Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can't see us winning this Saturday 10:03 - Jan 11 with 5604 viewsMaySixth

best player suspended
injuries at full back positions
no champ quality striker

need to ride this storm and very tough run of games and finish 4th

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:29 - Jan 11 with 1668 viewsorfordbuoy

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:22 - Jan 11 by GeoffSentence

I'm not sure about your last sentence.

This time last year our starting lineup against Plymouth was

Walton

Donacien
Woolfenden
Burgess
Davis

Evans
Morsy

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Ladapo

Davis and Morsy will obviously be a big miss for us, but Williams or Clarke are an upgrade on Donacien, Luongo and upgrade on Evans, Taylor or Travis will be decent understudies for Morsy.

Whilst we won't be much stronger than this time last year, we certainly aren't weaker.

Yeah, I knew someone would be pedantic. Give or take a few weeks.
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:32 - Jan 11 with 1649 viewsBondiBlue

It's a bit depressing how quickly some of our fans have adjusted to us being a good championship side and found ways to stop enjoying it.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:38 - Jan 11 with 1627 viewsStewart27

We just need to put a lot of reliance on the 3 behind the number 9. Like we’ve always done.

Sunderland have their own number 9 issues and we’re at home.

I think this could actually be a good game to kick start us again.
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:40 - Jan 11 with 1623 viewsGeoffSentence

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:29 - Jan 11 by orfordbuoy

Yeah, I knew someone would be pedantic. Give or take a few weeks.

I accept that a currently weakened Town team now is weaker than a full strength team that we could have put out then. So you have to cheat a bit to say the team is weaker now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:42 - Jan 11 with 1608 viewsStu_boy

We need yo stick together and run through adversity, Sunderland will also be missing a few players and we have enough quality to be fine
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:43 - Jan 11 with 1608 viewsorfordbuoy

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:40 - Jan 11 by GeoffSentence

I accept that a currently weakened Town team now is weaker than a full strength team that we could have put out then. So you have to cheat a bit to say the team is weaker now.

Can we agree that the side we had for most of the 2nd half of last season was stronger than the side we have for Saturday?

That's the point I'm trying to make.
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:46 - Jan 11 with 1587 viewsGeoffSentence

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:43 - Jan 11 by orfordbuoy

Can we agree that the side we had for most of the 2nd half of last season was stronger than the side we have for Saturday?

That's the point I'm trying to make.

Yes, our weakened team for Saturday is not so strong as the best available team towards the end of last year.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 14:03 - Jan 11 with 1467 viewsBluedandy

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 10:55 - Jan 11 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

QPR and Stoke have been worse and we looked as bang average as they were! The Leicester comeback is the rare moment we've had since before the derby that even gave us a glimmer of hope, and that was inspired and led by Morsy, who is out for two games....

Sunderland lost at Stoke as did Leeds, both in the darkish days of departed Alex Neil.

Under Schumacher, Stoke haven't yet lost and he certainly wasn't of the view that we were bang average on New Year's Day.

I'd also say Sunderland looked bang average against an out of sorts Newcastle (Wednesday gave them a much better game last season).

And without Patrick Roberts or Bradley Dack available this weekend they are a far less threatening force going forward, so I wouldn't give up and throw the towel in quite yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 15:06 - Jan 11 with 1173 viewsChorleyBoy

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 10:32 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

Then lose in the play offs no doubt

Think we should just pack up now and go again next season

Completely agree, though I'd rather avoid the shame of a playoff defeat completely.

Now that we've almost certainly avoided relegation I think it's time to give the youngsters a run out and start again next year and hope Hirst will be back to full fitness by then.
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 15:13 - Jan 11 with 1139 viewsEuropablue

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:05 - Jan 11 by orfordbuoy

As questioned in the thread, and beforehand, should the club have had a better back-up striker or plan if/when Hirst became unavailable? I think it's fair to ask that.

You can argue that Ladapo, Scarlett and Jackson did not step up to the plate - and this was unfortunate. You can also say that it would be a luxury outside our budget to have a Hirst.2 sitting on the sidelines.

Maybe Mckenna has a cunning plan against Sunderland, but on Saturday we will be playing with a weaker team than this time last year.

I think most people don't really consider all the angles in recruitment. Striker is a very difficult position to recruit for especially when your system is one up top. Is there really a better back up striker out there than Ladapo? The only options you have are bring in a raw Premier League squad player who you hope makes the step up (we tried that with Scarlett, but Tottenham totally mismanaged the whole situation), you can bring in a player from the lower leagues who might be satisfied with starting on the bench and trying to won a place, or if you are lucky, you will have a striker in the academy ready for the step up. I would say that KM and MA did what they could under the circumstances. We were very lucky in terms of injuries for a long time, then unlucky with Hirst and unlucky that Lapadapo isn't confident like he was against Cardiff (it probably doesn't help with the supporters being so negative about him), we were unfortunate that Tottenham recalled Scarlett just at the wrong time.
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:34 - Jan 16 with 837 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Well I guess I won’t be asking you for any betting tips…
Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:40 - Jan 16 with 809 viewsNthQldITFC

Would you mind awfully, saying the same again for Monday? I'll give you an uppie if it has the same effect!
[Post edited 16 Jan 12:41]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 15:35 - Jan 16 with 590 viewsBiGDonnie

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 12:40 - Jan 16 by NthQldITFC

Would you mind awfully, saying the same again for Monday? I'll give you an uppie if it has the same effect!
[Post edited 16 Jan 12:41]

We'll file this one under 'people who have no idea'.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Can't see us winning this Saturday on 18:37 - Jan 16 with 485 viewsArnoldMoorhen

We didn't just win, we were the first team this season to take any points off Sunderland after they had taken the lead, and we took all three.

Jackson's finish was great, wasn't it? ;-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024