Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" 08:57 - Nov 13 with 5381 viewsDyland

On EFL extended highlights.

A commentator who doesn't know his footy. We are exceeding expectations, sure, but "punching above our weight" is just incorrect. Get these things right you ignorant numpties.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:02 - Nov 13 with 3970 viewsellaandred

Agreed, whoever he was, he was awful,
Not sure which game he was at !
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:04 - Nov 13 with 3951 viewsStokieBlue

It's been a consistent theme that outside of TownTV the commentators know barely anything about us.

The ESPN chap the other game was utterly rubbish, had no idea about our players and even said Chaplin was ready to come on when he wasn't even on the bench.

On the flip side, the dedicated Championship/EFL podcasts know a lot about us and generally have good insight. A few even had us finishing 2nd or 3rd in their preseason picks.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:12 - Nov 13 with 3862 viewsPinewoodblue

They said the same thing about Plymouth last season, long may it continue.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Aye I was thinking that too on 09:15 - Nov 13 with 3846 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:12 - Nov 13 by Pinewoodblue

They said the same thing about Plymouth last season, long may it continue.

Plays to our benefit if any oppo take a similar view... which won't be the case in the dugouts, but can play a part in oppo fans especially at home getting narky with their team if they aren't battering us.

It's just a bugbear... pundits etc. not knowing much... it's loike a bare minimum imo... know your sh1t.

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:22 - Nov 13 with 3756 viewsLion

I know we're the famous ITFC and have always been a big 'little' club, but to be fair, competing with Premiership parachute money and having just come up from league 1 and being joint top of the championship, we probably are punching above our weight...

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Not an unfair viewpoint re parachutes on 09:24 - Nov 13 with 3727 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:22 - Nov 13 by Lion

I know we're the famous ITFC and have always been a big 'little' club, but to be fair, competing with Premiership parachute money and having just come up from league 1 and being joint top of the championship, we probably are punching above our weight...

I'm probably being sensitive :)

You get the point about pundits not knowing much, especially a lot of the traditional media commentators and analysts.

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:26 - Nov 13 with 3687 viewsHerbivore

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:04 - Nov 13 by StokieBlue

It's been a consistent theme that outside of TownTV the commentators know barely anything about us.

The ESPN chap the other game was utterly rubbish, had no idea about our players and even said Chaplin was ready to come on when he wasn't even on the bench.

On the flip side, the dedicated Championship/EFL podcasts know a lot about us and generally have good insight. A few even had us finishing 2nd or 3rd in their preseason picks.

SB

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember reading our aggregate preseason finishing position from across a range of pundits was 5th. So whilst our start has been beyond what we could have expected, for those in the know we haven't come from nowhere and the bookies as well as many pundits had us down as a side likely to challenge for promotion. If anything, our fans were more circumspect about our chances than many of the neutrals.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Not an unfair viewpoint re parachutes on 09:29 - Nov 13 with 3669 viewsLion

Not an unfair viewpoint re parachutes on 09:24 - Nov 13 by Dyland

I'm probably being sensitive :)

You get the point about pundits not knowing much, especially a lot of the traditional media commentators and analysts.

Absolutely mate. Let them overlook us, we know something special is happening at our club 'cos we've got the inside knowledge. I'm not going to start on the subject because it gets me too angry, but i'm extremely over sensitive about Look East and About Anglia and their complete bias to Narwich, so much so that I shout at the telly and my missus asks why do i watch it when it gets me so angry lols

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Login to get fewer ads

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:31 - Nov 13 with 3655 viewsChurchman

Little Ipswich. Who? Most people outside ITFC supporters don’t know or care. The assumption is that the relegated three will go up leaving the dross behind. Good let them. If they believe we’ve had a lucky momentum start and will fade, great.

I never got Plymouth’s paranoia about not getting recognition. Who cares - it makes it easier to carry on doing what you are doing under the radar leaving the Suttons of this world hopefully puzzled at seasons end.

I agree with the post that says podcasters are more knowledgeable in general and so are some supporters of other clubs. Clive of Loft for Words said he had seen the Rovrum game and despite us not playing well he noticed the number of chances we still created and how close we were to winning. He said that QPR when not playing well don’t make the half way line by comparison.

When it comes to it mainstream commentators are interested in Chelsea Spurs, Arse, MU, MC and that’s about it.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:36 - Nov 13 with 3614 viewsdavblue

unless you know our history or are a football nut then what are we known for in the last 30 years? 4 seasons in the top flight. Younger generations just see us as a lower to mid table Championship club who have spent 4 years in league 1.

I can understand the sentiment somewhat, when you consider we are up there with premiership parachute payment teams, and lets face it, there weren't many who thought we would be where we are.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:37 - Nov 13 with 3593 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

We have been finishing mid table in league one for 4 years, and before that had about 12 seasons of mediocrity in the championship.

We have now had the joint best start of any championship team ever as a newly promoted side as well. Fighting with 3 parachute clubs. Don't think its an outrageous comment tbh.

Embrace it

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Yeh I hear that, and the other similar replies (n/t) on 09:51 - Nov 13 with 3459 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:37 - Nov 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

We have been finishing mid table in league one for 4 years, and before that had about 12 seasons of mediocrity in the championship.

