Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talking of teachers 20:22 - Jul 31 with 4085 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who made a difference to you?

Mr Woodwood, Britannia Primary, was formative for me. Taught me that there’s more to life than the academic side. He’d probably be banned now, but we learnt a lot through sport and play.

Mr Moon, Geography at Copleston, was pretty significant too considering I went on to get a degree, MSc and PhD in geography.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Talking of teachers on 20:35 - Jul 31 with 2751 viewsDubtractor

I'm honestly struggling to answer this. Not in the spirit of the thread, but I had a largely forgettable array of teachers (sure they think the same of me too!). All mostly competent, but not too many that I'd say made a difference. Worth noting that my academic achievements are mediocre, at best, and where I am in my working life now bears little relation to my education, just a case of circumstance leading me to where I am.

But I'll give two notable mentions, just to take part.

Mr Lester, maths teacher for my GCSE and A levels at Farlingaye , who came out with our group of lads for an end of 6th form night out, and got more sh1t faced than any of us, and was a genuinely decent bloke (hence we asked him to join us).

Mr Harris, Sociology teacher at Farlingaye, for 2 reasons. 1 - the most amazing inverse sideburns that ended about an inch above his ears. It was like he couldn't get them level and kept trimming an extra bit off until they matched. 2 - I scored a double hat-trick past him in goal in the 6th form vs teachers football match.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Talking of teachers on 20:44 - Jul 31 with 2729 viewsDJR

Mrs Wise at Clifford Road Primary School, a real old-fashioned teacher.

And several at Northgate, including Mr Gosling (maths),"Wally" Walshaw (geography) and Mr Robin (rugby).
Talking of teachers on 20:49 - Jul 31 with 2715 viewsSE1blue

Mr Watts, A Level History teacher at Great Cornard Upper School circa 1990/91.

His lessons were like Horrible Histories with a really funny 'adult' element. Half his material probably wouldn't be allowed now, and probably shouldn't have been said then, but for the first time in my life, I wanted to learn.

The day me and my best mate got our A Level results, he was really keen to see how we had done. We both passed with flying colours and he was so, so pleased to the point we had to ask him why. Turns out the other History teacher had bet him £50 we would both fail.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Talking of teachers on 20:50 - Jul 31 with 2708 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lol....so you didn't know what you wanted to do when you grew up either!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Talking of teachers on 20:52 - Jul 31 with 2699 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Talking of teachers on 20:35 - Jul 31 by Dubtractor

I'm honestly struggling to answer this. Not in the spirit of the thread, but I had a largely forgettable array of teachers (sure they think the same of me too!). All mostly competent, but not too many that I'd say made a difference. Worth noting that my academic achievements are mediocre, at best, and where I am in my working life now bears little relation to my education, just a case of circumstance leading me to where I am.

But I'll give two notable mentions, just to take part.

Mr Lester, maths teacher for my GCSE and A levels at Farlingaye , who came out with our group of lads for an end of 6th form night out, and got more sh1t faced than any of us, and was a genuinely decent bloke (hence we asked him to join us).

Mr Harris, Sociology teacher at Farlingaye, for 2 reasons. 1 - the most amazing inverse sideburns that ended about an inch above his ears. It was like he couldn't get them level and kept trimming an extra bit off until they matched. 2 - I scored a double hat-trick past him in goal in the 6th form vs teachers football match.

Proof Dubbers that anyone can make it and one day own a ride on mower.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

I had a geography teacher called..... on 20:55 - Jul 31 with 2698 viewsBloots

....Miss Donkersloot.

She added nothing to my education, but did give me a useful gauge upon which to judge stupid names for the rest of my life.

Cheers Miss.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Talking of teachers on 21:04 - Jul 31 with 2659 viewsMattinLondon

Mr Woodwood was probably ahead of his time. He loved baseball.

