Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" 08:57 - Nov 13 with 5441 viewsDyland

On EFL extended highlights.

A commentator who doesn't know his footy. We are exceeding expectations, sure, but "punching above our weight" is just incorrect. Get these things right you ignorant numpties.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:55 - Nov 13 with 1354 viewsGeoffSentence

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:04 - Nov 13 by StokieBlue

It's been a consistent theme that outside of TownTV the commentators know barely anything about us.

The ESPN chap the other game was utterly rubbish, had no idea about our players and even said Chaplin was ready to come on when he wasn't even on the bench.

On the flip side, the dedicated Championship/EFL podcasts know a lot about us and generally have good insight. A few even had us finishing 2nd or 3rd in their preseason picks.

SB

It's fair enough that they don't know much about us, the club has been in hiding for 20 years.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:56 - Nov 13 with 1354 viewsChurchman

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:41 - Nov 13 by Pinewoodblue

When people talk about “punching you weight” they are talking in financial terms.

These are the top 5 spenders in the Championship in terms of wages bills.

1. Leicester City – £60,190,000
2. Southampton – £40,014,000
3. Leeds United – £39,513,000
4. Norwich City – £24,196,000
5. West Bromwich Albion – £23,060,000

16. Ipswich are way down the list at £11,378,000.

The top three can easily outspend us in January.

Norwich and West Brom need promotion this year given their parachute payments end (Norwich’s certainly) or surely they’re going to be fire selling their higher earners.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 12:03 - Nov 13 with 1332 viewsTrequartista

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:41 - Nov 13 by Pinewoodblue

When people talk about “punching you weight” they are talking in financial terms.

Weren’t we around 16th biggest budget when MM was in charge who was doing a “brilliant job” keeping us in the division? Confused.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 12:06 - Nov 13 with 1328 viewsScuzzer

The most over used term in football. It means very little. A club is always in the place it finds itself because it deserves to be there.

Established 1968

Interesting equivalent on 12:44 - Nov 13 with 1288 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:28 - Nov 13 by franz_tyson

Didn't we complain when others accused us of buying the league last year? Can't see the insult for a newly promoted club.

Whilst there was a lot more going on than simply spunking money, it was true we had a financial advantage re fees and wages. But yes, "buying the league" as a phrase (applied to Town last season) is as divvy as "punching above their weight" (applied to us this season) :)

EDIT: P.S. I didn't take it as an insult, more an ignorant observation from someone who gets paid for commentating/punditry and should imo be more clued up. As others have said, and I've agreed, it's actually quite a good thing if we continue to be seen as underdogs.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 12:46]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 13:18 - Nov 13 with 1256 viewsdavblue

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:13 - Nov 13 by ReusersTown

The comment is in reference to a professional commentator though, so I think it's fair comment that they should have a better understanding than that.

i don't think 'Johnny the commentator' is going to go into that much depth on histories of a club. Probably not at that level, they should have a broad understanding of the club but they aren't fans who consume every bit of detail like some fans do.

Some of our fans don't consume that level of detail!
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 13:23 - Nov 13 with 1247 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We're sandwiched between three ex-Premier League clubs and it's November, and not one of them has more points than us despite having great squads, good managers and huge financial advantages. This isn't just punching above, this is parting the sea level miracles from Ashton and McKenna.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 14:34 - Nov 13 with 1193 viewsPowrigan

The longer they think like that, the better!!
Login to get fewer ads

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 14:48 - Nov 13 with 1181 viewsRobTheMonk

If you told me that we’d be second only on goal difference in the Champ this time last year, I wouldn’t have believed it.

And if anyone thought that Hladky was going to turn into the best goalkeeper in the league, then you should buy a lottery ticket as you’d have been the oracle.

My one wish for this season was that we were competitive in games. I fully expected us to be around mid table. We’ve far, far exceeded my wishes. Scoring in every game, comebacks, goals galore. It’s a bit chaotic at times, but my word is it entertaining. And ultimately, that’s why I watch and play football.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 15:03 - Nov 13 with 1166 viewsRKD

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:04 - Nov 13 by StokieBlue

It's been a consistent theme that outside of TownTV the commentators know barely anything about us.

