Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
XL Bully dogs to be banned 11:51 - Sep 15 with 4436 viewsblueasfook

So what will happen to the dogs that people already have? Will they be rounded up and put to sleep? Or will the ban just mean people can no longer get these dogs?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:15 - Sep 15 with 1115 viewsblueasfook

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:05 - Sep 15 by Steve_M

It's dog racism apparently:

Less facetiously, there is a problem with such large, aggressive dogs at the moment. Granted it won't solve the problem of poor ownership but to argue it's not about the dog breed is, I think, akin to the NRA's position on guns.

Agree. Sadly there will always be people who aren't fit to own dogs, so by taking away the most dangerous breeds for them to get hold of then you can at least limit the damage their viscious dogs can do.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:36 - Sep 15 with 1080 viewsArnieM

The government would do better to arrest the dog owners, educate them and imprison those that have deliberately made these poor animals what they are. It’s a man made problem, not animal. But isn’t this always the case.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:43 - Sep 15 with 1064 viewsCheltenham_Blue

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:38 - Sep 15 by Lord_Lucan

I have always kept English Bull Terriors and they are soft as sh1te with people - but if I had been inclined I could have trained them to be savages.

I had a rescue EBT once and it attacked a family friend, it had been tormented all it's life and kept in a cage. I made a mistake, I shouldn't have got it, I should have known better.

It's not the dog, it's the breeders and owners.

Your example there isn't the fault of a breeder, but the previous owner.
When talking about breeding, we are generally talking about breeding for temperament.

Any owner can keep a poor dog, but a breeder produces a poor dog in the first place. We had a Golden Retriever, that had possession aggression from the moment we got it, took us a while to learn how to handle it, but it couldn't have treats or toys when anyone was around, especially kids.

Was nothing we had done, it was entirely down to the breeding.

Some dogs just have aggressive traits, through bad breeding. Even the AKC states that the Bully breed are "prone to dog on dog aggression".
[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 14:43]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:57 - Sep 15 with 1045 viewsElephantintheRoom

Just another unenforceable law. These muts are essentially mongrels so identifying one is next to impossible and comes down to opinion. Bad news for any dog that looks like one - or slightly daft owner who has something looking like one of these - but not many will have seen one, let alone been chewed by one.

Fact is that any out of control dog that munches children, passers by etc will be put down. Even a Yorkie

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 15:00 - Sep 15 with 1041 viewsBloomBlue

Less facetiously, there is a problem with such large, aggressive dogs at the moment. Granted it won't solve the problem of poor ownership but to argue it's not about the dog breed is, I think, akin to the NRA's position on guns.

Precisely. The UK banned hand guns, but not everyone who owned a handful gun was irresponsible. But we decided it was better to ban the gun to stop the irresponsible owners from owning.
As you say the gun lobby in the US say they shouldn't ban guns because its not the guns it's some owners and the shops that sell them which is wrong - people in the UK laugh at that.

The XL bully is often a peaceful non violent dog, but the breed was deliberately created to be agreesive.
XL Bully dogs to be banned on 15:06 - Sep 15 with 1020 viewsitfcjoe

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:52 - Sep 15 by hype313

Trouble is these dogs are bred to be a status symbol, a sign of toughness, not a deep rooted love for dogs on the whole.

So the owners treat them in a way to be aggressive to highlight their deficiencies, thus ensuring these dogs are volatile.

Sweeping generalisation granted, but from what I have witnessed, don't think it's stretching the truth either.

On LBC Iain Dale had a caller the other day, he seemed ok and was talking about how he breeds them - after a while ID basically said so who actually do you breed them for as he was talking around the point and he just said 'drug dealers', and it wasn't a joke or tongue in cheek

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 15:32 - Sep 15 with 983 viewsblueasfook

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 14:57 - Sep 15 by ElephantintheRoom

Just another unenforceable law. These muts are essentially mongrels so identifying one is next to impossible and comes down to opinion. Bad news for any dog that looks like one - or slightly daft owner who has something looking like one of these - but not many will have seen one, let alone been chewed by one.

Fact is that any out of control dog that munches children, passers by etc will be put down. Even a Yorkie

Everyone should just be allowed to have a cockapoo. Cockapoos don't harm anyone.

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 15:37 - Sep 15 with 974 viewsZx1988

This has only happened because it has been politically expedient to run with it this week.

The terrorist escapee couldn't even last a week, so Sunak & Co needed another handy distraction to divert our attention from RAAC and their amendments to the Environment Bill. Given its prominence in the news cycle this week, it's worked a treat.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Login to get fewer ads

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 17:27 - Sep 15 with 905 viewsRyorry

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 15:37 - Sep 15 by Zx1988

This has only happened because it has been politically expedient to run with it this week.

The terrorist escapee couldn't even last a week, so Sunak & Co needed another handy distraction to divert our attention from RAAC and their amendments to the Environment Bill. Given its prominence in the news cycle this week, it's worked a treat.

