Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? 13:45 - Dec 17 with 7724 viewsunstableblue

Seen a few threads on potential signings and what business we can do.

But I wonder just what budget and ambition the ownership group are going to sanction, and critically what does FFP do in terms of setting the boundaries.

Are they going to back McKennas higher end targets, as in Premier Ready players who’ll also drive automatic or at worst via play-offs promotion?

I wonder if the jam packed attendances, cup run, merchandise and the guarantee of Play-off attendance revenue and TV, will allow us to be more bullish?

Is there any element of gambling to get us over the line? I sense not.

In short this points lead is significant. A strong striker, AM (Broadhead, Burns and Omari are brilliant, but sometimes we’ve needed more, like yesterday), CM… it could be the difference.

Do we go for it?? Or are the FFP risks and concerns on squad cohesion too big of a concern??

I sense you’d need to let a few go.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 14:02 - Dec 17 with 5379 viewsnorfsufblue

The best late Xmas present we could have is probably a January 1st press release announcing a top striker already agreed that makes us all go "Wow!" And our rival's go #×!@#
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 14:07 - Dec 17 with 5353 viewsBigCommon

Judging by minutes played, I'd see Ladapo and JD as possible movers. Are we giving FL less minutes because of the drop off in standard? Or are we doing our best to keep him injury free for a possible move? Is the drop just FL not wanting to injure himself, due to a pending move? (Am I a massive fanny and just over thinking the situation?)
Said before, that JD has become this season's KVY. A real fringe player now. So wouldn't be at all surprised to see him move on.
I can see us taking an "educated" gamble on a decent signing or two. Lets be honest, just as in L1, we could probably get a player slightly cheaper whilst in The Championship (although, still not cheap, but cheaper).. Once we end up in The Prem', we'll be having to pay extortionate fees for the sort of player we'll be after. It might pay us to take a gamble now and save a bit on transfer fees later on. With the flip side of having salable assets should things take a turn....?
Not sure on a striker we might target.. But the more I look at Ben Sheaf in the Coventry midfield, the more I like him as a solid long term replacement for Morsy or Mass'... Very neat and tidy, but also destructive with a physical, athletic presence, too.
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 5260 viewsPrideOfTheEast

They’ll obviously back McKenna as much as is sensible.

I reckon striker on loan and then 2 or 3 others.
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 14:28 - Dec 17 with 5224 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

one thing that is 99.9% certain - we will never be in a stronger position going into a January transfer window than this season.
I've no doubt the hierarchy did not expect promotion this season, and would have been happy to see consolidation - mid table or fringes of play-offs. What has happened must have changed the thinking. you just do not look a gift horse like this in the mouth. It's come about much sooner than planned, but it just means the plans to buy Premier League quality have happened sooner by at least a year.
Last season has shown that MA, McKenna and the recruitment team know what they are doing, will select ideal targets, and make the best use of funds. I would expect probably 2 (or 3) acquisitions. A striker to rival GH, and a battling midfielder to push Sam and Mass, - possibly two in center midfield. Total spend could be £20M - these have to be as good or better than what we have.
If it all went wrong and we didn't go up, we would have to sell probably Davis to balance the books.
edit: the owners must also take into account that if we don't go up, they may well lose key players and more importantly McKenna himself. So even more reason to back a promotion push. And it will be much easier to persuade good players to come now. The stars are aligning.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 14:33]

Poll: would you rather

POST OF THE DAY on 14:44 - Dec 17 with 5111 viewsunstableblue

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 14:28 - Dec 17 by LegendofthePhoenix

one thing that is 99.9% certain - we will never be in a stronger position going into a January transfer window than this season.
I've no doubt the hierarchy did not expect promotion this season, and would have been happy to see consolidation - mid table or fringes of play-offs. What has happened must have changed the thinking. you just do not look a gift horse like this in the mouth. It's come about much sooner than planned, but it just means the plans to buy Premier League quality have happened sooner by at least a year.
Last season has shown that MA, McKenna and the recruitment team know what they are doing, will select ideal targets, and make the best use of funds. I would expect probably 2 (or 3) acquisitions. A striker to rival GH, and a battling midfielder to push Sam and Mass, - possibly two in center midfield. Total spend could be £20M - these have to be as good or better than what we have.
If it all went wrong and we didn't go up, we would have to sell probably Davis to balance the books.
edit: the owners must also take into account that if we don't go up, they may well lose key players and more importantly McKenna himself. So even more reason to back a promotion push. And it will be much easier to persuade good players to come now. The stars are aligning.