The ESPN chap the other game was utterly rubbish, had no idea about our players and even said Chaplin was ready to come on when he wasn't even on the bench.

On the flip side, the dedicated Championship/EFL podcasts know a lot about us and generally have good insight. A few even had us finishing 2nd or 3rd in their preseason picks.

SB

Whenever I catch opposition teams commentary they are often complimentary to be fair. Swansea were for sure.

Poll: Edwards goal - shot or cross?

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 15:50 - Nov 13 with 1134 viewsitfc_bucks

Yes, they almost certainly can (and almost certainly will).

My question would be whether they can spend that money wisely?

I'm fairly confident in McKenna spending well, so let's worry about the January window when it arrives.

A bigger concern might be whether someone starts eyeing up one or two of our assets.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 17:52 - Nov 13 with 1065 viewsPowrigan

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 15:50 - Nov 13 by itfc_bucks

Yes, they almost certainly can (and almost certainly will).

My question would be whether they can spend that money wisely?

I'm fairly confident in McKenna spending well, so let's worry about the January window when it arrives.

A bigger concern might be whether someone starts eyeing up one or two of our assets.

“ A bigger concern might be whether someone starts eyeing up one or two of our assets.”

Least they won’t be cheap like our players were when we were previously in the championship.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 18:52 - Nov 13 with 1018 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 17:52 - Nov 13 by Powrigan

“ A bigger concern might be whether someone starts eyeing up one or two of our assets.”

Least they won’t be cheap like our players were when we were previously in the championship.

Also any potential fees are absolutely chicken feed compared to EPL tv money. Unless the owners/Ashton/KM are supremely confident they can sell to strengthen, I don’t see them taking that gamble (selling key players) in Jan.
Twas precisely my point buh on 07:34 - Nov 14 with 918 viewsFacefacts

Twas precisely my point buh on 10:17 - Nov 13 by Dyland

I agree with others though that it may well help us if anything.

My gripe is really about people being crap at their jobs innit :)

"People being crap at their jobs" - yes, well worth griping about. They just live on their name as former players.

A good barometer of this is the matches being picked for Sky. Nothing early in the season, except Sunderland away. Games picked by people who know as much about us as Don Goodman.

Now arguably too many picked for Sky as they try to catch up. "Too many" - if you think we are best when we fly under the radar, so that no one notices us. Being picked for Rotherham away worked out very badly - could have been played on the Saturday with normal preparation, then no midweek game on 7th November.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:00 - Nov 14 with 854 viewsnorfsufblue

It's just lazy.... the ridiculous thing is that should we be successful and punch ourselves onto promotion then if we get beat in a cup game by the likes of a top championship side it will be a giant killing!.... its all faff, I hope we continue to be devalued along with many others on this thread.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:03 - Nov 14 with 850 viewsunbelievablue

It's true if you consider that we're among the parachute payment premier league teams in the table.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:59 - Nov 14 with 795 viewsGeoffSentence

This one narked me, the EFL extended highlights for the Leeds Plymouth game are titled 'closing the gap'

No, they didn't, at the end of the video they even point out that they are still 8 points behind.

This is something that annoys me more than it should.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 12:22 - Nov 14 with 780 viewsPinewoodblue

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:59 - Nov 14 by GeoffSentence

This one narked me, the EFL extended highlights for the Leeds Plymouth game are titled 'closing the gap'

No, they didn't, at the end of the video they even point out that they are still 8 points behind.

This is something that annoys me more than it should.

If you assume Leeds target is to be champions they have closed the gap.

I’m sure Leeds are looking to keep ahead of the chasing pack, Southampton, M’boro, WBA etc. and expect Leicester & Ipswich to slip up.

In the next few weeks we play all but Southampton of the five teams mentioned.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024