Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently 09:30 - Oct 25 with 4117 viewsle2blue

Does he actually live in the town or visit? He constantly talks down the place and whilst, like every town, there is work to do to improve, surely that starts with being positive and creating an inclusive environment, not this xenophobic rubbish...

He should take note of the fantastic work of our marvellous community-focused and inclusive football club which we can all be proud of, the contrast is quite stark.

Look forward to the good people of Ipswich having a local resident (edit, as in physically living there!) person representing them and being proud of the town.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 10:23]
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 09:41 - Oct 25 with 3383 viewsBlueschev

He's just confused as he int familiar with the local accents, buh.
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 10:00 - Oct 25 with 3321 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's such a disgusting person. When the time comes, do the right thing Ipswich and send the tosser back to the hole he crawled out of without his deposit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 10:55 - Oct 25 with 3211 viewsbluelagos

3 pms and not a sniff of a ministerial role for Mr Hunt. Just how fcking useless have you got to be?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:07 - Oct 25 with 3168 viewsEastTownBlue

Probably more of the same from ever delightful Tom on the BBC today.

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:08 - Oct 25 with 3173 viewsle2blue

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 10:55 - Oct 25 by bluelagos

3 pms and not a sniff of a ministerial role for Mr Hunt. Just how fcking useless have you got to be?

Very.

My point is less about politics, right now the the town needs someone to champion it and the county, something the football club and even Ed Sheeran are doing fantastically well. What it doesn't need is some part-time, dog-whistling xenophobic tw@t constantly running it down or giving false narratives about the place...now is the time for him to be talking up to encourage investment and visitors.

When Kieran leads us to the promised land with an Elkan Baggott header clinching it at Carrott Road, we will be inundated with tourists from Indonesia next season, how will he cope then with not being able to hear grammar school voices?
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:11 - Oct 25 with 3142 viewsDubtractor

Hard agree with the OP.

It would be naive to suggest that immigration doesn't come with a number of challenges, but how about working to help solve them rather than use them to stir up ill feeling in the town he is supposed to represent.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:17 - Oct 25 with 3113 viewssolemio

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:08 - Oct 25 by le2blue

Very.

My point is less about politics, right now the the town needs someone to champion it and the county, something the football club and even Ed Sheeran are doing fantastically well. What it doesn't need is some part-time, dog-whistling xenophobic tw@t constantly running it down or giving false narratives about the place...now is the time for him to be talking up to encourage investment and visitors.

When Kieran leads us to the promised land with an Elkan Baggott header clinching it at Carrott Road, we will be inundated with tourists from Indonesia next season, how will he cope then with not being able to hear grammar school voices?

More Public School than grammar school.
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:24 - Oct 25 with 3087 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Nobody disputes it" when challenged to evidence his xenophobic racism. Disgusting. And worrying that it is what he knows will win him votes.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 12:05 - Oct 25 with 2997 viewsSomethingBlue

At a time when the football club is setting an example on and off the pitch, bringing more positivity and inclusion to Ipswich than anything in two decades, what a shame the town's elected representative continues to drag its name through the mud in public. Do people want to be associated with this? A disgraceful individual who doesn't care a thing for the place and makes no effort to conceal his disdain for constituents. Get him out, never to return, and if you voted for him last time please don't make the same mistake again because he is not on your side – in fact he probably actively dislikes you.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 12:06]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 12:11 - Oct 25 with 2949 viewsWhos_blue

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 10:55 - Oct 25 by bluelagos

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 12:15 - Oct 25 with 2929 viewsWhos_blue

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 10:00 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

He's such a disgusting person. When the time comes, do the right thing Ipswich and send the tosser back to the hole he crawled out of without his deposit.

This.

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 12:47 - Oct 25 with 2840 viewsBluedandy

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:17 - Oct 25 by solemio

More Public School than grammar school.

Amazing what a quick google search reveals:

Memories of King’s Ely by Tom Hunt MP:

“I was a pupil at King’s Ely from the age of 4 right the way through to completing my GCSEs.

“I was diagnosed with both dyslexia and dyspraxia at quite an early age. It was the amazing support I received from the team at King’s Ely Acremont that provided me with the foundations that eventually enabled me to overcome these difficulties and achieve success academically. I genuinely believe that if I hadn’t been lucky enough to go to King’s Ely and get the support I received, there is no way I would be where I am today.

“My favourite subject at school was History. Mr Lowery, who was my History Teacher at King’s Ely Junior, really brought the Battle of 1066 alive and it was then my favourite subject going forward throughout school. I also liked football and cross country!

“To this day I continue to enjoy close friendships with many of the people I met at King’s Ely. I remember my time at school with great fondness.”

