Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
XL Bully dogs to be banned 11:51 - Sep 15 with 4404 viewsblueasfook

So what will happen to the dogs that people already have? Will they be rounded up and put to sleep? Or will the ban just mean people can no longer get these dogs?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 11:57 - Sep 15 with 3243 viewsDanTheMan

It's (usually) kept alive but you have restrictions put on it. Fairly sure it's not allowed off lead and has to be muzzled if out.

The number of people who let their dogs off lead when they can't control it is infuriating.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:02 - Sep 15 with 3219 viewsLord_Lucan

Ridiculous decision.

Nothing wrong with those dogs but the breeders and the owners.

Now the dullards will move on to another breed and everything will repeat.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:09 - Sep 15 with 3172 viewsDarth_Koont

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:02 - Sep 15 by Lord_Lucan

Ridiculous decision.

That doesn’t add up. Dogs like these are disproportionately responsible for serious and especially fatal attacks.

If you were blaming certain breeders and owners for wanting increasingly dangerous dogs then you’d be right.

Pronouns: He/Him

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:10 - Sep 15 with 3169 viewsDanTheMan

Ridiculous decision.

Legislation and enforcement are complicated though, it is much easier to please the "something must be done" crowd with a quick banning and hoping the problem goes away.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:11 - Sep 15 with 3158 viewsDanTheMan

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:09 - Sep 15 by Darth_Koont

That doesn’t add up. Dogs like these are disproportionately responsible for serious and especially fatal attacks.

If you were blaming certain breeders and owners for wanting increasingly dangerous dogs then you’d be right.

I think you're both right. These dogs do have tremendous jaw strength compared to other terriers which can have similar temperament issues, but as Lucan says they'll just move on to something else.

Treating the symptom and not the cause.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:14 - Sep 15 with 3133 views_clive_baker_

Ridiculous decision.

As a dog owner and dog lover myself I can't agree with that. I'm sure the owners play a role, but some breeds are evidently more dangerous than others. It's not often you hear of a Labrador mauling a kid to death.
XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:21 - Sep 15 with 3091 viewsDarth_Koont

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:11 - Sep 15 by DanTheMan

I think you're both right. These dogs do have tremendous jaw strength compared to other terriers which can have similar temperament issues, but as Lucan says they'll just move on to something else.

Treating the symptom and not the cause.

Yes, but knowing that the risk increases with certain breeds should see us wanting to reverse the trend of people breeding and owning riskier breeds as pets.

40 years ago there were a few people with Rottweilers when they first became a thing but since then these potentially more dangerous dogs have become not just normalised but way too common. It’s gone so far that Rottweilers are getting to be at the “soft” end now.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:25 - Sep 15 with 3048 viewsDanTheMan

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:21 - Sep 15 by Darth_Koont

Yes, but knowing that the risk increases with certain breeds should see us wanting to reverse the trend of people breeding and owning riskier breeds as pets.

40 years ago there were a few people with Rottweilers when they first became a thing but since then these potentially more dangerous dogs have become not just normalised but way too common. It’s gone so far that Rottweilers are getting to be at the “soft” end now.

Agreed, I guess I just think we can keep playing this "ban the breed" game but what we should be doing is actually trying to deal with the bad breeders and owners. Because they'll just move onto another breed.

Cane Corso is my next bet.

Login to get fewer ads

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:45 - Sep 15 with 2929 viewsNthQldITFC

When you take on a dog of a breed like this you are implicitly saying I have a dangerous weapon and I may or may not be prepared to use it, but I may not be able to prevent it using itself.

If that dog kills or seriously injures, you should go to prison for a minimum of say, five years (actual prison time) and pay a significant fine based on your personal wealth.

One form of new building I support is the building of new prisons, cos there's fk all accountability in this country for anyone from corrupt politicians, to dangerous drivers, to environmental polluters, to irresponsible users of dangerous weapons.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:46 - Sep 15 with 2912 viewsSwansea_Blue

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:25 - Sep 15 by DanTheMan

Agreed, I guess I just think we can keep playing this "ban the breed" game but what we should be doing is actually trying to deal with the bad breeders and owners. Because they'll just move onto another breed.

Agreed. But god knows how you deal with people that see a dangerous dog as a badge of honour.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:15 - Sep 15 with 2800 viewsitfcjoe

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:25 - Sep 15 by DanTheMan

But there is a difference with the sheer size of these dogs, and there have previously been dogs added to the dangerous dogs list so it's no great surprise to see this as one.

Bad owners are obviously a problem, and there should be some form of licencing in my view (nothing major, just a small barrier to entry) as well as compulsory chips in them. But a bad owner with a more dangerous dog is much worse than a bad owner with a less dangerous dog.

These dogs are inbred to be b@stards, by people that want them to be to make TikTok videos of them smashing through windows etc and ripping things to shreds. But they are a dangerous dog and their needs to be control over the breeding of them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:15 - Sep 15 with 2799 viewsRyorry

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:46 - Sep 15 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed. But god knows how you deal with people that see a dangerous dog as a badge of honour.

The same way you'd treat UK people that see owning a handgun or sawn-off shotgun as a badge of "honour"?

