Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North Sea oil 09:52 - Aug 1 with 5420 viewsCotty

What the feck are we doing??!
North Sea oil on 09:58 - Aug 1 with 3496 viewsDanTheMan

We're drilling for more fossil fuels to suit corporate interests under the guise of "energy security" and bundling it up with a fairly unproven technology in carbon capture to try and convince people it's green.

It'll probably work.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

North Sea oil on 09:58 - Aug 1 with 3495 viewsGuthrum

Probably a combination of responding to lobbying, pressure to preserve jobs (and thus votes) in Scotland and the North East, plus short-termist, simplistic ideas of economics and energy security.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

North Sea oil on 10:17 - Aug 1 with 3415 viewsGunnsAirkick

Enriching Tory donors, they're not even trying to hide it anymore.
North Sea oil on 10:23 - Aug 1 with 3390 viewsNthQldITFC

We've accepted that we won't sacrifice our luxuries in order to prevent the collapse of climate systems, food and water supplies, law and order, civil society, international peace and natural ecosystems.

We've then taken the arguably rational if immoral and defeatist position of maximising pretty meaningless personal and corporate wealth in a dying and blindingly obviously incompatible growth-focussed economic system.

We don't care.

We've given up, whilst trying to pretend we haven't.

We're dead.

And that's what we're passing on to our children.

...except there's still a chance to make some potentially beneficial changes if we all just face up to the fact that we have to live far, far, far more frugally, and co-incidentally more happily.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

North Sea oil on 10:37 - Aug 1 with 3340 viewsLord_Lucan

North Sea oil on 10:23 - Aug 1 by NthQldITFC

We've accepted that we won't sacrifice our luxuries in order to prevent the collapse of climate systems, food and water supplies, law and order, civil society, international peace and natural ecosystems.

We've then taken the arguably rational if immoral and defeatist position of maximising pretty meaningless personal and corporate wealth in a dying and blindingly obviously incompatible growth-focussed economic system.

We don't care.

We're dead.

...except there's still a chance to make some potentially beneficial changes if we all just face up to the fact that we have to live far, far, far more frugally, and co-incidentally more happily.

Well it's something I have no particular great expertise on but if I were to play devils advocate I would probably suggest it's to have enough energy for an ever increasing requirement should the wind stop and the sun go in, I would also put it that it might help to solve fossil fuel reliance on potential future enemy and or rogue states and at the same time reducing the need to import it from 1000's of miles away thus decreasing the energy footprint.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

North Sea oil on 10:47 - Aug 1 with 3297 viewsRyorry

Less of the "we" please - I don't think any of us on here are execs in global oil corporations, & going by previous similar threads I'd say the vast majority of TWTDers are fully signed up to reducing our carbon footprints, lowering emissions, encouraging renewables, environmental protections etc., as well as to booting out the tories asap.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

North Sea oil on 10:48 - Aug 1 with 3289 viewsCotty

North Sea oil on 10:47 - Aug 1 by Ryorry

Less of the "we" please - I don't think any of us on here are execs in global oil corporations, & going by previous similar threads I'd say the vast majority of TWTDers are fully signed up to reducing our carbon footprints, lowering emissions, encouraging renewables, environmental protections etc., as well as to booting out the tories asap.

Well yes I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with the Tories or new drilling. But you get my point which is: WTF?
North Sea oil on 11:00 - Aug 1 with 3239 viewsKievthegreat

North Sea oil on 10:37 - Aug 1 by Lord_Lucan

Well it's something I have no particular great expertise on but if I were to play devils advocate I would probably suggest it's to have enough energy for an ever increasing requirement should the wind stop and the sun go in, I would also put it that it might help to solve fossil fuel reliance on potential future enemy and or rogue states and at the same time reducing the need to import it from 1000's of miles away thus decreasing the energy footprint.

If we want to reduce fossil fuel reliance, the most straight forward solution is to use less, not make more ourselves. This is especially true if we're going to talk about the stupid false economy they sex up as "carbon capture".

Additionally if you want to maintain adequate power on sunless windless days, we can have a baseline of Nuclear plus energy storage to keep everything ticking along. No need for oil,coal or gas.
Login to get fewer ads

North Sea oil on 11:01 - Aug 1 with 3233 viewsRyorry

North Sea oil on 10:48 - Aug 1 by Cotty

Well yes I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with the Tories or new drilling. But you get my point which is: WTF?

Yep, completely understand your vent.

Supposedly pro-business, pro-entreprenurial Con party refusing to get it about the potential boom for a green economy - guaranteed market for it as it's blindingly obviously the only way to go for humans to be able to continue living on this planet - just confirms their complete & bizarre short-sighted* corruption to me.

*"Yee haa, we'll leave our grandkids £squillions in the bank. So what if they don't have any water or food or agricultural land or live-able climate to survive on?".

North Sea oil on 11:08 - Aug 1 with 3206 viewsGuthrum

Except that oil is used to produce just 0.2% of the UK's electricity supply*, so it won't help replace renewables.

The other problem with oil is that different regions of the world produce varying grades (heavy/light, sulphur levels, etc.), which are used for different things, from heating oil to petrol to plastics and chemicals. North Sea crude will not supply all of our needs and obviate imports.

* April 2023 figures: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

North Sea oil on 11:13 - Aug 1 with 3175 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It’s a red herring thrown out to the press.

They won’t even be in office when this comes to fruition. By the time exploration and preparatory drilling was carried out a decade will have passed and the demand won’t even be there (at least from a UK perspective. Not to mention it’s fairly deep water, so highly reliant on a strong crude price in order to be viable anyway.
North Sea oil on 11:14 - Aug 1 with 3167 viewsGuthrum

North Sea oil on 11:08 - Aug 1 by Guthrum

Except that oil is used to produce just 0.2% of the UK's electricity supply*, so it won't help replace renewables.

