Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wilco, who's next ? 21:09 - Aug 3 with 2173 viewsHARRY10

Others to follow.

It would be a shame to lose them, as like some old fashioned 'ironmongers' they always had what you wanted. Perhaps that is their downfall. Carrying too much stock that had a low turnover.

Shops like this can no longer compete for price with the internet on things that are not for immediate use. To serve 30m or so customers, Amazon need a couple of warehouse. Wilco need 400 shops serving far fewer customers.

The shelves had looked half empty for months. I guess suppliers removed the '30 day payment' and wanted C.O.D.

"I don't think we'll see Wilko disappear from the High Street, because it's such a well-loved brand and shoppers hold it in high regard."

Lets hope.
Wilco, who's next ? on 21:16 - Aug 3 with 2123 viewsJ2BLUE

They will probably move to retail parks and out of town centres.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:13 - Aug 3 with 1993 viewsPinewoodblue

Suspect you have underestimated the Amazon network at least ten fold.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:27 - Aug 3 with 1961 viewsMattinLondon

Customers - we want top brand shops in the town centre.
Same customers - but Amazon is so much more convenient and cheaper.
Wilco, who's next ? on 22:37 - Aug 3 with 1928 viewswkj

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:27 - Aug 3 by MattinLondon

Customers - we want top brand shops in the town centre.
Same customers - but Amazon is so much more convenient and cheaper.

I honestly think the only thing that keeps people wanting retailers in town centre is Nostalgia now. Wilco will probably be okay if they streamline their range and open up somewhere more accessible like retail parks - but honestly, it always seemed like an overpriced pound shop to me.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:45 - Aug 3 with 1904 viewsSarge

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:37 - Aug 3 by wkj

I honestly think the only thing that keeps people wanting retailers in town centre is Nostalgia now. Wilco will probably be okay if they streamline their range and open up somewhere more accessible like retail parks - but honestly, it always seemed like an overpriced pound shop to me.

I quite like Wilko, useful for garden and DIY stuff and priced around the same as B&M but without the overarching smell of sweat
Wilco, who's next ? on 22:48 - Aug 3 with 1894 viewsMattinLondon

I disagree - I love walking around Waterstones and deciding what book to buy. The same with art stuff at a local art shop - or even The Range.
Wilco, who's next ? on 22:53 - Aug 3 with 1883 viewswkj

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:48 - Aug 3 by MattinLondon

I disagree - I love walking around Waterstones and deciding what book to buy. The same with art stuff at a local art shop - or even The Range.

The shops themselves are not quite what I mean, but rather the location of them being in town centre feels like nostalgia. If the UK keeps going for strip malls around retail parks then I could see Waterstones and other stores being there. As for local shops like the art shop - I really can't see how the current interest rates are going to give them much of a chance unfortunately.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Wilco, who's next ? on 03:17 - Aug 4 with 1725 viewsHARRY10

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:13 - Aug 3 by Pinewoodblue

Suspect you have underestimated the Amazon network at least ten fold.

Ah yes, silly me thinking the UK had a population of around 67m, whereas it appears to be around 670m

ah well, you live and learn
Login to get fewer ads

Wilco, who's next ? on 06:51 - Aug 4 with 1636 viewschicoazul

Wilco, who's next ? on 22:53 - Aug 3 by wkj

The shops themselves are not quite what I mean, but rather the location of them being in town centre feels like nostalgia. If the UK keeps going for strip malls around retail parks then I could see Waterstones and other stores being there. As for local shops like the art shop - I really can't see how the current interest rates are going to give them much of a chance unfortunately.

Local shops are thriving where I live. People definitely prefer them to Home Bargains or whatever. Our high street is busy all the time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Wilco, who's next ? on 07:01 - Aug 4 with 1619 viewsPippin1970

I think it depends where you live. Not been in Ipswich shopping centre in years..Lancaster is booming as huge population of students. Expanding the university amd big money from foreign students. All the shops keep going plus huge expansion of restaurants. Wilkinsons and other retailers keep doing well here. Health food shops seem to be the boom at the moment.
Wilco, who's next ? on 07:46 - Aug 4 with 1538 viewsSwansea_Blue

Depends what I’m buying, but if it anything like clothes or significant gadgets I much prefer shops where I can see and try before buying. There’s hardly any anymore though. Swansea’s a shopping wasteland in the city centre. Out of town places aren’t much better either. Half the units in the out of town place we sometimes go to are empty at the moment - these are the big units for the large high street stores. We’ve got one out of town place by the stadium that’s half ok, and that’s about it.

Fundamentally, we’ve completely screwed up Town planning over the last 30 years in the UK, chasing the US model, and that’s had a knock on effect taking away the demand for public transport too. Online shopping is just the final nail in the coffin.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wilco, who's next ? on 08:24 - Aug 4 with 1449 viewsGuthrum

Wilco, who's next ? on 06:51 - Aug 4 by chicoazul

Local shops are thriving where I live. People definitely prefer them to Home Bargains or whatever. Our high street is busy all the time.

The local mini-High Streets in non-central parts of towns and cities have some advantages. They're often conveniently close for people WFH or picking children up from school, do not require getting the car out and finding somewhere to park. Rents are likely cheaper than in the centre. People may feel the smaller scale is more "comfortable". They can actually get to know the shopkeepers and staff.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 8:24]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wilco, who's next ? on 08:27 - Aug 4 with 1436 viewsLord_Lucan

Wilco, who's next ? on 21:16 - Aug 3 by J2BLUE

They will probably move to retail parks and out of town centres.

I'm surprised they lasted so long and I can't see them surviving or selling, they've been looking for a buyer for months.

We have had three firms go bust on us in two weeks and one of the bastards has started up again immediately, just shed the debt and start again.

Those big buildings Wilco operate in must cost an absolute fortune.

There was only one man who can save the hight street, and he's dead.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Wilco, who's next ? on 13:43 - Aug 4 with 1280 viewsbluebudgie

Surprised you didn't blame Brexit Harry
Wilco, who's next ? on 18:02 - Aug 4 with 1107 viewsronnyd

Not really surprised that they are struggling. I use the Bury St Eds. branch and the number of empty and sparse shelves has been increasing recently.
Wilco, who's next ? on 22:40 - Aug 4 with 969 viewsBlueForYou

Wilco, who's next ? on 07:01 - Aug 4 by Pippin1970

I think it depends where you live. Not been in Ipswich shopping centre in years..Lancaster is booming as huge population of students. Expanding the university amd big money from foreign students. All the shops keep going plus huge expansion of restaurants. Wilkinsons and other retailers keep doing well here. Health food shops seem to be the boom at the moment.

I stayed a night in Lancaster recently, on the way to the Lake District. Was very impressed with the place actually.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024