Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. 10:57 - Dec 17 with 21437 viewsBloots

….in January.

Who are we thinking?

Any realistic suggestions?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 15:15 - Dec 18 with 2330 viewstcblue

Spending it on a loan fee and to contribute to wages would be fine by me, and perhaps quite a sensible punt to get us over the line for five months
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 22:31 - Dec 18 with 2079 viewsportmanking

One of the main targets is someone who played in the Brum Vs Leicester game tonight...
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 22:36 - Dec 18 with 2037 viewsFrimleyBlue

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 22:31 - Dec 18 by portmanking

One of the main targets is someone who played in the Brum Vs Leicester game tonight...

JJ?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 22:38 - Dec 18 with 2047 viewsRRB

Stansfield??

We were in for him last summer before opting for TJJ
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 23:11 - Dec 18 with 1982 viewsNutkins_Return

Emil Riis Jacobson from Preston. Ticks all the boxes. Very mobile 6ft 3 forward. Good finisher and showed he can be a 20 goal man last year.
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 06:42 - Dec 19 with 1835 viewsPioneerBlue

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 02:06 - Dec 18 by Westcountryblue

As previously mentioned in the thread, i think we'll probably end up spending a little more than that. Bottom line is, Gamechanger MUST back McKenna, as the likes of Hirst, Morsy, Luongo and Chaplin are undroppable and desperately need some support. I can see us spending upwards of 15m on 3-4 new players. I'd like to see us go for....

A striker - another all rounder who can provide serious competition to Hirst (won't be cheap !)

A Morsy successor/back up - ideally someone we can develop, but i also wouldn'y mind someone with experience and pedigree like Yokuşlu from West Brom.

Another 10 - an injury to Broadhead and/or Chaplin leaves us in uncertain territory. We need someone who can push them both. I'd like to see us test Plymouth's resolve with a 5-6m bid for Whittaker, or failing that Szmodics. Money talks and i'm sure we could prize away Whittaker.

Wouldn't be against the idea of getting a young full back on loan to cover Davis also.

Don't think we need another CB. Tuanzebe will be a key player for us in the second half of the season, and we are well stocked with adequate back up.

I generally agree with the target areas identified however expecting money to be spent is another thing.

I dont wish to be negative but with ffp we are probably not much better off for head room than when we were in L1. Sure our revenue will have gone up a bit but knowing how player salaries work that headroom has probably been eroded by recent resignings, promotion bonuses, and promotion increases.

Let’s be realistic. We are in the loan market, players ending contracts, or small fee market. The good news is that this approach got us here and we are a more attractive proposition for target and incoming players these days.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 07:13 - Dec 19 with 1801 viewsitfcjoe

Could only be Stansfield out of that lot then as neither side will have any financial pressure to sell key players and we couldn’t afford the wages of any of the Leicester lot!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 07:51 - Dec 19 with 1700 viewsHerbivore

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 07:13 - Dec 19 by itfcjoe

Could only be Stansfield out of that lot then as neither side will have any financial pressure to sell key players and we couldn’t afford the wages of any of the Leicester lot!

If it is, and it seems likely as we've been interested before and he fits the right profile, you'd have to think it'll be as a permanent deal. I can't really see why Fulham would want to recall him to loan him out to a side in the same league where he's almost certainly going to play fewer minutes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:03 - Dec 19 with 1665 viewschicoazul

FWIW I’d rather spend that sort of bread on a CM and maybe a defender. We don’t really need a CF. Hirst is a don and anyone coming in will play second fiddle. Gonna lose Mass and Burg for Jan and Morsy will inevitably get suspended and I strongly suspect Williams is off soon.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:13 - Dec 19 with 1627 viewsFrimleyBlue

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:03 - Dec 19 by chicoazul

FWIW I’d rather spend that sort of bread on a CM and maybe a defender. We don’t really need a CF. Hirst is a don and anyone coming in will play second fiddle. Gonna lose Mass and Burg for Jan and Morsy will inevitably get suspended and I strongly suspect Williams is off soon.