With the (even worse) differences that

1. Such dogs are often used for the wretched so-called "sport" of dog-fighting - which carries the secondary just as devastating & disgusting crime of stealing pet dogs for use as "bait"

2. They often can't even control their own "weapons"

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:17 - Sep 15 with 2784 viewsSwansea_Blue

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:15 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

The same way you'd treat UK people that see owning a handgun or sawn-off shotgun as a badge of "honour"?

With the (even worse) differences that

1. Such dogs are often used for the wretched so-called "sport" of dog-fighting - which carries the secondary just as devastating & disgusting crime of stealing pet dogs for use as "bait"

2. They often can't even control their own "weapons"

Good grief, I didn’t realise (1) was a thing. That’s disgusting.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:20 - Sep 15 with 2772 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Ridiculous decision.

If all the breeders are responsible for producing a dangerous breed, then by definition, all the dogs are dangerous.

I'm not sure thats what you meant.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 13:23]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:21 - Sep 15 with 2768 viewsblueasfook

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:17 - Sep 15 by Swansea_Blue

You didn't know dog fighting was a thing? Where have you been living? Been a thing for years.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:22 - Sep 15 with 2758 viewsgiant_stow

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:17 - Sep 15 by Swansea_Blue

I don't know whether the following urban myth territory or not, but the local Facebook group has been full of stories & warnings about both Pet dogs and cats being nicked for such purposes. ...People seen cruising in cars paying attention at smaller dogs being walked...

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:23 - Sep 15 with 2748 viewsSwansea_Blue

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:21 - Sep 15 by blueasfook

You didn't know dog fighting was a thing? Where have you been living? Been a thing for years.

The stealing of domestic pets bit. I'd assumed the small dicks would keep it amongst themselves and fight using their own dogs.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:23 - Sep 15 with 2739 viewsgiant_stow

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:21 - Sep 15 by blueasfook

I think it's the grabbing of bait / fodder animals that might be on the new side.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:24 - Sep 15 with 2730 viewsRyorry

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:14 - Sep 15 by _clive_baker_

As a dog owner and dog lover myself I can't agree with that. I'm sure the owners play a role, but some breeds are evidently more dangerous than others. It's not often you hear of a Labrador mauling a kid to death.

There is actually some worry amongst the labrador-breeding community that unsuitable lines are being bred from, with the result that there are more aggressive labs about than there used to be.

The breeder of my Lab pup (elderly aunt of a friend who bred my two previous dogs) says she only carries on breeding to ensure a continuing good pool of sound-temperament dogs (she's a registered breeder who has a particularly good reputation for this).

A vet daughter of friends said she has one really vicious Lab. patient; and I've been warned about a different one when out walking that lives 2 miles away.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:29 - Sep 15 with 2713 viewsblueasfook

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:23 - Sep 15 by Swansea_Blue

The stealing of domestic pets bit. I'd assumed the small dicks would keep it amongst themselves and fight using their own dogs.

Ah right, yeah. Softer dogs are "acquired" to train them. They're not just stolen. They'll scan selling sites, etc to look for animals they can get hold of. If ever you're selling or giving away a pet, always make sure you vet the person taking it thoroughly

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:36 - Sep 15 with 2656 viewsDarth_Koont

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:29 - Sep 15 by blueasfook

Ah right, yeah. Softer dogs are "acquired" to train them. They're not just stolen. They'll scan selling sites, etc to look for animals they can get hold of. If ever you're selling or giving away a pet, always make sure you vet the person taking it thoroughly

I vetted someone the other day. Bit awkward but generally going well until the rectal examination.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:38 - Sep 15 with 2644 viewsLord_Lucan

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:20 - Sep 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

If all the breeders are responsible for producing a dangerous breed, then by definition, all the dogs are dangerous.

I'm not sure thats what you meant.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 13:23]

I have always kept English Bull Terriors and they are soft as sh1te with people - but if I had been inclined I could have trained them to be savages.

I had a rescue EBT once and it attacked a family friend, it had been tormented all it's life and kept in a cage. I made a mistake, I shouldn't have got it, I should have known better.

It's not the dog, it's the breeders and owners.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:41 - Sep 15 with 2636 viewsblueasfook

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:38 - Sep 15 by Lord_Lucan

I have always kept English Bull Terriors and they are soft as sh1te with people - but if I had been inclined I could have trained them to be savages.

I had a rescue EBT once and it attacked a family friend, it had been tormented all it's life and kept in a cage. I made a mistake, I shouldn't have got it, I should have known better.

It's not the dog, it's the breeders and owners.

Hands down, the most aggressive dogs I have come across have been Yorkshire terriers. Horrible little ankle biters!

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:52 - Sep 15 with 2569 viewshype313

Trouble is these dogs are bred to be a status symbol, a sign of toughness, not a deep rooted love for dogs on the whole.

So the owners treat them in a way to be aggressive to highlight their deficiencies, thus ensuring these dogs are volatile.

Sweeping generalisation granted, but from what I have witnessed, don't think it's stretching the truth either.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:05 - Sep 15 with 2529 viewsSteve_M

It's dog racism apparently:

Less facetiously, there is a problem with such large, aggressive dogs at the moment. Granted it won't solve the problem of poor ownership but to argue it's not about the dog breed is, I think, akin to the NRA's position on guns.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024