Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? 18:29 - Jan 23 with 4250 viewsAsa

27 goals last season was it? Been banging them in this season.

One of my absolutely favourite players. Love the guy. But probably his worst 5 of his worst 10 games for Town have come in the last half a dozen.

Thought he was very poor against Norwich and he's not improved since. With Hutchison, Broadhead, Sarmiento all able to potentially play that role, the goals having dried up, Sunderland aside which I hoped would give him a bit more confidence, and Chaplin doing very little to contribute to games at all it was a surprise to see him made captain recently.

I did wonder if it was of getting him to lift his game but hasn't worked out that way. Really do hope he finds his form again soon, but there's definitely a merit in saying he surely doesn't walk in the team now and is at risk of being replaced in the XI if he doesn't improve shortly.

[Post edited 23 Jan 18:31]
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:25 - Jan 23 with 734 viewsRozz

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:03 - Jan 23 by hatch

Doesn't seem miles off the pace for me and it has coincided with a 'dip' in our form too.

Interesting his response to the first half lay off yesterday when he shot it over the bar left foot - seemed angry at [Harness?] for not taking the shot on himself and passing it to Chaplin.

He was complaining about the pass. He mouthed "SOFTLY" on the replay.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:26 - Jan 23 with 743 viewsGarv

Not to criticize the post too much but if you watch him play and how he conducts himself, it's no surprise at all he's the stand in captain. He's a massive character.

Also not sure how you can say he's out of form while deliberately ignoring the Sunderland game.

There's merit in saying his position 'could' be under threat (I doubt it will be) because we've now got more 10 options and they're all playing reasonably well, but I think you're a bit off on the whole.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:31 - Jan 23 with 712 viewstractorboy1978

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:21 - Jan 23 by textbackup

That was clear to see when jackson pulled it back to him yesterday, ball bobbling all over the place from a sht jackson lay off, and CC skied it… you could see the look as if to say ‘just be a better player’

Yep. Broadhead made a huge difference because he can actually play football and has some technical quality. Gave the others someone to link up with.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:42 - Jan 23 with 699 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:21 - Jan 23 by textbackup

That was clear to see when jackson pulled it back to him yesterday, ball bobbling all over the place from a sht jackson lay off, and CC skied it… you could see the look as if to say ‘just be a better player’

And it’s details like like which is exactly why Jackson needs to be, and will be upgraded.

Worked hard last night etc again before people chime in but when you get limited openings at places like that you have to make the most of them.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 22:10 - Jan 23 with 669 viewstextbackup

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:42 - Jan 23 by PrideOfTheEast

And it’s details like like which is exactly why Jackson needs to be, and will be upgraded.

Worked hard last night etc again before people chime in but when you get limited openings at places like that you have to make the most of them.

Yep, small margins isn’t it, if there’s a half chance away from home it needs to be taken more often than not (if you are serious about this auto promotion push)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 23:44 - Jan 23 with 619 viewsdurhamj

Absolutely not.

Loved it last night when Chappers gave Burns a gobfull for not chasing down a wayward pass that ultimately went out of play, but he never tried to reach. Burns was livid at being chastised by Chappers, mouthing off to himself for a while, but Chappers was right.

He's much more than a scorer. Not one to be dropped.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 07:46 - Jan 24 with 540 viewsNutkins_Return

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:58 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

He is desperately missing George Hirst.

He and Broadhead are definitely.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 08:03 - Jan 24 with 533 viewsSteve_M

There's a reason McK hasn't rotated him out of the starting line up and it's because he links so much of our play as well as having that goal threat.

I think there's more of an argument to say that his lack of physicality means he will be less effective in some games - Leicester, Leeds, West Brom - where the opposition are both technically good and physically strong.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 08:04 - Jan 24 with 529 viewsRobTheMonk

Not sure why this has got downvotes...

Chappers won't be dropped anytime so as he's a constant goal threat and is generally pretty clinical.

However, Hutch put in one hell of a performance in his cameo in that position on Monday.

Nice dilemma to have going forward.
A fair argument on 08:08 - Jan 24 with 521 viewsDyland

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 08:03 - Jan 24 by Steve_M

There's a reason McK hasn't rotated him out of the starting line up and it's because he links so much of our play as well as having that goal threat.

I think there's more of an argument to say that his lack of physicality means he will be less effective in some games - Leicester, Leeds, West Brom - where the opposition are both technically good and physically strong.

In practice though, the other options are no more physical, except Harness possibly but Chappers brings more to the party. I wonder if Sarmiento can do a job at no 10 as well as wide. And I don’t mean take over from Sunak before nQolders or some smart arse comments :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 09:28 - Jan 24 with 462 viewsChurchman

Nope. Chaplin is one of the first names on the team sheet for me. A pest of a player, he’s scored 9 so far including the winner the other day. Plenty of assists too. He’s a hard working and doesn’t stop. Great character too.

Leave him exactly where he is. I’ll be surprised if Chaplin hasn’t doubled his tally by season’s end, especially if we can find somebody in the next week to play the Hirst role. He’s a bit of a ‘streak’ player goals wise and will be fine.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 09:40 - Jan 24 with 453 viewsWickets

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:55 - Jan 23 by Sarge

He was angry because the pass came at him too hard and too high. You could see him mouthing ‘soft’ to Harness

I thought it was Jackson and he said too soft ?
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 09:41 - Jan 24 with 453 viewsitfcsuth

No.

None whatsoever. Almost untouchable, the way he understands the role he is in, the smart movement to find pockets of space, his counter pressing, and an absolute sharpshooter.

I like the fact Hutchinson did so well in the 10, I think there was a heavy reliance on Chaplin in the first half of season, was playing lots of minutes as nobody could replicate him, but I think Hutchinson can provide that.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 11:04 - Jan 24 with 403 viewsSwansea_Blue

I understand where you're coming from. He's been largely anonymous for a number of weeks now. The thing with him though is we know he can just switch it on in a blink of an eye - be it a defence splitting assist or a goal from nowhere. Very hard to drop. Especially when Broady has also been off form and Hutch has looked a shadow of his earlier season self (except for his cameo against Leicester, where he looked like he'd re-found his mojo). He's hugely influential in the camp too.

It's been a tough few weeks. Now we're getting players back and as the new arrivals settle in, and once we get Morsy back, I think we'll start to see us settle down again and performances getting back to their best, including for Chappers. Not that we've been bad - they've been working ridiculously hard. it's the extra swagger and spark that needs to come back so we start cutting teams apart again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 11:48 - Jan 24 with 355 viewsNthQldITFC

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 20:28 - Jan 23 by ReusersTown

Nah he was definitely angry at the quality of the cutback, saying the weight needed to be softer.

I believe the word was 'soft', but had it been any softer he'd have been closed down before he could hit it. The bobble was the problem. But I don't think Jackson could have done much more to be honest. The room wasn't really there.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 12:51 - Jan 24 with 323 viewsNutkins_Return

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 11:48 - Jan 24 by NthQldITFC

I believe the word was 'soft', but had it been any softer he'd have been closed down before he could hit it. The bobble was the problem. But I don't think Jackson could have done much more to be honest. The room wasn't really there.

Disagree on whether Jackson could do anything about it. Was technique or careless or both. I think technique. Credit him for looking up and seeing the pass and doing the right thing but top players very rarely bobble a pass like that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024