Mr Smith was a dick though.
Talking of teachers on 22:18 - Jul 31 with 2547 viewsKeno

I’ve mentioned him before but Mr Hogan at Northgate

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Talking of teachers on 22:36 - Jul 31 with 2505 viewsPerublue

Was there any truth in the rumours that Mr Moon was ex-SAS ?
From the same era and subject area ? Mr Dinky Dawson although never taught me had a great influence on me.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Talking of teachers on 23:16 - Jul 31 with 2435 viewsChurchman

I went to a private school at 11 and my teacher was a man called The Colonel. He really was a ex-Colonel in the Chindits in WW2 and used to rule on military lines. Brutally. He seemed to be permanently enraged. Legacy of the war I suppose. If you could get him on the subject he’d describe bayoneting and shooting Japanese in the jungle and how they’d burn them out with flame throwers. His face would go purple and the eyes would roll. He was a good teacher though. No dossing about and fortunately he didn’t mind me.

At my next skool at 13 it was my misfortune to have a house master called George. The masters were not allowed to use the cane. Only the head could do that. But they could use anything else. Lumps of wood, cricket bats you name it and George’s speciality was using rugby or cricket boots as a bolus. I learned nothing from him.

Yet another fierce b&gger was a chap known as Colin (they were always known by names but not to their faces. Sir or Mr … was the drill. They all wore gowns too). This bloke scared the life out of everyone and would make your life a misery if you got on the wrong side. But he was very supportive / helpful to me in later school years and I learned a lot from him.

I went to boys schools from the age of 11 and most of the older masters had been in the war. The younger ones of course hadn’t and were generally less ‘rigid’. I can’t say I enjoyed school really. I had some good times and of course my friends but I was happy to leave - not least because in my final year I was boarding, but that’s another story.
Talking of teachers on 06:38 - Aug 1 with 2294 viewsChondzoresk

You are same era as me. I had Mr Woodward at Britannia. But the teacher who made the biggest difference was Peter Dawson at Copleston. Even when I did pee him off about my irresponsible attitude. I leant from that.

I remember Mr Moon. Do you remember Mrs Cooper the music teacher with her selection of leather canes in her cupboard? An honourable mention to Mrs Horswill…I think that was her name.
Talking of teachers on 06:42 - Aug 1 with 2287 viewsDJR

Talking of teachers on 22:18 - Jul 31 by Keno

I’ve mentioned him before but Mr Hogan at Northgate

Remind me what he taught. I think I may have forgotten him, not least because I had a Professor Hogan at university.
Talking of teachers on 07:18 - Aug 1 with 2250 viewsKeno

Talking of teachers on 06:42 - Aug 1 by DJR

Remind me what he taught. I think I may have forgotten him, not least because I had a Professor Hogan at university.

English, history, hockey and how to be a decent person

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Talking of teachers on 07:30 - Aug 1 with 2224 viewsDJR

Talking of teachers on 07:18 - Aug 1 by Keno

English, history, hockey and how to be a decent person

Still doesn't ring a bell, but maybe he never taught me, or had left, because I think you might have been there slightly before me.

Another decent teacher I remember was Mr Horsfield, who taught history.
Talking of teachers on 07:31 - Aug 1 with 2218 viewsElephantintheRoom

Mr Hull - or Jethro as he was known to us juvenile prog rockers was an inspirational maths teacher at Woodbridge in the 60s.

At the other end of the scale a sociopath called Proctor-Robinson or PR loved nothing better than to slap kids around in English Literature lessons.. Startlingly when he popped. His clogs an obituary in the EADT eulogised a great teacher who never had to resort to capital punishment.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Talking of teachers on 07:36 - Aug 1 with 2209 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Talking of teachers on 07:31 - Aug 1 by ElephantintheRoom

Mr Hull - or Jethro as he was known to us juvenile prog rockers was an inspirational maths teacher at Woodbridge in the 60s.

