Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Edmundson vs Burgess 10:08 - Oct 4 with 1650 viewsMookamoo

Wasn't at the game last night - Can anyone summarise what Edmundson was able to do last night that Burgess hasn't been able to offer?

I've seen lots of chatter praising McKenna for the switch, but nothing as to what Hull were going to do that required a tactical adjustment. Was it just a just a case of looking more solid at the back at home?

How much did the Clarke / Williams switch have to do with it?
Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:19 - Oct 4 with 1591 viewsStokieBlue

I think it was mainly based on being able to handle Delap on the turn and on the ground (he was rather quick) and Edmundson did it very well.

I also think he was very calm with his passing from the back and very assured (Burgess has also improved a lot in this aspect). It felt like he went long less than Burgess but that may have simply been a function of the type of press from Hull.

Nice to know he's fully up to speed and that we have 3 viable CB options with a 4th coming back from injury soon.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Edmundson better close control and a bit quicker.. simples (n/t) on 10:20 - Oct 4 with 1573 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:22 - Oct 4 with 1561 viewsbluefunk

Read McKennas interview where he talks about the Hull press providing more opportunities for a right footed player, and then look at the second goal, where Edmundson receives the ball in the left corner and his right footed pass up the line, which may not have been possible for a left footed player. That’s why Fridge played and he was excellent. BTW i needed KMs explanation to see it!
Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:23 - Oct 4 with 1553 viewshoppy

Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:19 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

I think it was mainly based on being able to handle Delap on the turn and on the ground (he was rather quick) and Edmundson did it very well.

I also think he was very calm with his passing from the back and very assured (Burgess has also improved a lot in this aspect). It felt like he went long less than Burgess but that may have simply been a function of the type of press from Hull.

Nice to know he's fully up to speed and that we have 3 viable CB options with a 4th coming back from injury soon.

SB

That was my thinking on it, about Hull playing it more fluidly on the deck than the long balls over the top (which Burgess is very good at dealing with, maybe more so than on the floor?), so George was likely chosen because of that?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:24 - Oct 4 with 1538 viewsFrimleyBlue

George looked like he'd played about 30 behind door friendlies. He just looked like the George we first signed. Effortless with the ball. He's positioning off the ball for hladky was excellent.
Delay found it quite difficult to get past him. He just oozed calmess and looked fit.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:40 - Oct 4 with 1476 viewsBlueBoots

SB

Pretty much this - I can also hardly remember our centre-backs having to challenge for a ball in the air, where Burgess excels too. Hull's attack centred on getting the ball into the feet of players with a bit of pace to run at us, and Edmundson has a bit more acceleration than Burgess - we also dropped deeper to defend so that if Hull did run at us, they didn't have space to run in behind.

Very noticeable that Edmundson played quite a few passes with his left foot yesterday (more so than last season), so obviously something he's been working on; Hull's press was encouraging us to play the ball through the middle too where they were hoping to win it back (but just couldn't compete with Morsy and Luongo), so suited having a right footer on that side at centre back (Just as an aside, our press was outstanding...Burns playing narrow because Hull's left-back was right-footed to force him on to his weaker foot caused them all sorts of problems trying to play out from the back)

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:41 - Oct 4 with 1468 views_clive_baker_

We adopted a much deeper defensive line last night out of possession, as deep as I've seen in ages. One criticism I've always had of Burgess is his 1-on-1 defending, he can be found a little flat footed at times and not the quickest on the turn. Hull have serious running power in Delap and Philogene so perhaps Edmundson was deemed more appropriate for that.

Very much looked a case of siting in a deep 'block', let them play in front of us. I do think Edmundson is perhaps more effective 1-on-1.
Edmundson vs Burgess on 10:54 - Oct 4 with 1442 viewsRobTheMonk

I was surprised at how quick Edmundson was. Looked like Connolly had the beating of him during the first half and then Ed just decided to activate the afterburners.
Login to get fewer ads

Aye, we're all of a sudden looking pretty good for defensive options (n/t) on 10:55 - Oct 4 with 1432 viewsDyland

SB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Almost as if McKenna knows what he's doing on 10:57 - Oct 4 with 1415 viewsDyland

Aye, we're all of a sudden looking pretty good for defensive options (n/t) on 10:55 - Oct 4 by Dyland

arf

Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:00 - Oct 4 with 1388 viewscordonblue

Delap was impressive and a very powerful runner with the ball, him running down the left side was one of their main outlets and Edmundson was able to cope with it quite well.

Suspect the view is Edmundson is a slightly more powerful runner himself, and potentially better on the turn than Cam. Burgess will be back on Saturday though one would think
Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:02 - Oct 4 with 1382 viewsCobboldCrusty

Also noticed that Edmundson having the ball at the back seemed to give confidence to Hladky and vice versa.

Him being furthest back outfielder on the ball also freed up Woolf as an option whereas usually Burgess would be that option.

Both great CB's with different strengths - extremely smart move by McKenna!
Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:05 - Oct 4 with 1375 viewsitfc_bucks

Apologies for not joining the chorus of unyielding praise for fridge, but he did have that one moment just after we'd scored where he nearly got done for pace and tried to shield back to Vaz, who wasn't quite on the wavelength for that sort of move.
Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:18 - Oct 4 with 1332 viewsStokieBlue

Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:05 - Oct 4 by itfc_bucks

Apologies for not joining the chorus of unyielding praise for fridge, but he did have that one moment just after we'd scored where he nearly got done for pace and tried to shield back to Vaz, who wasn't quite on the wavelength for that sort of move.

Delap was already past him given the pass and he did well to use the angle to get himself back in front of Delap and shield it back. I think Hladky was a little slow coming out in that instance and should have been claiming that once Edmundson was goal side.

Seems very harsh to try and pin that on him when in reality he did really well stopping Delap being clean through on goal.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:26 - Oct 4 with 1277 viewsDyland

Edmundson vs Burgess on 11:05 - Oct 4 by itfc_bucks

I thought, in hindsight, that epitomised what McKenna was saying about playing him. He did brilliantly to stop Delap being through, with pace and skill. He did admittedly kind of fluff it at the end after doing the hard bit! But sh1t happens all the time in footy and it would be incredibly harsh to criticise his performance for that.

Edmundson vs Burgess on 12:17 - Oct 4 with 1161 viewsitfc48

Genius from Mckenna. I know there's often talk of horse for courses but not sure many managers would have had the bravery to switch out not only arguably one of our best players this season but one that plays in such a key position.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024