We have now had the joint best start of any championship team ever as a newly promoted side as well. Fighting with 3 parachute clubs. Don't think its an outrageous comment tbh.

Embrace it

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:55 - Nov 13 with 3413 viewsChaplinsLob

How heavy are we? Middleweight? Super welterweight?
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:56 - Nov 13 with 3401 viewsVaughan8

I wouldn't get all Plymouth about it. Christ!

Just enjoy the ride. Don't worry/carewhat other people/teams think.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:59 - Nov 13 with 3380 viewsitfcsuth

The reality is we shouldn't be able to compete with Leicester, Leeds & Southampton - but we are because of the incredible group of players, manager and culture throughout the club.

I for one am enjoying the more underdog mentality rather than cash rich club we were in L1.

Long may it continue - think it plays in to our hands.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:11 - Nov 13 with 3329 viewsReusersTown

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:59 - Nov 13 by itfcsuth

The reality is we shouldn't be able to compete with Leicester, Leeds & Southampton - but we are because of the incredible group of players, manager and culture throughout the club.

I for one am enjoying the more underdog mentality rather than cash rich club we were in L1.

Long may it continue - think it plays in to our hands.

We are no smaller than Leicester or Southampton in terms of the traditional metrics that you would judge club size on is the point that the OP is making I think. Obviously we're outperforming where you would expect a newly promoted club would be, but I also agree that it is a bit of a crap and innaccurate comment. It isn't like we're Plymouth competing against us Sheffield Wed and Derby etc...was that how they were referring to Leeds when they returned from League One?, wouldn't have thought so.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:13 - Nov 13 with 3311 viewsReusersTown

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:36 - Nov 13 by davblue

unless you know our history or are a football nut then what are we known for in the last 30 years? 4 seasons in the top flight. Younger generations just see us as a lower to mid table Championship club who have spent 4 years in league 1.

I can understand the sentiment somewhat, when you consider we are up there with premiership parachute payment teams, and lets face it, there weren't many who thought we would be where we are.

The comment is in reference to a professional commentator though, so I think it's fair comment that they should have a better understanding than that.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:16 - Nov 13 with 3290 viewsDanTheMan

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:04 - Nov 13 by StokieBlue

SB

Over on Reddit, there's a fairly decent Championship subreddit. Not The Top 20 Pod were saying they thought we'd do well this year and that McKenna was probably the best manager in the league. Quite a lot of the fans of other clubs, who knew little about us, thought they were all crazy and had us about 15th, with the exception of the Plymouth fans funnily enough.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Twas precisely my point buh on 10:17 - Nov 13 with 3275 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:11 - Nov 13 by ReusersTown

We are no smaller than Leicester or Southampton in terms of the traditional metrics that you would judge club size on is the point that the OP is making I think. Obviously we're outperforming where you would expect a newly promoted club would be, but I also agree that it is a bit of a crap and innaccurate comment. It isn't like we're Plymouth competing against us Sheffield Wed and Derby etc...was that how they were referring to Leeds when they returned from League One?, wouldn't have thought so.

I agree with others though that it may well help us if anything.

My gripe is really about people being crap at their jobs innit :)

It's not being Plymouth about it though is it on 10:21 - Nov 13 with 3248 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:56 - Nov 13 by Vaughan8

I wouldn't get all Plymouth about it. Christ!

Just enjoy the ride. Don't worry/carewhat other people/teams think.

Which kind of proves the point. By many (some/most/?) metrics for ascertaining size/whatever of a club, Town are far "bigger" than them. Anyway they'll be on here now getting cross about being called Plymouth when everyone apparently knows they should be called Argyle ;)

Not concerned at all dear Vaughaners. My gripe is in essence about people being crap at their jobs innit.

Cruiserweight dear Lobbers (n/t) on 10:23 - Nov 13 with 3239 viewsDyland

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:55 - Nov 13 by ChaplinsLob

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:44 - Nov 13 with 3144 viewsStokieBlue

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 10:16 - Nov 13 by DanTheMan

Over on Reddit, there's a fairly decent Championship subreddit. Not The Top 20 Pod were saying they thought we'd do well this year and that McKenna was probably the best manager in the league. Quite a lot of the fans of other clubs, who knew little about us, thought they were all crazy and had us about 15th, with the exception of the Plymouth fans funnily enough.

NTT20 is good.

The Second Tier is also pretty good and they actually had us 2nd in their predictions (well 2nd and 3rd but they settled on 2nd between them).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:24 - Nov 13 with 2989 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 09:55 - Nov 13 by ChaplinsLob

At least one category lower than when we had Norwood

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:28 - Nov 13 with 2965 viewsfranz_tyson

Didn't we complain when others accused us of buying the league last year? Can't see the insult for a newly promoted club.
"Ipswich continue to punch above their weight" on 11:41 - Nov 13 with 2864 viewsPinewoodblue

When people talk about “punching you weight” they are talking in financial terms.

These are the top 5 spenders in the Championship in terms of wages bills.

1. Leicester City – £60,190,000
2. Southampton – £40,014,000
3. Leeds United – £39,513,000
4. Norwich City – £24,196,000
5. West Bromwich Albion – £23,060,000

16. Ipswich are way down the list at £11,378,000.

The top three can easily outspend us in January.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024