At the other end of the scale a sociopath called Proctor-Robinson or PR loved nothing better than to slap kids around in English Literature lessons.. Startlingly when he popped. His clogs an obituary in the EADT eulogised a great teacher who never had to resort to capital punishment.

Capital punishment, eh? Tough school.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Talking of teachers on 07:39 - Aug 1 with 2207 viewsthebooks

Mr Moon was a nice guy, I remember, and took me through GCSE Geography.

Of that era of Copleston teachers, I'm probably in a minority of one, but Miss Howe gave me a ton of encouragement in English.

Miss Horswell taught drama, for the other query in this thread.
Talking of teachers on 07:50 - Aug 1 with 2186 viewsSwansea_Blue

Talking of teachers on 21:04 - Jul 31 by MattinLondon

Mr Woodwood was probably ahead of his time. He loved baseball.

Mr Smith was a dick though.

Ha, yes. We played softball almost every afternoon through the summer. I don’t think he like being indoors.

Talking of teachers on 07:51 - Aug 1 with 2182 viewsSwansea_Blue

Talking of teachers on 20:50 - Jul 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

Lol....so you didn't know what you wanted to do when you grew up either!

And I still don’t!

Talking of teachers on 08:29 - Aug 1 with 2133 viewsRobTheMonk

My English teacher was brilliant and I never appreciated it until I looked back. He was a chain-smoking alcoholic, but he knew his stuff and had the respect of the class.

My Maths teacher on the other hand was an unpredictable arse. I was chatting to Madge the other day about him. I was in the middle tier for Maths and although I could do my basic Maths easy as Pi ( ), I massively struggled with the more complex stuff. The teacher thought I was just lazy, but I genuinely didn't get it. He used to always ask me the harder questions and then would get increasingly exasperated when I couldn't get the answer. Still remember it 20+ years on and how rubbish he used to make me feel.

Drama teacher was amazingly positive and massively built my confidence.

Had the same teacher for Business and Geography. He was a dictator and didn't let you mess around, but I quite liked that as I knew what to expect.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 13:06]
Talking of teachers on 08:37 - Aug 1 with 2105 viewsGlasgowBlue

Mr Northover from Colbayns in Clacton. Took me nightclubbing with a few of the older students when we went on a school trip to Switzerland.

First time a teacher had treated me like an adult. Although I was 15 at the time.

Great bloke.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Talking of teachers on 08:42 - Aug 1 with 2093 viewsMerthyrblue

No one's mentioned any Chantry teachers from the early 70's I see! Can't say I found any particularly inspiring personally although I mainly found school life a terrifying experience. Honourable mentions to the female art teacher who let us play prog rock during lessons and the scary Mr Amos who did a good job of teaching me Maths. Most terrifying was Nelson the PE teacher - enough said.
Talking of teachers on 08:48 - Aug 1 with 2073 viewsDJR

As English wasn't my thing, I didn't really appreciate Mr Hewitt but one person who did was Trevor Nunn.

[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 8:48]
Talking of teachers on 12:31 - Aug 1 with 1965 viewsFBI

Mr Milton, History at Sudbury Upper in the early 80s. I've been working in Heritage since 1999, including 15 years running a mansion for the National Trust. All credit to him and my grandad, the two people who sent me in that direction.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Talking of teachers on 12:59 - Aug 1 with 1919 viewsDecageBruce

For me it was 2 male teachers at Deben High School in the late 90’s. Mr Moffat was my English teacher, believe he went on to open a book shop in Felixstowe, and Mr Travelian who was my form tutor and then supported me through A-Levels.

I was having a rough time outside of school/with family at the time whilst trying to remain too cool for school but they both saw through the bravado and bullsh*t and quietly and away from the eyes of my peers supported and focused me to get out of the rut and ultimately out of Felixstowe with my qualifications.

Also, not strictly a teacher but ex pro David Barnes who ran a soccer a school and coaching. Took me under his wing around the same time, offered me opportunities and real guidance.

I’ll never forget any of them and how they changed the path I could have gone down
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024