsPhilTWTD

Hearing there is something in the story. Whether the situation changes from where it is at present, remains to be seen. Big game for Palace on Monday when they play at Everton, the result of which could focus minds at Selhurst Park in terms of greater immediacy regarding a replacement for Roy H.
Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 18:49 - Feb 13 with 2498 viewsIllinoisblue

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 18:42 - Feb 13 by PhilTWTD

Hearing there is something in the story. Whether the situation changes from where it is at present, remains to be seen. Big game for Palace on Monday when they play at Everton, the result of which could focus minds at Selhurst Park in terms of greater immediacy regarding a replacement for Roy H.

Was (sadly) assuming it was more than just a lazy recycling of existing rumour if the Guarsian were running with it.

62 - 78 - 81

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 18:53 - Feb 13 with 2474 viewsgainsboroughblue

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 18:49 - Feb 13 by Illinoisblue

Was (sadly) assuming it was more than just a lazy recycling of existing rumour if the Guarsian were running with it.

Was also hoping that in the wider footballing community, McKenna's stock had dropped off slightly with our recent run and infamous cup exit.

Still doesn't seem a good move for him just now, even without my blue tinted specs on.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Guardian story McKenna and Palace on 21:06 - Feb 13 with 2206 viewsPioneerBlue

Who would want to manage palace in the Championship. Of course he waits until the summer at which point we may be in the same league. If he wants to go that’s his call. We will have enjoyed the memories. I don’t know why we have to have this chat each week though while focus is on securing our own promotion this season.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024