If we lost hirst. We have no-one who can come in a di a job. We don't even have that coming off the bench.

We defo need a striker.

Waka waka eh eh

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:16 - Dec 19 with 1625 viewschicoazul

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:13 - Dec 19 by FrimleyBlue

If we lost hirst. We have no-one who can come in a di a job. We don't even have that coming off the bench.

We defo need a striker.

Nah I don’t agree. Ladapo is ok and knows the system very well, and we have Scarlett. Broadhead could play down the middle too. With a tight squad and FFP we have greater needs in other areas, you can’t legislate for every possible injury.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:19 - Dec 19 with 1614 viewsHerbivore

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:16 - Dec 19 by chicoazul

Nah I don’t agree. Ladapo is ok and knows the system very well, and we have Scarlett. Broadhead could play down the middle too. With a tight squad and FFP we have greater needs in other areas, you can’t legislate for every possible injury.

You've gone mad, fam. Striker is the one position where we don't really have decent cover. Ladapo hasn't had an impact coming off the bench in weeks (if not months) now and can't do what Hirst does for the team. Scarlett has looked far better playing as a ten or a wide forward, he's not ready for a run of games as our main striker. We need competition there for sure. CB we are really well stocked and we have adequate cover at CM, albeit I would be happy for us to add another body there too.

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:19 - Dec 19 with 1602 viewsFrimleyBlue

Neither ladapo nor scarlett have shown they can do the role as well as hirst. So I do feel we need another option. To many times hirst has come off and we've lost our way uptop. Freddie off to Oxford. Scarlett back to spurs I reckon too.

Waka waka eh eh

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:27 - Dec 19 with 1587 viewskiwiblue

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 10:30 - Dec 18 by Westcountryblue

Fair point about FFP, however there is a strong possibility that our commercial revenue is likely to be significantly higher than the likes of Hull and Stoke, who's net transfer spend is much greater than ours. Moreover, we are inevitably going to recieve bids for Davis in the summer and other saleable assets. If promoted, we will be able to reject these, however if not, we can balance the books accordingly.

I think we have to be very careful to bring the right characters in, on wages that will not upset the harmony of the squad. However, we really need to back McKenna this window and get quality though the door that will push us over the line. The likes of Colby Bishop just won't do that.
If it takes 10-15m to bring in 3-4 quality players, then so be it. That's part of the terrority of being a big Championship club.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2023 10:42]

If ( when) we get promoted the squad players will earn good pay rises and should be settled with the right players coming on higher wages and earning the respect for getting us up so should not be a big issue. This worked well last January with Broadhead and Hirst coming in and should be OK again.
Several players will need to depart and likely 5 may go in January for reasonable sums reducing the wage bill by 30,000 a week. Also several contracts up in June so maybe happy to move on and earn a new contract elsewhere.
January is a big melting pot but lets show faith in KM and MA to do the business quietly and in the way of improvement to take the opportunity we have with a view of doing well in the playoffs if needs be.
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:34 - Dec 19 with 1558 viewstractorboy1978

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 23:11 - Dec 18 by Nutkins_Return

Emil Riis Jacobson from Preston. Ticks all the boxes. Very mobile 6ft 3 forward. Good finisher and showed he can be a 20 goal man last year.

He's the type of player we need to try to unearth from abroad. They paid around £1.5m but he'd probably cost you £5m+ from Preston though?
[Post edited 19 Dec 2023 8:35]
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:44 - Dec 19 with 1511 viewschicoazul

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:19 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

You've gone mad, fam. Striker is the one position where we don't really have decent cover. Ladapo hasn't had an impact coming off the bench in weeks (if not months) now and can't do what Hirst does for the team. Scarlett has looked far better playing as a ten or a wide forward, he's not ready for a run of games as our main striker. We need competition there for sure. CB we are really well stocked and we have adequate cover at CM, albeit I would be happy for us to add another body there too.