“What’s 99.9% certain is we’ll never go into January transfer in a stronger position”

Amen to that.

10 points is a huge gap. But the competition is fierce and we have Luongo going away.

I do agree that the project is WAY ahead of its timeline. A push for 6th place the hope perhaps

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:03 - Dec 17 with 5031 viewsBigCommon

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 14:28 - Dec 17 by LegendofthePhoenix

It's mad how KM and his crew have shaken this club up.. Without doubt we are well ahead of schedule.. But as mentioned, its too good an opportunity to miss. Even if it means we get promoted, less than prepared for the Prem' , than we might have originally planned...
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:11 - Dec 17 with 4990 viewsFrimleyBlue

I do think the lineup yesterday speaks volumes.

It was the best possible lineup we had.

Now it's done a job. An excellent one. Is it enough to keep this going? I think KM will be pushing for a few extra additions. But real quality ones.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 26 year old plus ex champ maybe prem appearence players coming in.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:25 - Dec 17 with 4920 viewsRegencyBlue

We will have to move some on but I’d be very surprised if we don’t do something significant this transfer window.

An opportunity like this to get promotion might not come around again for years if we don’t capitalise on it.
Login to get fewer ads

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:27 - Dec 17 with 4899 viewshadleighboyblue

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:11 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

I do think the lineup yesterday speaks volumes.

It was the best possible lineup we had.

Now it's done a job. An excellent one. Is it enough to keep this going? I think KM will be pushing for a few extra additions. But real quality ones.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 26 year old plus ex champ maybe prem appearence players coming in.

Agree we have to take this opportunity to get up , our position is better than we will have expected , but it's too good to ignore .
A central striker to take the whole burden off Hirst , a midfielder and also a dominant central defender , we are leaking too many soft goals - that will kill us at a higher level as we won't be as freescoring as we are now .
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:28 - Dec 17 with 4874 viewsMK1

Think we will spend a little, but not stupid. Somewhere between 2 & 4 million on 2 or 3 players. FFP has to come into it.
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:30 - Dec 17 with 4858 viewsIllinoisblue

Davis is the most obvious sellable asset. Young, English, left-sided. Wonder if Arsenal at some point will be in for him. So much of their play seems to come from Saka on the right, they might want to chuck 20m at us for some balance

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:34 - Dec 17 with 4844 viewsstrikalite

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:28 - Dec 17 by MK1

Think we will spend a little, but not stupid. Somewhere between 2 & 4 million on 2 or 3 players. FFP has to come into it.

Think Jan is always a ridiculously hard window to get business done, we'll now be held to ransom given where we are, no club will want to release quality so it'll probably be a Prem loan which is always a risk as often they haven't been featuring for their Club therefore not up to speed..
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:47 - Dec 17 with 4784 viewsArnieM

Not sure what to make of this …. Anyone?

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/12/17/ipswich-town-make-substantial-budget-availab

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 17:06 - Dec 17 with 4530 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:47 - Dec 17 by ArnieM

Not sure what to make of this …. Anyone?

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/12/17/ipswich-town-make-substantial-budget-availab

if it's only £3M, that's not a Prem goalscorer, that's more like someone who is top end L1, or maybe has a few goals in the Champ. Remember when we signed Hirst he hadn't scored at Champ level. So this would mean finding another diamond in the rough, which isn't out of the question, but I'd expect MA to be playing down expectations on the budget available. If we are recruiting for the PL, it's gonna cost more than £3M.

