Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... 08:54 - Aug 10 with 3113 viewsitfcjoe

Slicker - really assured debut, great sweeper keeper work, good with his feet, doesn't look like he lacks confident - impressive

Ball - Defended well, ok going forwards, a decent option in the squad with his versatility

Edmundson - best he's looked for a while, defended well, used the ball well and was vocal in organising those around him. Hopefully he can begin to push the starting 2

Baggott - pretty assured in the main, very good in the air and some nice step forwards with the ball. Got caught a couple of times but think he'll benefit from staying here for a few months

Leigh - able deputy as always, great athleticism although still a bit short technically

Evans - His long range passing at usual good standards, but a bit sloppy in our own half with the ball. Looks a long way off starting for us

Taylor - great to get a goal, made some nice forward moves. Still looked a little lost at times in formation and forced things a bit but more positives than negatives

Jackson - does well as he normally does, works well up and down the pitch and decent delivery from wide areas

Hutchinson - thought he struggled a bit, always wanted one extra touch and looks like he has a lot of learning to do. Generally worked hard though and this game will have helped him.

Harness - does so much well off the ball, and always lands on it in great areas with his fitness and game smarts - but execution wise on the ball he makes so many errors on simple passes or playing where someone not running to etc

Ladapo - certainly nothing to write home about, worked hard enough off the ball but pretty poor on it. Feels like the step down from Hirst is getting bigger and bigger

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 08:55 - Aug 10 with 3048 viewsAsa

Pretty much agree with every single word.
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:03 - Aug 10 with 2990 viewsRobTheMonk

You've perfectly summed up Harness as a player there. He's got the footballing brain, but the ability is lacking at times.
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:06 - Aug 10 with 2962 viewstractorboy1978

I think Slicker is going to push Hladky very hard, very soon. In terms of confidence, they are absolute polar opposites. He was taking up positions last night that I've never seen an ITFC keeper do before! Can see clearly he was schooled at Man City.

And Humphreys will be ahead of Evans in the pecking order pretty quickly too.
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:08 - Aug 10 with 2926 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Great post.

I wonder if Hutchinson struggled a little because the game itself lacked intensity and tempo - looked like two teams who were just comfortable being comfortable. He looks like he got caught in the tempo of the game therefore taking an extra touch rather than being sharp and moving it quicker.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:16 - Aug 10 with 2825 viewstextbackup

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:06 - Aug 10 by tractorboy1978

I think Slicker is going to push Hladky very hard, very soon. In terms of confidence, they are absolute polar opposites. He was taking up positions last night that I've never seen an ITFC keeper do before! Can see clearly he was schooled at Man City.

And Humphreys will be ahead of Evans in the pecking order pretty quickly too.

CM is already ahead of Evans.

I’d be gutted to see Evans in the team ahead of CM

Slicker was really decent
[Post edited 10 Aug 2023 9:20]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:17 - Aug 10 with 2799 viewstractorboy1978

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:16 - Aug 10 by textbackup

He is for me too but Evans was on the bench ahead of him on Sunday.
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:20 - Aug 10 with 2772 viewsGuthrum

I particularly liked a couple of occasions when Slicker was well out of his area, faced with an oncoming Rovers player, he decisively put the ball well out (with both boot and head), rather than faffing about and risking dispossession.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:21 - Aug 10 with 2768 viewshomer_123

It's interesting but not surprising that we are starting to see some gaps open up.

With Edwards on his way, Harness will really need to step up - just not effective enough even though he does so much right.

Jackson continues to show his worth as well, heavily underrated.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:45 - Aug 10 with 2544 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It was an odd game as it felt like we sleepwalked through most of it. First half was just so easy as Rovers showed no sign that they were even interested in trying to get back in the game. They improved second half, but we didn’t really react to it until the big guns came on towards the end.

I came away thinking that no-one had convinced me that they should be seriously pushing to start on Saturday

Poll: Our final position

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:46 - Aug 10 with 2535 viewsTVRBlue

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:16 - Aug 10 by textbackup

But they're different types of midfield players.

Evans is a more defensive minded midfielder, breaking up play and recycling the ball when able to. The splayed diagonal passes he makes are very good too, when he has players available to make those passes to. Apologies to Evans but he's a slightly slower Morsy type of player, not quite as mobile/dynamic if you get what I mean.

Humphpreys is a quicker player (youth on his side?) but is yet to "fill out" to be a defensive force in midfield which is why he plays a more forward thinking and, usually, forward passing/attacking midfield role.

Because of the above I can see why McKenna had defensively capable Evans on the bench (if needed) against Sunderland on Sunday, a team that finished in the Championship play-offs last season. He had the option to bring him on to "hold" the midfield if he felt it ncessary. It's not lost on me that our midfield was a little bit lost the first 15/20 minutes on Sunday though.

As 9 subs are allowed as part of the match day squad I think there will be games when both Evans and Humphreys could be on the bench.

Two very good, but different, midfield players in my eyes.
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:54 - Aug 10 with 2467 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:46 - Aug 10 by TVRBlue

But they're different types of midfield players.

Evans is a more defensive minded midfielder, breaking up play and recycling the ball when able to. The splayed diagonal passes he makes are very good too, when he has players available to make those passes to. Apologies to Evans but he's a slightly slower Morsy type of player, not quite as mobile/dynamic if you get what I mean.

Humphpreys is a quicker player (youth on his side?) but is yet to "fill out" to be a defensive force in midfield which is why he plays a more forward thinking and, usually, forward passing/attacking midfield role.

Because of the above I can see why McKenna had defensively capable Evans on the bench (if needed) against Sunderland on Sunday, a team that finished in the Championship play-offs last season. He had the option to bring him on to "hold" the midfield if he felt it ncessary. It's not lost on me that our midfield was a little bit lost the first 15/20 minutes on Sunday though.