According to Wikipedia, he then went to a state sixth form college in Cambridge, Hills Road Sixth Form College, before studying politics and modern history at Manchester University and then completing a masters at Oxford University (Pembroke College).

Certainly would be interesting to learn how Mr Lowery brought the Battle of Hastings alive. Did he teach wearing Norman chain mail with a sucker arrow in one eye?

Anyway now we know, a moderately blended private-state education and as a human being possibly more of a curate's egg than a complete and utter posterior.
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 13:12 - Oct 25 with 2721 viewsWhos_blue

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 11:07 - Oct 25 by EastTownBlue

Probably more of the same from ever delightful Tom on the BBC today.

Was called out by the Labour MP to agree for him to visit Ipswich and visit the same 12 shops Hunt again referenced in his comments.
Clearly unsettled he blustered something about he should spend more time in his own constituency rather than come to Ipswich.
He really didn't come over very well.

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 13:44 - Oct 25 with 2607 viewsjontysnut

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 13:12 - Oct 25 by Whos_blue

Was called out by the Labour MP to agree for him to visit Ipswich and visit the same 12 shops Hunt again referenced in his comments.
Clearly unsettled he blustered something about he should spend more time in his own constituency rather than come to Ipswich.
He really didn't come over very well.

He never does come across very well. He's a loudmouth provocateur which I assume is why they have him on. It's clearly not for his well researched, reasonably put opinion. Ipswich deserves much, much better and I hope he will be returned to the obscurity from whence he came.
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:06 - Oct 25 with 2549 viewstextbackup

Ipswich town centre is horrible, there’s no denying that really.
As someone who was born and bred here, and very likely will die here, the downfall of the town centre is horrible to have witnessed, from the shops to the people hanging around.

Im not sure why people say it isn’t the case, but it is full of groups of ‘foreigners’ (unsure how best to describe without offending anyone) young blokes standing around (which absolutely intimidates people) families walking through the town on mass, and he’s not wrong they aren’t speaking English.

But it is what it is now, I hate it, so avoid town centre unless it’s a match day when I have to be that way.

Not sure it’s wrong pointing it out though, I get he’s a tit though

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:09 - Oct 25 with 2517 viewsDubtractor

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:06 - Oct 25 by textbackup

As someone who was born and bred here, and very likely will die here, the downfall of the town centre is horrible to have witnessed, from the shops to the people hanging around.

Im not sure why people say it isn’t the case, but it is full of groups of ‘foreigners’ (unsure how best to describe without offending anyone) young blokes standing around (which absolutely intimidates people) families walking through the town on mass, and he’s not wrong they aren’t speaking English.

But it is what it is now, I hate it, so avoid town centre unless it’s a match day when I have to be that way.

The problem is that he is only interested in stirring the issue up, and not about trying to help make things better.

Compare that to the stuff ITFC are doing, as show in the original posy.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:37 - Oct 25 with 2380 viewseireblue

Is it because people see Tom approaching them, and say to each other, quick start talking gibberish and pretend we don’t understand the Hunt.

Seems like a sensible strategy.
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:39 - Oct 25 with 2373 viewsthebooks

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:06 - Oct 25 by textbackup

Don’t really think it is “full of groups of ‘foreigners’”, at least not in my experience. There’s the odd pick-up point for factory workers. There are quite a few Portugese cafés and shops too, I guess.

I’m not sure why you find families walking en masse intimidating, but there you go.

But at the end of the day, so what if certain groups are or aren’t using town centres? I don’t need some over-privileged fascist blaming the country’s problems on a bunch of asylum seekers in a hotel, or the fact town centres aren’t used by everyone all the time, when it’s his government who have merrily overseen the destruction the the housing and health systems 🤷‍♂️
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:59 - Oct 25 with 2298 viewsBlueBadger

Cheer up, one of his colleagues is working up to build relations with dodgy people from Eastern Europe.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23878473.brandon-lewis-yarmouth-mps-job-russian-fou
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 15:08]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 15:05 - Oct 25 with 2265 viewsHerbivore

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 14:39 - Oct 25 by thebooks

Don’t really think it is “full of groups of ‘foreigners’”, at least not in my experience. There’s the odd pick-up point for factory workers. There are quite a few Portugese cafés and shops too, I guess.

I’m not sure why you find families walking en masse intimidating, but there you go.