The other problem with oil is that different regions of the world produce varying grades (heavy/light, sulphur levels, etc.), which are used for different things, from heating oil to petrol to plastics and chemicals. North Sea crude will not supply all of our needs and obviate imports.

* April 2023 figures: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

Regarding gas, which does still produce a lot of our electricity (42.7%), we have good reserves of that already. It was imported from Russia because it was cheap and because our suppliers are European owned, making the UK part of a continental problem.

The fastest way to ensure gas security would be to bring it all under government control (i.e. nationalisation).

North Sea oil on 12:19 - Aug 1 with 3050 viewsDarth_Koont

Business as usual, surely?

Pronouns: He/Him

North Sea oil on 12:39 - Aug 1 with 2967 viewseireblue

North Sea oil on 13:11 - Aug 1 with 2887 viewswhymark4lazio0

Look at this astonishing chart (see tweet below)- the potential for new gas is miniscule- you can hardly see it (needs a big red arrow to point it out). It proves that govt's arguements are bogus and performative.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

North Sea oil on 13:58 - Aug 1 with 2782 viewsHogger

Sadly, that is not the case though. Most of our gas for instance is from non-hostile Norway (only 4% from Russia). Moreover, most of the oil and gas platforms are run by foriegn companies, including China! And the products are sold on the open market so the prices are also not goign to change. The 1.5 billion that Sunak's company invested in this area 2 months ago is more likely to be the reason...
North Sea oil on 15:30 - Aug 1 with 2731 viewsRyorry

North Sea oil on 13:58 - Aug 1 by Hogger

Sadly, that is not the case though. Most of our gas for instance is from non-hostile Norway (only 4% from Russia). Moreover, most of the oil and gas platforms are run by foriegn companies, including China! And the products are sold on the open market so the prices are also not goign to change. The 1.5 billion that Sunak's company invested in this area 2 months ago is more likely to be the reason...

See also Cameron's fracking "dash for gas" idiocy. Same pseudo argument for it, same rock solid (sorry) arguments against it (plus other additional serious negatives).

North Sea oil on 15:32 - Aug 2 with 2542 viewsBent_double

As ever, Jonathan Pie nails it

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

North Sea oil on 16:04 - Aug 2 with 2471 viewsjayessess

North Sea oil on 10:23 - Aug 1 by NthQldITFC

We don't care.

We're dead.

Yeah, we've entered the bargaining phase of climate change denial.

We've got time to be gradual (we don't)
We'll soon have tech that'll solve this (we won't)
There must be a way to halt climate change that doesn't involve sacrifices (there isn't)
OK, but we don't want to spend much money (we have to)
We'll do it when the bigger countries do it (we won't)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

North Sea oil on 17:33 - Aug 2 with 2386 viewsnodge_blue

North Sea oil on 11:14 - Aug 1 by Guthrum

Regarding gas, which does still produce a lot of our electricity (42.7%), we have good reserves of that already. It was imported from Russia because it was cheap and because our suppliers are European owned, making the UK part of a continental problem.

The fastest way to ensure gas security would be to bring it all under government control (i.e. nationalisation).

Yes true. The UK doesnt own the oil as such...the oil companies just produce it and sell it to the market. So we dont really secure our own resources.

However having taken billlions ro sell the right to explore these oil fields im not sure legally how we woule ever be able to nationalise it now

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

North Sea oil on 17:58 - Aug 2 with 2350 viewslowhouseblue

we're flying too much, we're driving too much, we're consuming too much and shipping it round the world, our consumption is energy intensive, we're over heating our houses and losing the heat through bad insulation and we're producing that heat inefficiently. all of which which means that current wealthy western lifestyles consume vast amounts of fossil fuels. the exact hole those fossil fuels come out of is neither here nor there. the government shouldn't be increasing north sea production, but we can't pretend this is nothing to do with us or what we do.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

North Sea oil on 19:00 - Aug 2 with 2261 viewsnoggin

North Sea oil on 12:19 - Aug 1 by Darth_Koont

Business as usual, surely?

Who cares? I'll be dead in 40 years.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

North Sea oil on 19:07 - Aug 2 with 2233 viewsnoggin

North Sea oil on 17:58 - Aug 2 by lowhouseblue

we're flying too much, we're driving too much, we're consuming too much and shipping it round the world, our consumption is energy intensive, we're over heating our houses and losing the heat through bad insulation and we're producing that heat inefficiently. all of which which means that current wealthy western lifestyles consume vast amounts of fossil fuels. the exact hole those fossil fuels come out of is neither here nor there. the government shouldn't be increasing north sea production, but we can't pretend this is nothing to do with us or what we do.

We're encouraged to consume. Maybe advertising should be outlawed, but that would mean the end of capitalism.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2023 19:08]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

North Sea oil on 19:12 - Aug 2 with 2216 viewsNthQldITFC

North Sea oil on 19:07 - Aug 2 by noggin

We're encouraged to consume. Maybe advertising should be outlawed, but that would mean the end of capitalism.

Yes please.

Where can I buy the biggest and best 'end of capitalism' that they make? It must be bigger and newer than my neighbour's 'end of capitalism'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

North Sea oil on 19:18 - Aug 2 with 2179 viewslowhouseblue

North Sea oil on 19:07 - Aug 2 by noggin

what a cop out. people don't need to be encouraged to want plenty and convenience and novelty and status. humans are acquisitive. we want an easy life with lots of material things. fossil fuels have given us all that. you can't blame some "them".
[Post edited 2 Aug 2023 19:34]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024