As 9 subs are allowed as part of the match day squad I think there will be games when both Evans and Humphreys could be on the bench.

Two very good, but different, midfield players in my eyes.

I wouldn’t say Evans is a particularly defence minded midfielder- that’s Ball imho. Evans likes to sit deep so he can spread the play but I wouldn’t say that breaking up the game is particularly his forte.

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 2436 viewsunstableblue

A nice summary, with I think a mostly accurate view, building on a number of existing posts and views from last night.

My only additional thoughts or tweaks to your point of view:

Think Ball was more impressive for me, and he was one of the few last night who I feel is truly pressing for a first team a lot. But then again Clarke in his cameo looks another level (as did Hirst, Chaplin and indeed Aluko when they came on)

Baggot was excellent, my MOTM. I agree he’ll benefit from being around and pivotal for first team training. And he gets another game at Reading in the cup.

I agree Evans was not as poor as some have suggested, as you say some of his longer passing was excellent. He’s just not grabbing the game.

Taylor was overall positive. And he needed that. Lots of good attributes. But he’s not getting the system quite yet, and he still goes for some easy short options rather than grabbing the situation.

Hutchison for me was a mild concern, if he’s going to be a real impact sub or even starter at Championship level then he’s going to have to do some pretty quick learning, it’s just about the amount of move involvements were it ends in something effective - a shot, assist to a chance, assist or goal. Probably being harsh as he basically had an assist last night. But Jackson was overall way more effective.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 2432 viewsbackwaywhen

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:03 - Aug 10 by RobTheMonk

You've perfectly summed up Harness as a player there. He's got the footballing brain, but the ability is lacking at times.

You forgot to mention …… always ends up committing a foul , every time !
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:03 - Aug 10 with 2381 viewstextbackup

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:57 - Aug 10 by backwaywhen

You forgot to mention …… always ends up committing a foul , every time !

Yep, really noticeable lastnight.

Gets the ball in a good position, looks around, pass does reach intended position, chases player down to win it back, foul…
And repeat

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:06 - Aug 10 with 2350 viewsJakeITFC

Really noticeable how much Harness picked up the ball in really nice areas yesterday (especially picking up little pockets in order to allow a defender to break the lines with one pass) and then did something really frustrating once we had it. I feel like the former is probably more important for the way we play, but not sure we can get rid of the rest of it at this stage in his career.

Thought it was night and day how much more effective we looked in our joined up attacking play once Chaplin and Hirst appeared.
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:09 - Aug 10 with 2321 viewsTVRBlue

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:54 - Aug 10 by southnorfolkblue

I wouldn’t say Evans is a particularly defence minded midfielder- that’s Ball imho. Evans likes to sit deep so he can spread the play but I wouldn’t say that breaking up the game is particularly his forte.

Fair point on Evans, thanks. Although there are agressive defensive midfield players that tackle um,....aggresively, a bit like Morsy can, and then there are defensive midfielders that "read the game" and their defensive work is more stepping in and intercepting play, a bit like the under-appreciated (by some) Cole Skuse did a lot of the time, and I think that's more Evans style of defensive work.

Anyway, I respect your opinion and happy to agree to disagree.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2023 10:12]
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:09 - Aug 10 with 2317 viewsKTBlue

How did Clarke look when he came on? Think he'll be a starter on Saturday?
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:11 - Aug 10 with 2271 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:09 - Aug 10 by KTBlue

Did very little tbh, but in fairness he wasn’t on long.

I’d be surprised if he ousts JD on Saturday personally.

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:19 - Aug 10 with 2212 viewsSamWhiteUK

Confused - you mean CH? Humphreys? Determined to work out what you mean without looking at the squad list in case there's someone obvious I'm missing
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:37 - Aug 10 with 2010 viewsMookamoo

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 09:54 - Aug 10 by southnorfolkblue

That is Evans problem at the moment. He can't cover Morsy's ball retention/winning, nor get forward often enough to cause problems behind their midfield 2/3.

The ground that Luongo covers frees up the space Broadhead and Davis need and by the looks of it Taylor will be able to do the same. Evans is kinda stuck. He can pick a pass, but we have Broadhead and Davis for that - we need a squad alternative to Morsy who is able get those two the ball when we don't have it. That is more likely Ball than Evans at the moment
[Redacted] on 10:53 - Aug 10 with 1886 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 10:56 - Aug 10 with 1869 viewsvictorywilhappen

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:03 - Aug 10 by textbackup

Yep, really noticeable lastnight.

Gets the ball in a good position, looks around, pass does reach intended position, chases player down to win it back, foul…
And repeat

[Redacted]
Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 11:14 - Aug 10 with 1769 viewsitfcjoe

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 10:09 - Aug 10 by KTBlue

I think straight away you just notice how much more he gives you with that sheer athleticism and intent - think from last night it was noticeable tjust how big a drop there is between Hirst and Clarke compared to Ladapo and Ball.....with the obvious proviso that ball was doing an admirable job out of position

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 11:22 - Aug 10 with 1712 viewstextbackup

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 11:14 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

I think straight away you just notice how much more he gives you with that sheer athleticism and intent - think from last night it was noticeable tjust how big a drop there is between Hirst and Clarke compared to Ladapo and Ball.....with the obvious proviso that ball was doing an admirable job out of position

I was a little worried Clarke looked slightly uncomfortable in final moments, he made a couple of runs and his face looked a bit as though something wasn’t right. Hope I’m completely wrong though

Quick player by player thoughts from last night..... on 11:29 - Aug 10 with 1654 viewsbaxterbasics

Lovely to see Sone getting back in the mix too. I still think he may make some important contributions in the league as the games and injuries mount up.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024