Poll: would you rather

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 17:45 - Dec 17 with 4390 viewsKropotkin123

It isn't about rolling the dice. We have a good squad which they will look to improve each window. They won't want a complete overhaul, as that isn't good for squad stability and morale. We will likely bring in up to 4 players in each window.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

POST OF THE DAY on 17:55 - Dec 17 with 4344 viewsNthsuffolkblue

POST OF THE DAY on 14:44 - Dec 17 by unstableblue

“What’s 99.9% certain is we’ll never go into January transfer in a stronger position”

Amen to that.

10 points is a huge gap. But the competition is fierce and we have Luongo going away.

I do agree that the project is WAY ahead of its timeline. A push for 6th place the hope perhaps

I don't know.

10 points clear at the top of the Premier League next January will be a stronger position, I reckon.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:00 - Dec 17 with 4321 viewsBloomBlue

I think they will roll the dice and spend over £10million, but to help fund that they will sell Davis.
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:00 - Dec 17 with 4316 viewsSE1blue

Traditionally, board games are played at Christmas, so I think they’ll roll the dice in December.

But I see Ashton as more of a Hungry Hungry Hippos kind of a guy - always getting in there first and taking what others want.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:05 - Dec 17 with 4287 viewsRozz

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 15:34 - Dec 17 by strikalite

Think Jan is always a ridiculously hard window to get business done, we'll now be held to ransom given where we are, no club will want to release quality so it'll probably be a Prem loan which is always a risk as often they haven't been featuring for their Club therefore not up to speed..

We also have this modern trend of loans being renegotiated in Jan. If a player is out on loan and doing well, we might swoop offering a better % of their wages and a chance for promotion on the CV. This might be a decent avenue for us.
Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:13 - Dec 17 with 4246 viewsArnieM

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 17:06 - Dec 17 by LegendofthePhoenix

if it's only £3M, that's not a Prem goalscorer, that's more like someone who is top end L1, or maybe has a few goals in the Champ. Remember when we signed Hirst he hadn't scored at Champ level. So this would mean finding another diamond in the rough, which isn't out of the question, but I'd expect MA to be playing down expectations on the budget available. If we are recruiting for the PL, it's gonna cost more than £3M.

But could it be a young overseas player, capable of CC level now and coachable for PL should we be promoted?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:47 - Dec 17 with 4141 viewsNthQldITFC

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:13 - Dec 17 by ArnieM

But could it be a young overseas player, capable of CC level now and coachable for PL should we be promoted?

I think that's the answer, but is dependent somewhat on what overseas scouting they've had in place for the last year or so. Possibly the most important aspect is personality and character which might be more difficult to do overseas, but I might hesitantly say that overseas players could have a tendency to come from a more stable environment!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:53 - Dec 17 with 4101 viewsSheffordBlue

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 18:13 - Dec 17 by ArnieM

At a previous fans forum McKenna suggested the support infrastructure to successfully integrate overseas players into the club was missing. Maybe that support stuff is in place now or they may decide the risk is worth the potential reward anyway.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 20:41 - Dec 17 with 3934 viewstextbackup

I think I read Keither Moore is up for sale.

Don’t really remember much of how he plays, could he be good competition for GH?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 20:46 - Dec 17 with 3900 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 20:41 - Dec 17 by textbackup

I think I read Keither Moore is up for sale.

Don’t really remember much of how he plays, could he be good competition for GH?

I think the model is a player with some Premier League experience who clearly is surplus to requirements where he is and we can get and improve. We have done that with Championship experience while in League 1. That may well mean players like Kieffer Moore who would not appear very exciting on the face of it but may be the right fit for us.

The equivalent to signing Broadhead this time last season would be someone like Nathan Tella. I doubt that would be a possibility though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 21:16 - Dec 17 with 3787 viewsITFCBlues

Do you think Ashton and the US owners are going to roll the dice in January?? on 17:06 - Dec 17 by LegendofthePhoenix

If we're recruiting a PL striker, it'll cost north of 20m.

We will be recruiting a championship striker that can push us towards promotion and the riches that then brings.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024