Hmmmm. Our CB cover is Axel and Fridge and I’m not certain they are robust enough to rely on. Clarke and Leif could go in there but that leaves us exposed at FB. Gonna lose both our first choice CM soon although we have Humph who I’d love to see come in and nail a place down. If I’m right about Brandon we need another versatile defender too. Only so much cover we can have and I think we’re well set for CF.

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:47 - Dec 19 with 1501 viewsHerbivore

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:44 - Dec 19 by chicoazul

Hmmmm. Our CB cover is Axel and Fridge and I’m not certain they are robust enough to rely on. Clarke and Leif could go in there but that leaves us exposed at FB. Gonna lose both our first choice CM soon although we have Humph who I’d love to see come in and nail a place down. If I’m right about Brandon we need another versatile defender too. Only so much cover we can have and I think we’re well set for CF.

We really aren't well set though, we've got Ladapo as the only genuine like for like replacement and he's not good enough. Fridge and Tuanzebe are superior cover at CB for sure and we have Baggott coming through as well and looking good when given a chance. Agree we may need full back cover and as part of succession planning I think a new CM would be nice, but a number 9 really is a must. Surprised you can't see it, chickers.

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 08:59 - Dec 19 with 1445 viewshype313

Ladapo and Scarlett are such a huge drop off from Hirst, no way the club won't target another Striker, the fact that McKenna only gives either around 10-15 Minutes tells it's own story.

Ladapo will be off in Jan

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 11:50 - Dec 19 with 1281 viewsParky

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 07:13 - Dec 19 by itfcjoe

Signed a four year contract extension in Summer, can’t imagine Fulham would let him leave permanently. Whether Fulham are allowed to recall him and then loan him to us also seems unlikely.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/august/24/Loan-And-New-Deal-For-Stansfield/
So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:03 - Dec 19 with 1224 viewstextbackup

Scarlett hasn’t done a single thing when coming on to replace Hirst, he’s looked miles off it.

Ladapo… there is no point, if you can’t see it then it’s a waste of time explaining.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:05 - Dec 19 with 1218 viewsLeoMuff

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 11:50 - Dec 19 by Parky

Signed a four year contract extension in Summer, can’t imagine Fulham would let him leave permanently. Whether Fulham are allowed to recall him and then loan him to us also seems unlikely.

Tricky one, some players understand that they need a home and regular games to progress, even if it means a pay cut ala Hirst.

Would be a great signing and Fulham may be tempted by a decent offer, but I agree financially a tricky one.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:09 - Dec 19 with 1195 viewsLeoMuff

Lapado and Scarlett are not going to get you automatic promotion to the prem, if we lost Hirst that would be a disaster and would derail us completely imho. We need back up and yes it’s a lot of money on someone who may not be first choice but the risk is we lose out on £150m and a place in the prem we would be silly not to, striker, CM and maybe back up for Leif are essential for me.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:09 - Dec 19 with 1193 viewsjayessess

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 11:50 - Dec 19 by Parky

There's nothing in the rules to stop them terminating his loan and sending him somewhere else, it's pretty common practice these days.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:12 - Dec 19 with 1171 viewsHerbivore

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:09 - Dec 19 by jayessess

There's nothing in the rules to stop them terminating his loan and sending him somewhere else, it's pretty common practice these days.

Although can't imagine Fulham or he would want to do that to send him somewhere where he'll play fewer minutes than he's playing at Brum.

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:15 - Dec 19 with 1148 viewsParky

So, £3m and £15k pw for a striker…. on 12:09 - Dec 19 by jayessess

Seems unlikely to do that when he’s played 19 games for Birmingham so far this season and would likely be seen as a sub here. Birmingham were splashing the cash in the summer, so imagine they’re paying a good chunk, if not all of his wages.

I really like him and hope it happens, but can’t see it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024