Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a thought... 14:11 - Oct 11 with 4515 viewsThatMuhrenCross

We're in a great position - 8 points clear of third currently - way above where we ever imagined we'd be.

But realistically, what did we all hope for this season? Top half? Part of me always believed 6th was always achievable, but realistically I'd probably have said about 8th.

Well... hear me out! To finish 8th last season was 68 points...

That's an average of 1.48 points per game.

So what if we were now just to average 1.48 points per game from our remaining 35 games? That would mean 52 more points.

Add that to the 28 we currently have and you'd be looking at a final total of: 80 points.

Last season, that would have been enough to finish third, and at no point in the last decade would that have seen us fail to make the play-offs.

But who is the most likely to catch us? Leeds? Sunderland? Southampton?

Assuming we made it to 80 points, to catch us, they'd have to average the following points:

Leeds - 1.74
Sunderland - 1.74
Southampton - 1.80

All in all, not only do we need to have a huge drop off to finish outside the top two, but those teams need to seriously up their game.

Will both those variables happen? Who knows?

I really fancy us for top two.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Just a thought... on 07:08 - Oct 12 with 1053 viewsVic

Just a thought... on 17:51 - Oct 11 by MK1

Would have been happy with top half before the season, but think top 6 is very much a possibility now. To be honest, the start has already made my season, so everything else is just going to be a bonus.

Top 6 now has to be a probability doesn’t it? Would be a very poor, extended run of form not to achieve that - regardless of what others sides do.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Just a thought... on 09:43 - Oct 12 with 986 viewsTractorCam

Just a thought... on 20:57 - Oct 11 by Kropotkin123

Gameweek 11 Leaderboard
1 Yppswyche 100
2 The_Flashing_Smile 102
3 thatbdude 104
4 ITFCed 108
5 Superblue95 112
6 _81 112
7 brazil1982 114
8 Parky 114
9 ChorleyBoy 116
10 jakeyboy26 116

It's a disaster, you're below me!
15 Kropotkin123 120
37 BiGDonnie 128

Where am I? Thought I was doing alright so far.

Edit: I found my own prediction and see Preston are letting me down quite drastically!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 9:45]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Just a thought... on 09:50 - Oct 12 with 982 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I thought we'd be mid-table, or there abouts. I am still fairly realistic, it's a tough league with a long way to go, but we have done superbly and will have no complaints come the end of the season either way. What a contrast to our last season in the Championship though!

I am a long term-ist, we are still a club in recovery and rebuilding. We should be ambitious, we should aim to be where West Ham and Brighton are and build for that, not be yo-yo champs on one season and done wonders like Huddersfield and co. However we don't need to be immediately promoted this season to make that happen either.
Just a thought... on 10:21 - Oct 12 with 966 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Thought we would finish 12th.

The start has been incredible and I would readjust that prediction if I was to do it now.

But there is still a long way to go, lots of games to play. Injuries will happen.

So still not getting carried but absolutely loving watching us atm. Been superb so far, every player. Lets just keep it going.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Just a thought... on 10:57 - Oct 12 with 941 viewsBiGDonnie

Just a thought... on 20:57 - Oct 11 by Kropotkin123

Gameweek 11 Leaderboard
1 Yppswyche 100
2 The_Flashing_Smile 102
3 thatbdude 104
4 ITFCed 108
5 Superblue95 112
6 _81 112
7 brazil1982 114
8 Parky 114
9 ChorleyBoy 116
10 jakeyboy26 116

It's a disaster, you're below me!
15 Kropotkin123 120
37 BiGDonnie 128

Ahhhh FFS.

Nice one.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Just a thought... on 18:01 - Oct 12 with 854 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just a thought... on 00:17 - Oct 12 by Guthrum

I reckoned we would finish 2nd three seasons in a row.

Pessimist. We should be aiming to improve our league position next season at least. This season I will accept second again, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just a thought... on 18:21 - Oct 12 with 834 viewsbackwaywhen

It has been pointed out that no team which has gained 27 points from opening 11 games has failed to finish in the top 2 , and we have 28 ……just saying .
Just a thought... on 20:53 - Oct 12 with 780 viewsTheBoyBlue

I thought top half of the table would be a very decent first season back at this level and of course in itself still would be, but after the start we've had, anything outside the top 8 (play-offs even) would seem disappointing.

Despite the temptation to dream of the Premier League and stats like "no team with this many points at this stage has failed to get promotion", I'm trying to do what the team seem to be doing (at least what they say they're doing) and taking it one game at a time and just enjoying it whilst it lasts!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Login to get fewer ads

Just a thought... on 09:03 - Oct 13 with 734 viewsitfcjoe

Just a thought... on 18:21 - Oct 12 by backwaywhen

It has been pointed out that no team which has gained 27 points from opening 11 games has failed to finish in the top 2 , and we have 28 ……just saying .

So we'd have been better off losing to Huddersfield?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just a thought... on 09:27 - Oct 13 with 705 viewsRadioOrwell

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that we probably won't be relegated.
When we get 50 points I for one will have a dry sherry.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024