But at the end of the day, so what if certain groups are or aren’t using town centres? I don’t need some over-privileged fascist blaming the country’s problems on a bunch of asylum seekers in a hotel, or the fact town centres aren’t used by everyone all the time, when it’s his government who have merrily overseen the destruction the the housing and health systems 🤷‍♂️

From what texters says I probably go into Ipswich town centre as often as he does and I have to say I don't really recognise his description of it. At best it's exaggerated. Like many similar size towns it is very run down, lots of empty shops and the feeling of a high street that is dying. That's nothing to do with furreners though, it's people shopping online and the growth of out of town retail parks. I've been to Ipswich with friends as well as on my own and none of us has really noticed Ipswich being exceptional in terms of furreners wandering around talking furren. In fact it's still not all that diverse compared to a lot of places.

I don't doubt there are some groups of men who some might find intimidating, groups of men can be intimidating whatever language they speak (again though not seen anything out of the ordinary myself in this regard). I struggle a bit more with the idea that a family walking around speaking to each other in their native language is all that problematic. I don't really understand that. I also think both Hunt's and texters' descriptions of Ipswich are deliberately hyperbolic based on my own (and others) experiences of it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 15:09 - Oct 25 with 2264 viewsle2blue

The demise of the town centre, like many others in the uk, is terrible and has largely been driven by Amazon and the changes to our buying habits as well as developments like John Lewis out of town. The vacant properties then become places were either people with little to do congregate or low cost shops populate with short term tenancies…both create a spiral where other residents don’t then go into the town and retailers pull out. It’s not good but needs innovative and proactive thinking to turn it around.

The fact that asylum seekers or people from other countries walk through the town isn’t what’s caused the demise and not everyone is speaking languages other than English. Why isn’t he helping the town rather than trying to appeal to a xenophobic view that a small group of people are the problem. What he is creating is division and fear, my point is that it would be better if he did constructive things including championing the town to improve it.

I should add that I was also born and raised in the swich and spent most Saturdays in the town centre and Portman Road, loved it. I don't live in the town at the moment but having lived in a number of places in the UK and abroad, trust me Ipswich is still a great place to live and bring up a family. I hate hearing people talk negatively about the place as it's not as bad as made out, and not what is needed, especially from an MP.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 15:36]
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 15:48 - Oct 25 with 2121 viewsSwansea_Blue

They forecasted the rain pretty well and issued warnings on it all week. They were even highlighting very precise regions for gawds sake. She's another one that isn't on top of / interested in her brief.

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 15:56 - Oct 25 with 2090 viewsSwansea_Blue

I had a walk around it in the evening after the Blackburn match and was expecting some sort of post-apocalyptic scene. It was a lot better than I'd expected based on what people have said on here. There were a lot of empty shops though, especially down Carr street and that end. But no groups of people or any obvious mass groups of obvious foreigners (or anyone).

There are a LOT worse towns and cities out there. Swansea is considerably worse. There's a greater range of shops in Ipswich and the place is in much better nick, yet it's half the size of Swansea.

One thing that does set it apart from many places is that all the nightlife seems to have move out of the centre. Virtually no cafes, restaurants or pubs/bars. It was dead on a Saturday evening - I don't remember it being deserted years back when i lived in the town. The southern area between the centre and the docks was much busier though.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 15:58]

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 16:07 - Oct 25 with 2042 viewsthebooks

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 15:56 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

I had a walk around it in the evening after the Blackburn match and was expecting some sort of post-apocalyptic scene. It was a lot better than I'd expected based on what people have said on here. There were a lot of empty shops though, especially down Carr street and that end. But no groups of people or any obvious mass groups of obvious foreigners (or anyone).

There are a LOT worse towns and cities out there. Swansea is considerably worse. There's a greater range of shops in Ipswich and the place is in much better nick, yet it's half the size of Swansea.

One thing that does set it apart from many places is that all the nightlife seems to have move out of the centre. Virtually no cafes, restaurants or pubs/bars. It was dead on a Saturday evening - I don't remember it being deserted years back when i lived in the town. The southern area between the centre and the docks was much busier though.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 15:58]

Yeah, it can be very quiet at night. There’s a few pubs that are on the fringes that get some custom (Greyhound, Arbor House, Dove etc.) but only really the Cricketers in the centre.

Another nice thing about Town being the best team in Britain at the moment is that it’s actually buzzing on a Saturday when there’s a home game.
The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 16:15 - Oct 25 with 1994 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The xenophobic MP for Ipswich rarely hears English in the town apparently on 15:48 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

They forecasted the rain pretty well and issued warnings on it all week. They were even highlighting very precise regions for gawds sake. She's another one that isn't on top of / interested in her brief.

Ah, but she isn't saying it wasn't predicted but that it was unusual in coming in from the east ... you know, Europe ... those dirty foreigners sending us their rubbish weather. Not to be trusted. Their fault ... and Labour's ... and certainly not anything to do with any party that has been in power for the last decade and more.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024