A man died yesterday just walking past 2 of these XLB dogs. That's on top of a 10-yr old kid & the 2 adults who helped her getting badly mauled very recently; and other recent horrifying attacks. I'm as keen as anyone to get at this rotten Govt., but while this incident may have been convenient, they're doing the right thing for once in seeking to get the dogs banned, so I think your accusation isn't deserved in this instance.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 17:40 - Sep 15 with 893 viewsZx1988

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 17:27 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

A man died yesterday just walking past 2 of these XLB dogs. That's on top of a 10-yr old kid & the 2 adults who helped her getting badly mauled very recently; and other recent horrifying attacks. I'm as keen as anyone to get at this rotten Govt., but while this incident may have been convenient, they're doing the right thing for once in seeking to get the dogs banned, so I think your accusation isn't deserved in this instance.

Okay, that's a fair point. I hadn't necessarily realised that the events of the last couple of weeks were a sudden uptick in incidents - I'd just assumed that some other factor had compelled the Government to act based upon these incidents, as opposed to the numerous previous incidents.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 17:44 - Sep 15 with 880 viewsRyorry

As far as ordinary Staffies are concerned, I'd agree with Hector - would look at the individual dog (and history/owners), not what breed they are.

These XLBs & similar dogs bred to fight are a completely different order though. Not just their size & power, but the crushing strength of their jaws - around 300lbs PSI - more than any other dog except wolves in the wild or African wild dogs*

Anyone saying their fighting tendencies are 100% the result of nurture not nature needs to think again & consider how different instincts in different breeds of dog manifest themselves without human intervention. A 3-month old Border Collie will start herding hens and ducks; a 10-week old Labrador will start retrieving balls kicked & anything thrown by the owner or friends - both without watching or receiving any training whatsoever. All on hereditary instinct.

* https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/american-xl-bully-bite-strength-27723

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 18:09 - Sep 15 with 851 viewsmutters

If you look at the stats* you can see that this breed has been responsible for more and more fatal attacks over the last few years. How the dog is bred, how it is trained, and its environment are all impactful on its behaviour and is down to the owner, however, there is something inherently dangerous about this breed due to its size, strength, and bite power which means it needs to be managed more carefully. Its prepositioned to defend and be a guard dog, which is down to years of inbreeding and human management.

Sadly humans and their behaviour have ultimately led to this by not knowing how to own this type of dog. It's probably the right decision to place it on the banned list, but it didn't have to end up this way.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom#20

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 18:51 - Sep 15 with 819 viewsredrickstuhaart

Unusually you make a fair point.

It is exceptionally difficult to prosecute under dangerous dogs legislation, because you have to meet the definition of the breed, and these things are rarely pedigrees with certificates saying what they are.
XL Bully dogs to be banned on 19:13 - Sep 15 with 793 viewsLesta_Tractor

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 15:32 - Sep 15 by blueasfook

Everyone should just be allowed to have a cockapoo. Cockapoos don't harm anyone.

Dunno mate, my cockapoo might lick you to death...

Either that or she'll eat all of your food and you'll starve to death.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 19:19 - Sep 15 with 778 viewsnodge_blue

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 12:02 - Sep 15 by Lord_Lucan

Ridiculous decision.

Nothing wrong with those dogs but the breeders and the owners.

Now the dullards will move on to another breed and everything will repeat.

Any dog breed that has killed men, women and children is clearly too dangerous to be safe. Coupled with some owners probably encourage a level of aggression. But you have to remove these dogs.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 19:52 - Sep 15 with 744 viewsRyorry

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 13:41 - Sep 15 by blueasfook

Hands down, the most aggressive dogs I have come across have been Yorkshire terriers. Horrible little ankle biters!

Agree with your sentiments, horrible snappy little ankle biters; but if you've ever watched 'Forged in Fire, then in the immortal words of Doug the ancient edged weapons expert -

"That weapon is sharp, but it weel not keel!"

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 09:29 - Sep 16 with 648 viewsLord_Lucan

Yes, they are technically a cross breed from the outset and I heard on the radio this morning that the last two attacks were crossed with Staffs.

They are a big dog and capable of serious harm if bred to do so , but, would you ban a Rottweiler, Bull Mastif etc etc, they can also be trained to kill and my point is that if XL Bully’s weren’t available the dealers etc would turn to another breed.

So, if the argument is to ban all dogs over 40 kilos for example, that is an argument which I could understand and although I don’t agree with it it has a degree of sense behind it. Banning XL Bully’s does not.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

XL Bully dogs to be banned on 10:03 - Sep 16 with 627 viewsBloomBlue

But by banning the breed it makes it easier to stop the supply ie the breeders. The most agreesive breed I've ever seen is Japanese Tosa, but that breed was banned in the UK and how many of those do you see being walked around Britain? By banning it, it allowed the police the ability to target breeders and supply coming into the country.

I agree any breed can be trained to be agreesive, but breeds like the XL bully are agreesive by default.

I've said previously we banned guns in this country but not everyone who owned a gun was going round shooting people. But we banned them to stop those few nuts who could use a gun from shooting people the ability to get a gun. Now in the US, they think the opposite and that's crazy as its not the guns which is the issue its the few crazy people who use them inappropriately. The US argue you should target the crazy gun owners not the supply of guns and we laugh at that approach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024